60 csx basic caching questions

drbadskwerl

Greetings,

My friend just received a garmin 60csx for christmas. I use a magellan explorist 500 myself and I presume the 60csx must have similar features for caching but I can't seem to find them in the book or on the internet. Specifically I'm wondering:

1) how to you save multiple different caching files on the gps and switch between them (ie - winter friendly caches and then switch to nonwinter friendly caches)? When we upload a new gpx file from easygps to the unit it seems like the new file just adds even MORE caches on without deliniating which caches are from which gpx file.

2) how do you view cache info? specifically the hints, last found, placed dates, and difficulty? is it possible?

Thanks alot!

Well, this question has been asked a lot, so there have to be plenty of hits when using the Search box. But, when sending a GPX file to the 60CSx, it just creates the waypoint, there is no distinction from which file it came. When sending the cache directly to the GPS from the geocaching.com website, you'll only get the cache name and the coordinates. If using a 3rd party program like GSAK, you can customize what gets sent to the GPS. But, note that 60CSx waypoints can only store 14 characters in the name, and 30 characters in the note field. A program like GSAK compresses some of the info to maximize the small space. Or, you can use GSAK, a macro, and the Garmin Point of Interests loader software to create custom Points of Interest, which will contain as many screens as necessary to include all the cache information such as decsription, hint, logs, etc.

Greetings,

My friend just received a garmin 60csx for christmas. I use a magellan explorist 500 myself and I presume the 60csx must have similar features for caching but I can't seem to find them in the book or on the internet. Specifically I'm wondering:

1) how to you save multiple different caching files on the gps and switch between them (ie - winter friendly caches and then switch to nonwinter friendly caches)? When we upload a new gpx file from easygps to the unit it seems like the new file just adds even MORE caches on without deliniating which caches are from which gpx file.

2) how do you view cache info? specifically the hints, last found, placed dates, and difficulty? is it possible?

Thanks alot!

Take a look at this link: "Customizing the 60CSX" that and GSAK can do all you ask and more.