Your Geocoin Collection

Jackalgirl

wow...so many great ideas out there! i used to store my geocoins in light weight plexiglass jewelry travel display cases. those were great for traveling and protection, but not the best for showing. i'm so fond of my small collection of metal art, i wanted to see it all the time, and i wanted others to see the collection too. so i made an investment in a wooden display case with a plexiglass front cover. i started out with one display case, and that one was quickly filled up, and so now i have two display cases, and i have the feeling i may move on to three cases before long! this case may not work out for large geocoin collections or for traveling to events, but for the small collector, like myself, this is a simple yet elegant option for a permanent home location. i'll post a more recent picture soon, since this picture is a few months old:

adbe548f-9292-42af-afee-7b6ea798831e.jpg

All this needs are mirrors glued to the back of the display case so you can get a look at the back side.

That's also reminds me. I have a display case with a glass door, glass shelves and a mirror in the back. It will be perfect for displaying my growing collection. I think we got it about 10 years ago.

I like wood, I like boxes, ...and I like geocoins, so I found some boxes with the appropriate steps to organize my geocoins collection. I've varnished them, ...the boxes!!.

geocoinsboxes.jpg

In time, I guess I'll have different storage media, either for home use these boxes, or small albums to travel, events and trade.

Yesterday I saw a metal briefcase's, to paints and creams, ... I will give the content and use the metal box ;)

Edited by manu luq

wow...so many great ideas out there! i used to store my geocoins in light weight plexiglass jewelry travel display cases. those were great for traveling and protection, but not the best for showing. i'm so fond of my small collection of metal art, i wanted to see it all the time, and i wanted others to see the collection too. so i made an investment in a wooden display case with a plexiglass front cover. i started out with one display case, and that one was quickly filled up, and so now i have two display cases, and i have the feeling i may move on to three cases before long! this case may not work out for large geocoin collections or for traveling to events, but for the small collector, like myself, this is a simple yet elegant option for a permanent home location. i'll post a more recent picture soon, since this picture is a few months old:

adbe548f-9292-42af-afee-7b6ea798831e.jpg

All this needs are mirrors glued to the back of the display case so you can get a look at the back side.

That's also reminds me. I have a display case with a glass door, glass shelves and a mirror in the back. It will be perfect for displaying my growing collection. I think we got it about 10 years ago.

the problem i see with mirrors is they will make the whole scene very busy and hard to see the individual coins. not only will one will seeing the back, all of the backs of the coins as well as the fronts at the same time, but whatever else is in the room that will be reflected in the mirror. does that make sense? i like the way this cabinet looks now, each coin is visually separate from the others. a mirror would just create a jumble.

could you post a photo? this sounds way better than my cardboard boot box. do you still keep the coins in plastic flips?

does the box have a manufacture name?

rsg

The box says "Numis" on the lid, but that's the only identifying mark. The trays come with compartments of several sizes - I have two trays that hold 15 regular coins and two trays that hold 12 large coins. There are trays with smaller compartments, too, I think. Four trays per box, so a box only holds about 60 coins. If my collection ever gets as large as Sweetlife's, I'll need a LOT more boxes!

twotrays.jpg

Whew... I just spent the last two hours reading/looking at all the different ways to store/display geocoins. Wifey's on the other computer looking at lakefront property. I think this is a bit cheaper, but maybe not for some.

Funny how it grows on you. I love finding geocoins in a cache or discovering them in someone's hand. Then I saw this one coin that I thought would be great to carry around and let other geocachers discover. Of course it was no longer made, so I had to trade for it (thanks drneal). That meant buying traders. In the process I found other coins that were "keepers". So now I'm looking for ways to display my keepers, which are currently in a binder with plastic sleeves. No one's allowed to pick it up except me, for fear of them all falling out. My traders fill a small priority mail box. Nine stacks fill it tightly, but it's a bit difficult to look for a particular one, although it allows me to rediscover them on a regular basis.

Thanks for all the great ideas. Each idea seems to have its advantages and disadvantages. I'll let you know what I decide. Also interesting reading about the few misconceptions about how and why we have these travelers.

I currently have my coins in vinyl sheets with 2" pockets and the sheets are 4x5 pockets. As others have mentioned, the coins will not stay put in these pockets. I thought that somewhere I saw a product similar to these sheets, but that had flaps at the top of each pocket and that once the coin was in you could tuck the flap into the pocket so the coin could not fall out. I've looked at Amazon and have Googled looking for the type of product, but not been able to find anything. Have any of you ever seen this, or am I just a victim of old age and not remembering correctly. If you have seen these before, any idea how to get a hold of some? Thanks

I currently have my coins in vinyl sheets with 2" pockets and the sheets are 4x5 pockets. As others have mentioned, the coins will not stay put in these pockets. I thought that somewhere I saw a product similar to these sheets, but that had flaps at the top of each pocket and that once the coin was in you could tuck the flap into the pocket so the coin could not fall out. I've looked at Amazon and have Googled looking for the type of product, but not been able to find anything. Have any of you ever seen this, or am I just a victim of old age and not remembering correctly. If you have seen these before, any idea how to get a hold of some? Thanks

I just started doing the same, but had the same problem. I bought some 1.5 cardboard coin holders and a 1.75" hole punch, got to work, and made 1.75" cardboard coin holders that nicely slide into each slot of the page. Not perfect, but much better than just the coins being in there and sliding around.

Irwin

I just started doing the same, but had the same problem. I bought some 1.5 cardboard coin holders and a 1.75" hole punch, got to work, and made 1.75" cardboard coin holders that nicely slide into each slot of the page. Not perfect, but much better than just the coins being in there and sliding around.

Irwin

I have heard of people using baseball card pages and putting cardboard (or other) inserts into them with a shape cut for the geocoin.

Well, so far this is the closest me and my girls have been to a geocoin... we have looked and looked but they are always gone w/o being logged correctly... I too would take a few off anyones hands so we can enjoy the whole "trackable" experience. I know someday we will find one and be able to move it along.....This is a good way to teach the kids patience.. haha I am willing to adotp too if anyone would be willing.... At this point anything to hold a coin would be incredible.... hopefully someday we will have picture albums of all the coins that have passsed through our hands.... I cant wait~~~

We ordered a couple coin cabinets from sfDisplay and they're great so I thought I'd share.

(http://www.sfdisplay.com/largemilitarychallengecoindisplaycasecabinet.aspx)

If you aren't planning to haul your coins around, you might be interested. I got 2 cabinets and my story is, once they're full, I'll have to trade to make space for any new coins. ;)

coincabinet.jpg?t=1299704869

Lots of various sizes and shapes all fit:

coincabinet2.jpg?t=1299704924

We ordered a couple coin cabinets from sfDisplay and they're great so I thought I'd share.

If you aren't planning to haul your coins around, you might be interested. I got 2 cabinets and my story is, once they're full, I'll have to trade to make space for any new coins. ;)

those are pretty slick!

In a basket that get's moved up higher and higher on shelves as my daughter grows!

:laughing: - yes... I found some of MY geocoins in Michaels bedroom the other day! He's had them for months. Might be time to put a lock on the office door! (Although I think the lock being on his bedroom door might be better still!)

In a basket that get's moved up higher and higher on shelves as my daughter grows!
:laughing: - yes... I found some of MY geocoins in Michaels bedroom the other day! He's had them for months. Might be time to put a lock on the office door! (Although I think the lock being on his bedroom door might be better still!)

you going to lock him in or out?

you going to lock him in or out?

IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much for sharing this pic!! These cabinets are on my Christmas list!!!! :):D

I recently made a little geocoin display using fabric. The intent is to eventually display a rotating selection of my favorite 25 coins. As a geocaching family, we've started purchasing and trading for coins only very recently so what you see is our entire collection! The fabric is a black-on-black print with vinyl pockets and silver accent trim along the top. There is a very stiff interfacing between the two fabrics which gives the display some structure and stability.

IMG_3003.jpg

I have only just started collecting geocoins...I have one :)

This is a great thread!

I don't think I want to put my coins in binders. I love the feel of each one, being able to handle it and look at it from all angles. So I'll probably start of with just a box :)

I do, however love the look of Redwingrr's cabinet. I think I would really like to have one of those...when I get a few more coins that is lol

I also love those cabinets. Maybe you can post a link here? I think many more people may be interested in them.

Very, very nice! Can these cabinets be ordered online?

Yes, that is where we got them from. I will e-mail you a link to night.

I also love those cabinets. Maybe you can post a link here? I think many more people may be interested in them.

Very, very nice! Can these cabinets be ordered online?

Yes, that is where we got them from. I will e-mail you a link to night.

I don't think thoes type of link are in line with the forum guildline.

While I know that the people that collect these coins are not stealing them, I am new to the world of geocaching, and I want to learn more about geocoins. I think that people should do whatever they want to do with their time, money, interests, etc; however I don't personally understand the allure of collecting the coins. If I spend the money, which can be pricey if you buy several, I want to send them out in caches. I have heard that unfortunately, one may never hear from that little coin again. I can't afford to trade geocoins as swag, which is what one is doing if the odds are that it will disappear at some point. I can totally understand if the object of the game is to collect coins that are put in caches as SWAG. To me, that brings meaning to your numbers. Out of the 40 caches I have found, I have only found one geocoin and it was a traveler with a goal. So, there is no way that most people are throwing in a couple of coins for people to take. That would be too expensive! So this brings me to my question, why do people want to collect these coins even if they have to buy all of them for themselves, and have for no other reason than to say, "I bought it?"

While I know that the people that collect these coins are not stealing them, I am new to the world of geocaching, and I want to learn more about geocoins. I think that people should do whatever they want to do with their time, money, interests, etc; however I don't personally understand the allure of collecting the coins. If I spend the money, which can be pricey if you buy several, I want to send them out in caches. I have heard that unfortunately, one may never hear from that little coin again. I can't afford to trade geocoins as swag, which is what one is doing if the odds are that it will disappear at some point. I can totally understand if the object of the game is to collect coins that are put in caches as SWAG. To me, that brings meaning to your numbers. Out of the 40 caches I have found, I have only found one geocoin and it was a traveler with a goal. So, there is no way that most people are throwing in a couple of coins for people to take. That would be too expensive! So this brings me to my question, why do people want to collect these coins even if they have to buy all of them for themselves, and have for no other reason than to say, "I bought it?"

This is off topic from this thread. You might want to start you own topic or bring up another that have answered the question, here is a link to an old topic.

There are plenty of other threads asking this question - but the basic answer is that, as well as the game (moving around as a trackable item), they are also collected - like postage stamps, trading cards and the like. :)

I am SOOOOO sorry for posting my ramble/question above. I love organizing, which is clearly what this thread is about. I also just now read some above posts requesting that people take non-related questions to a different thread. I completely understand! I am not sure what the issue is with my iPad, which is where I generally view and participate in the forums, because as I was reading this thread last night, I did not see 5 pages of comments and the last comment that I saw was someone ranting about people stealing geocoins to keep for themselves. That was sort-of what my post was in response to. Maybe I don't have something in my iPad set right in order to view all of the pages of each thread? I will check it tonight. Again, I apologize for posting an un-related question to this thread. Thanks for understanding, I hope. :anicute:

This is off topic from this thread. You might want to start you own topic or bring up another that have answered the question, here is a link to an old topic.

By the way, the above is a great link! It certainly answers my question. Thanks for sharing and your patience with a newb!

Resurrection!

Found this at home depot which seems to have perfect size movable compartments for the time being using 2.5" saflips.

Stanley tool organizer xl 46. It has 6 pull out drawers and the two trays that drop down.

54760cd6-4357-4fbd-8fa3-d8110ed7a902.jpg

Phones camera so it's kind of an ugly pic.

Anyone know of anything safe to store a large 2.2" 8mm thick coin in?

I just got my stargate horus coins and they don't even come close to fitting in a 2.5" flip.

Not sure I trust the nylon bags they came in for any long term storage. Hope to display them some day but that could be a while before we can buy our own house and get out of the townhouse!

All of our collection does not all fit in our display cases. What doesn't fit has been lying around here and there, there and there. We decided to make a storage unit for the coins that do not fit in the display case. It has taken awhile but it is finally completed.

52a8cd0c-e926-402a-b090-48f869a6ee05.jpg?rnd=0.09489805

In case you trying to figure where you may have seen the design before here is a picture of our first coin.

2f6ff4ac-c944-4df6-b62f-321277769604.jpg?rnd=0.730836

The bad news is that is already full.

589dd7fc-256b-410a-a17e-9c176d90c227.jpg?rnd=0.8777821

All of our collection does not all fit in our display cases. What doesn't fit has been lying around here and there, there and there. We decided to make a storage unit for the coins that do not fit in the display case. It has taken awhile but it is finally completed.

In case you trying to figure where you may have seen the design before here is a picture of our first coin.

SOOO Beautiful!!! :) I LOVE glass!!

That is a beautiful cabinet Randy!! Does Jean have one for her pathtags too? :laughing: