Butterfly Suncatcher Coin - Any Interest?

sunsetmeadowlark

I have designed a suncatcher coin and I'm curious if there would be any interest in it. Here is the initial design for a 1.75" coin. According to Oak Coins they will need to simplify some of the details on the artwork to allow the metal in the inner piece of the suncatcher to be the width that is needed but it would be kept as close to this as possible.

coin_butterfly4.jpg

I am hoping to have 250 coins produced, 100 satin gold, 100 satin silver, and 50 (LE) copper. They would be trackable and have their own icon. Reminting in different finishes may be done in the future but never again in these finishes. 5-10 of each finish will be retained by me for cointests/gifts/my collection.

I would have to pre-sell most of these to pay for the production. I know people are a bit leary of pre-sells but I will provide my eBay ID (same as my forum name) so you can check my feedback and will also provide full contact info with several different phone #'s that I can be reached at.

Cost would be $10.50 each for the satin gold & silver, $14.50 for the LE copper. Postage not included of course. ;) Postage would be $2 for the first coin, $.50 for each additional up to a total of $5. International postage would be $4 for the first coin, $.75 for each additional.

If you are interested please PM me or e-mail me through GS with your PayPal address and contact info. If there is enough interest I will get the ball really rolling and will send invoices.

Edited by sunsetmeadowlark

I think before you start taking money you should really finalize the design and do samples first. These suncatcher coins tend to be quite complicated, and can take a while to complete. If you take money now, then finalize the design, then get samples, then go into production.... I can see you going well past the 45 day mark that paypal requires that you file a complaint by.

I think before you start taking money you should really finalize the design and do samples first. These suncatcher coins tend to be quite complicated, and can take a while to complete. If you take money now, then finalize the design, then get samples, then go into production.... I can see you going well past the 45 day mark that paypal requires that you file a complaint by.

I agre with MustangJoni. Plus you will find that these are more expensive to produce.

Looks nice.

I agree with MustangJoni. I would be interested in purchasing some of these coins (the design looks good), and even to participate in a pre-sale. However I don't think I would participate in the pre-sale until you have a final design and some samples and a proposed shipping date within the 45 days that paypal uses for complaints/refunds.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me...

Just my humble opinion...

Doh, I should have been more clear in my original post. No invoices would be sent and no payments accepted until I have a final design and samples here. That could turn into a nightmare and I sure don't want to tie up anyone's money any longer than necessary! I simply put this post out to guage interest to see if I should even bother having them do a final design. I do already have a price quote so the prices listed here are definite.

Sorry for the confusion, my fingers get ahead of my brain and I tend to word things poorly! :rolleyes:

I like the design but there are two things that would prevent me from buying it o.

first is I prefer personal coins and would interested in buying it if it it were personalized

second after being burned a couple time on pre-sales I won't do a pre-sale unless it is with a coin seller that has a solid reputation for delivering the coins in a timely manor.

My suggestion is to wait till you can afford to pay for it yourself then do it and sell it.

that is the route I took with mine.

Doh, I should have been more clear in my original post. No invoices would be sent and no payments accepted until I have a final design and samples here. That could turn into a nightmare and I sure don't want to tie up anyone's money any longer than necessary! I simply put this post out to guage interest to see if I should even bother having them do a final design. I do already have a price quote so the prices listed here are definite.

Sorry for the confusion, my fingers get ahead of my brain and I tend to word things poorly! :rolleyes:

Thanks for clearing that up! I look forward to seeing the samples! I'll bet it is going to look great!

You also might consider submitting it to a company and see if they would like to produce and sell it. It (the butterfly coin) is a great idea. If you do this, you won't personally have to worry about doing a presale.

Edited by MustangJoni

Very nice design. I love nature and butterflies; I am not sure what the suncatcher effect does but it sounds like it could only add to the design. I would agree to reserve and then pre-pay at time of sample.

Sounds like the approaching of a company might also be a good idea.

Haven't made my own coin yet - though I suspect I will. For years I wanted a tattoo but never could commit to a design - at least with coins you can keep making new ones. :-D

In all honesty, you should really consider the suggestions made above because most comments are being made by seasoned coiners.

Pre-sales no matter when you take the money are a risk for customers and if you do a little research you'll find too many people who have been 'hosed' lately by several small-time vendors this past year. Considering you're pretty new to the scene, many people are going to be 'gun-shy' about sending $$$ for a coin not in hand. Ebay id with a 100% rating doesn't really mean anything here because that doesn't afford anyone protection.

Besides, pre-sales can get your paypal account locked. There is no guarantee that the mint will deliver on the promised time-schedule and there may be damaged coins that have to be redone. There are a number of issues that will delay a coin and your first time out of the gate you don't want to be dealing with it.

Of course you can do what you want but you're better off for your first coin or two, working with a vendor and getting AE versions for yourself and establsihing yourself as a serious coin designer and building an honest and trustworthy history which may help you in the future if you decide to do a pre-sale. Otherwise, fork over the $$$ and buy the coins outright and then sell them.

If you are serious about going forward with pre-sales no matter what anyone here says, have you considered what you'll do or how you'll handle a coin that doesn't sell 250, are you prepared to buy the rest to make up for the difference?

About the design, I think a Bitteroot would be much nicer :rolleyes: but that's the Montanan in me talkin'

Best wishes either way.

tsun

I am currently talking to someone about having them do the reservations/sales. More info to come if I go that route. As stated above, nothing is set in stone, I have no intention of taking any money from anyone until things are finalized a whole lot more than they are now.

tsun: Yes, I'd like a Bitteroot too but the daisies worked for this design. The Bitteroot and Meadowlark will be on one of my upcoming pathtags! *G*