How to identify an unlogged TB found in cache

bneiman

Took a TB from a cache today, only to find that there was no TB logged as present in the cache. I'd like to log it and move it along, but I don't know how to identify it. I've got the engraved number from the tag, of course, but I don't have the reference number, and you apparently can't search by the engraved number. The hitchhiker is a small replica of the Eiffel Tower, so I did a keyword search within trackables on geocaching.com, but I couldn't correlate it with any of the 54 items turned up by the search. How do I figure out what bug this is?

I'll wait a decent period to see if anyone logs it in to the cache where I found it, but if no one does I won't know whom to nudge or from whom to grab it.

Bill

Took a TB from a cache today, only to find that there was no TB logged as present in the cache. I'd like to log it and move it along, but I don't know how to identify it. I've got the engraved number from the tag, of course, but I don't have the reference number, and you apparently can't search by the engraved number. The hitchhiker is a small replica of the Eiffel Tower, so I did a keyword search within trackables on geocaching.com, but I couldn't correlate it with any of the 54 items turned up by the search. How do I figure out what bug this is?

I'll wait a decent period to see if anyone logs it in to the cache where I found it, but if no one does I won't know whom to nudge or from whom to grab it.

Bill

I would give it a couple of days before trying again to see if someone just hasn't "dropped" it in yet. But, you can search by the engraved number on the tag if its a GC number. Be sure you get the O/0, 8/B, I/1's correct when you type them in. Also be sure it is a GC travel bug, there are a couple of other tracking sites out there. You may also consider that it may be an unactivated traveler, placed either in error or as swag.

Edited by O-Mega

I´ll second that, u can search by the engraved number, if u get the characters right.... When u find it then look when the last log has been made and by whom... If the last finder already logged the cache, then u can grab it from him, but be sure to drop it into the cache u found it in first... that way the milage is still correct...