Your Geocoin Collection

Jackalgirl

I took my board to my first event,, it worked out really well because there were peps writing down numbers to discover, and others could still look,, i think i had 3 peps and 5 lookers at one time during the event,, it was a small event, but i enjoyed it! i just put the board on a chair and anyone coming by could look at them,, it was cool!

First off I just started with a few coins, under 10, so I kept them in my pocket when I was out. Then I got a few more and found a small biz card holder and started to put them in that with foam board cut to the shape of the coins. Then I got so many coins that I could not even close the little card holder. So I bought a big 3 ring binder that zipped shut and bought some heavy duty biz card pages. I have all my coins in it. They did start out with the foam board then I got really behind so I ditched that and just put velcro on the open ends of the pages to hold em shut. Now I need something new. I am actually going to do 2 different things. First I am going to get a couple of those storage cases that you can get at Home Depot, Lowes, and where ever else they are sold. After I get all my coins organized in that, then I going to see about making holders for the curio cabinets we have. When I want to take the coins somewhere, will just take them out of the curio and put em in the cases.

Only reason why I am trying to get them out of the binder is that I had several of those heavy duty pages rip. Guess they aint that heavy duty. They either ripped on the out facing ends that are sealed at the factory and then some ripped the holes out that keep em in the binder. Plus some of the velcro is not holding like I thought it would. I am just starting to lose my patients with this.

I hate to put em in cases just for the fact that I will know if 1 is missing in the binder, but I am out of options at this time.

Pretty soon it will just be either stop collecting or just leave em at home in the curio.

i feel ya,, ive spent hrs adding my coins to foam boarding and adding stats,and velcrow to stick them to the board, but im outta room and just dont have much more energy to keep cutting foam, ive gotta come up with a better way to do this. shadow boxes are a bit expensave and velcrow is out ragious,i also have to make a bigger one once i start a set - i like to display them with acess if i want to palm them ahhh this is frustrating.

DJ, It sounds like you simply have too many coins. Just put your extrainious coins in a cardboard box and send them to me. If this is agreeable, I'll email you my address.

Thanks, and I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

ha ha ha nope, not enuff because if i had some more id have enuff to start a new board,, i can see i will be carring many shadow boxes to events by the time im done here..lol ,,so dont hesitate to send me enuff to start a new shadow box,, tell you what,,,, you send me the coins and ill buy the board and velcro :yikes:

and i look forward to hearing from you!!! :D

First off I just started with a few coins, under 10, so I kept them in my pocket when I was out. Then I got a few more and found a small biz card holder and started to put them in that with foam board cut to the shape of the coins. Then I got so many coins that I could not even close the little card holder. So I bought a big 3 ring binder that zipped shut and bought some heavy duty biz card pages. I have all my coins in it. They did start out with the foam board then I got really behind so I ditched that and just put velcro on the open ends of the pages to hold em shut. Now I need something new. I am actually going to do 2 different things. First I am going to get a couple of those storage cases that you can get at Home Depot, Lowes, and where ever else they are sold. After I get all my coins organized in that, then I going to see about making holders for the curio cabinets we have. When I want to take the coins somewhere, will just take them out of the curio and put em in the cases.

Only reason why I am trying to get them out of the binder is that I had several of those heavy duty pages rip. Guess they aint that heavy duty. They either ripped on the out facing ends that are sealed at the factory and then some ripped the holes out that keep em in the binder. Plus some of the velcro is not holding like I thought it would. I am just starting to lose my patients with this.

I hate to put em in cases just for the fact that I will know if 1 is missing in the binder, but I am out of options at this time.

Pretty soon it will just be either stop collecting or just leave em at home in the curio.

i feel ya,, ive spent hrs adding my coins to foam boarding and adding stats,and velcrow to stick them to the board, but im outta room and just dont have much more energy to keep cutting foam, ive gotta come up with a better way to do this. shadow boxes are a bit expensave and velcrow is out ragious,i also have to make a bigger one once i start a set - i like to display them with acess if i want to palm them ahhh this is frustrating.

DJ, It sounds like you simply have too many coins. Just put your extrainious coins in a cardboard box and send them to me. If this is agreeable, I'll email you my address.

ha ha ha nope, not enuff because if i had some more id have enuff to start a new board,, i can see i will be carring many shadow boxes to events by the time im done here..lol ,,so dont hesitate to send me enuff to start a new shadow box,, tell you what,,,, you send me the coins and ill buy the board and velcro :)

and i look forward to hearing from you!!! :ph34r:

nice display surteb. i like how it has different color ends

so i did start a new board,, but this ones alot bigger and nicer,its a display for art and has a canvas face with a foam backing, it has an outter picture frame edge and a plexi glass to go over the front to hold the coins in, i found some small binder clips to hold the plexi glass on and is a very nice display when all put togeather.

461af648-ffe1-4f96-ad89-72266651ff46.jpg

ha ha ha nope, not enuff because if i had some more id have enuff to start a new board,, i can see i will be carring many shadow boxes to events by the time im done here..lol ,,so dont hesitate to send me enuff to start a new shadow box,, tell you what,,,, you send me the coins and ill buy the board and velcro :)

so i did start a new board,, but this ones alot bigger and nicer,its a display for art and has a canvas face with a foam backing, it has an outter picture frame edge and a plexi glass to go over the front to hold the coins in, i found some small binder clips to hold the plexi glass on and is a very nice display when all put togeather.

That looks really nice! What do you for the "frame" that separates the coins?

could you post a photo? this sounds way better than my cardboard boot box. do you still keep the coins in plastic flips?

does the box have a manufacture name?

rsg

The box says "Numis" on the lid, but that's the only identifying mark. The trays come with compartments of several sizes - I have two trays that hold 15 regular coins and two trays that hold 12 large coins. There are trays with smaller compartments, too, I think. Four trays per box, so a box only holds about 60 coins. If my collection ever gets as large as Sweetlife's, I'll need a LOT more boxes!

twotrays.jpg

I would love love love! To get a box like that!

That looks really nice! What do you for the "frame" that separates the coins?

there is no frame seperating the coins, i have cut the coins into the board, the frame is just like a display frame for artwork that is not flat so for instance it would normaly hold a rug from the middle east or mabie a t-shirt from your favorate player. its kinda like a huge shadow box with a canvas face i made 2 inch squares and the lines you see are pencil. i hope that helps.

The ends are actually the same color, it's just the way the picture turned out. But, since you mention it, since I am making them, I can customize them to look however I - or anyone else - would like! :)

nice display surteb.

I like it, too. Keeping a smaller stand like that on display gives you the option of changing the display whenever you feel like it, and not being overwhelmed by a mass of coins. Christmas coins in December, personal coins all on display together for a while, animal themes next time, or whatever you feel like putting out. And it holds all shapes and sizes nicely. Some spring flowers would be nice today, since it's only going up to -25 here (about 30 degrees colder than normal!).

DSCN9324.jpg

Here is my brand-new geocoin display! I am super excited about this because I just finished it and am super happy with how it turned out! I have a bunch more coins in a binder, so I guess I'll have to get cracking and make another display for them.

Hey That looks like the stand I made to take pictures of our coins. Very Nice Job and if you got the idea from us we are glad you liked our idea amd went ahead and made one for yourself. We love using ours:) It looks very nice and ooh yeh it is nice that you varnished yours and added ends on to yours ours only has a back on it. :)

About a month ago, Brian Williams did a segment on military coins during an NBC Nightly News broadcast and at the end of the show, he brought out his personal collection. I was most impressed by the case he had for the coins. The coins were held upright inside a shallow wooden box (looked mahogany) by a velvet-covered groove and the wooden base was enclosed by a glass (or plexiglass) top. The coins were visible through the top and very elegantly displayed....and would remain dust-free with the top closed.

I have searched the internet looking for something similar but haven't found anything. It may have been custom-made for him. I would love to have something like that for even part of my collection. I'm so sad to have them in albums where nobody sees them except me.

Maybe I'll have some framed for one of the walls in our home. This thread has definitely given me some good ideas.

Thanks. :)

About a month ago, Brian Williams did a segment on military coins during an NBC Nightly News broadcast and at the end of the show, he brought out his personal collection. I was most impressed by the case he had for the coins. The coins were held upright inside a shallow wooden box (looked mahogany) by a velvet-covered groove and the wooden base was enclosed by a glass (or plexiglass) top. The coins were visible through the top and very elegantly displayed....and would remain dust-free with the top closed.

I have searched the internet looking for something similar but haven't found anything. It may have been custom-made for him. I would love to have something like that for even part of my collection. I'm so sad to have them in albums where nobody sees them except me.

Maybe I'll have some framed for one of the walls in our home. This thread has definitely given me some good ideas.

Is this the video? http://www.truveo.com/Fresh-mint-Commemora...ns/id/897908550

DSCN9324.jpg

Here is my brand-new geocoin display! I am super excited about this because I just finished it and am super happy with how it turned out! I have a bunch more coins in a binder, so I guess I'll have to get cracking and make another display for them.

Hey That looks like the stand I made to take pictures of our coins. Very Nice Job and if you got the idea from us we are glad you liked our idea amd went ahead and made one for yourself. We love using ours:) It looks very nice and ooh yeh it is nice that you varnished yours and added ends on to yours ours only has a back on it. :)

Actually, I don't remember seeing yours. I do remember your very tall stack of binders and the table you were making, though. Sorry I don't recall the other stand. I actually got the idea from looking around on different sites trying to find different display options. I almost just went with the little plastic easels, but decided this was better since I could display more coins.

YES!! Thanks for finding that. My memory was wrong too - didn't look like a velvet lined box but just had those grooves cut out. And I could've sworn I saw a cover....hmmm....better not ever be an eye witness to a crime! LoL.

But I thought it was a cool story and I still love that case. :)

I have 2 challenge coins in my collection that were given to me by cachers who serve in the military.

There was an episode of NCIS (one of the very early seasons, I'll try to find it some time and do a screen capture) where Gibbs was looking at a display in someones office that held military challenge coins. from what I could tell, it was several rows of coins that had plastic containers that looked like the container could spin where they were held by the horizontal frame.

Oh, goodness, there are all kinds of displays for challenge coins. Some range from a simple strip of wood with a slit grouted through the center so that you can stand up coins to grand circular affairs with several tiers so that you can set up the thing on a table and people can walk around with a circle and admire your collection.

If you google "challenge coin stand" you would find an amazing array of stands. I think these are fine for smaller collections, but for most of the addicts here, I doubt it would do. ; )

Thanks. :ph34r:

YES!! Thanks for finding that. My memory was wrong too - didn't look like a velvet lined box but just had those grooves cut out. And I could've sworn I saw a cover....hmmm....better not ever be an eye witness to a crime! LoL.

But I thought it was a cool story and I still love that case. :)

Great video. I can relate to seeking a coin which has some meaning to you..........

DorkFish.jpg

Keepers go in Sports card protective sleeves, plastic cases and boxes

Boxes.jpg

My stack of Treasure chests

Cases.jpg

are the plastic cases expensave to have so many?? they look great!! it would kill me too keep them in boxes, i have mine in the board earlyer in this thread, and i get to stare at them every day :blink::blink:

The plastic cases are cheap compared to the coins themselves. I have a habit of leaving coins scattered through the house for something to look at. The cases protect them from any damage. The large boxes are mainly for storage or when moving them.

My favorite way of displaying them is custom pouches.

IMG_02881.jpg

Photo3.jpg

alternatives1.jpg

The plastic cases are cheap compared to the coins themselves. I have a habit of leaving coins scattered through the house for something to look at. The cases protect them from any damage. The large boxes are mainly for storage or when moving them.

IMG_02881.jpg

Photo3.jpg

alternatives1.jpg

Wow, fantastic Idea, very nice work indeed. We could use a couple of these for ones that we wear as jewerly at events we attend. We keep them in the Vehicle so we dont foget then and hangoff the mirror, but to protect them these would be very nice. Would love to contact you or get ahold of you some how anout these, How much do you charge by chance? Sure it is time consuming. Do you design them the way you like to design them or do you acccadate to what peole would like for colors of beads and such?

I've made several for an individual as part of a trade.

Others I've just given away. I like to surprise people once in a while. The leatherwork is something I use to years ago and enjoyed. Seems I've forgotten more than I remember so I keep the designs simple. Usually they're designed around a coin in mind or a feeling it brings up.

I'll e-mail ya.

IMG_02881.jpg

Photo3.jpg

alternatives1.jpg

Wow, fantastic Idea, very nice work indeed. We could use a couple of these for ones that we wear as jewerly at events we attend. We keep them in the Vehicle so we dont foget then and hangoff the mirror, but to protect them these would be very nice. Would love to contact you or get ahold of you some how anout these, How much do you charge by chance? Sure it is time consuming. Do you design them the way you like to design them or do you acccadate to what peole would like for colors of beads and such?

thats very unique :blink: i like that idea for carry a few around, when the board of coins stays home. ill have to tinker with some ideas,, thats great!! they look cool too!

IMG_02881.jpg

Photo3.jpg

alternatives1.jpg

Wow, the pouches are great looking. I like the idea of carrying coins in them.I would also be interested in purchasing some if you sell them.

After some quick Googling I found the following site:

http://www.safepub.com/catalog/coins/aluminum.htm#jewel

Which looks like the box in your picture. I don't have any experience with this vendor, it was just the first one I found.

The Aluminum Coin case also on that page look interesting.

Terrible Ts

Checked out the site. I wish there was a drooling smiley. The premium wooden presentation case aint cheap but it sure looks flash.

IMG_02881.jpg

Nice work !

Edited by haysonics

If you go to Eartha's pinned thread on geocoin resources you'll find some links to making just such a binder. Here's a shortcut to that particular topic -

Binder

There's always the Geocoin Album available from a vendour with preselected coin pages (for different sized coins) or you can select your own cutout size pages.

These binder sheets are Da Bomb for me as they are stiff and coins don't fly out of the pockets as easily as they do with card sheets - vinyl sheets.

Edited by Droo

I did binders for a while but it's so hard to keep them in any particular order with binders. I like to keep mine alphabetically. I reorganized a while back using Lock-n-Lock boxes:

coins364.jpg

But if it's binders you want, I found mine at WalMart. Coin pages & flips can be found at any coin shop or online. There are several places that sell both.

CF30

I did binders for a while but it's so hard to keep them in any particular order with binders. I like to keep mine alphabetically. I reorganized a while back using Lock-n-Lock boxes:

coins364.jpg

But if it's binders you want, I found mine at WalMart. Coin pages & flips can be found at any coin shop or online. There are several places that sell both.

CF30

OMG, what a lot of coins :lol::o:) I can only dream of having such a lot of nice coins :laughing::)

I store my coins in boxes, too...or better in ONE box! :)