Garmin venture HC accuracy

jsg1235

hi, new to the fourm, and I bought a garmin venture hc in july 2008 and have used it in a couple of caches and everytime it is always about 30-50 feet off the mark, and it has the WAAS which is supposed to be accurate within 3 meters, has anyone else had this problem? one more thing, it doesnt like to redirect itself very fast, like i could be facing north, turn and walk several feet south and the screen never changes, it there a way to fix this?

Thank you

nick

hi, new to the fourm, and I bought a garmin venture hc in july 2008 and have used it in a couple of caches and everytime it is always about 30-50 feet off the mark, and it has the WAAS which is supposed to be accurate within 3 meters, has anyone else had this problem? one more thing, it doesnt like to redirect itself very fast, like i could be facing north, turn and walk several feet south and the screen never changes, it there a way to fix this?

Thank you

nick

I use the GPSr as you and do not have those problems. For WAAS to work, you have to manually turn this feature on. I am not sure you did this or not. Also, Garmin has published at least three firmware and chipset updates. Have you updated your Garmin? If not, the process is free. Just copy this and paste in your web browser: http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp

Then install the software, turn on your GPSr and connect using the supplied USB cable.

Hope this helps,

Joe

Have you checked it with Google earth ? I use vista hcx for caching, had a few caches that were that far off. Thought it might be the unit . picked a spot on google earth, marked the coord. Vista took me straight to it every time! The ability of the hider to log coord. can give seekers fits ! Thats what i would try. or try some more caches. Im scared of updates ! always hear bad stories!