Caches, Graveyards and Memorials

BigOpe

I got into an EMail head-to-head recently about a cache that creeped me out because it was located at a memorial site -- not NEAR a memorial site, actually ON the site. Today I attempted two more and had the same reaction. What does the cacher population at large think about this subject? I at least would feel much more comfortable with a cache that is NEAR a memorial, gravesite, or whatever, with a description that says "after you've found it, take a moment to visit the nearby xxxxxx and spend a quiet moment of contemplation." I just can't deal with the idea of searching through the bushes, under the benches, or whatever, directly at the site.

You said right on the memorial and then you said on the bench or in the bushes near...which is it? Near isn't a problem for me, right on might be a different thing, but would depend on the situation! I have plans to hide a cache ON the grave of my recently lost friend who was also my caching partner. I have full permission from the family and this was something that Tod would have wanted (we did talk about this between us before)!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

I got into an EMail head-to-head recently about a cache that creeped me out because it was located at a memorial site -- not NEAR a memorial site, actually ON the site. Today I attempted two more and had the same reaction. What does the cacher population at large think about this subject? I at least would feel much more comfortable with a cache that is NEAR a memorial, gravesite, or whatever, with a description that says "after you've found it, take a moment to visit the nearby xxxxxx and spend a quiet moment of contemplation." I just can't deal with the idea of searching through the bushes, under the benches, or whatever, directly at the site.

I think if it creeps you out, or you're not comfortable, you should not look for those. I'm guessing the cache owner was not thinking of your comfort level when he placed the cache.

You said right on the memorial and then you said on the bench or in the bushes near...which is it? Near isn't a problem for me, right on might be a different thing, but would depend on the situation! I have plans to hide a cache ON the grave of my recently lost friend who was also my caching partner. I have full permission from the family and this was something that Tod would have wanted (we did talk about this between us before)!

They said memorial site. Which I take to mean the memorial itself and anything around the memorial that would been to be a part of the memorial grounds.

This wouldn't freak me out too much... I would actually considering putting one near a bench that is very close to some of my relative's graves (long dead).

I didn't even think that it would be disrespectful at all, but now that I think about it I wouldn't put it near like, a military memorial or some one else's area of a cemetary.

I like to think that if my dead relatives just chill around the graveyard (which i hope they don't) they'd probably enjoy the company of cachers

I like 'em and have no problem at all with them. I actually like those types because you get to see a lot of interesting markers and such.

Takes a little more than this to creep me out.

They said memorial site. Which I take to mean the memorial itself and anything around the memorial that would been to be a part of the memorial grounds.

That could cover quite a bit of property!

That could cover quite a bit of property!

That it could. While I find it great that someone is willing to face a fear I gotta ask, BigOpe, why are you complaining about it?

Caches in cemeteries don't bother us in the least. We have yet to find one that was actually ON a grave marker. Generally they are in a tree or shrub in the cemetery, or on the fence or wall surrounding the site. Sometimes they are just at the edge, hidden under the typical pile of sticks or rocks. Occasionally one has to use dates or names from various headstones to find the final cache. We have never encountered a cache in a cemetery that seemed irreverent or disrespectful. If you do encounter one, you should report it to your local reviewer (pictures of the placement would help) and let him/her contact the owner for more information (or archive it, if it is blatantly egregious).

Overall, we love cemetery caches...they provide some of the best photo ops!

7c359f41-326c-40a6-a568-84140b929ca0.jpg

Actually, when we find caches in cemeteries, we generally end up doing gravesite maintenance! We have removed litter that was caught in the shrubbery, watered plants, deadheaded flowers, stood veterans' flags upright, removed turf encoaching on flat headstones, and scraped bird poop off monuments. Hopefully, someone would do the same for us one day after we're gone.

I got into an EMail head-to-head recently about a cache that creeped me out because it was located at a memorial site -- not NEAR a memorial site, actually ON the site....

It depends on what you mean by memorial.

I've driven on memorial roads, climbed memorial trees, sat on memorial benches that were place in memorial parks with memorial walkways, while the roads are lined with memorial crosses, and the sidewalks here and there have informal memorials that crop up.

If you mean the headstone itself, that's a bit much for a cache unless the headstone was designed by a cacher to hid the cache they wanted there. Then that may still be a bit much for some cachers to enjoy but it's certainly not a breech of the intent of the dead cacher.

Is it worth noting that a cache is far more respectful than a pidgeon? Or is that a non distinction?

Edited by Renegade Knight

The graveyard caches I've placed have all been in the brush near to the actual graves, but if you have the family's permission it wouldn't bother me a bit. No more than if I was there to take rubbings from the tombstone or marker or pictures.

I keep my own graveyard caches away from the plots because I don't the average funeral goer to find the cache. Usually I place them beyond the big pile of rotting flowers (that I find more offensive than the idea of tupperware/ammo can in the bushes).

Edited by Castle Mischief

I love cemetery caches...I do not mind them being close to the graves or markers... But

prefer placement to not be to much on the "belly crawl through the bushes type" due to

being respectfull... I think that as a cacher I might plan to have a cache in my monument

when Im gone that way I can keep caching after Im gone...and give others a interesting find! :laughing:

We don't have a problem with them at all. Graveyards and memorials have a common function and that is to draw visitors to see and remember. Graveyard and Memorial caches do just that. I've visited more memorial sites and learned more about the people in our past in the last 2 years than in the entire 33 previous years. I wouldn't want to see a cache directly on a marker, but very much approve of memorial cache sites. ;)

I had this come up a few weeks ago. The description of the cache mentioned absolutely nothing about the fact that the cache was basically hidden behind the gravestone of a 12 year old girl. This grave was obviously visited regularly and there were lots of flowers and stuffed toys and the like. We stopped our search early and didn't find the cache.

I felt really uncomfortable, as if I might intrude on someone's grief. I was surprised at my reaction - I grew up next to a very old graveyard and am usually very comfortable in those sorts of places.

I think if the cache description had mentioned where it was and why, then I could at least have made a more informed decision. As it was, I felt blindsided. If the cache was celebrating someone's life then I think I could feel free to look for that cache and not feel like I was doing something innappropriate.

A cache hide should not disrupt any grounds, regardless of where it is. If it's hidden near a headstone, it should be done to not disturb or destroy the area. If it's hidden in a lamppost, it should be done to not disturb or destroy the lamppost. This responsibility falls equally on the hider and the seeker to insure that no disturbance ever happens as a result of playing the game.

If the cache is placed within the guidelines, which includes having proper permission and be placed in a way that does no disturbance to the area, then there is nothing inherently wrong. If there is nothing inherently wrong, it is merely the individual caching preferences of the player, which are neither right nor wrong.

Since preferences cannot be debated, I hope you can at least realise that you have control in how you play and no one is forcing you to seek hides that you are uncomfortable with.

Edited by Redneck Parrotheads

What does the cacher population at large think about this subject?

I think grave yard caches are just fine. Have concidered setting up some near our home. Taking the time to get permission is the only hold up. I have found several grave yard caches out of my aria. Some in private family cemetaries. I have no problem with going to grave yards. It was great to see the marker of the fellow that survived the Mexican-American war that one time. A cache plus history, what could be better?

The ones we have found have been in a bush or under the "unnatural pile of sticks". No disrespect there. Nope not creepy at all. I think just avoiding muggles would keep cachers way from any mourners. As long as you are not hunting at night I do not see a problem. Do not want local Johnny Law to think we are vandals.

They are public arias usually so we should be welcome.

I think that they are tacky at best, and disrespectful, and should be banned.

Yikes. I don't know about "banned". It is your personal taste. I would not mind going for these caches because I am respectful of the site. And personally death does not creep me out. Other forum posts suggest understanding where the cache is and if that makes you uncomfortable then skip it and go on.

Here in the Bay Area (SF) we have a cache in a park where lots of homeless people hang out. At first I was upset at this cache. Why would the owner place it here? I would not take my kids here...Darn him! Hobos and Hippies everywhere yuk. But then I realized that the problem was mine. I had a hard time with the people in the park. They are PEOPLE for crying out loud. Not crazy freaks. And they would probly not even realize I was there.

Same goes for a memorial site. If it creeps you out....don't go. If you can be respectful and find the peace and solitude of a place then go for it. These are not necessarily places to fear. We should respect them. We are all gonna die after all and we might just end up in one. I would love for my family to make a cache out of my final resting spot. That would be a cool gift to people. You could at least put the coordinates on my tombstone!!!

Thanks.

Edited by kayamycat

There was nowhere near enough information supplied about the cache in question to make a judgement. We don't even know what type of memorial! What if the memorial in question was the site of Dave Ulmer's first cache? Of course, I'm sure it wasn't, but my point is that there is a huge difference between placing a cache there and, say, placing a cache at the 9-11 Ground-Zero site (to use two extremes).

I think that they are tacky at best, and disrespectful, and should be banned.

Hmmm...let's not use the B-word! Harry, over the past several years you have mentioned numerous times that you do not like and will not seek caches in cemeteries. Obviously your feelings on this matter are carved in stone (pun intended). However, I think the intensity of your negativity has caused your personal bias to interfere with common sense. Surely you cannot point to a real, concrete reason why geocachers, as well as dog walkers, historians, photographers, picnickers, entomologists, bird watchers, genealogists, recluses, poets, etc. should not utilize cemetery grounds, unless your primary concern is the fact that in the case of geocachers, a container is left behind. Have you visited a cemetery lately? I don't know the custom in your neck of the woods, but here, some people will leave all manner of things on the graves of their dearly departed, including mylar happy birthday balloons, bottles of whisky, teddy bears (which soon become wet and moldy), sports equipment, spinning pinwheels, decorated Christmas trees, and the like. Personally, I find those things are more distasteful, distracting, and disrespectful in the overall scheme of things than a bison tube hanging on a small hook out of sight behind a tree at the very edge of a cemetery. I guess what I'm asking is this: are you opposed to ALL non-regulation uses (i.e. anything other than mourning) of cemeteries, or just to geocaching in cemeteries? If it's the former, then you are certainly entitled to your opinion. If it's the latter, then why single out geocaching?

I don't know the custom in your neck of the woods, but here, some people will leave all manner of things on the graves of their dearly departed, including mylar happy birthday balloons, bottles of whisky, teddy bears (which soon become wet and moldy), sports equipment, spinning pinwheels, decorated Christmas trees, and the like.

Sort of like this?

5716899b-0345-4f10-9642-6e669a4190aa.jpg

And the family and friends of these folks think it's just swell that folks leave trinkets like these on this grave. In fact, they stop by once in a while to freshen things up themselves. (News story on the Graves of the King and Queen of the Gypsies).

We visited one cemetery in Indiana that totally amazed me, and I've been in a lot of cemeteries for genealogy research, college statistics work, and geocaching...

It was a medium sized cemetery in a small town. Every grave was immaculately well kept. Every stone was legible. Some showed obvious signs of being older stones that had recently re-carved to keep the information clear and easy to read.

And nearly every single one had personalized accouterments (extras accessories)--and I'm not talking cheap stuff, either. There were Lionel train sets, model airplanes, artist made statues, beautiful hand-blown glass ornaments, lovely wind chimes, framed photos of families and friends, carved "hand written letters" made of stone tablets, porcelain dolls. It seemed like every grave had things that reflected that person's hobbies, interests, and personality when they were alive. There were box kites and tinkertoys on the grave of a young boy, a weaving loom and some Barbie dolls on that of a young girl. One grave had a collection of marble angels, another had garden gnomes and a gardener's wheelbarrow filled with tools and (painted concrete and silk) flowers in pots that looked as though someone had just set down the trowel for a moment to go in and answer a telephone in the midst of getting ready to plant some flowers. Everything was fresh and new and clean looking, too. Every grave had at least silk flowers or a small flag.

I wandered through that cemetery in utter amazement, stunned. There wasn't another person besides us in the place, but it was obvious that people visited there often. I felt as though I was meeting some of the people buried there, and getting glimpses of their lives. It was wistful and sad but also joyous and sweet. I wish I had taken photos of that cemetery. I wish every cemetery could be that well-tended.

I resisted the temptation to engage in hour-to-hour back and forth, as I asked the question to hear other viewpoints. Thanks to all who contributed thoughtful observations both pro and con, and to those few whose thing is sarcasm and condescension, Happy New Year anyway.

There's another graveyard cache in our area that I'm just fine with, a multi-cache that takes one past the tombstones of a number of early settlers, telling their story along the way, and ultimately to the cache at a point not directly at any grave. And, as I tried to say initially, I'm okay with a cache that says "After signing the log, step across the street and check out the xxxxxx memorial." Just can't get comfortable with looking around behind the plaque, or under the bench next to the angel statue, or whatever. That's just me, and as some pointed out, I'm free to avoid those; I just need to read the descriptions before downloading, which I often have not done!

Happy caching 2009 to all. Just passed 250, thinking now of putting out a few caches myself to repay others for the fun they've given me.

I resisted the temptation to engage in hour-to-hour back and forth, as I asked the question to hear other viewpoints. Thanks to all who contributed thoughtful observations both pro and con, and to those few whose thing is sarcasm and condescension, Happy New Year anyway.

There's another graveyard cache in our area that I'm just fine with, a multi-cache that takes one past the tombstones of a number of early settlers, telling their story along the way, and ultimately to the cache at a point not directly at any grave. And, as I tried to say initially, I'm okay with a cache that says "After signing the log, step across the street and check out the xxxxxx memorial." Just can't get comfortable with looking around behind the plaque, or under the bench next to the angel statue, or whatever. That's just me, and as some pointed out, I'm free to avoid those; I just need to read the descriptions before downloading, which I often have not done!

Happy caching 2009 to all. Just passed 250, thinking now of putting out a few caches myself to repay others for the fun they've given me.

Gotta love those OPs who start a thread and then lurk. Let's me know I can ignore their posts in the future!

Gotta love those OPs who start a thread and then lurk. Let's me know I can ignore their posts in the future!

Not meaning to delve too far off the topic, but there is a wisdom in this. The OP did not disappear, as would be the trademark of a troll. The OP made the decision not to engage certain commentors in dialogue which could have potentially lead the topic down an unpleasant and unnecessary tone. I've ignored similiar for similiar reasons and have engaged others with those expected unpleasant results. When the OP refrained from involvement the dialogue was allowed to progress in a freer form with more people giving comments that addressed the post, as opposed to particulars of any comment that the OP posted. This gave the OP more information that they were looking for. I believe the OP stated all of this aptly in their comment. I'm just meaning to compliment them on their discretion.

Not meaning to delve too far off the topic, but there is a wisdom in this. The OP did not disappear, as would be the trademark of a troll. The OP made the decision not to engage certain commentors in dialogue which could have potentially lead the topic down an unpleasant and unnecessary tone. I've ignored similiar for similiar reasons and have engaged others with those expected unpleasant results. When the OP refrained from involvement the dialogue was allowed to progress in a freer form with more people giving comments that addressed the post, as opposed to particulars of any comment that the OP posted. This gave the OP more information that they were looking for. I believe the OP stated all of this aptly in their comment. I'm just meaning to compliment them on their discretion.

Yeah, or the OP just sat back and left us to figure out just what the question was. I asked a question and would have liked an answer so I knew more of what the OP was asking. Next time, I'll simply ignore this OP as I don't feel the need to waste my time if they can't have the courtesy to come back and answer simple questions!

Yeah, or the OP just sat back and left us to figure out just what the question was. I asked a question and would have liked an answer so I knew more of what the OP was asking. Next time, I'll simply ignore this OP as I don't feel the need to waste my time if they can't have the courtesy to come back and answer simple questions!

I did not have a problem understanding what the question was so I don't share your frustration, but I can understand that you feel ignored for something that ought to be resolved simply.

I agree that graveyards are meant to be visited. I've been to a few while researching genealogy and to one so far for this hobby. Some of the larger ones even have regularly guided scheduled tours and handouts with directions to graves of famous people or the most artistic sites. I've also seen cemetery websites which list the types of birds in the area for birdwatchers. I wouldn't think you'd want to place a cache right on someone's gravesite or in the flower pots unless it was okay with the family. Besides, don't the flowers and things get cleaned out every once in awhile? The cache would get thrown away.

We personally like the graveyard caches and haven't run into any that I would consider "in poor taste." All the caches we have found in graveyards were on fences, in/on/around trees, in the forest behind said graveyard, etc. Living in Texas there is an untold number of graveyards to explore, some no bigger than a residential lot. We use the time to teach the kids what is proper etiquette when visiting a cemetary. We have also found cemetarys to be of educational value for the kids...like the time we were looking at a family plot from the late 1800's and the kids asked why are there so many graves for babies. Had to explain to them that there used to be a time that many babies/children didn't live very long becasue of diseases (measles, small pox, etc) that they no longer have to worry about. Of course we make a point to not be disruptive and/or intrusive if there are others present.

Another reason I like graveyard caches;

For people like my other brother, who doesn't cache a whole lot, or my boyfriend, there's no REASON to go to a cache spot. A graveyard is a nice excuse. If I said park, they'd be like booooring and if I said trail they'd fall on the floor asleep but if I'm like, "It's in a grave yard oooOOOoo" then they can at least get mildly interested.