Magellan or Garmin

Hello,

I am new at this whole geocaching thing and I am having problems finding accurate information on which gps unit would be best. I am looking at a Magellan triton 1500 or a Garmin 6ocx. I want the most for my money and I am not sure what to look for. I don't want to have buy alot of extra stuff just to use this thing for geocaching and driving around my state. That is all I am going to use it for anyway !!!

So if anyone out there can help me please do so..... I am going to purchase one sometime today !!!

I've been looking at the DeLorme PN-40! Talk about a unit with everything...maps included, acces to aerial views, routable even on trails....WOW! And a mere $338!!

ooops, I should add I'm just window shopping lol...and maybe dreaming? This would be the unit I'd buy if I had the money!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

I love my Garmin (76Csx). However, I can't say that it's better than a Magellan because I haven't used the latter.

My primary consideration was finding a unit that could download the UpUpDown mapset of Japan, since that's where my family is. Your requirements are probably a bit different.

The advice I always give when people are looking for unit advice is this: read the Forums. Get a sense of what features people like to use. Look for a device that offers you those features at the most reasonable price. Don't forget to look at sites like "Consumer Report".

If you have a local Geocaching club or association, get in touch with them -- if you go to their next meeting, perhaps the other geocachers will let you play with their GPSrs so that you can see which one(s) are the most intuitively easy to use, and have the features you like. It really helps to be able to handle the units and see how easy it is to access and use those features.

Garmin all the way. THe Magellan I've used was not user friendly. Navigating through menus was not logical. A lot of the geocaching software programs that I am familiar with did not support the Magellan. Probably a different story with the newer Magellans, I don't know. I love my Garmin 76csx, but I bought it for fishing. Ironically, geocaching is about all I do with it now!

Between Magellan & Garmin, it's a no-brainer - Garmin.

However, I'm planning on a DeLorme PN-40 in a couple months. It looks to be a much better value than the Garmin Oregon and some of the other comparably-priced Garmins.

Many cachers are going paperless these days. The DeLorme PN-40 will provide a truly paperless experience. Everthing required is in the box, there is no other software to aquire or hardware, such as a PDA, to buy.

Between Magellan & Garmin, it's a no-brainer - Garmin.

However, I'm planning on a DeLorme PN-40 in a couple months. It looks to be a much better value than the Garmin Oregon and some of the other comparably-priced Garmins.

Many cachers are going paperless these days. The DeLorme PN-40 will provide a truly paperless experience. Everthing required is in the box, there is no other software to aquire or hardware, such as a PDA, to buy.

Some Garmins have that as well, IIRC.

Some Garmins have that as well, IIRC.

Yes, however, the only Garmin models mentioned above were of the 60 and 76 series models which do not support paperless caching on a standalone basis. Those Garmin models that do were not a subject of recommendations above, so I chose not to address those as they did not appear to be candidates.

Hello,

I am new at this whole geocaching thing and I am having problems finding accurate information on which gps unit would be best. I am looking at a Magellan triton 1500 or a Garmin 6ocx. I want the most for my money and I am not sure what to look for. I don't want to have buy alot of extra stuff just to use this thing for geocaching and driving around my state. That is all I am going to use it for anyway !!!

So if anyone out there can help me please do so..... I am going to purchase one sometime today !!!

I got a new Magellan 400 before Christmas and a Garmin 60C off Craigs List. It took SOOOOO long for the Magellan to load files from Easy GPS (30+minutes) I got fed up. The Garmin has limited displays (Name and clue or GC and Name), and the Magellan displays all the information to include hint, but it was too cumbersome to use the small buttons on the bottom.

I took the Magellan back to the store.

I would go with either the 1500 or the PN-40. I have a Triton 2000 and a -40 and love them both. Magellan has gotten a bad rap lately but the firmware issues have been worked out so my only complaint is their customer service. However if you unit work great like mine does you will never need it. Forget the 60csx, it is not paperless and is too big. Get the 1500 or PN-40, you will love either one.