2009 Cache-o-lutions

J-Way

Here are J-Way's cache-o-lutions for the 2009 calendar year. Before midnight, December 31, 2009, I will:

1. Complete all requirements for "fizzy" or well-rounded cacher challenges (currently at 61/81 on the grid, all typical cache types, and all years but 2000).

2. Keep average cache difficulty rating above 2.0, currently at 2.01/2.06.

3. Raise average physical cache terrain rating above 2.0, at least temporarily. This excludes virtual caches, events, etc. Currently at about 1.93 (INATN is down so I can't check).

4. Obtain Earthcache Platinum Master status (all I have to do for this is list 2 new earthcaches).

5. Find caches in at least 4 new states.

6. Finally catch the Golden Goat (or at least complete all active caches in the series).

7. Place at least 10 good, quality caches (ones that I would enjoy hunting, not just for the numbers).

[similar to the thread last April "Unorthodox personal goals".]

For the past two years, I've developed very detailed goal lists similar to J-Way's. In 2008 I only achieved one of the goals (by getting my "number of states cached" to 37). You can see the goals and my progress or lack thereof by clicking on my profile page link.

So, I failed at nearly all of my goals, yet I still had a terrific, fun year of geocaching. I then decided a week or so ago that I would NOT have a list of goals for 2009. I will still work toward my long-term goals but they don't all have to be completed in one year.

My only New Year's Resolution is to have fun.

Here are J-Way's cache-o-lutions for the 2009 calendar year. Before midnight, December 31, 2009, I will:

1. Complete all requirements for "fizzy" or well-rounded cacher challenges (currently at 61/81 on the grid, all typical cache types, and all years but 2000).

2. Keep average cache difficulty rating above 2.0, currently at 2.01/2.06.

3. Raise average physical cache terrain rating above 2.0, at least temporarily. This excludes virtual caches, events, etc. Currently at about 1.93 (INATN is down so I can't check).

4. Obtain Earthcache Platinum Master status (all I have to do for this is list 2 new earthcaches).

5. Find caches in at least 4 new states.

6. Finally catch the Golden Goat (or at least complete all active caches in the series).

7. Place at least 10 good, quality caches (ones that I would enjoy hunting, not just for the numbers).

1. I've got 57 of 81 Fizzy Combinations. But I'm not into kayaking, so I doubt that I'll get very far with the 5 terrain. Do have a 5 difficulty 3 terrain mystery cache that I've solved!

2. 3. Happy with my 1.5/1.5 terrai.difficulty ratings.

4. Hey. If the state park won't give me written permission for EarthCaches, I give up on placing them. More's the pity.

5. I refuse to fly! Might get two new states next year!

6. No comment on Golden Goats

7. Got 26 hides in 4 and a half years of geocaching. I like them! Too bad cachers are too lazy to hike a mile each way. Oh, well.

My resolution for 2009? Try to have fun geocaching!!!

People appear to be misinterpreting the goal of this thread. OF COURSE the main goal is to have fun and find more caches... otherwise why play? Posting that response is basically saying that you have no caching goals for the year, which is not a bad thing. These really aren't goals that people absolutely HAVE to complete, just general goals. If I don't make mine, well, who cares? Just re-list them next December and keep playing and having fun.

Considering that I have 20 grids left, I filled less than 20 last year, and the ones that are left will be even harder to fill, the chances of finishing #1 are pretty slim. But it's a goal.

#2 will be pretty easy, but #3 is doubtful because there are lots of fun 1.5 terrain caches out there, and I usually cache with my not-quite-3-year-old-son whose little legs aren't able to handle multi-mile hikes. But it's a goal.

Completing #4 is a matter of laziness and time to do the write-ups. #5 depends on my work schedule. If I work on projects in new states, or I drive through new states on the way to site visits, then I'll add new states. That's how I got 4 of my current states. Otherwise, it's just a goal.

#6 is fairly doubtful because of the limited time I spend in Mississippi, and the fact that a few of the remaining 4 in the series are hours of driving away from nearest family (my excuse for being in the state) and each takes hours to complete. But it's a goal.

#7 is mainly to get me out of the house to implement some of the ideas I have for puzzle and multi caches. Another matter of laziness combined with not much available time.

But the main point wasn't to dissect my goals, but for other people to list their goals. Maybe someone out there has a personal goal that I really like and want to add to my list. Maybe not. It's just a fun thread (IMHO), not a serious discussion.

1. Finally place my own cache. I am looking forward to having one of my own but first I need to get myself an ammo box and pick the perfect spot!

2. Keep making videos of my caching adventures! I'd like to get my youtube show more exposure, its a fun way for cachers to come along on finds which might be far from their homes. Also good to live vicariously on bad weather days for caching!

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=1903196B320AE031

Edited by Vartan84