Facebook

Purplesheila

I know many people are not fans of Facebook

Some are.

I have noticed that on many websites you can add a link to your own facebook with a photo such as:-

Jamie Oliver - Recipes - turkey and sweet leek pie

Source: www.jamieoliver.com

Here are a few tasty recipes that I’ve set aside for my website. Don’t forget to let me know how you get on with them in the forum. Why don't you inspire me with your cooking as well by uploading your own recipes in the blog section.

I think that this should be something that Geocaching.com shoul look into. It would raise the profile and hopefully get more people into it.

Obviously It wouldn't say the Location, Maybe just the discription and link so other people can look into starting

What are your views

Welcome to the addiction PurpleSheila! :D

I don't want to rain on the parade, but I am not terribly sure what the point is, we already have a great networking device here don't we ... gc.com? ;)

Advertising geocaching seems to be a double edged sword. Yes, it does bring more folk into the hobby, but surely likeminded folk would discover geocaching eventually anyways via various other outdoor type sites?

Some over energetic newbies can cause problems! Interesting to note, by complete coincidence, the same person was present when this happened!

Heh. I signed up for Facebook before I left the States to give people an easy way to find me. Several of my caching buddies friended me, and I just noticed one "became a fan of" Geocacher Magazine. I suppose the point of the exercise is that you get notifications when new issues come out.

If there were a tactful way to trim my friends list to people whose lives I was genuinely interested in, I'd find Facebook a more useful resource. As it is, I got dogpiled on by people from school a thousand years ago whose little scrubbed faces I can barely recall. Why I should care what they had for supper tonight, I'm quite unsure.

Heh. I signed up for Facebook before I left the States to give people an easy way to find me. Several of my caching buddies friended me, and I just noticed one "became a fan of" Geocacher Magazine. I suppose the point of the exercise is that you get notifications when new issues come out.

If there were a tactful way to trim my friends list to people whose lives I was genuinely interested in, I'd find Facebook a more useful resource. As it is, I got dogpiled on by people from school a thousand years ago whose little scrubbed faces I can barely recall. Why I should care what they had for supper tonight, I'm quite unsure.

Oooooooooo!

Are you the Auntie Weasel? :rolleyes:

Sorry... I digressed...

Back to the Topic in hand.

MrsB :)

Are you the Auntie Weasel? :rolleyes:

Aiiiii! Don't call Immigration! I'm several visas away from un-deportable.

Actually, there's an AuntyWeasel who lives in California who was here before me. I was embarrassed, but she was gracious about it and let me keep the moniker.

Hm. I'm tempted to write a rude limerick for you, but there isn't another thing that rhymes with "orange."

I'm totally lost to the point of this thread, it starts off about facebook and then goes onto talking about Jamie bloody Oliver and recipes, both of which have nothing to do with caching? What do you wish geocaching to adopt exactly?

If you dont get the question why bother with an answer!!

Obviously not a Facebooker, I think you would have got the question if you were!!

The idea is to post a link, like a little credit to your "facebook" page. Which would also raise the Profile of Geocashing

The reason I linked Jamie Oliver was tha was the one I linked up last .... all the big websites are doing it... hope this clears up the missunderstanding

I have joined the geocache group on facebook.

Advertising geocaching seems to be a double edged sword. Yes, it does bring more folk into the hobby, but surely likeminded folk would discover geocaching eventually anyways via various other outdoor type sites?

On joining I thourght the Ethos of Geocashing was to introduce friends and Family

Get Out and Play

Mark your car as a waypoint to ensure your safe return.

Be mindful of the environment, practice Cache In Trash Out.

Bring friends and family with you; sharing the experience can be very rewarding. Pets are usually welcome, too!

Remember that distances can be deceiving. A geocache can take longer to find depending on trails, rivers and other obstacles.

On joining I thourght the Ethos of Geocashing was to introduce friends and Family

First things first, geocaching ... :D In the spirit of "Any publicity is good publicity so long as they spell your name right" LOL

Yes, friends and family ... indeed!

I still don't really see the need to use another webiste to do a job which this one does very well already.

I'm totally lost to the point of this thread, it starts off about facebook and then goes onto talking about Jamie bloody Oliver and recipes, both of which have nothing to do with caching? What do you wish geocaching to adopt exactly?

Obviously not a Facebooker, I think you would have got the question if you were!!

The idea is to post a link, like a little credit to your "facebook" page. Which would also raise the Profile of Geocashing

The reason I linked Jamie Oliver was tha was the one I linked up last .... all the big websites are doing it... hope this clears up the missunderstanding

I'm sorry to have touched a nerve, but if you read my post again you will see that I didn't understand your initial opening. Hence why I finished with a question.

For the record I am a facebooker (if that's a word?) and have been for about 2 years, I am also linked to a few caching sites and also have the GC.com profile link on my account, as do many other cachers.

Linky to profile stats banner. A little search of Geocaching on facebook would have brought this up as the second hit on the Applications tab.

I'm sorry to have touched a nerve, but if you read my post again you will see that I didn't understand your initial opening. Hence why I finished with a question.

For the record I am a facebooker (if that's a word?) and have been for about 2 years, I am also linked to a few caching sites and also have the GC.com profile link on my account, as do many other cachers.

Linky to profile stats banner. A little search of Geocaching on facebook would have brought this up as the second hit on the Applications tab.

Sorry if I read your message in the wrong context ;) too much of christmas sherry like Dorsetgal & GeoDog !!... wish you all a happy new year and lots of exciting Geocaching. This is a great networking site keep it up!!

Edited by Purplesheila

Sorry if I read your message in the wrong context :) too much of christmas sherry like Dorsetgal & GeoDog !!... wish you all a happy new year and lots of exciting Geocaching. This is a great networking site keep it up!!

Not to worry, all the best for the New Year, and I hope you find your new hobby to be a worthwhile pursuit.

Sorry if I read your message in the wrong context :laughing: too much of christmas sherry like Dorsetgal & GeoDog !!... wish you all a happy new year and lots of exciting Geocaching.
Dorsetgal hitting the sherry I can understand but GeoDog as well!!! :P:D:laughing::D

Most dogs I know will drink anything that is left within reach, so if that was a sweet sherry, I'm sure it would be lapped up (quite literally) :):laughing: