What is it called?

vwaldoguy

I'm trying to think of the name of a puzzle box that is shaped like a tube, usually has spinning rings or locks, etc. Once you've got the right combination, the tube then opens, revealing the treasure inside. It's crypto something or other, but we can't pull out the name. They've used these before on the Amazing Race. I also think someone on here mentioned they built one out of PVC too, but I can't remember the name of the device. Am phoning a friend here and asking for help. I've googled everything I can think of.

Yup, that's it. Cryptex. I knew it was something like that. Anyone have any plans to build one?

Somewhere in the Cool Cache Containers thread http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=62421 there is a fellow that made something like it. You might be able to contact him for plans.

The thread is up to 56 pages so it may take a while to get thru it to find the post you are looking for.

I'm trying to think of the name of a puzzle box that is shaped like a tube, usually has spinning rings or locks, etc. Once you've got the right combination, the tube then opens, revealing the treasure inside. It's crypto something or other, but we can't pull out the name. They've used these before on the Amazing Race. I also think someone on here mentioned they built one out of PVC too, but I can't remember the name of the device. Am phoning a friend here and asking for help. I've googled everything I can think of.

Watchdog2020 has a PVC version that he used on one of his caches. I found the container but neglected to write down the combo provided elsewhere for the multi-cache so I never got it open. It was also the same cache where I came upon some large black bear tracks in the snow in between the first and second stages.

I just did a Google and found this...

http://www.thegoodgift.co.uk/gift001/cryptic.html

I just did a Google and found this...

http://www.thegoodgift.co.uk/gift001/cryptic.html

That link charges $64.00 American plus international shipping. Anyone willing to leave something that expensive in a cache better be prepared for it to disappear.

I actually did find some plans on the Internet, and built a quick working mockup last night. I did see that one by Watchdog in the cool cache container list, but I plan to make mine smaller, like 3" x 8". It should be a fun cache (hopefully).

(cryptex) I just sent you an e-mail with the info you are looking for. :D

It takes A lot of time to make the one I did, But the results are very cool.

NYPaddleCacher - The bear is a friend of mine that protects it from Muggles. The whole multi ran about 100 dollars after 'R&D' and the materials needed (not all in cryptex costs). Needed some extra protection in the area to watch over it so people would 'leaf' it alone.

Edited by WatchDog2020

I actually did find some plans on the Internet, and built a quick working mockup last night. I did see that one by Watchdog in the cool cache container list, but I plan to make mine smaller, like 3" x 8". It should be a fun cache (hopefully).

NYPaddleCacher - The bear is a friend of mine that protects it from Muggles. The whole multi ran about 100 dollars after 'R&D' and the materials needed (not all in cryptex costs). Needed some extra protection in the area to watch over it so people would 'leaf' it alone.

any chance in you sending those plans my way as well?

I'd like the plans also if possible.

To all that have shown interest in the plans

I'm off work today and the guide sheets I drew up for another cacher are on my work computer. I have to go into work tomorrow and will post them on this thread (or a new one). I kept them pretty close to the vest but shared the constuction with another cacher last month who has been keeping a great on-line photo gallery of his progress. I'll contact him and see if I can openly share his pics. To those that I sent the link already. Please don't share until I check with him.

I couldn't find any plans last summer so I played around until I got a design that worked great. Be warned. People will beat the hell out of it to try to get it open :D . My Cryptex has scars to prove it, but has held up great.

Not many local cachers come to the forums so I'll share the cache - GC1E361 (NyPaddleCacher - shut your eyes)

Part one of the multi takes you to a birdhouse in the woods. You open it and inside is a 1970's one cent gumball machine (glass replaced with 1/4 tin). You put a penny in and turn the handle and a 30 second recording of 'Rockin Robin' plays and a one inch white glass marble comes out. There are 20 marbles in the machine and a return here please hole to replace them. On the marble are the coords for part 2 which is about 100 yards away. On the inside door of the bird house are leaves in correct order. They are the combo for the cryptex. Once you get the cryptex and leaves in the correct order it opens like a key coming out of a lock. The inside of the key has a bung plug. The plug is 100% water proof and holds the log book and a bunch of replacement pennys. The key is body is 2 1/2 OD about a foot long and holds the swag.

I placed the cache on a strip of woods that is off a dirt road that my father owns (the land, not the road -lol) The cache is easy and fun. The best part was that my 9 and 10 year old sons 'helped' me make it and place it.

Edited by WatchDog2020

To all that have shown interest in the plans

I'm off work today and the guide sheets I drew up for another cacher are on my work computer. I have to go into work tomorrow and will post them on this thread (or a new one). I kept them pretty close to the vest but shared the constuction with another cacher last month who has been keeping a great on-line photo gallery of his progress. I'll contact him and see if I can openly share his pics. To those that I sent the link already. Please don't share until I check with him.

I couldn't find any plans last summer so I played around until I got a design that worked great. Be warned. People will beat the hell out of it to try to get it open :D . My Cryptex has scars to prove it, but has held up great.

Not many local cachers come to the forums so I'll share the cache - GC1E361 (NyPaddleCaher - shut your eyes)

Part one of the multi takes you to a birdhouse in the woods. You open it and inside is a 1970's one cent gumball machine (glass replaced with 1/4 tin). You put a penny in and turn the handle and a 30 second recording of 'Rockin Robin' plays and a one inch white glass marble comes out. There are 20 marbles in the machine and a return here please hole to replace them. On the marble are the coords for part 2 which is about 100 yards away. On the inside door of the bird house are leaves in correct order. They are the combo for the cryptex. One you get the cryptex and leaves in the correct order it opens like a key coming out of a lock. The inside of the key has a bung plug. The plug is 100% water proof and holds the log book and a bunch of replacement pennys. The key is body is 2 1/2 OD about a foot long and holds the swag.

I placed the cache on a strip of woods that is off a dirt road that my father owns (the land, not the road -lol) The cache is easy and fun. The best part was that my 9 and 10 year old sons 'helped' me make it and place it.

That sounds like one awesome cache! Nice work watchdog!

Ok, here are the guide sheets I made.

1) They are not to scale

2) Detailed measurements are not there on purpose. The key to the whole thing are the pipe sizes with the 2 1/2inch gray Electrical PVC being the important one.

3) I'm not an architect, engineer etc.

4) I'm sure there are other (better) ways to do it, this just shows the concept of how I did it.

The concept is that the dials float around the 3inch pipe that has the slit in it. Inside the 3 inch is the 2 1/2 inch pipe that has key 'teeth' on it. When closed the teeth are aligned in the center of the dials and the coupler spacers that are glued in the 4inch dials keep the teeth trapped untless they are aligned in the keyway slots. Note: Set the spacers back a little inside the dials to keep people from looking between the spacer and dial for the keyway. I even cut false keyways 1/2 way through on the outside edge to prevent cheating.

I sent an e-mail to the Cacher that is keeping a photo log. He said he'll update the photos and provide the link soon. The pics are very nice and his text with them will be very helpful.

They print larger and are readable.

coneqm8.jpg

ctwoeb8.jpg

cthreeqp1.jpg

Edited by WatchDog2020

I hope to have my wood cryptex up and running in a day or two (need to get some tools from my FIL first). It will use 3" wood rings (made with a hole saw and drill press from 1x4 stock) and spacers, with 1 1/4" and 7/8" PVC as the outside and inside tubes. Hopefully it will turn out as I've envisioned. Just need to get the fabrication done. Plan to use epoxy to bond the wood/pvc together. Does anyone have any ideas for attaching vinyl lettering to wood? Was thinking of staining the wood dials, then attaching vinyl letters, then applying some type of decopauge or varnish to keep the letters on the rings.

I hope to have my wood cryptex up and running in a day or two (need to get some tools from my FIL first). It will use 3" wood rings (made with a hole saw and drill press from 1x4 stock) and spacers, with 1 1/4" and 7/8" PVC as the outside and inside tubes. Hopefully it will turn out as I've envisioned. Just need to get the fabrication done. Plan to use epoxy to bond the wood/pvc together. Does anyone have any ideas for attaching vinyl lettering to wood? Was thinking of staining the wood dials, then attaching vinyl letters, then applying some type of decopauge or varnish to keep the letters on the rings.

I think wood veneers might work better. You could cut out letters from a different wood and attach them to the veneer while it was still flat and then curve it around the PVC pipe.

WatchDog2020 was kind enough to share his plans with me. I started to use his plans to make a PVC cryptex. I have posted some pictures at this link.

You may find these helpful when using the same plans. In comments with those photos, I detail some of the problems that I encountered.

I am not satisfied with the device I have as of this writing so I'll try again armed with the knowledge that I gained in this first attempt.

I know it's been a while but WatchDog or Rocky, are you guys still following this thread? I've run in to some technical difficulties and have a question.

So far I've cut the 4" pipe and 3" coupler rings. The 3" rings are fairly snug so should be easy to glue in but the 3" pipe is incredibly tight and I'm not sure they could even be forced on. Did you encounter this as well?

Thanks!

I know it's been a while but WatchDog or Rocky, are you guys still following this thread? I've run in to some technical difficulties and have a question.

So far I've cut the 4" pipe and 3" coupler rings. The 3" rings are fairly snug so should be easy to glue in but the 3" pipe is incredibly tight and I'm not sure they could even be forced on. Did you encounter this as well?

Thanks!

Will send you an e-mail - jason

i missed this last time round but now ive seen it looks like im off to the plumbers centre

I scrounged the 2", 3" and 4" pipe from friends so I didn't have to buy 10ft of each but found when I went to Lowe's for the couplers and caps that they sell those sizes in 2ft sections. Though judging from your use of the word "centre" you're probably not in the US and don't have a Lowe's. :unsure: