Hike of the Month 2009

TotemLake

any report on this? So jealous, let's do some hikes down south please :)

It was a great day for a hike and a huge gathering at Lake Valhalla. Even though I put the HOTM label on it, Patudles did a wonderful job putting together this event and drawing interest to it. I just added to the coattails. :D

What he said. Beautiful day with fall colors; great folks from all over. :P

2939e184-4a66-498a-b282-0cfd0f2439cf.jpg

Standing L-R: LandRover, AndrewRJ, B+L, GrnXnham, Prying Pandora, Plaidguy, runhills, Patudles & friend. Sitting: TotemLake. Not in photo: Cstmframr, MAX-X, K-Ddid, hydnsek.

Edited by hydnsek

any report on this? So jealous, let's do some hikes down south please :D

It was a great day for a hike and a huge gathering at Lake Valhalla. Even though I put the HOTM label on it, Patudles did a wonderful job putting together this event and drawing interest to it. I just added to the coattails. :P

What he said. Beautiful day with fall colors; great folks from all over. :P

2939e184-4a66-498a-b282-0cfd0f2439cf.jpg

Standing L-R: TotemLake , AndrewRJ, B+L, GrnXnham, Prying Pandora, Plaidguy, runhills, Patudles & friend. Sitting: TotemLake. Not in photo: Cstmframr, MAX-X, K-Ddid, hydnsek.

Can't be in two places at once. Not as tired as I was. :)

;) Hello or Good Morning HOTM Members..

I have a question for those in possession of a MtnMutt Coin. I have 3 coins left which are in need of Names.

Group #4, in the MtnMutt Series. This Group contains 5 coins for unique individuals who have been on HOTM's, hikes, or just been very helpful in the realm of Geocaching.

Once you have given me names, rationale and that other cool stuff, I'll then pick that unique individual for the Coin name. That when the true fun begins as I start dropping these Puppies off in Unique Caches.

As you know I like Humor, so maybe a humorous story about that individual on a outing could sway the vote.

Please remember this is all about having fun in the Great Outdoors, so Post your story.

Thank you one and all..... :)

:lol: Hello or Good Morning HOTM Members..

I have a question for those in possession of a MtnMutt Coin. I have 3 coins left which are in need of Names.

Group #4, in the MtnMutt Series. This Group contains 5 coins for unique individuals who have been on HOTM's, hikes, or just been very helpful in the realm of Geocaching.

Once you have given me names, rationale and that other cool stuff, I'll then pick that unique individual for the Coin name. That when the true fun begins as I start dropping these Puppies off in Unique Caches.

As you know I like Humor, so maybe a humorous story about that individual on a outing could sway the vote.

Please remember this is all about having fun in the Great Outdoors, so Post your story.

I'm gonna have to think on that one. There are many deserving folks.

sorry for the brief interruption, are there any hikes like this in the south end? It's not THAT far of a drive, but with work on saturdays until 9am, I'm just not gonna be able to make it. But yeah, just wondering if anyone or the south sound WSGA chapter does any of these down here?

Pulled over from Hydnsek's AHOTM...

I'm in the process of looking over your area. Might not be this month, but a hike will be planned. Unless it goes counter to your work schedule, I'll also probably plan for a Sunday rather than a Saturday as a 9AM start time is a little late for anything significant if I'm going to make the drive.

:lol: Hello or Good Morning HOTM Members..

Do you have one named after Totemlake? I think his broken ankle escapade on Big Hump would qualify for a coin.

sorry for the brief interruption, are there any hikes like this in the south end? It's not THAT far of a drive, but with work on saturdays until 9am, I'm just not gonna be able to make it. But yeah, just wondering if anyone or the south sound WSGA chapter does any of these down here?

I'm in the process of looking over your area. Might not be this month, but a hike will be planned. Unless it goes counter to your work schedule, I'll also probably plan for a Sunday rather than a Saturday as a 9AM start time is a little late for anything significant if I'm going to make the drive.

If there is enough advance, I'll take the day off work if it's close. But sundays are always nice too. Though if there is a home seahawks game, I'll have to bail since I work on the field. Geez, I make myself sound like I have this busy schedule and I won't be able to "fit anything in". Not really how it sounds :lol:

:blink:

As you see the Coins have gone out randomly.

First 10 have been released, while the next group is in waiting, while the last group has had only Landrover released.

Totemlake

Forty-n-Eight

Moun10Bike

Superhoser

OldBaldEagle

AndrewRJ

Evergreen Hiker

MonkeyPirate

MVS 'Team Pooh' Amsterdam

TroubleJV

Mid-Mountain Mountaineers

Nolenator & Baxter

Jaded & RockitBiker

Intolerable

The Mercury Project

Landrover

:D

?

?

?

Does this help :unsure:

Suggestion: Franklin

Two to three feet of snow so far. The wheel is spinning. Where will it land?

I understand there's a steak & lobster dinner riding on the finding a certain backpack. If the entire HOM crew were to simultaneously find it, we could bankrupt Boonie-Medic. :lol:

The thought of finding it did cross my mind although I hadn't realized a dinner was riding on it. :anicute:

I understand one cacher has the coordinates for said pack.

Two to three feet of snow so far. The wheel is spinning. Where will it land?

I understand there's a steak & lobster dinner riding on the finding a certain backpack. If the entire HOM crew were to simultaneously find it, we could bankrupt Boonie-Medic. :lol:

The thought of finding it did cross my mind although I hadn't realized a dinner was riding on it. :anicute:

I understand one cacher has the coordinates for said pack.

In that terrain 100' error could mean 2-300' difference in elevation.

That and my gps said I was 60' south of the cache and then i was 180' north of it. Makes for a pretty big circle given the terrain.

Hey, guys, just remember, none of us are spring chickens anymore...we all have our weaknesses. There's a big difference in gently pushing the envelope and breaking free of a sedentary lifestyle (if medically recommended) than climbing, climbing, than boldly pushing your way through brush, only to slip down a slope and not be able to recover. I started a slide when I went hiking in the Sehome Arboretum. Part of me was thinking, "Uh oh...this won't end pretty..." and the other part was thinking, "Wheee! Wonder how this is gonna end!" I was aware enough to know how to catch myself (it was steep and muddy and very, very down with two sudden gusts of gravity) but starting down in that spot wasn't the wisest approach. You guys know how far to push and when you're pushing too far...please, for the companionship of the friends who would miss you immensely, stick to the safe path, or know exactly how much you are capable of doing, and don't get careless. Even then, the unforeseen can happen: a loose rock, slippery mud beneath a slimy moss, a tree root grabbing your foot, even your own health pitfalls (bones snap, organs argue and say *no*, sometimes the recovery takes longer than it should, which is a sign of necessary healing)...

Enjoy your adventures, ladles and jelly spoons. But be aware how your absence would change the reality of those you love and those who love you, and reign in your adrenal gland accordingly. Enjoy the view, but keep your eye on the path at the same time. I look forward to vicariously hiking future hikes of the month with you, my friends. Namaste'.

Hey, guys, just remember, none of us are spring chickens anymore...we all have our weaknesses. There's a big difference in gently pushing the envelope and breaking free of a sedentary lifestyle (if medically recommended) than climbing, climbing, than boldly pushing your way through brush, only to slip down a slope and not be able to recover. I started a slide when I went hiking in the Sehome Arboretum. Part of me was thinking, "Uh oh...this won't end pretty..." and the other part was thinking, "Wheee! Wonder how this is gonna end!" I was aware enough to know how to catch myself (it was steep and muddy and very, very down with two sudden gusts of gravity) but starting down in that spot wasn't the wisest approach. You guys know how far to push and when you're pushing too far...please, for the companionship of the friends who would miss you immensely, stick to the safe path, or know exactly how much you are capable of doing, and don't get careless. Even then, the unforeseen can happen: a loose rock, slippery mud beneath a slimy moss, a tree root grabbing your foot, even your own health pitfalls (bones snap, organs argue and say *no*, sometimes the recovery takes longer than it should, which is a sign of necessary healing)...

Enjoy your adventures, ladles and jelly spoons. But be aware how your absence would change the reality of those you love and those who love you, and reign in your adrenal gland accordingly. Enjoy the view, but keep your eye on the path at the same time. I look forward to vicariously hiking future hikes of the month with you, my friends. Namaste'.

Well it isn't like we go out to do break bones on purpose. Stuff happens but we do try to be as careful as possible given the risk of any hike and conditions.

Well it isn't like we go out to do break bones on purpose. Stuff happens but we do try to be as careful as possible given the risk of any hike and conditions.

I know, I'm jus' sayin'...sometimes it needs to be said out of the blue like that as a reminder.

...and not so thinly-veiled up there is my appreciation and adoration and a twinge of envy for those of you who do what you do, and your camaraderie while doing it. :)

Not to say it's ruled out. I'm still watching the weather. Nothing is in stone yet, but we didn't have snow this time last year. My snowshoes need to have justification for ownership.

I had to go play at Crystal on saturday for a school trip without snowshoes and wished I had them, It was lots o fun anyways..... just sayun :D

Surprisingly there isn't a lot of caches in that area. What's up with that? They either cluster together or there isn't anything there. I looked at the general area and the usual suspects have already hit most of them. There are a couple that look interesting, but look close to cliff edges (per map view) to make me feel warm and fuzzy about safety issues. I just sent a message to M10B about one of his caches to get a feel for it's location. It looks like the view would be breathtaking on a nice snowy day.

-=-=Edited to add=-=-

I just located a cache where Criminal has an opportunity to make good on a DNF.

GCK1T3 Tribute to Ronald Reagan

Just got word back from M10B to be wary of the cliff edge near the cache location but should be ok.

GC1HDET Rolling Thunder 4 (The Palisades)

So it's a toss up and will depend on which one gets the votes. I'm planning for Saturday on the T-Day weekend .

Edited by TotemLake

Surprisingly there isn't a lot of caches in that area. What's up with that? They either cluster together or there isn't anything there. I looked at the general area and the usual suspects have already hit most of them. There are a couple that look interesting, but look close to cliff edges (per map view) to make me feel warm and fuzzy about safety issues. I just sent a message to M10B about one of his caches to get a feel for it's location. It looks like the view would be breathtaking on a nice snowy day.

-=-=Edited to add=-=-

I just located a cache where Criminal has an opportunity to make good on a DNF.

GCK1T3 Tribute to Ronald Reagan

Just got word back from M10B to be wary of the cliff edge near the cache location but should be ok.

So it's a toss up and will depend on which one gets the votes. I'm planning for Saturday on the T-Day weekend .

I'm game for either one. I was just up in the area today playing in the snow on the Naches Trail at 4600'.

It's amazing how much better the ol' Land Rover handles the snow with decent tires.

95399d95-8a5a-4762-a4da-69a2bd2912e3.jpg3935e786-4de4-4e1c-a319-90c6865891d9.jpg

I'm a Maybe, depending on when my Thanksgiving company leaves. I'd vote for Rolling Thunder, partly cos it sounds quite scenic and partly cos I missed the FTF on it a year ago. (I was nearby to visit my cache, but didn't check for new caches in the area - doh!)

Sounds like quite the trek: "9.6 mile round-trip, 2200-foot elevation gain hike from Highway 410." This would be the hardest snowshoe I've attempted! Haven't checked the maps, but assume this is before the road closure on Hwy 410 due to the massive landslide.

I'm a Maybe, depending on when my Thanksgiving company leaves. I'd vote for Rolling Thunder, partly cos it sounds quite scenic and partly cos I missed the FTF on it a year ago. (I was nearby to visit my cache, but didn't check for new caches in the area - doh!)

Sounds like quite the trek: "9.6 mile round-trip, 2200-foot elevation gain hike from Highway 410." This would be the hardest snowshoe I've attempted! Haven't checked the maps, but assume this is before the road closure on Hwy 410 due to the massive landslide.

I'm aware of the landslide road closure near Naches east of Chinook Pass. Is there another?

I'm aware of the landslide road closure near Naches east of Chinook Pass. Is there another?

Not that I'm aware of. Like I said, "haven't checked the maps," so wasn't sure where the hike was relative to the closure, so just checking.

I received a heads up the normal access from FS74 to Tribute to Ronald Reagan is no longer viable. The bridge was washed out. FS73 access to Lonesome Lake is more viable now, but it is a longer route and it may have issues with previous storm damage making for an unknown starting point.

So, with this being the case, I'll be aiming for Rolling Thunder 4. With an almost 10 mile RT hike, this is going to be an early start with the first 1400' elevation gain will be within the first 1.2 miles.

Washed out bridge as of August 27, 2009.

3d880e79-3850-441d-92ef-0960b023fdcd.jpg

Hike Details at a glance:

Trailhead N 47° 02.946 W 121° 34.211

Target cache Rolling Thunder 4 (The Palisades)

Departure time Saturday 11/28 on or about 7AM

Cache to capture enroute Hiker's Choice Two

This is expected to be about 9.5 miles roundtrip but I'll be in no big rush to make the climb. Bring fresh batteries for your light just in case.

Hiker's Choice two: Make sure you note the May 9, 2009 log, the co-ords have been changed.

Hike Details at a glance:

Trailhead N 47° 02.946 W 121° 34.211

Target cache Rolling Thunder 4 (The Palisades)

Departure time Saturday 11/28 on or about 7AM

Cache to capture enroute Hiker's Choice Two

This is expected to be about 9.5 miles roundtrip but I'll be in no big rush to make the climb. Bring fresh batteries for your light just in case.

Hiker's Choice two: Make sure you note the May 9, 2009 log, the co-ords have been changed.

Yep got it. It's closer to Thunder 4 than before.

Edited by TotemLake

I'm thinking about putting together an introductory snowshoe hike for a geocache hunt. Although not limited to beginners only; Beginners will have a chance to experience snowshoeing as a sport and will be able to pick up tips and tricks and learn some of the pitfalls to watch for.

If there is an interest, I'll look over the area and see what we can come up with and give plenty of notice so folks have a chance to rent their equipment.

Is there an interest?

(This is not a Plan B for this month's HOTM.)

Edited by TotemLake

I'm thinking about putting together an introductory snowshoe hike for a geocache hunt. Although not limited to beginners only; Beginners will have a chance to experience snowshoeing as a sport and will be able to pick up tips and tricks and learn some of the pitfalls to watch for.

If there is an interest, I'll look over the area and see what we can come up with and give plenty of notice so folks have a chance to rent their equipment.

Is there an interest?

I'm definitely interested, but travel logistics for me are a nightmare. I'll be watching this space, though.

Is there an interest?

Great idea! :) Here are some snowshoe hikes that might work (taken from my Snowshoe & Ski caches bookmark list):

Edited by hydnsek

I need to talk to the wife, but put us down as maybe's.

We have to pull out of this, I've booked a show for that evening and just won't have time for the hike, cleaning up, packing and traveling to the gig. Have fun!

Bummer the cancel, still glad you're seeing work.

LandRover, is your knee up to this or should I work on a different hike as plan B?

Edited by TotemLake

I need to talk to the wife, but put us down as maybe's.

We have to pull out of this, I've booked a show for that evening and just won't have time for the hike, cleaning up, packing and traveling to the gig. Have fun!

Bummer the cancel, still glad you're seeing work.

LandRover, is your knee up to this or should I work on a different hike as plan B?

I'm still a go, not sure what kind of stress snowshoeing will put on it but I can always stop, probably won't be any worse than Lichtenwasser Lake with a 50# pack, better not jinx myself.