Hike of the Month 2009

TotemLake

It was a great hike. Did I mention its dark at 7AM there? We took our time going up the ravine which gave us a great opportunity to observe the cliffs and the waterfall. We managed the ravine in about an hour and the rest of the hike became relatively easy after that. We saw hints of snow up to the Hiker's Choice new location and it was wasn't really on the ground until we were approaching the clearing. After that, it was a hardpack snow most of the way to M10B's cache. The clearing was the only place we actually contemplated putting on the snowshoes, but it was a short enough stomp through that it would have been more hassle than it was worth, and we followed our footsteps back out making it much easier. We were back at the cars by 3:30 and heading for Greenwater Tavern for burgers and drinks. It was a great day and I'm glad LandRover was there to share it before he goes under the knife this week.

Group shot.

6cc8ab54-913e-4646-b1ea-8aae481cf2b9.jpg

I'm thinking about putting together an introductory snowshoe hike for a geocache hunt. Although not limited to beginners only; Beginners will have a chance to experience snowshoeing as a sport and will be able to pick up tips and tricks and learn some of the pitfalls to watch for.

If there is an interest, I'll look over the area and see what we can come up with and give plenty of notice so folks have a chance to rent their equipment.

Is there an interest?

(This is not a Plan B for this month's HOTM.)

Due to the serious lack of snow on the past hike, I'm really itching to get out on a snowshoe hike.

I'm looking at a couple of easy to get to cache locations, but I don't want to waste them if there isn't a bigger interest on Snowshoe 101. I'll target for after Xmas to give Santa a chance to get those snowshoes out if there is an interest in 101.

Otherwise I'll start expanding the possible locations for a good snowshoe hike. I'll probably target the 19th or 20th for this one.

If this is Snowshoe 101 I'm definitely interested :blink:

Edit: oops - I didn't read your post correctly the first time. Will this snowshoe hike be OK for beginners or is it just for the pros?

Due to the lack of interest posted on the 101, I decided upon a moderate to a perceived difficult hike partly due to the distance involved and partly due to a bushwhack. If you're in good enough shape, learning to walk in snowshoes is pretty basic

Now, if there is an interest for a beginner snowshoe hike, I sure would like to hear it. I heard from one near the north border and one whom I know has plenty of experience :laughing: and now you.

Is there anybody else? I'm just out to have fun but I do remember my beginnings. :blink: These kinds of hikes won't get planned unless there is an expressed interest.

Looking at the 19th for this cache. I expect to see enough snow this time. Start time will be 8AM. Parking will be at the location of this cache.

Well lookie here, out of school,new snowshoes and a HOTM in the snow..... I'm in! :D

Ok a bit slow here, Dec or JAN

DEC the 19th. I know it's short notice, but I'm running into scheduling conflicts between events and other hikes. I was also waiting to the last possible momenht at an attempt to give the beginner snowshoers a chance to voice up.

As for the 101; How about I throw out there it's also a chance to get in on a HOTM? I'll be happy to do a 2 fer HOTM in one month if that'll entice ya out.

Edited by TotemLake

On a side note, I'm still interested in putting out a Snowshoe 101. I'm Planning for the end of the month/beginning of next month.

I've thrown out one incentive by setting up as an HOTM. I'll toss out one more....

Just what is really in my 35 lb backpack? Come on. I know you're curious. Make me show you.

We'll also plan on a potluck soup day (idea gratis Prying Pandora). Everybody brings one can of their favortie soup. It cannot be cream or milk based. It'll be a hogdepodge.

Now what more could a budding snowshoer want? Hot water for coffee and cocoa? You got it! I'll even bring the marshmallows.

I need to have a show of hands so I know where to plan the snowshoe hike! (Tee I see your hand waving!)

On a side note, I'm still interested in putting out a Snowshoe 101. I'm Planning for the end of the month/beginning of next month.

I've thrown out one incentive by setting up as an HOTM. I'll toss out one more....

Just what is really in my 35 lb backpack? Come on. I know you're curious. Make me show you.

We'll also plan on a potluck soup day (idea gratis Prying Pandora). Everybody brings one can of their favortie soup. It cannot be cream or milk based. It'll be a hogdepodge.

Now what more could a budding snowshoer want? Hot water for coffee and cocoa? You got it! I'll even bring the marshmallows.

I need to have a show of hands so I know where to plan the snowshoe hike! (Tee I see your hand waving!)

It's waving, it's waving! However comma...unless it's around January 9th, when I'll be in that neck of the woods (I'm taking the train down for the holiday party), I won't have transportation to get down there. Unless, that is, you're thinking about coming up here, which would be awesomely divine. I keep an eye on this thread, so I'll watch as things develop. I don't have snowshoes...does anyone know of a place in B'ham that rents them? And what kind of boots do you wear with them? I need to buy boots as it is.

It's waving, it's waving! However comma...unless it's around January 9th, when I'll be in that neck of the woods (I'm taking the train down for the holiday party), I won't have transportation to get down there. Unless, that is, you're thinking about coming up here, which would be awesomely divine. I keep an eye on this thread, so I'll watch as things develop. I don't have snowshoes...does anyone know of a place in B'ham that rents them? And what kind of boots do you wear with them? I need to buy boots as it is.

REI rents the snowshoes. Members don't pay deposits. If you buy boots let em know you're planning on wearing snowshoes and they'll direct you to the right kind.

I might be in for myself, possibly my mother or girlfriend, who have expressed interest in snowshowing since last winter. I, myself, would need a couple of weeks advance, especially if it's a saturday, sundays aren't a big deal.

REI rents the snowshoes. Members don't pay deposits. If you buy boots let em know you're planning on wearing snowshoes and they'll direct you to the right kind.

Do snowshoes require a particular kind of boot? I need a general purpose pair I can wear for winter (I've been wearing my slippers in the snow because they're the warmest footwear I have...lol. Can't afford a pair just for showshoeing, and can't spend a ton of money on anything.

If this is Snowshoe 101...where do I find the kindergarten class? I know absolutely nothing about it, other than walking in the snow in the middle of nowhere must surely be the most peaceful experience.

I'd like to come on this snowshoe, altho date might be tricky. The Centralia Cache Machine is the weekend of Jan 2, and the WSGA-PS Holiday Party is Sat, Jan 9, as Tee pointed out, and I can't snowshoe beforehand due to party prep. I could do Sun, Jan 10, or Jan 16-17, but that's me.

Tee - you can wear any kind of outdoor boot with snowshoes, there aren't really "snowshoe boots." Most folks wear some type of high-cut waterproof hiking boot.

Edited by hydnsek

Do snowshoes require a particular kind of boot? I need a general purpose pair I can wear for winter (I've been wearing my slippers in the snow because they're the warmest footwear I have...lol. Can't afford a pair just for showshoeing, and can't spend a ton of money on anything.

If this is Snowshoe 101...where do I find the kindergarten class? I know absolutely nothing about it, other than walking in the snow in the middle of nowhere must surely be the most peaceful experience.

Any type of hiking boot will work; the snowshoes strap to any footwear. I use my waterproof high-cut hiking boots. Also, bring some kinda poles for balance and checking any tricky areas. Ski poles or other poles with cups are best, as the cups will keep them from sinking into the snow like trekking poles. Snow gaiters are also handy; they are pretty cheap and keep snow from getting into the tops of your boots (even high-cut ones).

You don't have to know anything about snowshoeing, it's dead easy. It's like walking a bit bow-legged, basically. To go uphill, you dig in the front claws a bit as you step. To go downhill, you lean back a bit so the rear claws get a good grip. That's about it. No one ever taught me, I just got a few pointers along the way, and I've done some tough snowshoes. It's not like skiing, where you need to learn techniques for gliding, stopping, turning, hills, etc.

And yes, snowshoeing and XC skiing are GREAT for that peaceful winter experience, quietly taking in nature as you stroll through the countryside.

Edited by hydnsek

Most snowshoe boots are general purpose hiking boots. That is, they serve multiple needs. The boot I wear is below. Notice the lip at the back. That's designed to hold the strap in. As long as the boot you choose has this much, comfort must play a part in your choice. I put memory foam insoles in mine for the duration I have to wear these. My feet are very thankful. As for timing of the schedule, NWCrew, I'll do my best to keep that in mind. I'm seeing the 10th is a strong leader now.

Like Hydnsek posted, walking in them is easy and the uphill and downhill do pose some counter-intuitive styled walking, but more important will be how do you pick yourself up in soft snow? What happens if you find your feet all tangled up. How about when you turtled and you can't get up? These are things I picked up in my inevitable slips and falls that I'm interested in putting out there for others to learn. If you're by yourself, how do you get out of these kinds of foibles?

d265b2da-11e6-44f5-954c-f95b28e06b8e.jpg

Edited by TotemLake

Like Hydnsek posted, walking in them is easy and the uphill and downhill do pose some counter-intuitive styled walking, but more important will be how do you pick yourself up in soft snow? What happens if you find your feet all tangled up. How about when you turtled and you can't get up? These are things I picked up in my inevitable slips and falls that I'm interested in putting out there for others to learn. If you're by yourself, how do you get out of these kinds of foibles?

That's a great point. I just try never to fall - easier to accomplish with snowshoes than skis. :) Seriously, getting back up in deep fluffy snow is the biggest challenge. It's another place poles can come in handy, either by placing them flat on the ground under you to distribute weight as you push up in fluffy stuff, or by poking them down into hard pack to push against. Anyway, TotemLake can demo all that stuff, he's a snow stud. :lol:

Edited by hydnsek

6b85f84e-1d3e-4c28-8cea-de1f1c9370f2.jpg

Most snowshoe boots are general purpose hiking boots. That is, they serve multiple needs. The boot I wear is below.

Those look nice. I've been wearing my Schnee's insulated pac boots for geocaching. I like the fact that I can wade thru steams up to about 9" deep without concern. But the stock soles are slippery on slimy rocks. When I wear them down I'll probably have them resoled with Vibram soles.

Geocaching boots is probably worth a thread of it's own.

Oh man! I didn't even notice! It's too late to try to plan something different for me. This week has been full.

Santa just whispered something about your mailbox.

Color me lost; where are we going? Or are you talking about December's HOTM? No Fe and Crim in January? I still need to make my plans...all I'd considered is train, Monroe area, holiday event until someone asked me to wave my hand.

Oh man! I didn't even notice! It's too late to try to plan something different for me. This week has been full.

Santa just whispered something about your mailbox.

Color me lost; where are we going? Or are you talking about December's HOTM? No Fe and Crim in January? I still need to make my plans...all I'd considered is train, Monroe area, holiday event until someone asked me to wave my hand.

You're on for January. We also have December's conversation going on.

I was thinking about going. I even talked with Criminal about it tonight. He wants to try his new snowshoes.

Then I looked to see where we would be heading, but since I am not a premium member I can't. :surprise:

Crim and Fe now have the needed intel on where the snowshoe hike will be, to decide if they want to go. (Grumble, mumble, PMO caches.)

I'll go if they go. :anicute: I mean, they haven't broken anything...yet. :laughing:

Edited by hydnsek

Alright, another stupid question. Do I need a parking permit at the parking area for the hike Saturday?

TL and I chatted about this the other night. The Snow Pass (or whatever its called) isn't needed for this as that starts about two miles further east. You will probably need a NW Forest Pass though, but that should be expected.

Ok, just to clear things up and make it cohesive again:

The December HOTM is on the 19th at 8AM to go after the following caches for:

Halfway to Kendal Katwalk and parking will be at the location of

PCT Point of Entry Snoqualmie Pass North.

At this time it looks like only the trailhead pass is needed. Sno-park passes are needed when passing Exit 54 eastbound. This area is at Exit 52. I won't be offended if someone double checks me.

I apologize for the fact it's a PMO hike. It's not something I look at when planning hikes but on the flip side, most of you have already found the other caches at one time or another. It's getting difficult to choose locations no one has been at.

The January Snowshoe 101 HOTM location is TBD, but the date is looking like January 10.

Edited by TotemLake

I was thinking about going. I even talked with Criminal about it tonight. He wants to try his new snowshoes.

Then I looked to see where we would be heading, but since I am not a premium member I can't. :anicute:

Crim and Fe now have the needed intel on where the snowshoe hike will be, to decide if they want to go. (Grumble, mumble, PMO caches.)

I'll go if they go. :o I mean, they haven't broken anything...yet. :surprise:

Bear in mind that I've had a few White Russians for dinner tonight, so if this doesn't make any sense, well that's just too bad. :laughing:

Is Weightman going?! Yo yo yo! The gang's all here!

As for the PMO; eh, seriously, I don't even care if there's a cache at all. I just want to get out in the snow with the peeps and then go eat some fud.

As for those of us who have hiked with hydnsek and somehow managed to walk away unscathed, let me remind you of:

5f270c23-3ef2-4fef-b7a2-a85ad11f6b89.jpg

Sigh. Is it my turn? :yikes:

Edited by Criminal

As for those of us who have hiked with hydnsek and somehow managed to walked away unscathed, let me remind you of:

5f270c23-3ef2-4fef-b7a2-a85ad11f6b89.jpg

Sigh. Is it my turn? :surprise:

Ahem...this injury occurred on the Big Hump trip, if I recall, and I only jinx one person per outing. :laughing: Besides, I wasn't on the portion of the hike where this occurred. :anicute: But wait...you were! And Klone Lake was your idea, too! Ha!

As for those of us who have hiked with hydnsek and somehow managed to walked away unscathed, let me remind you of:

Sigh. Is it my turn? :surprise:

Ahem...this injury occurred on the Big Hump trip, if I recall, and I only jinx one person per outing. :laughing: Besides, I wasn't on the portion of the hike where this occurred. :anicute: But wait...you were! And Klone Lake was your idea, too! Ha!

Hey! You shoosh!