swag question

jststmpit

This may seem like a dumb question, but what type of "swag" are you supposed to put into a cache, after you have removed from it? Do you all have loot hidden in your cars to replace in the cache? Does it have to be official geocache stuff or what?

TIA for any help on this.

Here is a link to a good thread where people are posting pictures of their geocaching bags and the contents of those bags are listed. It is always a good idea to carry a range of items because you never know what you might find and want to trade for.

I watch at stores like WalMart for clearance sales on odd items, you can get some great stuff. I go to dollar stores but I try to be choosy rather than cheesy.

Geoswag can get quite expensive but geocachers try to leave items that match the journey. If you go for a nice hike that takes some time and you find a large ammo can with good swag you are going to want some nice stuff to trade.

If you are dropping into local places and finding quick small caches then you won't need to carry trade items, most micro caches are not suitable for trading.

So take a look over here at the My Geocaching Bag thread and you can get some ideas.

This may seem like a dumb question, but what type of "swag" are you supposed to put into a cache, after you have removed from it? Do you all have loot hidden in your cars to replace in the cache? Does it have to be official geocache stuff or what?

I don't know if you have seen the Christmas Caching Puzzle but your account became eligible tonight! It isn't really easy but it does teach you a lot about the geocaching.com website and these forums. The date was moved back tonight making September accounts eligible to play.

Geocaching is all about finding other players and connecting to them. You use the geocaching.com website to manage all sorts of tasks associated with geocaching, it is a great website.

You are in the Forums already so you have a head start. :rolleyes:

Use the link above or cut and paste this URL in your browser, the Christmas Caching Puzzle thread is right here in the Groundspeak Forums, it is not a redirect. If you can figure out the puzzle you could get a real nice trackable item.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=210468

Edited by wavector

I'm new to all of this as well.

So far my girlfriend and I have been carrying ziplocks in our back packs with the following items.

Glowsticks

Yo-Yos

dollar store pedometers

some misc. toys

some signature items (micro dice for me and tiny alligators for her)

But I plan on bringing a few higher quality items like compasses and other outdoor supplies because I am finding that you will come across more expensive items now and then and it's nice to have something of equal value to trade.

I was told that the golden rules are [ Swag left => Swag taken] & [ Swag left = Child friendly]

I hope that this helps.

But I plan on bringing a few higher quality items like compasses and other outdoor supplies...

Some of the best items you can carry for geocacher appeal can be relatively inexpensive compared to a lot of other outdoor gear. The Groundspeak store carries geocaching.com branded merchandise of all sorts and everyone really likes finding that. Something like an official logbook is a real nice prize. At events and geocacher gatherings caching supplies and pre-made caches are often given as prizes. A real special find is an unactivated trackable item like a Travel Bug or a Geocoin.

You don't have to carry expensive stuff to impress geocachers.

The very best thing to find in a cache is a new unactivated geocoin that is trackable and has a custom icon, that makes me happy.

Now don't get me wrong, finding great stuff doesn't happen often. Most caches are filled with hmmmm... less useful stuff. As a rule I won't use the word treasure when I am talking about geocaching, now pirates is a word I will use. :rolleyes:

Swag doesn't have to be anything official, it's totally up to you... just as long as it's family friendly. Our personal favorite thing to leave is an old coin from the city we are geocaching in at the time which we purchase from Ebay. We also like to frequent antique stores to see what unusual items of interest we can find that relate to the area. Don't think you have to spend a lot of money though. It's all what you prefer.

Our geocaching bag always has some items in it in all sizes for all size caches . :D

I just wanted to add something that I just discovered in the swag recently. That is if you buy a package of tiny stickers from say the Dollar Store you can get 100 for a buck. Most micros will hold a half dozen or more of these. I started dropping some in the micros we visit after noticing how disappointed my 6 year old would get by the 3rd or 4th micro of the day with no swag. A couple of little stickers can make a kids day when they have been finding nothing but micros for a bit.

A couple of little stickers can make a kids day when they have been finding nothing but micros for a bit.

That is not a bad idea. My only problem with stickers is that they end up all over the inside of the cache. If the Micro is of good quality and waterproof there is no real problem with them. Some micro's only have room for a log and that's it. I know what you mean about finding micro caches. I generally filter them out of my PQ when I am taking kids.

I don't purchase much for trading. I mainly get kids things and then let the kids do trades when they come along. I enjoy the signature items much more. I leave a geocaching DVD that is somewhat entertaining. Just me and my kids tearing through the woods.

Since I love to go to yard sales, I get a lot of my swag there. I pick up anything small and cheap. Toys, little trinkets, sometimes pins. I've purchased bags full at sales where they had toys. Sometimes to get rid of stuff people will prepack it into large ziplocks and sell for a buck or two. Fun to find stuff to use. I have a fanny pack in my car filled with the stuff. Just strap on the fanny pack when heading to a cache and you're ready. I also keep any TB's or geocoins in that fanny pack.