GPS Windshield mount will be legal in California on January 1

geospyder

Might be old news to some but it was new news to me. Currently you cannot have anything mounted to your windshield in California. As of January 1st, Senate Bill 1567, the GPS Windshield Safety Act, makes it legal to have a GPS mounted on your windshield. BUT, not just anyplace - A portable GPS will only be allowed in a 5-inch square area in the lower corner of the windshield on the driver's side or in a 7-inch square space in the lower windshield corner on the passenger's side.

I knew you couldn't mount anything to windshields in CA (and WA too, I think). But the lower 5" square.... I can't think of a single current suction-cup style windshield mount that can be attached in that location and still be useable. Most modern windshields slope too steeply.

I knew you couldn't mount anything to windshields in CA (and WA too, I think). But the lower 5" square.... I can't think of a single current suction-cup style windshield mount that can be attached in that location and still be useable. Most modern windshields slope too steeply.

I have not had much trouble with the Garmin mount in various vehicles, it can extend away from the surface some. The lower corners are my preferences for mounting the GPS to the windshield.

I knew you couldn't mount anything to windshields in CA (and WA too, I think).

I may have received bad information, but I was told it is legal here in WA. However, anything mounted on the dash or windshield may not obstruct your view of the road.

I have a suction cup type mount and use it in all three of my vehicles. (Honda CRV, 91 Ford F150 pick up, and a class C motor home.) In each case it is easy to mount it in such a way that the only view blocked is a part of the hood.

I knew you couldn't mount anything to windshields in CA (and WA too, I think).

I may have received bad information, but I was told it is legal here in WA. However, anything mounted on the dash or windshield may not obstruct your view of the road.

I have a suction cup type mount and use it in all three of my vehicles. (Honda CRV, 91 Ford F150 pick up, and a class C motor home.) In each case it is easy to mount it in such a way that the only view blocked is a part of the hood.

Your information was good for Washington:

RCW 46.37.410

Windshields required, exception — Must be unobstructed and equipped with wipers.

(2) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sign, poster, or other nontransparent material upon the front windshield, side wings, or side or rear windows of such vehicle which obstructs the driver's clear view of the highway or any intersecting highway.