Does anyone use Windows Mobile?

PocketSierra

How many of you use Windows Mobile (aka Pocket PC) for geocaching or would want to use it for geocaching?

I work on mapping software for Windows Mobile. I'm just trying to assess the market size so I can justify what further effort is needed for geoaching features.

Very few posts on this forum mention Windows Mobile. Maybe that's because you've either all figured out geocaching on that platform, or you've moved on to iPhone, G-1, Garmin, or Magellan. I would just like to know which it is.

Thanks

How many of you use Windows Mobile (aka Pocket PC) for geocaching or would want to use it for geocaching?

I work on mapping software for Windows Mobile. I'm just trying to assess the market size so I can justify what further effort is needed for geoaching features.

Very few posts on this forum mention Windows Mobile. Maybe that's because you've either all figured out geocaching on that platform, or you've moved on to iPhone, G-1, Garmin, or Magellan. I would just like to know which it is.

Thanks

Since we don't have our GPS yet, we've been using a Windows Mobile smart phone for geocaching. I mark the location of the cache on Google Maps as a favorite. It hasn't been bad, we're 13 for 15 and I'm pretty sure that the caches we haven't found are due to snow.

We're getting a GPS that supports paperless geocaching, but I'll still use my mobile to get satellite views if I want them.

Thanks.

Thanks

A lot use CacheMate for PPC Windows mobile. I used it for about a year (and still do some) then switched to CacheBerry for Blackberry phones. Figured since I always have the piece of equipment with me anyway; why not loose an extra piece of gear..

I have a Moto Q and can't wait for the contract on it to end so I can replace it with something (anything!) less horrible.

I bought this implementation of the WinMo platform 18 months ago on the premise that the GPS was open (it's not). Almost every application I've installed on this phone has been a disaster in some way - it's conditioned me to treat it effectively like a closed system. Don't Do That.

Given how bad this phone is at being a phone (no non-visual missed messages indicator? WTH? My six year old $20 Virgin phone had that...) I've lowered my expectations of it being a geocaching device to zero.

It's possible that I could be convinced to buy another year or two of a ticket on this platform (if only to avoid AT&T/TMO) but with all the action in the iPhone/Android markets, it'd take some serious persuasion.

We use our Smartphone as a paperless device to access the WAP site, and to view HTML cache pages generated by a PQ, and then ground by Spinner. The HTMLs are stored on the memory card to avoid air-time, and because we're frequently in "Cell-Free America". For geocaching and navigation, we rely on our Map 76CSx.

We have been using my XV6800 (the Verizon version of the Sprint Mogul hacked to run WM6.1 on Verizon) with Geoscout for just over 100 finds we have, so count us in for the WM crowd. Also using TomTom for WM to get us to the cache site.

A great way to do this is to generate a "Today's Hunt" pocket query by bookmarking all the caches you want to find today and e-mail it to your PC, open the file with POIEdit, save the TomTom POI file and e-mail both the gpx and the ov2 to the phone, import the gpx file into Geoscout and place the TomTom file in its folder and you're good to go!

I have been geocaching for about a year and mostly use my handheld GPS but have found myself without the unit and wanted to cache. I recently purchased a Samsung smartphone through AT&T and couldn't find anything from Trimble that appeared to work with my phone. I downloaded the Beeline GPS software that is supposed to work with Windows Mobile 5 or 6 but have not been able to get the software to detect my internal GPS. I have not had time to call or email the company to see if there is something that I am doing wrong as the manual is not a help and I am not a technofile.

I have a PN-40 and a Touch Pro. On the Touch Pro I have Cachemate and GPSBasic, along with the of course Google Maps. The choice between Cachemate & GPSBasic was easy - GPSBasic. I have set it to use the internal aGPS (cell towers) and regular GPS (comm 4, 4800 baud) and both work.

Thanks

I would use something like what's been created for the iPhone in a heart beat. I use Windows Mobile to pull up the Geocaching.com site, but it's sluggish.

Thanks

:( Hi I have just got a sonyerricson Xperia with WM6.1 It will run CacheMate (with a few problems) and GPS works well I can now do all I want with it. But am always on the lookout for new software for my device.

I download the cache information to my PDA - iPAQ using Mobile 5. However, it means taking two devices out and I would much rather not do that. I am looking at upgrading my GPS to something that I can download data to and find out how close I am to the cache. I would not be interested in anything written for Mobile 5.

I used an old Dell Axim for paperless. It crapped out. I was in the market for a new phone/PDA thingy so looked at the Blackberry. After reading some reviews, decided on the BB for a phone using Cacheberry. I don't use the GPS on the phone for GC'ing. Instead I use my trust 60CSx and use Cacheberry on the BB for the paperless stuff.

It's been a joy ever since. I always have the 'Berry with me and Cacheberry integrates with GSAK.

Just my experience and my needs as user. Your needs may vary.

Thanks

I use a Motorola Q9 Global with AT&T and Windows Mobile 5. However, I don't use the GPS option. I refuse to pay the extra fee. I use Cachemate on it for paperless caching and my Garmin 60CSx, or Quest 2 to find the cache. I also use GSAK.

So far I have been mostly frustrated with WM5. It is not easy to get around in, I have to manually stop all applications, and it is sometimes just plain aggrivating.

Edited by Dooley the Clown and Joy

Thanks

I use Pocket PC with Cachemate on an hp pocket pc for paperless caching. The Pocket PC version of Cachemate has more capability than the Palm version, which I used prior to inheriting the pocket pc from my son when he got his Blackberry.

I'd like to replace the pocket pc with an iPod touch with the Groundspeak geocaching app. I'm trying to find out if I can receive pocket queries via email on the Touch and import them into the geocaching app. If anyone has the answer, please let me know via a message to "CeltsFans".

Thanks

I use Pocket PC with Cachemate on an hp pocket pc for paperless caching. The Pocket PC version of Cachemate has more capability than the Palm version, which I used prior to inheriting the pocket pc from my son when he got his Blackberry.

I'd like to replace the pocket pc with an iPod touch with the Groundspeak geocaching app. I'm trying to find out if I can receive pocket queries via email on the Touch and import them into the geocaching app. If anyone has the answer, please let me know via a message to "CeltsFans".

I load PQs to my Touch Pro via email without a problem. I routinely download them to the card and save them in the card root folder. After the save, I then move them to a folder specifically for PQ files.