iPhone GPS with no cell service

Zor

This sort of came up in another thread so I thought I would pose the question to readers here.

Has anyone here been able to use the iPhone GPS / Geocaching Application on the iPhone in an area where there is no cell service?

My understanding is that the GPS is supposed to be GPS plus cell/wifi connections to help you. If that is actually the case then you should be able to get a location lock in an area where there is no cell service. You wouldn't be able to bring up a map, but it should still be able to figure out where you are.

That having been said, if you have the geocaching application, the "arrow" should still work since it doesn't need to display a map, just point you in a direction.

Has anyone here tried the GPS without cell service?

This sort of came up in another thread so I thought I would pose the question to readers here.

Has anyone here been able to use the iPhone GPS / Geocaching Application on the iPhone in an area where there is no cell service?

My understanding is that the GPS is supposed to be GPS plus cell/wifi connections to help you. If that is actually the case then you should be able to get a location lock in an area where there is no cell service. You wouldn't be able to bring up a map, but it should still be able to figure out where you are.

That having been said, if you have the geocaching application, the "arrow" should still work since it doesn't need to display a map, just point you in a direction.

Has anyone here tried the GPS without cell service?

I have a 3G iPhone.

I have not used the iPhone to geocache.

However I have used the GPS when there is no cell service.

To answer your question: Yes, the GPS portion of the 3G iPhone works independently of cell phone connectivity.

Edited by Barrikady

The GPS will work without cell service. Google Maps will NOT work without a data connection.

There is a mapping package that will work without a data connection...

http://www.xroadgps.com/Maps/GMapforiPhone...63/Default.aspx

...by loading about a gig of map data directly on your iPhone. Unfortunately, it does not have complete coverage of the USA yet, and the App Store reviews have not been stellar. Could be a good start though.

I was given a 3G iPhone for Christmas - my first GPS of any sort so I have nothing to compare it to, but I am having no luck at all using it for geocaching outside of cell service range. I've read that the GPS will work sans cell service, but all I have been able to get thus far is the little blue locater dot--it won't give me the coords of that blue dot (my current location), and I can't mark the cache spot without cell service. If I could just get it to give me my current coords when I'm out of cell service, that would be really helpful (I'll have the cache coords written down and with me, so I'll be able to figure out, roughly, which way to walk), but apparently I'm going to have to get an app of some sort in order to accomplish this--an app that will work without cell service. I haven't figured out which one yet.

The iPhone works great for caching in town. Out of town it sucks, so far.