GSAK vs. Easy GPS

Boots...

I recently started using EasyGPS, but a friend has recently offered to pay for my GSAK registration. Question is, what would I get out of GSAK that I can't do with EasyGPS?

I am sure there must be a hundred former threads about this topic, but my search function was freezing up, and I didn't find anything as I was reading through several pages of old threads. If you can point me in the right direction, that would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I recently started using EasyGPS, but a friend has recently offered to pay for my GSAK registration. Question is, what would I get out of GSAK that I can't do with EasyGPS?

I am sure there must be a hundred former threads about this topic, but my search function was freezing up, and I didn't find anything as I was reading through several pages of old threads. If you can point me in the right direction, that would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I have used both and like GSAK much better. It is a built in Google map for a visual on the GCs and has built in features to go paperless using a pda and cachemate.

You can download GSAK and try it!!

Joe sends

Haven't used EasyGPS, and only have used GSAK. There are a ton of macros that I use in GSAK to generate stats, create calendars of caching activities, plot data on Google Maps, filter to your heart's content, etc. I find that I write all my logs in GSAK, then use a macro to log them on the website. Bottom line, it's a very beneficial resource that enhances your caching experience, WELL worth the $25 investment.

It depends on how you intend to use either. GSAK has a lot of features that EasyGPS doesn't offer. It just depends on if you want or need those features. If all you are going to do is use it for downloading waypoints into a GPS then EasyGPS will work fine and you'll never need all the other bells and whistles of GSAK.

I guess the question is, what ARE Those bells and whistles? For example, I understand that there are macros that will put the difficulty and terrain ratings, container size and date of last find, in my "notes" section of the 60csx. That is something that I want.... I dont' think EasyGPS does that (they can put a "smart hint" into the notes section). What other commonly used bells and whistles does GSAK offer that I don't get with Easy?

I guess the question is, what ARE Those bells and whistles? For example, I understand that there are macros that will put the difficulty and terrain ratings, container size and date of last find, in my "notes" section of the 60csx. That is something that I want.... I dont' think EasyGPS does that (they can put a "smart hint" into the notes section). What other commonly used bells and whistles does GSAK offer that I don't get with Easy?

GSAK is a real database (I know, so is EasyGPS). But, the real power in GSAK comes with filters and macros. You can slice and dice your data in ways you can't even begin to imagine. The built in filters are very impressive. Then you can export filtered data to your GPS or to Cachemate or to lots of other things.

Here's a brief tutorial that will show some possibilities:

http://ctcachers.com/wiki/index.php?title=GSAK_to_Cachemate

I would suggest you peruse the GSAK forums for examples of uploaded macros and the descriptions of what they do.

http://gsak.net/board/MacroIndex.php

Basic GSAK instructions 101, 102, 103

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showforum=16

How to automate loading PQs into GSAK. Click on one button and automagically load all your PQ's into GSAK.

http://forums.ctcachers.com/viewtopic.php?t=1428

I can give lots of other links, but these should get you started.

OK, so I decided to quit being such a tightwad and I finally registered my GSAK.

Question now... One of the reasons that I decided to register was because I understand that macro's can help me format my "Note" window for transfer to my Garming 60CSX. What I WANT is a macro that will let me make a macro that will look like this:

[type (trad, multi, etc)]....[Difficulty]..[terrain]..[date of last find].

Though I would love to get a [smarthint] in there, the Note window is limited to 30 characters, so I compromise. Regardless, can anyone tell me how to get a macro that will do that?

Just go to GPS->Send Waypoints (make sure the settings are set correct in GPS->Setup first). Use this string in the Waypoint Description section:

%typ1 %con1 %Dif/%Ter %datelf

You can use this online help file to find all the codes. This is also in the GSAK help file.

I use %smart in the name, and make sure to set the character limit to 14 characters. Note, you can only send 1000 waypoints to your GPS. Thus, if you have more than 1000 in your database, you'll have to set a filter first to shorten that. Note, some of the caches have additional waypoints attached to them, such as parking, etc. These count in the 1000 waypoints that you are allowed.

Here's my procedure when loading my GPS. First, I delete all the waypoints on my GPS (either by resetting on the trip computer screen and deleting all waypoints, or deleting by waypoint symbol if there are some I want to keep). I then set the center point in GSAK where I'll be caching that day. I then set up a radius filter until I get about 775 caches. Depending on the area, this could be 20 miles, 40 miles, or 60 miles, etc. You just have to do a trial and error. Note, I've preset up filters for all these various radius values. In the filter, I make sure I've set the "not found" flag so I don't send caches that I've already found. Then I export the caches to my GPS. Wala, you're ready to go caching.

Edited by vwaldoguy

Thanks a million!! Thats exactly what I was looking for!!!

Ok, so I went through the Macro tutorial which allows me to select the nearest (enter number here) caches and select them in a macro flag. Thats great, but I've already found the nearest hundred (or so) from here, and I don't want to select those. I need to figure out how to filter out the "found" caches with that macro. I could use the macro I have already made, and set it to find the nearest 500 and then sort by found and set user flags for the Unfound, but I am sure the macro could do that easier.

Thanks a million!! Thats exactly what I was looking for!!!

Ok, so I went through the Macro tutorial which allows me to select the nearest (enter number here) caches and select them in a macro flag. Thats great, but I've already found the nearest hundred (or so) from here, and I don't want to select those. I need to figure out how to filter out the "found" caches with that macro. I could use the macro I have already made, and set it to find the nearest 500 and then sort by found and set user flags for the Unfound, but I am sure the macro could do that easier.

You can also name and save filters after you set them up. Reuse them as necessary. It's not always necessary to write a macro - especially for simple tasks.

Get a My Finds PQ and load into GSAK.

The My Finds can only be run once a week, but includes all your finds.

Once loaded into GSAK use a filter to remove Found caches.

I keep my Found caches in a seperate database in GSAK.

I run 9 PQs based on "date placed" to get all of the caches in my state. I then filter as necessary. I do not move my "found" caches to a separate DB because I want the next PQ to append the new logs to those caches. The only macros I use are the POI macro and another one to shorten really long cache names and cache names that are in a series (because they are confusing to read in Cachemate). Filters pretty much take care of everything else for me.

I then use the POI macro and POI loader to put all 3500+ caches and child waypoints in my GPSr and then use another filter and the "export" to send the 1500 closest caches (but not "child waypoints") to Cachemate on my PDA. If I'm going to another part of the state, I just filter and add those local caches to the PDA.

The only caches I move to another DB are caches that have been archived - so it's my reference DB until GC.com decides to add the ability to show archived placements on the maps as promised....

The amazing thing about GSAK is it's flexibility. You use it one way that makes sense to you. I use it a different way that works for me.....

I think the free version of GSAK works for 21 days. Then, the splash screen display for a longer period of time after that. I think the trial period provides a fully functional program. Its $25. Well worth the investment if you're a serious cacher.

Yes. It's fully functional in the "Free" state.

The "Nag screen" appears more and longer after the free session expires -but still works OK.

I paid!

(There's a few UK cachers still using the "Free" version -I think their Scottish... :):rolleyes: )

I think the free version of GSAK works for 21 days. Then, the splash screen display for a longer period of time after that. I think the trial period provides a fully functional program. Its $25. Well worth the investment if you're a serious cacher.

The "Nag screen" appears more and longer after the free session expires -but still works OK.

I paid!

(There's a few UK cachers still using the "Free" version -I think their Scottish... :D:D )

LOL! I quit using mine when the nag screen got to 100 seconds... It was still on my computer though, and when I finally registered it, I clicked on the icon, and it said that I had been using it for 525 days and the nag screen was about 330 seconds... lol! Yeah, I finally decided to pay for it. It's been great so far, but I am just starting with it.

I paid!

(There's a few UK cachers still using the "Free" version -I think their Scottish... :D:D )

LOL! I quit using mine when the nag screen got to 100 seconds... It was still on my computer though, and when I finally registered it, I clicked on the icon, and it said that I had been using it for 525 days and the nag screen was about 330 seconds... lol! Yeah, I finally decided to pay for it. It's been great so far, but I am just starting with it.

I use EasyGPS every time I head out the door to cache. I use GSAK about onece every 3 or 6 months. It's been so long since the last time that I booted it once to see that it was installed. GSAK is a great tool. It just doesn't do simply the simple things I need. The one thing it does do well and for which I havne't used it in a year is to aggregate my logs.

EasyGPS lists D/T ratings and container size. It doesn't do date of last find but does list the last finds with their notes/logs.

Where GSAK shines is with the filters and macros that aren't available for EasyGPS.