Travel Bug T-Shirts - 2 bug locations?

bigdogsrule

;) Just got a t-shirt with a travel bug printed on it. I assume the shirt itself is the bug and if people see it they can log it even though it is not in a cache. THus in a sense I am the cache for the shirt.

It came with the usual dog tags, meaning that I could also send out a dog tag bug. So is it "legal" to have a two-for one- bug or should I just keep both pieces of the dog tags, the copy and the original and just use the t-shirt as the bug.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Bigdogsrule (Frances)

You can do whatever you want to do...they're your tags.

Theoretically, you could take the numbers and write/engrave them on hundreds or thousands of ping pong balls and put one in every cache you find...and your email box would fill up with all the logs, however that really isn't the intent of a 'traveler'.

The shirts, and before them the window decals for cars, are relatively new uses for the TB numbers...but they all come from original tags.

Keep the tags in a safe place (around your neck maybe), then if you ever need to get a new shirt (say it gets ripped by a nasty warthog while you are out caching...or it just wears out), you'll have the number available to use.

Theoretically, you could take the numbers and write/engrave them on hundreds or thousands of ping pong balls and put one in every cache you find...

That sounds good in theory. ;)

The truth is a lot simpler. When you purchsase a tracking code from Groundspeak it gives you the right to track one item. If you use the code on more than one item then you run the risk of having that code locked and your Travel Bug page locked, permanently anbd irrevocably.

By all means kep the tags, they are a record of the single tracking code you own. It can be applied to a single item, do not apply the code to hundreds or thousands of ping pong balls, you will get emails but they won't be the type you expect. :D

If you want to be trackable then buy a set of Travel Bug tags, take the number and get a tattoo. Don't do this until you are certain that you are going to continue to geocache.

I think I'm missing something on these shirts, hopefully someone can shed some light on it for me. I'm not one that normally trades travel bugs, so it's not too surprising that there's a feature I might not be aware of.

If I meet you at and Event Cache and see the travel bug number on your shirt, I can see how I can then Discover you from the Event Cache page.

But what if I meet you at McDonalds? If the bug is currently logged into an Event Cache located across town that you went to the previous weekend, is there a way for me to log you at the McDonalds? Would I have to find the nearest cache and log you through it, even though you may have never been there? I'm sure the answer is easy, but never having done it I'm curious.

Thanks to whoever answers.

I think I'm missing something on these shirts, hopefully someone can shed some light on it for me. I'm not one that normally trades travel bugs, so it's not too surprising that there's a feature I might not be aware of.

If I meet you at and Event Cache and see the travel bug number on your shirt, I can see how I can then Discover you from the Event Cache page.

But what if I meet you at McDonalds? If the bug is currently logged into an Event Cache located across town that you went to the previous weekend, is there a way for me to log you at the McDonalds? Would I have to find the nearest cache and log you through it, even though you may have never been there? I'm sure the answer is easy, but never having done it I'm curious.

The Discovery log is not associated with a specific location. It won't matter if you log it while it's in a cache or in a cachers hand or out to an unknown location. It won't ever show where it was when you saw it or logged it.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Then you would be discovering the bug whereever it is "virtually" located. As long as you have the tracking number you can discover- it's not tied to where the bug thinks it is.

Edit: Beaten by the blue dude.

Edited by Castle Mischief

The Discovery log is not associated with a specific location. It won't matter if you log it while it's in a cache or in a cachers hand or out to an unknown location. It won't ever show where it was when you saw it or logged it.

Thanks to both of you.

So the Discovery of a TB tshirt will show as having been Discovered by the Finder on his list of TBs, but the milage to the McDonalds won't be tracked for the tshirt owner. If he never moves it out of whatever cache page it's in, he'll never actually be tracked anywhere?

If he never moves it out of whatever cache page it's in, he'll never actually be tracked anywhere?

ayep. It might not ever go into a cache.

People who own geocoin collections that they like to have "Discovered" often move them into an event cache when they intend to go to that event. The owner's logs do accrue the mileage on the collection. The Travel Bug is one of the two basic gamepieces in this activity.

It is identical to a geocache in the fact that it allows you to connect to another geocacher. Travel Bugs can be a lot of fun for finders and placers. We had a lot of fun with a bug owned by famous Canadian cacher IBCrashen called Klay Henry.

My kids just fell in love with Klay Henry. They went and found an axe for him in their toy box and insisted on creating a miniature burger and fries so that they could photograph him with his favourite meal.

They still remember Klay Henry, geocaching creates memories!

Here is a link to the log for Klay Henry's visit to Medicine Hat.

If he never moves it out of whatever cache page it's in, he'll never actually be tracked anywhere?

ayep. It might not ever go into a cache.

Bingo. Discovery happens independently of retrieve and drop. Retrieve and drop will change the location of the TB (from a cache to "in the hands of X" and vise-versa). Discovery was implemented so that people could claim the icon/find without having to move the bug virtually or physically.

I just got a TB window sticker for X-Mas. Anybody can discover it using the tracking number on the Volvo all day long without it ever being put in or taken out of a cache. The entire TB page could be filled with discover logs and there would be no mileage accrued.

Thanks to both of you.

So the Discovery of a TB tshirt will show as having been Discovered by the Finder on his list of TBs, but the milage to the McDonalds won't be tracked for the tshirt owner. If he never moves it out of whatever cache page it's in, he'll never actually be tracked anywhere?

Since other people can't (or, rather, shouldn't) actually pick up the TB (since it is the person's T-shirt -- unless, of course, he/she leaves it in a cache), no.

However, the owner can drop the TB into a cache (or event) and then retrieve it, thus tracking his or her own "mileage" from cache to cache. That's what I do with my own personal "Jackalgirl" dog tag; it lets me get a sense of how far I've travelled geocaching -- and also serves as a handy caching diary (though it is pretty basic).

Yep I've got a vehicle magnet TB and I put a dog tag on my dog too :P (dogdogtag is the name)

These are discover only, I don't have any traveling TBs yet, just one traveling geocoin but I won't create a discover proxy/copy for the coin as I'd like those who want to discover the real thing to see the real thing.

You can do whatever you want to do...they're your tags.

Theoretically, you could take the numbers and write/engrave them on hundreds or thousands of ping pong balls and put one in every cache you find...and your email box would fill up with all the logs, however that really isn't the intent of a 'traveler'.

The shirts, and before them the window decals for cars, are relatively new uses for the TB numbers...but they all come from original tags.

Keep the tags in a safe place (around your neck maybe), then if you ever need to get a new shirt (say it gets ripped by a nasty warthog while you are out caching...or it just wears out), you'll have the number available to use.

No, you cannot send out thousands of ping pong balls. This will get your TB page locked in a heartbeat. Plese don't give out this kind of advice. One item per tracking number.

The copy tags are for when your T shirt wears out, or gets lost. Because tracking numbers don't wear out.