PN-40 Section and Range lines

True Grid

When you write that "the topo maps don't have these lines" what do you mean? I'm looking at a USGS 24kTOPO (o48122f4) for Wa and they are there. If they are not in the Delorme package, all it would take is their lowest priced XMap software to load GeoTiffs that have them (like the one linked above).

I'm sure that someone that uses that brand will be along shortly to give you more details.

When he says "topo doesn't have it", he's talking about the base Topo USA 7.0 maps and software that come with the unit. As for what the 1:24k USGS Quads you can download have on them, I'm really not sure, I've only downloaded one little section of it so far, and I don't even really know how to read it. Here's a screenshot of what little bit I did download, though, maybe see if what you want is there. I'm guessing it is, since these are scanned maps, should be the same.

DetroitLakeQuad.jpg

When you write that "the topo maps don't have these lines" what do you mean? I'm looking at a USGS 24kTOPO (o48122f4) for Wa and they are there. If they are not in the Delorme package, all it would take is their lowest priced XMap software to load GeoTiffs that have them (like the one linked above).

I'm sure that someone that uses that brand will be along shortly to give you more details.

While it's true that XMap supports GeoTIFF and other raster formats, your best bet for displaying PLSS (twp. rng. & sec. boundaries) on the PN-40 is to import the data in Openspace GIS format. XMap users can download state-by-state PLSS data from here and can copy this data to the device. Because it is in vector format, the PLSS boundaries can be overlaid on any map or aerial image and can be turned on or off as needed.

PN-40 Screenshot:

PLSS_Sample.jpg

Edited by DMcKittrick

When he says "topo doesn't have it", he's talking about the base Topo USA 7.0 maps and software that come with the unit. As for what the 1:24k USGS Quads you can download have on them, I'm really not sure, I've only downloaded one little section of it so far, and I don't even really know how to read it.

If they are on the USGS quad for the area of interest, they will be on it when you download it to Topo USA 7.0; I've downloaded some areas I'm interested in, and viewed the section lines in Topo USA 7.0.

When he says "topo doesn't have it", he's talking about the base Topo USA 7.0 maps and software that come with the unit. As for what the 1:24k USGS Quads you can download have on them, I'm really not sure, I've only downloaded one little section of it so far, and I don't even really know how to read it. Here's a screenshot of what little bit I did download, though, maybe see if what you want is there. I'm guessing it is, since these are scanned maps, should be the same.

DetroitLakeQuad.jpg

All the data in red in your picture is what he's looking for.

Edited by coggins

While it's true that XMap supports GeoTIFF and other raster formats, your best bet for displaying PLSS (twp. rng. & sec. boundaries) on the PN-40 is to import the data in Openspace GIS format. XMap users can download state-by-state PLSS data from here and can copy this data to the device. Because it is in vector format, the PLSS boundaries can be overlaid on any map or aerial image and can be turned on or off as needed.

PLSS_Sample.jpg

I agree that having this in a vector format would be a better solution. I use shapefiles to overlay on Raster levels to have the best of both worlds.