Your Geocoin Collection

Jackalgirl

could you post a photo? this sounds way better than my cardboard boot box. do you still keep the coins in plastic flips?

does the box have a manufacture name?

rsg

The box says "Numis" on the lid, but that's the only identifying mark. The trays come with compartments of several sizes - I have two trays that hold 15 regular coins and two trays that hold 12 large coins. There are trays with smaller compartments, too, I think. Four trays per box, so a box only holds about 60 coins. If my collection ever gets as large as Sweetlife's, I'll need a LOT more boxes!

twotrays.jpg

I would love love love! To get a box like that!

The box is nice, and I like that idea. But I really LOVE what is in that box!!! I want the sand dollars and the fishies, and the starfish!!

I can't remember if I posted before about how I store my collection or not. I have a plastic shoe box with two plastic trays inside to hold my keepers and my traders. I have since received a handmade wooden stand for all my new arrivals (to look at before storing away) from my dad so there are always a bunch on there. But unfortunately, my collection has grown so that now I have them scattered on my desk, inside the scanner and on the kitchen table. Oh, and my personal coins are still strewn about on the dining room table...hmmm...must clean up.

I love lock n lock containers in general (I actually use them for food storage in addition to caches - imagine that!) so I might try CF30's idea. That looks very neat and tidy. One question, do you have them sorted alphabetically within the box or just mixed up within the category?

I did binders for a while but it's so hard to keep them in any particular order with binders. I like to keep mine alphabetically. I reorganized a while back using Lock-n-Lock boxes:

coins364.jpg

CF30, I see you have 2 rows in each box? Is there something to separate the rows? Are the coins in regular flips? What sizes are the lock 'N locks?

Edited by nefesh

Mrs Avroair was sick and tired of all the shinies being left stacked in mint boxes around the house so she devised a cubby system for me. I get 6 out of the 7 shelf spaces for coins and she gets the far right one for office supplies.

314af154-c70e-4537-84d2-9621adc96bcf.jpg

Here is one box of traders (each coin type is ziplock bagged:

f1cedcd9-5272-4800-a303-4e7ec69ab6fb.jpg

:unsure:

Edited by avroair

Lord know how kids nowadays have their sound systems set up for playing music. I suppose it is now just and iPod station.

Well, we used to have these stackable systems in a case that could actually be rolled around.

Alas, my set had components that died one by one. I salvaged the turntable (for vinyl records - I still play mine) and had nothing left but the glass-fronted case. I kept telling my husband we could use this as a display case for our geocoins, and after some paint and new glass shelves and a cabinet light and such:

geocoindisplay.jpg

geocoindisplay3.jpg

Recycling at its best! :laughing:

:anicute:

Now to get my beauties un-cramped from the other case we have and add the ones I've been stacking up because there is no more room in my first case.

Lord know how kids nowadays have their sound systems set up for playing music. I suppose it is now just and iPod station.

Well, we used to have these stackable systems in a case that could actually be rolled around.

Alas, my set had components that died one by one. I salvaged the turntable (for vinyl records - I still play mine) and had nothing left but the glass-fronted case. I kept telling my husband we could use this as a display case for our geocoins, and after some paint and new glass shelves and a cabinet light and such:

geocoindisplay.jpg

geocoindisplay3.jpg

Recycling at its best! :P

:lol:

Now to get my beauties un-cramped from the other case we have and add the ones I've been stacking up because there is no more room in my first case.

its funny this poped up,, i told cass, a day last week i wanted a display for my coins for my b-day, i referenced this thread and started another idea after putting them in a binder last time i just was not happy having to pull a binder out to see them,

so what ive been doing the past few nights is attaching the flips to a board that will go in a frame and be hung on the wall.

we really wanted to make something similar to the clear wall hanging in this thread but couldent figure out how they were seperated,, by that bracket,, i think what im doing is working well ,, ill post pics when i finish tonight hopefully! :)

I've been struggling with how to organize the coins for a while now. I finally came up with something I like, and pulled it together this weekend. It's basic coin storage boxes with little label inserts on the front that I bought at the craft store. I move the coins into consistent sized holders (cardboard flips if they fit, if not, half a mylar flip). This way, they all stack neatly in the boxes. Except, of course, for the very oversize ones, which I haven't figured out what to do with yet.....

Here are some pictures:

The labeled boxes

028c00f5-711a-4b50-8157-d01393e7cc1e.jpg

Inside one of the boxes

e072d0f1-1d71-496e-864e-55d5f9d07332.jpg

Cardboard and Mylar flips 2.5x2.5

ee294a17-9608-40f8-a23e-18228270ec6e.jpg

Edited by Vanelle

wow...so many great ideas out there! i used to store my geocoins in light weight plexiglass jewelry travel display cases. those were great for traveling and protection, but not the best for showing. i'm so fond of my small collection of metal art, i wanted to see it all the time, and i wanted others to see the collection too. so i made an investment in a wooden display case with a plexiglass front cover. i started out with one display case, and that one was quickly filled up, and so now i have two display cases, and i have the feeling i may move on to three cases before long! this case may not work out for large geocoin collections or for traveling to events, but for the small collector, like myself, this is a simple yet elegant option for a permanent home location. i'll post a more recent picture soon, since this picture is a few months old:

adbe548f-9292-42af-afee-7b6ea798831e.jpg

wow...so many great ideas out there! i used to store my geocoins in light weight plexiglass jewelry travel display cases. those were great for traveling and protection, but not the best for showing. i'm so fond of my small collection of metal art, i wanted to see it all the time, and i wanted others to see the collection too. so i made an investment in a wooden display case with a plexiglass front cover. i started out with one display case, and that one was quickly filled up, and so now i have two display cases, and i have the feeling i may move on to three cases before long! this case may not work out for large geocoin collections or for traveling to events, but for the small collector, like myself, this is a simple yet elegant option for a permanent home location. i'll post a more recent picture soon, since this picture is a few months old:

adbe548f-9292-42af-afee-7b6ea798831e.jpg

I like your double decker holders for the Nat. Park Stamp coins.... oh I see, they're perched on top. Did you have to alter the holders in any way?

Edited by Droo

...this case may not work out for large geocoin collections or for traveling to events, but for the small collector, like myself, this is a simple yet elegant option for a permanent home location.

I like your double decker holders for the Nat. Park Stamp coins.... oh I see, they're perched on top. Did you have to alter the holders in any way?

thanks, i used a little super glue to double stack the single holders (no alteration required, but i did measure to make sure there was enough space to hold the bottom stamp). it saved me a little extra space in the display case for theses smaller geocoins. by the way, if anyone is interested in these wooden cases, i can give you the link and name of the ebay seller/maker. he actually sells these as a "shot glass display case" if you want to look for them at ebay.

Edited by Odyssey Voyager

I've gotten bitten by the geocoin bug. Purchasing 2 geocoins at a time, 1 to be released into caches, and 1 to remain in my personal colletion.

Does anyone else have a collection of gecoins?

How do you store/display them?

Do you activiate the ones you keep?

I'm really curious, as right know all mine are in a box and still unactivated.

Welcome to the forums! Be very careful though as it can be an addicting and expensive hobby. LOL

Most of us here do have collections of all sizes from a handful to several thousand coins. You will find that some activate their keepers and others don't. I personally don't activate many of my keepers. I feel that they are worth more unactivated and pristine if I ever have to heavily downsize my collection. As soon as I say that though someone else will come here and post that it doesn't make any difference. Some activate because they like to see the icons in their profile.

For your travelers---Some travel thousands of miles but others are "lost" in a cache or two. Anything you send out to travel be prepared for it to go MIA.

There are many ways to store the coins. Some use display cases, some notebooks and others use boxes. If you do a search on storage methods you will find several older threads discussing it.

If you plan to allow others to discover your trackables, you will need to activate them first. I enjoy setting display of coins out for others to be able to see and discover. I agree that unactivated coins will probably be resellable at a higher price than activated coins, but I've also been noticing that as the price of coins continues to rise, older activated coins can still be sold for about what they cost new (a $6 coin from 2 years ago activated, might get you your $6 if sold now.) You'll also more likely have an easier time trading unactivated coins, if the time comes you chose to do so.

ILYK

If you plan to allow others to discover your trackables, you will need to activate them first. I enjoy setting display of coins out for others to be able to see and discover. I agree that unactivated coins will probably be resellable at a higher price than activated coins, but I've also been noticing that as the price of coins continues to rise, older activated coins can still be sold for about what they cost new (a $6 coin from 2 years ago activated, might get you your $6 if sold now.) You'll also more likely have an easier time trading unactivated coins, if the time comes you chose to do so.

ILYK

so if I don't activate them, I have to store the little activation card with them. How do you do that?

so if I don't activate them, I have to store the little activation card with them. How do you do that?

I have a spreadsheet to do that. Its getting too big though ;)

same here. as soon as i receive a geocoin i will immediately add it to my list file of unactivated geocoins. this will save you lots of headaches if a geocoin minter ever closes their business along with all hosted activation codes (although GS is trying to host all activation codes in the future). i also find it a good idea when purchasing a geocoin from anywhere other than the mint company or when trading geocoins, to immediately check at the geocaching.com website to verify that the geocoin hasn't already been activated. i've never found a purchased or traded coin to be previously activated, but others here have had that happen. this step might save you a headache down the road, too.

by the way, i have a "small" collection of geocoin keepers (around 75 or so) that are inside several wooden display cases on the wall (each coin sits on a acrylic coin holder). if you search the forums here, there is a thread on how people display or store their collections (with pictures). good luck...and welcome to the addiction... :mad:

i activate mostly all coins i buy, just because i want to share these beautiful coins with other geocachers, so they are able to discover them.

i have some coins, where I bought two versions or more, where only one coin is activated and the rest is for trading or selling.

but nearly 90% of my coins are activated.

I store them in a nice coin case with different coin presentation trays for different coin sizes.

I do not put sheets of papers with the tracking codes in this case because i think people will not look at this beautiful coins, when they receive all tracking codes at ones.

Everytime i open the case it is like "aaaahs" and "oooohs" and it is called a "treasure" but funny as it is, some people forget to look under the first presentation trays and are really surprised when they find out that there are much more trays under it.

i activate mostly all coins i buy, just because i want to share these beautiful coins with other geocachers, so they are able to discover them.

i have some coins, where I bought two versions or more, where only one coin is activated and the rest is for trading or selling.

but nearly 90% of my coins are activated.

I store them in a nice coin case with different coin presentation trays for different coin sizes.

I do not put sheets of papers with the tracking codes in this case because i think people will not look at this beautiful coins, when they receive all tracking codes at ones.

Everytime i open the case it is like "aaaahs" and "oooohs" and it is called a "treasure" but funny as it is, some people forget to look under the first presentation trays and are really surprised when they find out that there are much more trays under it.

Love to see a pict of that.. where did you get the trays?

How does everyone display and or store their coins. Right now the few that I have are thrown in a little box still in the sleeves they were shipped in. just looking for Ideas. I was thinking of a 3 ring binder with seperated compartment pages like they use for baseball cards.

I originally had two very nice Chinese-style treasure boxes, but ran out of space very quickly. Now I have about six or so plastic storage boxes (about a foot long, six inches wide, four inches high or so). Nothing fancy and it certainly isn't pretty, but it keeps them safe from The Marauder (my 2-year-old). : )

I keep mine in a 3 ring binder, I've got coin pages that the flips(that's what those little sleeves are called) slide into. Some I also purchase the regular paper coin flips for. I take my coins to events and then just lay the binder on the table for others to look at. I also provide a list for those who wish to discover my entire collection.

001-2-1-1.jpg

Edited by CCWashburn

Be careful using the baseball card type of vinyl pages as they are flimsy and tend to "toss" coins out of their top pockets during a page flip. There are heavy duty ones available that are studier and hold your coins flips more tightly.

Heavy duty display sheets

I have seen this happen at events, or the person accidentally picks up their binder upside down and all the coins fall out. The baseball card holders are to large for even some of the largest coins (Rainbow Bridge comes to mind) where the actual coin holder in particular the 2.5x2.5 12 pocket ones will hold almost all of your coins.

I have a couple of small binders for my special/activated/discoverable coins. For my traders I use a couple of these:

014026R_mid_res.jpg

Stanley® SortMaster Organizer

They fit nicely in the adjustable compartments and it has a pretty secure locking mechanism. However once completely filled they are quite heavy. You can pick them up at most home improvement stores for about $15.00...

I have a couple of small binders for my special/activated/discoverable coins. For my traders I use a couple of these:

014026R_mid_res.jpg

Stanley® SortMaster Organizer

They fit nicely in the adjustable compartments and it has a pretty secure locking mechanism. However once completely filled they are quite heavy. You can pick them up at most home improvement stores for about $15.00...

This is what I use too and I like it...the handle is nice and the sections can be adjusted easily by moving around the partitions. I have a wooden display rack that my dad made me that I put my special coins on or my new arrivals but the rest go in this case.

Yes I've seen those. Might have to order some.

Thanks

binders, lots of binders, and supersafe coin pages. I'm sure someone can also link you to the discussion of the flips that are the best to keep your coins in...I've been switching all my coins to mylar flips.

ILYK

A good temporary storage that's very affordable are these drawer organizer baskets available at the home centre or even office supply house. They won't help you to keep things straight if you need to travel but at least they're in your desk drawer and easily accessible.

Coinbasket_storage.jpg

I'M TOTLALLY LOST THOUGHT WE WERE SURPOSE TO KEEP COINS GOING???? WHY R YOU PPL KEEPING THEM??? I'M LOST AM I SURPOSE TO KEEP THEM OR MOVE THEM ON????? EMAIL ME AT jcastelot1@myfairpoint.net someone pleaase i'm confused on what i'm aurpose to b doing with my coin i just found?????

I'M TOTLALLY LOST THOUGHT WE WERE SURPOSE TO KEEP COINS GOING???? WHY R YOU PPL KEEPING THEM??? I'M LOST AM I SURPOSE TO KEEP THEM OR MOVE THEM ON????? EMAIL ME AT jcastelot1@myfairpoint.net someone pleaase i'm confused on what i'm aurpose to b doing with my coin i just found?????

Relax and please, all there capitals are not necessary (equals shouting). It really is simple. The purpose of trackable geocoins is to be travelling from cache to cache. Just as stamps are to send mail from here to there. And just as there are people who collect stamps, there are people who collect geocoins. But... collecting can only be done by buying or trading geocoins. You have to own them, only then you can do with them as you want. When you find a geocoin in a geocache it's not yours and not to keep, but clearly has the purpose to travel. Good luck!

Edited by Team Van Stoffelen

Val asked me to get our coin collection out for some pictures......

29c982bf-9f01-4560-a4d1-4dc92e15163d.jpg

Then she asked me to pile them in one pile......

719d74b7-9245-4c3d-a8de-056df7fe28c5.jpg

Close up of the ruler..... 33 inches!!!!

678eb465-51b0-413e-9c41-564835216a3d.jpg

All spread out on the floor.....

a4512c06-68b5-442d-a4e7-a30be4478ddd.jpg

and a overhead view.......

aeabd3ea-456e-4bb6-bda2-e92c490a105e.jpg

Totals.......

13 binders, 149.6lbs, 1479 trackables activated, 219 non trackable, and 12 sitting on the desk that didn't make the picture that came in the mail in the last couple of days. total as of today 1710 coins

HOLY ALOTOFCOINS BATMAN!

Edited by chai_latte

could you post a photo? this sounds way better than my cardboard boot box. do you still keep the coins in plastic flips?

does the box have a manufacture name?

rsg

The box says "Numis" on the lid, but that's the only identifying mark. The trays come with compartments of several sizes - I have two trays that hold 15 regular coins and two trays that hold 12 large coins. There are trays with smaller compartments, too, I think. Four trays per box, so a box only holds about 60 coins. If my collection ever gets as large as Sweetlife's, I'll need a LOT more boxes!

twotrays.jpg

After some quick Googling I found the following site:

http://www.safepub.com/catalog/coins/aluminum.htm#jewel

Which looks like the box in your picture. I don't have any experience with this vendor, it was just the first one I found.

The Aluminum Coin case also on that page look interesting.

Terrible Ts

I went ahead and placed an order from Safe Pub, I'll let ya know how it turns out! The folks there are nice and helpful. You call in your order, they ship UPS daily (so my order is shipping UPS out tomorrow), and their prices are pretty decent. The guy explained all the shelf configurations to me for the specific product I was getting (there are like 20 shelf options for some cases) and recommended some things I hadn't thought of (a "blank" shelf for holding odd shaped stuff).

~z

Alright... I saw this topic about a year ago. I had been keeping my small collection of geocoins in with my small collection of old coins (The cigar box that you see top left). Well, then my collection grew a little bit bigger and could no longer fit in with the monetary coins. So, I pulled out a box that I had made in ceramics. They fit in there, for now. The lid is already starting to be pushed off by the volume of the coins.

507129a0-857b-4d3a-b4e9-8ec59ebe1350.jpg

Inside of the box with "pockets".

93c033fd-7fb6-4be3-a9a9-80d565f22414.jpg

My small, yet growing collection. "Mystery coins in the front.... everybody else in the back. Say cheese!"

02c1683c-d669-404a-9f16-7a6f11bd41ee.jpg

Yep they fit.... kinda.

49c31362-751d-4e7c-8e7e-62fbf0ef9844.jpg

Had to pull out my Maori/Easter island Salt n pepper Shakers that I made in the same class.

14313cb0-904f-433b-bc9d-b05764fb09e5.jpg

Anybody else out there with new coin holders?

Edited by goosefraba1