Magellan Triton Icon discovery!

mchaos

Well, I got my new Magellan Triton 400 for xmas, and I think its awesome. There is only one thing I am not happy with and that is that I cannot mark geocaches as found. And there is no icon selectable for found cahes... OR is there???

The work around for this problem is to set the icon as something else. I am sure most ppl choose the earth with the flag. but what if you come across the type of cache you have been marking yours found with? You will never know its there......

I wanted to find a way to add an icon possibly. I found where the icons are kept in vantage point, although this does not change or add icons in the GPSr. BUT I made a discovery.

I added an icon for found caches. It was just a big green flag. I wanted to see what it would do. I changed a cache I had found to that Icon. Then I synced it.

When I turned on the GPSr I saw that the icon showed up as a small chest opened up!!! At first I didn't think too much of this till I added another icon, and figured it would show up as the same thing. It showed up as no icon on the GPSr.

I figured out what I did. Apparently there are some icons on the tritons you do not have access too, and by luck I had typed in exactly what the name of one of the icons were.

Found Cache.png

That is the name of it. If you add an icon to vantage point named that, in the media\geocache folder, on the receiver it will show up as an opened treasure chest.

unfortunately you cannot set it to this on the receiver its self, it must be done through vantage point. But if when you get home you update it, you can make sure your next trip out that you will see the caches that you have found.

I wonder if there is an icon for My Cache.png ??? thats my next try. If any one finds any more hidden icons or a way to select it on the receiver PLEASE POST IT!!!

I am sure there must be a file on the receiver that tells it what icons it can use. I will keep hacking till I find a way.

I have an idea on how I may be able to figure out these hidden icons names. I will keep every one updated.

Which version of VP? I don't have that file.

I also have a T400

No, the file is not on vantage point. Its on the receiver but no access to it. What you do is download a PNG icon. just google png icon. You should get a few sites with icons. Pick any icon you want it doesn't matter. you need 2 different sizes. 32x32 and 16x16. I just downloaded it in 32x32 and used infranview to make another 16x16 of the same one. Downloadable for free.

Then you go into the root of VP, then into media\geocahing in there you will see 2 folders. one says 16x16 and 32x32. You name each one exactly " Found Cache.png " And put the correct size icons in the correct size folder.

Now what happens is, when you set a cache to this in VP and sync it to the t400, it tells the T400 to use an icon called Found Cache.png, which is there on the unit, but no where to select when using the unit.

It will display on the unit an open treasure chest on the ones you set it to that icon.

Got it??

How does one get to the root of VP? I have Windows XP...

Start->My Computer

Click on Local Disk (C:)

It may ask you you want to see hidden files, yes you do

Open Program Files

Open Magellan

Open Vantage Point

Open Media

Open Geocaches

There you will find two folders, 32X32 and 16X16

Thanks Skelly! Now I have the two "Found Cache.png" icons in the correct folders, but it's not showing up when I edit the geocache in VP...

Was the file a png when you got it from the internet? If not, you you need to convert them. You can't just change the extention; I free program for this is irfanview...

http://www.irfanview.com/

Most images on the net are gifs or jpegs; so so need to convert it or find one that is already a png file

Thanks Skelly! Now I have the two "Found Cache.png" icons in the correct folders, but it's not showing up when I edit the geocache in VP...

Was the file a png when you got it from the internet? If not, you you need to convert them. You can't just change the extention; I free program for this is irfanview...

Most images on the net are gifs or jpegs; so so need to convert it or find one that is already a png file

Yes, it was a PNG file. When I right click and go to properties, it says it's a irfanview png file. Perhaps I need to choose another icon?...

Did you save it excatly as "Found Cache.png" excatly, capital F and capital C with a space in the middle?

Sure did....Where did you get your icon?..

Update: Got it! I DIDN'T convert the file to PNG. I just assumed it was, as it said on the website it was PNG. Converted, syncing now. Thanks for the help and sorry for the trouble!

Edited by BassMasterCHS

It sounds like the Triton is using a hidden icon. Since you said that it didn't matter what icon you use why even search the internet for an icon? Just open the icon folder on the Triton, copy an icon from each folder to your desktop, rename it and copy it back to the Triton.

Because then the two icons will look the same in VP, so you wouldn't know a Found from whatever other icon you used; so I guess it does matter to some degree

It sounds like the Triton is using a hidden icon. Since you said that it didn't matter what icon you use why even search the internet for an icon? Just open the icon folder on the Triton, copy an icon from each folder to your desktop, rename it and copy it back to the Triton.

Because then the two icons will look the same in VP, so you wouldn't know a Found from whatever other icon you used; so I guess it does matter to some degree

Ahhhh, I see. That's what I get for trying to answer a question for a GPS that I have never seen.

me personally I like to keep track of everything I have found.

Plus, if you delete it off the unit, and sync VP will put it back. I want to keep track of every thing on VP. I have to be able mark it found.

Anyone know which icons are available on the Tritons? I've discovered that, unlike my eXplorist, benchmarks do not show up with a unique icon and are instead assigned the unknown cache (?) icon.