How many tries before asking for help?

Coyote's Girl

I was wondering what the average was for strike-outs before asking for help. I'm pretty persistant about doing thigs myself and I've been pretty lucky so far. There's a couple caches nearby that are proving difficult. One of them seems relatively easy when concidering the posts, the other seems particularly difficult. Since #1 son is with his Nana tomorrow, I was gonna make a run at them since they're along a bike path and I can sling the bitty one. It'll be third strike on both if I miss them again. The easy one's a 1 1/2 difficulty, the hard one's a 3. How many times do you try before asking for a bone?

Hey, they all seems easier after you've found them!

Seriously, the first few dozen are the hardest and then you've seen enough that you know better where to look. I usually don't ask for a hint, I just keep looking whenever the mood strikes.

But when I was new, I was more willing to ask for hints and pointers. I figured I was learning how to find caches and like anything else, a little guidance now and then is a good thing when you are learning something new. I left a DNF every time I gave it a good look and I made sure to read ALL the old logs and the hints. If I didn't find a cache with a difficulty less than a 2 after four or five tries, I would email the cache owner tell them where I had looked and ask for a gentle nudge in the right direction.

A 3 difficulty ought to be pretty challenging to find --for anyone--I would still expect to spend some time looking for it and I wouldn't dream of asking for a hint on a 3.

But all of that is just me.

First, are you logging your DNFs? Many owners will offer assistance without your asking if they see you log a couple of DNFs.

If you aren't logging DNFs they won't even know you've been searching.

As far as when (or if) to ask, that's up to you. Some owners will gladly help and many more will refuse to.

Personally I don't ask because I want to find the cache on my own and I think getting help cheapens the experience. If I can't find it after a few attempts I leave it as a DNF and move on. There are plenty of other caches out there.

Edited by briansnat

I was wondering what the average was for strike-outs before asking for help. I'm pretty persistant about doing thigs myself and I've been pretty lucky so far. There's a couple caches nearby that are proving difficult. One of them seems relatively easy when concidering the posts, the other seems particularly difficult. Since #1 son is with his Nana tomorrow, I was gonna make a run at them since they're along a bike path and I can sling the bitty one. It'll be third strike on both if I miss them again. The easy one's a 1 1/2 difficulty, the hard one's a 3. How many times do you try before asking for a bone?

I've asked for help once. The cache was listed as a 1/1, but even the logs for the cache said that couldn't be right and with the amount of DNF's logged and since I had searched 2 other times I asked the owner for a hint after logging my 3rd "No Joy On This one" log/DNF.

Never got a reply so I added it to my ignore list and moved on.

That was the only time I've asked for help. I'm more like briansnat; I would rather find it myself.

I am new have had a few I could not find, yet. The only one I asked the owner about is one that I thought I found, but when I read older logs before logging it, I noticed that some had mentioned also finding a letterbox cache while looking for it. So I just logged a note that I may have signed the wrong log.

I just asked the owner if it was under a bridge, and if not I would look again. He said it is not under the bridge, keep looking. My track log indicated that I had walked right over it, so I returned the following day in rubber boots when the rain let up, and found it. Edited my log to found, mentioning that if anyone finds a white container, that is not it.