Hike of the Month 2009

TotemLake

Looks like I'll be on the same ferry as B+L. If you guys see a blue Escape with a bike on the back and a geo-sticker in the back window - that's me.

Hmm. If you want, leave your car at Southworth and meet us on the ferry. We are bringing our truck which has a rack in the bed for two bikes, but there is plenty of room to tuck a third one in. Red Toyota Tundra. We should be easy to spot with the bikes in the back. I'll PM our cell number.

Hmm. If you want, leave your car at Southworth and meet us on the ferry. We are bringing our truck which has a rack in the bed for two bikes, but there is plenty of room to tuck a third one in. Red Toyota Tundra. We should be easy to spot with the bikes in the back. I'll PM our cell number.

That sounds like a good plan. If my sleepy brain can stay focused long enough to park the car instead of driving on the ferry, I'll ride with you.

:D Landrover and I are doing a Mini-Hike of the Month as we Venture out to the Monster. Sorry, you could not come out and play. The Moose Drool :blink: will miss you...

And I had a great time at Oyster Dome (a previous HOTM) with Alnilam, Kiersolvd, and Cache Ahead. A great day for hiking (and swimming, apparently :)).

After a long hiatus marked with aches and pains of the body and the car, I'm finally ready to get back out there again. i'm planning on camping but anybody who makes this event to chase this cache will be considered part of the motley crew of HOTM hikers. It doesn't matter if you approach from the Stevens Pass Trailhead or the The Smith Brook Trailhead.

Now, I might also be interested in backtracking to a couple of nefarious caches that remain unfound during the snowshoe HOTMs which means I will be parked at the Smith Brook Trailhead. Just sayin'... :D

After a long hiatus marked with aches and pains of the body and the car, I'm finally ready to get back out there again. i'm planning on camping but anybody who makes this event to chase this cache will be considered part of the motley crew of HOTM hikers. It doesn't matter if you approach from the Stevens Pass Trailhead or the The Smith Brook Trailhead.

Now, I might also be interested in backtracking to a couple of nefarious caches that remain unfound during the snowshoe HOTMs which means I will be parked at the Smith Brook Trailhead. Just sayin'... :D

I'm in! Day-hiker only, tho. Would like to carpool with another day tripper from my area if possible (looking at you, Andrew, since Jeff is camping :D ).

Well if your just sayin... :D

I thought about trying when I was thru there last week but I decided to spend my time walking along the Iron Goat instead.

Now, I might also be interested in backtracking to a couple of nefarious caches that remain unfound during the snowshoe HOTMs which means I will be parked at the Smith Brook Trailhead. Just sayin'... :blink:

Well if your just sayin... :blink:

I thought about trying when I was thru there last week but I decided to spend my time walking along the Iron Goat instead.

Are you interested in a morning or afternoon attempt?

Now, I might also be interested in backtracking to a couple of nefarious caches that remain unfound during the snowshoe HOTMs which means I will be parked at the Smith Brook Trailhead. Just sayin'... B)

Well if your just sayin... :huh:

Morning would be better for me, but then we would need to leave enough time to hike up to the lake.

Now, I might also be interested in backtracking to a couple of nefarious caches that remain unfound during the snowshoe HOTMs which means I will be parked at the Smith Brook Trailhead. Just sayin'... B)

Well if your just sayin... :huh:

Morning would be better for me, but then we would need to leave enough time to hike up to the lake.

We can have an early start time with a hard turn around time and call it an exploratory foray if we don't make it all the way in. I checked the topo, there isn't much of a way over or around the other direction. I can do the 3 miles out of the lake basin in about 90-120 minutes (being generous I think), drive the jeep down to the turn off and meet you there. My start time is going to depend largely on what time you want to start the bushwhack trek which if I recall, was a 3 mile RT from where we parked on 90.

Edited by TotemLake

Now, I might also be interested in backtracking to a couple of nefarious caches that remain unfound during the snowshoe HOTMs which means I will be parked at the Smith Brook Trailhead. Just sayin'... :(

Well if your just sayin... B)

We can have an early start time with a hard turn around time and call it an exploratory foray if we don't make it all the way in. I checked the topo, there isn't much of a way over or around the other direction. I can do the 3 miles out of the lake basin in about 90-120 minutes (being generous I think), drive the jeep down to the turn off and meet you there. My start time is going to depend largely on what time you want to start the bushwhack trek which if I recall, was a 3 mile RT from where we parked on 90.

Okay, although I was first to sign up, I'm being completely ignored in this discussion :huh: , and you're talking in code in referencing the other caches so most of us are kinda clueless, so I guess I'll just say: Y'all have fun!

Edited by hydnsek

Now, I might also be interested in backtracking to a couple of nefarious caches that remain unfound during the snowshoe HOTMs which means I will be parked at the Smith Brook Trailhead. Just sayin'... :rolleyes:

Well if your just sayin... :)

Okay, although I was first to sign up, I'm being completely ignored in this discussion ;) , and you're talking in code in referencing the other caches so most of us are kinda clueless, so I guess I'll just say: Y'all have fun!

It's not code. I stated above the DNF'd snowshoe HOTM caches. You know, the ones you were interested in chasing if I decided to bushwhack in? I merely thought you and Andrew already had your discussion off line about carpooling?

Edited by TotemLake

It's not code. I stated above the DNF'd snowshoe HOTM caches. You know, the ones you were interested in chasing if I decided to bushwhack in? I merely thought you and Andrew already had your discussion off line about carpooling?

It is for anybody reading this who might be interested in a HOTM but isn't familiar with those specific caches. Kind of a private conversation to them. (Nope, Andrew hasn't contacted me.)

Anyway...Cache Ahead would be probably be interested in trying to access her cache; she's tried before in summer and found it impenetrable. She and I are planning to attend the Valhalla event at this point.

It is for anybody reading this who might be interested in a HOTM but isn't familiar with those specific caches. Kind of a private conversation to them. (Nope, Andrew hasn't contacted me.)

Anyway...Cache Ahead would be probably be interested in trying to access her cache; she's tried before in summer and found it impenetrable. She and I are planning to attend the Valhalla event at this point.

Ok, see you there!

I intend on dayhiking this event but am withholding commitment to a carpool due to homework on first weekend after school starts might change the plan. I would be willing to carpool with ya hydnsek If you can wait until wednesday next week for a commitment.

Groovie tubies. ;) I kin wait, and it will be good to see you again! Since Cache Ahead lives north, we'd probably hook up with her along Hwy 2 for the final leg, if she also gets her schedule worked out to come.

So as long as I'm told I'm speaking in code, and I'm not one to let a good idea go to waste... B)

Funyy jr zrrg hc ng frira ng gur ghea bss gb guvf pnpur?

Jr pna znxr n uneq ghea nebhaq gvzr bs rvtug guvegl gb znxr gur UBGZ gnetrg neeviny gvzr.

Edited by TotemLake

Ok now that the Cache Machine is over I can start properly thinking about this one.

TotemLake, my origional thought was that we could hike up beside the freeway on the north side of the barriers, it is mostly flat and grassy there, then drop down across the creek. It would cut out a lot of time trying to bushwack across all the scrub brush.

Abby, to be fair I have barely been on line the last week and hadn't responded to anyone. I haven't been ignoring you.

Should be a great day to try those then hike up to the lake for lunch.

Are we looking at a 7 or 8 am start or...

Ok now that the Cache Machine is over I can start properly thinking about this one.

TotemLake, my origional thought was that we could hike up beside the freeway on the north side of the barriers, it is mostly flat and grassy there, then drop down across the creek. It would cut out a lot of time trying to bushwack across all the scrub brush.

Abby, to be fair I have barely been on line the last week and hadn't responded to anyone. I haven't been ignoring you.

Ok. I was thinking that might be a good starting spot too. It's been a few years since I was there during good weather so I can't recall what that location looks like without snow but the aerials look promising.

So the meet up location would be at the Smith Brook bridge crossing I think there should be parking available along there. I think a 7AM start should give us plenty of time for obstacles. If this is agreeable, I'll post further details on this tonight for the excursion hike.

Fwiw, this is not part of the HOTM. This is an excursion attempt to put to rest the DNFs on two snowshoe HOTMs and a possible container(s) rescue. Anybody willing to join is welcome, but this is going to be rated a moderate to difficult hike just because of the unknown factor.

Edited by TotemLake

Ok. I was thinking that might be a good starting spot too. It's been a few years since I was there during good weather so I can't recall what that location looks like without snow but the aerials look promising.

So the meet up location would be at the Smith Brook bridge crossing I think there should be parking available along there. I think a 7AM start should give us plenty of time for obstacles. If this is agreeable, I'll post further details on this tonight for the excursion hike.

Fwiw, this is not part of the HOTM. This is an excursion attempt to put to rest the DNFs on two snowshoe HOTMs and a possible container(s) rescue. Anybody willing to join is welcome, but this is going to be rated a moderate to difficult hike just because of the unknown factor.

That sounds about right for a start time, but I think I'm out; although let me check w/ Adena. I'd love to do it, but our preference would've been after the Valhalla hike, so there's no time pressure, allowing us to explore, and we can show up to the Valhalla event not looking completely trashed. <_< ( And Andrew - to be fair, I hadn't given it a second thought, once I realized carpooling didn't make sense from our locations. :D )

Edited by hydnsek

Back in 2004 Runhills, Nolenator, Lucy and I basically did this exact thing on the way to the old Geo Stumpy cache.

We parked on a logging road on the south side of US 2 at approximately N 47 46.848 W 121 02.877. This is less than half a mile from the cache. We then crossed to the north side of US 2 and walked west until we found an open rocky slope that led down to the creek. Once at the creek it was about 500 or 600 feet of creek walking to the area of the cache and about 100 feet of some of the toughest bushwhacking we have ever down. We did get to ground zero but didn't find the cache.

Here is a rough map of the trip. the red line is the normal winter route and the blue line is the summer route.

d19af5ec-b406-4d71-9ffd-8d54d400314a.jpg

Good Luck!

When are ya'll planning to do this, I might be down to meet some people, do some hiking and find some caches no one else could, that's the hope right? Always down for some adventures!

This Saturday at 7AM. The day of the HOTM which will occur later in the day in the same locale. It isn't that these caches were never found, they just weren't found during HOTMs 2 years running. :D This is a significant difference.

When are ya'll planning to do this, I might be down to meet some people, do some hiking and find some caches no one else could, that's the hope right? Always down for some adventures!

This Saturday at 7AM. The day of the HOTM which will occur later in the day in the same locale. It isn't that these caches were never found, they just weren't found during HOTMs 2 years running. :D This is a significant difference.

Shoot, saturday I work until 8am, will have to plan further in advance to get the time off because this sounds like fun. Have a nice trip all!

This Saturday at 7AM. The day of the HOTM which will occur later in the day in the same locale. It isn't that these caches were never found, they just weren't found during HOTMs 2 years running. <_< This is a significant difference.

Shoot, saturday I work until 8am, will have to plan further in advance to get the time off because this sounds like fun. Have a nice trip all!

You could still come to the Lake Valhalla event, which is at noon. TotemLake's bushwhack is just a precursor, since these troublesome caches are conveniently near the main event. Personally, I'd like to request that if TotemLake and AndrewRJ find a route to the snowshoe caches through the brush, they mark it with flagging tape, as the cache owner has been unable to manage it, and we'd like to check out the area without snow, too. (Just kidding about the flagging tape. :D)

This Saturday at 7AM. The day of the HOTM which will occur later in the day in the same locale. It isn't that these caches were never found, they just weren't found during HOTMs 2 years running. <_< This is a significant difference.

You could still come to the Lake Valhalla event, which is at noon. TotemLake's bushwhack is just a precursor, since these troublesome caches are conveniently near the main event. Personally, I'd like to request that if TotemLake and AndrewRJ find a route to the snowshoe caches through the brush, they mark it with flagging tape, as the cache owner has been unable to manage it, and we'd like to check out the area without snow, too. (Just kidding about the flagging tape. :D)

Ahhhhh, it's all making sense now. So the plan is to meet at the lake at noon. Is it then up to yourself to find any of the caches in the area? Sorry, so new to this and the events get me confused. Still not sure if I can make it out or not, but looks like a nice place for a dip, lol

Ok, Parking for the excursion is aproximately

N 47 46.848 W 121 02.877

Expected entry is

N47° 46.912' W121° 3.206'

I plan on being there at 7AM.

For the HOTM, the Smith Brook road is

N47° 47.0126' W121° 2.3948'

Parking is available at

N47° 48.1359' W121° 4.6331'

If all goes well I plan on entering the trailhead by 10AM. Don't wait up. We'll meet up at at The Heavenly Destination Event by noon to go after the Lake Valhalla cache and gain a group picture then.

I will have my Ham and FRS and will be on the wilderness channel 146.52 and FRS 2 respectively. We'll shout out when we get near the HOTM trailhead.

Any campers, LandRover and I are planning on overmighting at Lichtenwasser Lake on Friday night and depending on how early or late I get up on Saturday, may camp at Lake Valhalla. Likely I'll stay put though so I can make a quick run to Valhalla.

I intend on dayhiking this event but am withholding commitment to a carpool due to homework on first weekend after school starts might change the plan. I would be willing to carpool with ya hydnsek If you can wait until wednesday next week for a commitment.

Ok I'm in, schoolwork managable this weekend so I can go. :shocked: Details tonight thinking 8ish at your house Hydnseek?

Ok I'm in, schoolwork managable this weekend so I can go. :shocked: Details tonight thinking 8ish at your house Hydnseek?

Sounds like a plan, if'n I recover from today's expedition to Silver Peak with ruck. Let's make it 8:30 my place - that should put us at the Smith Brook trailhead by 10:00, when the others are meeting. That should put us at Valhalla in time for the noon event. See y'all then!

any report on this? So jealous, let's do some hikes down south please :)

It was a great day for a hike and a huge gathering at Lake Valhalla. Even though I put the HOTM label on it, Patudles did a wonderful job putting together this event and drawing interest to it. I just added to the coattails. :D

Edited by TotemLake