which mobile for geocaching?

I'm trying to find a mobile that will allow me to use Trimble geocache navigator (or similar) and memory map , any ideas?

Is there a windows mobile equivalent of geocache navigator?

thanks guys ;)

The iPhone is without a doubt the best phone for geocaching. The GPS works well and Groundspeak even supports it with a fantastic application. I don't even own a GPS just my phone.

Although I just started Geocaching the other night....I have already done a fair amount of research into Windows Mobile Apps for this purpose. I found a few...but by far the best is GeoScout. It connects right to the geocaching.com website and can download caches, logs, spoilers, and everything available on the website right to your phone. It also directs you to the cache with a compass, and even has a map with it (although admittedly not the best performing maps ever.) Once you find a cache, you can log it right from your phone and upload it to the site. Its wonderful. The only downfall is that it costs 40.00, but its quite worth it.

What I have been doing sofar is using geoscout to find a cache, get its coords, then use TomTom Navigator for Windows Mobile to get driving directions to the cache, if needed. Everything else is handled by GeoScout.

Also worth looking into is BeelineGPS....cost is 30.00 but it also looked nice. The deciding factor for me was GeoScouts ability to interact with the website. With BeelineGPS, I believe its all done by downloading waypoints from the site, then importing them into the application manually.

I am using it on a Sprint HTC Touch Pro.....but it should work fine with a tilt. When setting up GPS....I had to check the option to manually choose my GPS port number. The Autosearch showed it as port 4...but wouldnt let me select it...I had to manually enter it after selecting that option.

Edited by DaPeeps

;) thanks guys, i appreciate the help. Unfortunately as i already have full UK maps on windows mobile i'm reluctant to change. Also trimble geocache navigator is free on a nokia so why pay... and i've been down the route of downloading loc and gpx files to my pc and then transferring them via active sync and i feel this defeats the object of having a stand alone pareless system.

I work away quite a bit and dont want to be lugging my laptop around. I think i will just wait for trimble to write a dedicated windows mobile navigator application, as i use it all the time and love it.

thanks again

I hope this isn't a hijack but...

are they any phone / GPS units that allow you to store maps on the phone so you can navigate without having to be signed up for a data plan or connect to your provider?

GeoBC

Pretty much any mapping GPS receiver does that, but I'm guessing that you want a phone that does that at well. I am no aware of any that phone/gps combo units that will do so but consider that it's likely going to require storing a *lot* of data if it's going to support all the zoom levels that you'll need to navigate.

:rolleyes: thanks guys, i appreciate the help. Unfortunately as i already have full UK maps on windows mobile i'm reluctant to change. Also trimble geocache navigator is free on a nokia so why pay... and i've been down the route of downloading loc and gpx files to my pc and then transferring them via active sync and i feel this defeats the object of having a stand alone pareless system.

I work away quite a bit and dont want to be lugging my laptop around. I think i will just wait for trimble to write a dedicated windows mobile navigator application, as i use it all the time and love it.

thanks again

Geoscout is great! I've been using it for ages after trying loads of options. The earlier poster forgot to mention that you can download on the fly, no laptop needed just a data contract or wifi so if you are mobile alot of the time, open up geoscout click download caches near me in geoscout and off you go. I have friends who use the trimble software and it seems very clunky and featureless in comparison. It's full paperless caching with free maps, compass and tones more, all you need is a windows device with internal or external bluetooth GPS. I also have memory map and use this along side geoscout for those times that the maps aren't quite detailed enough which isn't very often with the UK maps at least. If you have access to a Windows based phone give it a try on 30 trial.

Edited by EvilMonkeys

I hope this isn't a hijack but...

are they any phone / GPS units that allow you to store maps on the phone so you can navigate without having to be signed up for a data plan or connect to your provider?

GeoBC

Pretty much any mapping GPS receiver does that, but I'm guessing that you want a phone that does that at well. I am no aware of any that phone/gps combo units that will do so but consider that it's likely going to require storing a *lot* of data if it's going to support all the zoom levels that you'll need to navigate.

Yeah, I meant I'm wondering which gps-equipped phones can also store map data as it is done in a traditional hand-held GPS unit. As for a "lot" of data, well, it's really just a matter of having a user-provided data card. I've only got a 512MB card in my 60CSx but can store all the city and topo maps for hundreds of miles around me. That's all I really need. I didn't mean to suggest that I needed street level maps for the entire world. I'd just like to be able to carry the maps of the areas I typically visit during the year.

GeoBC