Best Battery life?

ecologito

I am in the process of looking at GPS units for educational purposes. Something for me that is important is battery life. Usually people don't think about it when buying a GPS for personal use.

When using 10 GPS units ofr educational purposes battery life is critical due to cost of new batteries and even the task of recharging 40 AA batteries.

I am looking and the low cost GPS units Garmin Etrex or Magellan Triton 200 and I would like to know which unit will give me the best battery life. I understand that using back lights and other variables are in place, even manufacturers have runing times but I want to know from personal "FIELD" experience what would be a good choice.

Thanks and Happy trails in 2009.

Pepe

Garmin publishes the battery life on all their units and those numbers are very accurate. From my experience, choose a color eTrex for best battery life, not B&W. Expect 30+ hours on quality, Made in Japan, NiMH's.

Whatever you choose, don't get a Magellan, they were close to Chapter 11 before being sold last month.