Your Geocoin Collection

Jackalgirl

The cointest requesting pictures of your geocoin collection got locked just as I was finishing up my post. Darnit, I worked hard on that post!

So I'm going to post its contents anyway. I'd be interested to see how other people store their coins. Crowesfeat, your collection's organization is really well done -- should my collection ever get that big, I'm definitely going to consider something similar. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

So, here's the post I was going to post:

I don't have a very large collection (though it is growing). So I keep my coins in a treasure box.

No foolin'!

Treasure-Box_sm.jpg

My treasure

Okay, so what it actually is is a Chinese-themed gift box. It was originally designed to hold two bottles of wine (and had a wine rack in it). I took out the rack and use it for my coins because...well, dagnabbit, it looks like a treasure box, okay?

Geocoin-TreasureBox_sm.jpg

My precious...my precious...

Here's some of the contents. I didn't have enough room to lay them all out, but think I managed to give all of my absolute favorites some up-front space (Birka, Tengwar, Tranquility, Trigo, Yemon/Yime, Tiki Stomp, Letterboxing, etc, plus all of my navigational-themed coins and my non-standards, including the pottery spirit series and my new Coalcache coin).

On the left-hand side of the pic (and partially cut off) is a plastic container in which I store the coins I've designed -- mostly non-trackable challenge coins -- including RADM Johnson's challenge coin, CMDCM Blanks' coin (both now at the Naval Safety Center), coins for the Misawa Navy Ball (2007 and 2008), the 2008 Chiefs' Ball coin (I didn't design this one, but helped get the art ready for the mint), and the Task Force 57/72 Chief of Staff coin.

Hi! I too was dissappointed to see that thread closed. But when I looked back at the original post I guess I can see why.

Here is what I store my collection in; my husband picked one up for me and it worked out so well I eventually needed another :rolleyes:

I like to paw over my coins and so these work really well.

The blue container holds my most precious coins :)

MyGeocoins.jpg

Burgessfour, your husband is brilliant -- what a good idea! It reminds me why I do most of my geocache-shopping (excepting the swag, of course) at our local equivalent of Home Depot. : )

Yes, he definitely solved a (starting to be) huge problem for me! I think he got those at Bi-Mart, but Home Depot (or equivalent) would certainly have them too :rolleyes:

:) BOOOOO on closig the thread,, it was a good one,, and glad you opened this one,, ill try to get pics soon,,we dont have a treasure box full but our shadow box is coming along pretty good!!! thx to a few missions and my christmas bonus,,,shhhhhh dont tell my wife,, she never knew i got a bonus,, :rolleyes: ,,,,lol

I used to collection sports cards. Now I give away a lot of common ones to kids at Hallowe'en. But I still have lots of binders and pages that I used to hold the cards, so I use them to hold our geocoins. We have four binders of coins, and at least another three binders' worth still to activate. I also keep sig items and such in these binders. The binders make it easy to show the coins at events :wub:

Val asked me to get our coin collection out for some pictures......

29c982bf-9f01-4560-a4d1-4dc92e15163d.jpg

Then she asked me to pile them in one pile......

719d74b7-9245-4c3d-a8de-056df7fe28c5.jpg

Close up of the ruler..... 33 inches!!!!

678eb465-51b0-413e-9c41-564835216a3d.jpg

All spread out on the floor.....

a4512c06-68b5-442d-a4e7-a30be4478ddd.jpg

and a overhead view.......

aeabd3ea-456e-4bb6-bda2-e92c490a105e.jpg

Totals.......

13 binders, 149.6lbs, 1479 trackables activated, 219 non trackable, and 12 sitting on the desk that didn't make the picture that came in the mail in the last couple of days. total as of today 1710 coins

Totals.......

13 binders, 149.6lbs, 1479 trackables activated, 219 non trackable, and 12 sitting on the desk that didn't make the picture that came in the mail in the last couple of days. total as of today 1710 coins

All I can say is.....Wow!

Thank You burgessfour! We take alot of pride in our geocoin collection, we upload every picture of every coin we have and list it on their own geocoin page. We take along every binder of coins to every event we attend to share with anyone that like to look at them. We have to use this cart to haul all of them. Not to Mention we take out 80 pound woods carving Signal along to every event we attend as well, so we always have a vehicle filled. We lose 2 miles to a gallon of gas hauling all this around but so worth it. Can you tell we are addicted to geocoins? Laugh out Loud ;) Not to mention we joke around and call this geocoin collection our retirement fund....

Totals.......

All I can say is.....Wow!

holely molley !!! id be very proud of that too, looks like you spent a lot of time putting those in the sleaves!!

Forums like this give such good inspiration.

I went out got some 2mm foam and have cut all my coins into foam and inserted into single plastic sleeves..... next step is finding some 3x3 sheets and a binder.

Luckily I dont have as many coins as sweetlife LOL or this would of taken weeks instead of 4 hours ;)

It is fun to see all those coins. Some of them i recognise, that is even more fun.

I think i'm happy to have made a restriction on collecting coins because it really can go all the way.

I would like to display them on my desk. At the moment i do have the coins on a board for game (scrable), put they do fall down every now and then. I think i will go to somebody who knows how to process wood and maybe he can come up with something better.

I went out got some 2mm foam and have cut all my coins into foam and inserted into single plastic sleeves..... next step is finding some 3x3 sheets and a binder.

Luckily I dont have as many coins as sweetlife LOL or this would of taken weeks instead of 4 hours :ph34r:

I AGREE!!! I started a similar thread as this a month or so ago,, but did not get nearly the response this one has,,I too have been looking for ideas and to make a spin off of my own creativity.

Recently our coin shadow box boke( the glass) so am now looking againg for new ideas, to still use the box.

Luckily I dont have as many coins as sweetlife LOL or this would of taken weeks instead of 4 hours :ph34r:

I AGREE!!! I started a similar thread as this a month or so ago,, but did not get nearly the response this one has,,I too have been looking for ideas and to make a spin off of my own creativity.

Recently our coin shadow box boke( the glass) so am now looking againg for new ideas, to still use the box.

Have you thought about using plexiglass instead of glass for your shadowbox? I'm sure that Home Depot (or wherever you buy the plastic) can cut it down to size & shape for you.

My husband has a very large model of the Wasa which is in a case. Because we move frequently (I am in the military), he had plexiglas cut for the case instead of glass. It has held up very well.

Edited to add: I've been thinking about ways to display single coins so that you can see both sides. One would be to "sandwich" the coins between two panes of glass -- that is, instead of using the regular backing for (say) a shadowbox, you use more plexiglass. If you cut holes in another piece of mat and place the coins in there, and then sandwich it in your shadowbox frame, you can either hang it up in such a way as to be able to see the back (in front of a mirror, maybe) or you can occassionally turn the box around to display the other side for a while. (I hope this makes sense.)

Edited by Jackalgirl

Right now I am using a retired camera bag. It has lots of pockets,compartments and padding. I am going to be building a display box though. It will have a display case on top and 3 to 5 drawers in the cabinet part. I am making it out of oak that was recovered from the bottom of Georgian Bay here in Ontario. The wood is a couple hundred years old and really nice looking so I think it will make a nice chest for coins.

Luckily I dont have as many coins as sweetlife LOL or this would of taken weeks instead of 4 hours :unsure:

Have you thought about using plexiglass instead of glass for your shadowbox? I'm sure that Home Depot (or wherever you buy the plastic) can cut it down to size & shape for you.

My husband has a very large model of the Wasa which is in a case. Because we move frequently (I am in the military), he had plexiglas cut for the case instead of glass. It has held up very well.

Edited to add: I've been thinking about ways to display single coins so that you can see both sides. One would be to "sandwich" the coins between two panes of glass -- that is, instead of using the regular backing for (say) a shadowbox, you use more plexiglass. If you cut holes in another piece of mat and place the coins in there, and then sandwich it in your shadowbox frame, you can either hang it up in such a way as to be able to see the back (in front of a mirror, maybe) or you can occassionally turn the box around to display the other side for a while. (I hope this makes sense.)

I been pondering that for awhile now , how to get both sides, as before i put a peice of velcro on the back of the coin flap[ so to see it you would just lift the flap, last night i bought some foam for school projects and am going to expearment with a few ideas ive had. but for today ive committed to my records, my other hobby djing.

It is nice to know there are some other folks out there who are as crazy as I am. I don't have a photo of my grenade box on this computer, but I can say that I have more geocoins out circulating in the wild. I like reading the emails too. Today was a good day. I had over 100 geocoin tracking emails.

my coins, the non-tranquility ones, are stored alphabetically in a box that a pair of boots came in. i have a bunch of old transparency/slide boxes and they are perfect for coins, acting like separators inside the box. the tranqs are in another smaller cardboard box, but i want to find some way to display them. i saw one collection that was in wooden boxes with velvet inserts that looked very nice, but i can't remember who had those! but i really like that clear display above. that would be perfect!

rsg

Love that table Sweetlife!! Maybe someday I'll have enough coins to make something like that. :) For now I use clear acrylic shadow boxes with the coins set into craft foam. I actually just re-did them to this yesterday. Before that they were taped to an old cutting board that was hanging on my wall. Duplicates are stored in a bag next to my chair so they're handy for trading.

coinfoam.jpg

my coins, the non-tranquility ones, are stored alphabetically in a box that a pair of boots came in. i have a bunch of old transparency/slide boxes and they are perfect for coins, acting like separators inside the box. the tranqs are in another smaller cardboard box, but i want to find some way to display them. i saw one collection that was in wooden boxes with velvet inserts that looked very nice, but i can't remember who had those! but i really like that clear display above. that would be perfect!

rsg

Hi RedShoesGirl,

I show you with pictures how Rob has make my "Geocoin pictureframe"

schilderijmaken1.jpg

schilderijmaken2.JPG

schilderijmaken3.JPG

schilderijmaken4.JPG

Schilderijmar6.JPG

This one is make from Plywood

Greetzz, Marjon

Edited by pingos

You’re kidding? So I’m new at this but I thought the point of these geocoins was to make the game of geo caching more interesting by seeing where they go and how many miles they travel. When that little kid finds a coin and runs home to check where it’s been. Gets so excited he buys his own and is so excited to place it. He waits and watches as it moves from cache to cache. But no you guys have to hunt these coins and take them out of action. That’s pretty selfish?

How come you have to keep the coins just take a picture and you wouldn’t have to be that nerd that has 15 binders of coins weighing 500 pounds. You could have a single file on your computer and you could still brag you all of your fellow coin collectors but yet those coins would still be part of the game.

Just that I find the keeping of the coins is real childish? It’s like pokemon cards "got to have them all" grow up people it’s a game don’t be that person that makes that little kid stop believing in something as cool as geocaching.

I think it’s a real cool idea to collect these coins there are some really crazy ones out there the ones that no one has activated. but why steal from caches?

Id love feed back

Ummm........first off......no one here steals geocoins, we buy new unactivated ones and trade for others. Some of us have our own coins made to trade or sell. Perhaps you should do a little more reading in the forums before making accusations like this.

:lol:

*edited to add popcorn.

Edited by DaFunkyFrogs

iANNAi

Who said the coins were stolen? They are not, I assure you. We collectors enjoy seeing coins in caches as much as anyone else and, probably more so than others, understand how important it is they keep traveling per their owner's wishes.

All these coins you see in these photos are personal bought/traded coins. NOT STOLEN.

You’re kidding? So I’m new at this but I thought the point of these geocoins was to make the game of geo caching more interesting by seeing where they go and how many miles they travel. When that little kid finds a coin and runs home to check where it’s been. Gets so excited he buys his own and is so excited to place it. He waits and watches as it moves from cache to cache. But no you guys have to hunt these coins and take them out of action. That’s pretty selfish?

How come you have to keep the coins just take a picture and you wouldn’t have to be that nerd that has 15 binders of coins weighing 500 pounds. You could have a single file on your computer and you could still brag you all of your fellow coin collectors but yet those coins would still be part of the game.

Just that I find the keeping of the coins is real childish? It’s like pokemon cards "got to have them all" grow up people it’s a game don’t be that person that makes that little kid stop believing in something as cool as geocaching.

I think it’s a real cool idea to collect these coins there are some really crazy ones out there the ones that no one has activated. but why steal from caches?

Id love feed back

I'm curious; where did you get the impression that these coins were stolen?

I used to collection sports cards. Now I give away a lot of common ones to kids at Hallowe'en. But I still have lots of binders and pages that I used to hold the cards, so I use them to hold our geocoins. We have four binders of coins, and at least another three binders' worth still to activate. I also keep sig items and such in these binders. The binders make it easy to show the coins at events :)

I am in the same situation there and would love to use the card sleeves, but I have found they just fall out of them at times when jostled around...and heaven forbid you turn that thing upside down!!! How do you get yours to stay in? I even tried a coin collecting supply place and the coin pages they have only fit up to a 2" round coin, which will do most of them, but some of the strange shaped ones won't work in those. What's your secret?

Id love feed back

So do you often drink before you get on internet forums?

Edited by TEAM HARTSOCK