Your Geocoin Collection

Jackalgirl

Val asked me to get our coin collection out for some pictures......

29c982bf-9f01-4560-a4d1-4dc92e15163d.jpg

Then she asked me to pile them in one pile......

719d74b7-9245-4c3d-a8de-056df7fe28c5.jpg

Close up of the ruler..... 33 inches!!!!

678eb465-51b0-413e-9c41-564835216a3d.jpg

All spread out on the floor.....

a4512c06-68b5-442d-a4e7-a30be4478ddd.jpg

and a overhead view.......

aeabd3ea-456e-4bb6-bda2-e92c490a105e.jpg

Totals.......

13 binders, 149.6lbs, 1479 trackables activated, 219 non trackable, and 12 sitting on the desk that didn't make the picture that came in the mail in the last couple of days. total as of today 1710 coins

All I can say is.....Wow!

well this guy seems to have and unbalanced amont of activated trackables to non activated. you cant really tell me that he honestly traded for all of those coins and have such an unbalanced number of activated!!

well this guy seems to have and unbalanced amont of activated trackables to non activated. you cant really tell me that he honestly traded for all of those coins and have such an unbalanced number of activated!!

Uuummm... Did it occur to you that maybe he purchased or traded for the coins and then activated them himself? If they were stolen there would be no way for him to activate them to his account since they would be linked to the original owner. You need to do a bit more research on geocoins before you start throwing accusations around... Choosing to activate them but keep them in his binders is his own right, many people do that same thing.

Many people activate their (bought, traded, or gifted) geocoins so that the icons show up in their profile's "trackables" list. Think of it as collecting both the coin (offline) and the icon (online) as well.

Edited to add:

Since you are accusing Barry and Val of thievery, perhaps you could provide some evidence. Go look at sweetlife's profile. Here, I have provided you with a link for your convenience. How many of the coins that show up there are listed as being activated or owned by them?

Now, of the coins not owned by them (which they cannot transfer to themselves without an active adoption request entered by the owner), how many of these are still in their possession? Of those still in their possession, which one has been there the longest, and what is the average of all of the geocoins that they do not own but are holding?

Edited to add:

Please do me the courtesy of posting your reply into a completely new thread. That way, your off-topic derail is put in its proper place (as a new topic), rather than continuing to derail this thread. Thank you.

Edited by Jackalgirl

In the past, I have stored my coins using several methods. I currently store them in books... Here's a few pics...

e27980a8-d1b2-4b59-9e8d-9cbd49c85c72.jpg

bcfbf7fc-b3e6-4627-8b14-2e59296a7aa9.jpg

I didn't want to drag them all out, but this gives you a good idea of how I store them. If I have a coin that is larger than the coin size - I use an exacto knife to modify the coin space. I have started ordering individual pages and building books - so I and have more control of the individual pages.

I really think that over time, I will release most of the coins into the wild.

OverTheEdge

Well, I currently have 16 coins, 15 are activated 1 is non-trackable. I have only been doing this since September and only have 28 finds. That seems pretty unbalanced if you ask me. I guess i have been stealing the coins too.

ok i just started collection too and can't decide how to sstore them. i tried a binder with baseball card pages and a zipper for coind that escape. i decided it was difficult to turn the pages without the pages being limp. i like being able to see both sides.

now i am trying them in a compartment box from lowes, but not sure if i want to have to rummage through them.

please keeep the ideas you use coming, so i can fugure out what to do.

thanks

ok i just started collection too and can't decide how to sstore them. i tried a binder with baseball card pages and a zipper for coind that escape. i decided it was difficult to turn the pages without the pages being limp. i like being able to see both sides.

now i am trying them in a compartment box from lowes, but not sure if i want to have to rummage through them.

please keeep the ideas you use coming, so i can fugure out what to do.

thanks

alphabetize them and it is easier to keep track of them in compartment boxes.

the nice thing with a small collection, less than 200 let's say, is in a box, you get to go through them and fondle and say ooh and ahh. i like keeping mine out of sight. when i go through them for some reason it is always a delight and sometimes a surprise!

rsg

Mr BP rolls his eyes every time another coin arrives, but for Christmas he gave me a coin storage box that he bought from a coin collector shop. I thought it was pretty clever of him to think of going to a coin shop for advice. The box holds several layers of cloth-lined compartmented trays, and the cover snaps on securely so the box can be stored on end in the bookcase just like a binder. The coins sit nicely in their compartments and are easy to pick up and handle (touching them is nice!) rather than just looking at them through plastic. So far I like it a lot better than any of the binder pages I've tried, which are either hard to get the coins in and out of, or the coins fall out every time you set the binder down.

Mr BP rolls his eyes every time another coin arrives, but for Christmas he gave me a coin storage box that he bought from a coin collector shop. I thought it was pretty clever of him to think of going to a coin shop for advice. The box holds several layers of cloth-lined compartmented trays, and the cover snaps on securely so the box can be stored on end in the bookcase just like a binder. The coins sit nicely in their compartments and are easy to pick up and handle (touching them is nice!) rather than just looking at them through plastic. So far I like it a lot better than any of the binder pages I've tried, which are either hard to get the coins in and out of, or the coins fall out every time you set the binder down.

could you post a photo? this sounds way better than my cardboard boot box. do you still keep the coins in plastic flips?

does the box have a manufacture name?

rsg

Edited by RedShoesGirl

i only have about 10 coins and had the problem with coins falling out.

i like the idea of alphabetizing them. i also thought about separating activated and non.

i will look for a coin box. the box i think will work best since i like odd shaped coins that won't fit well into round holes.

how big is your coin box? can you tell me who made it?

thanks

if you ignor the comments they will go away....

Edited by UFgatorgirl

Rather lengthy (but nice) email sent to help keep this thread on track :(

I keep my coins in a metal Hello Kitty lunchbox. My collection is small, so I kind of like the chaos of just having a pile of coins. I do keep my traders in a separate Hello Kitty lunchbox, so technically I have two semi-unorganized jumble of coins to keep me busy.

Boy, I really like the professional coin binder idea and the idea of organizing in a coin box (alphabetized). But you know what? I also really like the idea of a chaotic jumble of coins you get to root through and enjoy (which is probably why I went with the treasure box in the first place, without really thinking about it). I'm thinking I might set up a more organized way of storing my tradeables, but keep my collection of preciouses in a lovely little hoard. Thanks, everyone, for the great ideas!

I've loved it to up until recently. I kept all of mine in boxes and bags to bring to events and just let people go through them oohing and ahhing. Up until some rowdy kids come along. Don't get me wrong, I love kids, I just wasn't prepared for them to grub my stuff up and bang them together (cringe just thinking about the chipped enamel). Can't blame them, they're being kids.

The next event I'm going to is on the 28th, and I've made it a project to get all my coins into little foam cutouts and then into card binders. Learned the hard way I guess. The hoard is nice at home (and I still keep my scavok coins in my chainmaille sack), but for sharing, which is my priority, I'm bookin' them now :(

could you post a photo? this sounds way better than my cardboard boot box. do you still keep the coins in plastic flips?

rsg

I'll try to get a photo tonight. I take them out of the flips. And I'll check for a name on the box. Hopefully it wasn't on the packaging that I threw away.

As Scavok mentions, there are coin displays for sharing and coin displays for hoarding; this box is for hoarding. Plastic binder sheets or foam cutouts are probably safer for taking to events.

Ours are in lock n' lock containers on the floor beneath the shelves in the office :( . When kids come over with their parents they are allowed to dump them out one container at a time and 'play' with them :lol: . This is a good way to test their resilience :( .

I'd like to see them organized, but at 7 lock n' lock's it's kinda got beyond me now. I even have a lock n' lock of ones that we need to activate! Any volunteers? :) /jk

Ha ha, the humor in ignorance just struck me.

Sweetlife, what the heck are you doing stealing all those?! Put all those back in my cache right now!

HeHeHe your to funny Roger. Those are all bought/paid or traded for and we have a right to do what we want and most we decided to keep in our collection. Not once have we ever stole a coin from a cache and put it in our collection.

Sweetlife, what the heck are you doing stealing all those?! Put all those back in my cache right now!

HeHeHe your to funny Roger. Those are all bought/paid or traded for and we have a right to do what we want and most we decided to keep in our collection. Not once have we ever stole a coin from a cache and put it in our collection.

sweetlife, don't worry, those of us who have known you throughout the years know how you came by your coins.

Let this be a lesson, never assume what you do not know. These geocoin forums are pretty vast, and it takes time to learn the intricacies of geocoin collecting. Yes, some are trackable, but if all someone cares about is watching them travel, then we have Travel Bugs. Geocoins are both collector's items, signature item,s and traveling items, and it is up to their owners if they get released, held onto, or a "proxy" sent out and the original remains in the collection.

And I have it on good authority more are heading your way...tomorrow!!! :(

I've loved it to up until recently. I kept all of mine in boxes and bags to bring to events and just let people go through them oohing and ahhing. Up until some rowdy kids come along. Don't get me wrong, I love kids, I just wasn't prepared for them to grub my stuff up and bang them together (cringe just thinking about the chipped enamel). Can't blame them, they're being kids.

The next event I'm going to is on the 28th, and I've made it a project to get all my coins into little foam cutouts and then into card binders. Learned the hard way I guess. The hoard is nice at home (and I still keep my scavok coins in my chainmaille sack), but for sharing, which is my priority, I'm bookin' them now :lol:

Yep. The grimy, scratched, dented and missing enamel off my coins that happens during events makes me want to go into a corner and sob for a bit when I come home (yeah yeah I know). So now everything is either in clear plastic coin holders with foam rings (thanks forthferalz!!!), or in binders (thanks The Caching Place!). The traders are in a separate box, which the kids can take coins out of to keep. My BIG box of keepers (that I rootle through every day) gets to stay home.

One tiny little 'improvement' I would love to ask of The Caching Place, is to add foam dividers between the pages so the coins dont crash together when the pages are turned (they get VERY heavy!). I suppose I could get off my lazy backside and create foam dividers myself, but it never turns out as well as the ones done professionally :(:)

One tiny little 'improvement' I would love to ask of The Caching Place, is to add foam dividers between the pages so the coins dont crash together when the pages are turned (they get VERY heavy!).

That's why I included the foam inserts on the instruction page I made for the card binders. I just got a few pieces of foam core that I'm gonna see about using to replace the regular crafting foam that I've been using. It will probably be more difficult to work with oddly shaped coins, but it should keep the coins in place. Then I'll run a strip of clear packing tape across the tops of the sleeves to hold the inserts in place. When I get this done, I'll update my binder instruction page.

One tiny little 'improvement' I would love to ask of The Caching Place, is to add foam dividers between the pages so the coins dont crash together when the pages are turned (they get VERY heavy!).

That's why I included the foam inserts on the instruction page I made for the card binders. I just got a few pieces of foam core that I'm gonna see about using to replace the regular crafting foam that I've been using. It will probably be more difficult to work with oddly shaped coins, but it should keep the coins in place. Then I'll run a strip of clear packing tape across the tops of the sleeves to hold the inserts in place. When I get this done, I'll update my binder instruction page.

thats kinda of what mine set in, but it has the paper so you can add stats if you like--i type up all mine and tape them on,, a tip, is to cut the foam smaller then the coin,, and have lots of blades handy as they tend to wear fast and the foam starts to ball up instead of cut... hope this helps, i have a few i need to redo and some to add. :(

Edited by DJ.J.ROCK

Hey everyone. Sorry about my comments. I now realize that you guys take so much pride in showing off your collections that that is the reason a lot of your coins are activated. I assumed (yes I assumed "sorry") from my experience in collecting currency coins that geocoin collecting was the same. A coin that’s never been touched logged or what not has more value. Sorry for not understanding it right. I was having a real stressful week just found an easy way to get mad at nothing.

Sorry again!

Peace and Love To ALL true collectors

Hey everyone. Sorry about my comments. I now realize that you guys take so much pride in showing off your collections that that is the reason a lot of your coins are activated. I assumed (yes I assumed "sorry") from my experience in collecting currency coins that geocoin collecting was the same. A coin that’s never been touched logged or what not has more value. Sorry for not understanding it right. I was having a real stressful week just found an easy way to get mad at nothing.

Sorry again!

No prob -- thanks for coming back and apologizing. : ) I hope you stick around and get involved in the community here -- it's fun! (As for the addiction...well, fun for you, not so much fun for your wallet!)

Sorry again!

No prob -- thanks for coming back and apologizing. : ) I hope you stick around and get involved in the community here -- it's fun! (As for the addiction...well, fun for you, not so much fun for your wallet!)

all is good...i just starting collecting and it is addicting. hope to see you around some more.

Sorry again!

let us help you understand,, we here spend lots of money on the coins, if you have found a coin its because someone has paid good money for that coin. and let it go travel,,, very few will ever see their coins again, but bring joy to so many that do not collect coins. every one here agrees with you not to take a coin from a cache and put it in your collection, that is a big no no to us , and new peps dont understand How exactly a coin gets into the wild,, most coins are realeased from collectors , some realease all their coins into the wild. some are company promos, some spread awareness.

simple rules apply here,, if its in a cache and activated you move it or leave it, the only way you get to "keep" a coin from a cache is if it was left as a gift for the next finder.

some one like sweetlife has "invested" alot of time , love and cash into their collection, and is very respected by other collectors that see how much love they have for those lil pieces of metal. not to mention as you learn they haul all that around for others to enjoy and discover, hundreds of punds for others to enjoy.

you can do a serch online to see how much coins are, or even e-bay to get an idea of how much money they have invested into their retirement fund of endless coins. :( also you may look into how much it costs to have 1 design minted, and then you may respect the coin itself a lil more due to sheer cost.?

i hope you will join us in this addiction so you can see and feel our passion for one another and something we all have in common.

were one big coin crazy family around here!!!

thats kinda of what mine set in, but it has the paper so you can add stats if you like--i type up all mine and tape them on,, a tip, is to cut the foam smaller then the coin,, and have lots of blades handy as they tend to wear fast and the foam starts to ball up instead of cut... hope this helps, i have a few i need to redo and some to add. :(

I really haven't had much of a problem with the blades cutting the foam I use. I'm really not looking forward to cutting the foam core for some of the more elaborate shaped coins.

Val asked me to get our coin collection out for some pictures......

29c982bf-9f01-4560-a4d1-4dc92e15163d.jpg

Then she asked me to pile them in one pile......

719d74b7-9245-4c3d-a8de-056df7fe28c5.jpg

Close up of the ruler..... 33 inches!!!!

678eb465-51b0-413e-9c41-564835216a3d.jpg

All spread out on the floor.....

a4512c06-68b5-442d-a4e7-a30be4478ddd.jpg

and a overhead view.......

aeabd3ea-456e-4bb6-bda2-e92c490a105e.jpg

Totals.......

13 binders, 149.6lbs, 1479 trackables activated, 219 non trackable, and 12 sitting on the desk that didn't make the picture that came in the mail in the last couple of days. total as of today 1710 coins

I fall of my chair :(

you take all your coins to a event :) i am impressed :lol:

please tell me when your addiction off coins started. :(

HI there I am a mere starter of geocaching and I have a question. I found a geocoin with a number. I tried to register it through an activation code I received. Then I got the answer it was already owned by somebody. I was advised by the creator of the geocoin to move it on to another cache.

Here are my questions:

1, What is the use of receiving an activation code if it is already owned by someone. And is the someone always the first finder???or the one who created the coin. It is a compete mystery to me and the site is not clear on this.

2. How can you lot have boxes full of geocoins while you are supposed to move them on. Perhaps I am naive but it very strange to me all...............and I would love to collect a box full of them but I alwasy want to stick to the rules.

Who can explain in plain and understandable english why I seem to be the only one who does not understand the system

NoddyKnickers and the OetsieBoys from the Netherlands

Yes I know you can buy them but I am talking about finding other peoples property that some people seem to think is now their property. What is the use of geocoins sitting in somebody's private collection while they are supposed to travel the globe. I my opinion taking geocoins out of their routing is plain theft.

NoddyKnockers and the OetsieBoys. THX for your offer anyway even though I am not sure what PM means.

Love from the Netherlands

Yes I know you can buy them but I am talking about finding other peoples property that some people seem to think is now their property. What is the use of geocoins sitting in somebody's private collection while they are supposed to travel the globe. I my opinion taking geocoins out of their routing is plain theft.

NoddyKnockers and the OetsieBoys. THX for your offer anyway even though I am not sure what PM means.

Love from the Netherlands

I fyou buy them then it is the owners choice to let them travel or keep them in a collection. These coins are legally their own property they are not stolen from a cache.

I think there are even more coins sold because of people collecting them. Most collectors have also lots of coins "in the wild" Somethimes they dissapear which can be caused by theft.

When is started i released all my coins. But then i found some really special ones i did not want to part of. So now i do collect them also. But I still release coins!

i did not pm but send an email.

Edited by millieballon

HI there I am a mere starter of geocaching and I have a question. I found a geocoin with a number. I tried to register it through an activation code I received. Then I got the answer it was already owned by somebody. I was advised by the creator of the geocoin to move it on to another cache.

Here are my questions:

1, What is the use of receiving an activation code if it is already owned by someone. And is the someone always the first finder???or the one who created the coin. It is a compete mystery to me and the site is not clear on this.

2. How can you lot have boxes full of geocoins while you are supposed to move them on. Perhaps I am naive but it very strange to me all...............and I would love to collect a box full of them but I alwasy want to stick to the rules.

Who can explain in plain and understandable english why I seem to be the only one who does not understand the system

NoddyKnickers and the OetsieBoys from the Netherlands

All geocoins who are in the geocaching field are owned by a cacher or business.

A person buys a geocoin and decide then what to do with it.

Will i keep the coin for my collection or will i set the coin free???

i set free most off my coins but i decide to keep a few also.

Many coins are stolen from me, that hurts, so i keep the coins who are very special for me.

i am glad you are mad because that means when you find a coin off me in a cache , you will not keep the coin but move it along. :(

Thank you for that. :)

rsg

The box says "Numis" on the lid, but that's the only identifying mark. The trays come with compartments of several sizes - I have two trays that hold 15 regular coins and two trays that hold 12 large coins. There are trays with smaller compartments, too, I think. Four trays per box, so a box only holds about 60 coins. If my collection ever gets as large as Sweetlife's, I'll need a LOT more boxes!

twotrays.jpg

I store my coins very similarly to Sweetlife. I started to put them all in foam cutouts but they kept falling out. I was told the foam I was using was too thin. Then I starting putting the coins in cardboard flips from coin supply stores and in pages of either 12 or 20 openings. Between each page I put a full page of foam so they don't clank against the other page. Right now I have about 7 binders. The binders are organized as personal, event, state etc. I also have several boxes that need to be put into binders. I usually take a binder with my traders in them to events. I also have small tackle boxes with clear tops that I got at Walmart for traders or those odd shaped coins that I just haven't figured out what to do with yet. LOL.

I show you with pictures how Rob has make my "Geocoin pictureframe"

schilderijmaken1.jpg

Greetzz, Marjon

This picture frame idea looks very interesting! What type of material is the grid made from? I have several frames sitting around collecting dust that could be put to good use with this idea.

First off I just started with a few coins, under 10, so I kept them in my pocket when I was out. Then I got a few more and found a small biz card holder and started to put them in that with foam board cut to the shape of the coins. Then I got so many coins that I could not even close the little card holder. So I bought a big 3 ring binder that zipped shut and bought some heavy duty biz card pages. I have all my coins in it. They did start out with the foam board then I got really behind so I ditched that and just put velcro on the open ends of the pages to hold em shut. Now I need something new. I am actually going to do 2 different things. First I am going to get a couple of those storage cases that you can get at Home Depot, Lowes, and where ever else they are sold. After I get all my coins organized in that, then I going to see about making holders for the curio cabinets we have. When I want to take the coins somewhere, will just take them out of the curio and put em in the cases.

Only reason why I am trying to get them out of the binder is that I had several of those heavy duty pages rip. Guess they aint that heavy duty. They either ripped on the out facing ends that are sealed at the factory and then some ripped the holes out that keep em in the binder. Plus some of the velcro is not holding like I thought it would. I am just starting to lose my patients with this.

I hate to put em in cases just for the fact that I will know if 1 is missing in the binder, but I am out of options at this time.

Pretty soon it will just be either stop collecting or just leave em at home in the curio.

I went with the binder/ baseball card sleeves, i think vacuum sealing them would hold them in place, ive had great luck what ive done

CUt teh Foam to the coin

Place in a single sleeve (the kind you get 100 sleeves for $1.00)

Then I take that individual sleeve and place it in the 3x3 baseball sleeve.

The double sleeve effect helps hold the coins in, the only one Ive had an issue with is GeowoodStock V its odd shape and bevel edges its fallen out a few times.

I also Double space the coins Top Page all Foam no coins, then a page of coins, then a page of all foam, then a page of coins in a large 3" ring binder.

This helps the coins not bang into each other. I got about 80coins in the binder and is about 3/4 full

Best idea ive found yet to travel quickly and store easy.

First off I just started with a few coins, under 10, so I kept them in my pocket when I was out. Then I got a few more and found a small biz card holder and started to put them in that with foam board cut to the shape of the coins. Then I got so many coins that I could not even close the little card holder. So I bought a big 3 ring binder that zipped shut and bought some heavy duty biz card pages. I have all my coins in it. They did start out with the foam board then I got really behind so I ditched that and just put velcro on the open ends of the pages to hold em shut. Now I need something new. I am actually going to do 2 different things. First I am going to get a couple of those storage cases that you can get at Home Depot, Lowes, and where ever else they are sold. After I get all my coins organized in that, then I going to see about making holders for the curio cabinets we have. When I want to take the coins somewhere, will just take them out of the curio and put em in the cases.

Only reason why I am trying to get them out of the binder is that I had several of those heavy duty pages rip. Guess they aint that heavy duty. They either ripped on the out facing ends that are sealed at the factory and then some ripped the holes out that keep em in the binder. Plus some of the velcro is not holding like I thought it would. I am just starting to lose my patients with this.

I hate to put em in cases just for the fact that I will know if 1 is missing in the binder, but I am out of options at this time.

Pretty soon it will just be either stop collecting or just leave em at home in the curio.

i feel ya,, ive spent hrs adding my coins to foam boarding and adding stats,and velcrow to stick them to the board, but im outta room and just dont have much more energy to keep cutting foam, ive gotta come up with a better way to do this. shadow boxes are a bit expensave and velcrow is out ragious,i also have to make a bigger one once i start a set - i like to display them with acess if i want to palm them ahhh this is frustrating.

i feel ya,, ive spent hrs adding my coins to foam boarding and adding stats,and velcrow to stick them to the board, but im outta room and just dont have much more energy to keep cutting foam, ive gotta come up with a better way to do this. shadow boxes are a bit expensave and velcrow is out ragious,i also have to make a bigger one once i start a set - i like to display them with acess if i want to palm them ahhh this is frustrating.

DJ, It sounds like you simply have too many coins. Just put your extrainious coins in a cardboard box and send them to me. If this is agreeable, I'll email you my address.

Thanks, and I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

I'm also a neophyte geocoin collector, only about 45 coins so far. I've been buying an extra coin if I want to give an unactivated coin away or turn one loose in the wild. My keepers are collected based on what appeals to my fancy; whether it's a functional decoder, the quality of the artwork or the inspiration of the design.

To store and display the coins, I'm currently using a combination of the Geocoin Album from thecachingplace.com and the 2x2 pocket sheets, for which I need to get a binder. I insert each coin into a coin flip before inserting it into the 2x2 pocket. The coin flips help keep the coins from falling out of the pocket.

I'm really looking out for ideas for the really large and functional navigational miniatures that thecompassrose.com has introduced. The shipping containers the coins came in have custom cut foam but the boxes are very flimsy. The Nocturnal, for instance, is over 3" long and has moving pieces. The Mariner's Astrolabe is also rather large with moving pieces and the Quadrant is pie shaped. I may wind up just using individual translucent plastic boxes for each coin, but it would be really nice to have some way to display a number of them together.

Anyone else collecting these coins have any better storage/display ideas?

Edited by lolagotit

rsg

The box says "Numis" on the lid, but that's the only identifying mark. The trays come with compartments of several sizes - I have two trays that hold 15 regular coins and two trays that hold 12 large coins. There are trays with smaller compartments, too, I think. Four trays per box, so a box only holds about 60 coins. If my collection ever gets as large as Sweetlife's, I'll need a LOT more boxes!

twotrays.jpg

After some quick Googling I found the following site:

http://www.safepub.com/catalog/coins/aluminum.htm#jewel

Which looks like the box in your picture. I don't have any experience with this vendor, it was just the first one I found.

The Aluminum Coin case also on that page look interesting.

Terrible Ts