Drilling/Tagging "Suncatcher" coins

ChadsClan

The post was supposed to say something like this:

I've got a couple suncatcher type coins I'd like to tag and release. But can these types of coins be drilled? Even around the edge I'm afraid it might break the 'ring' that supports the suncatcher part in the middle and damage the whole thing.

Any advice? :lol:

Thanks!

And sorry for the weird hiccups

I don't think I'd drill a suncatcher. They are 3 pieces and on top of that, the enamel in the suncatcher part could possibly pop out from the vibrations.

If you were going to do it, do it as close to the edge as possible, to avoid disrupting the retaining ring.

Good luck. I love suncatchers, having designed 3 of them, but could never let them travel, hehehe, they are my beauties and I keep them to admire them and show off at events!

Naomi :lol:

Another option would be to get a ring that converts your coin into a keychain, and take off the keychain part.

If you Google "'coin holder' keychain", you should find it (that is, put "coin holder" in quotes so that it is a phrase). I see that myGeocoin.de has some, for example.

You could add some superglue to the inside of the ring to keep it from going anywhere, or you might be able to solder it. However, given that the coin is probably plated in one material and the key holder in another, I'd definitely consult with a jeweler (or have the jeweler do it).

Instead of drilling, try attaching a small masterlock made for luggage. It's small, near bullet-proof and can't be removed without wrecking the coin so it should offer good protection against thievery. :laughing:

Do you have a picture of this?

I don't have a pic of the Suncatcher with the lock, but here's another coin with the lock. You can buy them in multi-packs and save a few dollars. I chose them because they're made of brass and won't rust and also because the very small diameter of the actual locking ring (about an 1/8").

travelerunderlocknkey.jpg

Instead of drilling, try attaching a small masterlock made for luggage. It's small, near bullet-proof and can't be removed without wrecking the coin so it should offer good protection against thievery. :laughing:

I don't have a pic of the Suncatcher with the lock, but here's another coin with the lock. You can buy them in multi-packs and save a few dollars. I chose them because they're made of brass and won't rust and also because the very small diameter of the actual locking ring (about an 1/8").

OK - i thought you ment something else - you still have to drill the coin to attach the lock...

OK - i thought you ment something else - you still have to drill the coin to attach the lock...

No, sorry, my point is that by using this lock with it's tiny diameter ring, you could slip the locking ring through the diecut areas of the dreamcatcher and avoid having to drill it.

Yes, Mousekakat is correct. It's not a dreamcatcher w/ the cutouts already there. It's a suncatcher which is one of the epoxy filled stained glass looking types. So I think that drilling the hole would damage it, but I want to know if anyone out there has ever tried it and found out for sure.

Thanks again!

you may look into wire wrapping the coin then you can attach anything,, i forget but someone here does that,, i remember seeing a pic of sweetlifes coin wire wrapped somewhere, not long ago,, you could lock the coin into the wire wrapping with glue or mabie adding another wire from the parts that hold the coin in the wire wrappin so it cannot be pulled out,, beats drilling,, gonna try a wire wrap my self here soon . ;)