Hike of the Month 2009

TotemLake

Thats some odd mapping.

Its 12 miles roughly to the trailhead from the start of the road, and it will take me about an hour to drive to the start of the road.

It looks like TL left 40 minutes to get from the start of the road to the trail head.

I just plugged this into yahoo maps and it said it would take 2 hours and 22 minutes, thats an HOUR AND 22 MINUTES to drive those 12 miles!!?? That is so not accurate.

:D;):ph34r::cool:

I will be giving my self a half hour to get that distance.

Edited by AndrewRJ

Thats some odd mapping.

Its 12 miles roughly to the trailhead from the start of the road, and it will take me about an hour to drive to the start of the road.

It looks like TL left 40 minutes to get from the start of the road to the trail head.

I just plugged this into yahoo maps and it said it would take 2 hours and 22 minutes, thats an HOUR AND 22 MINUTES to drive those 12 miles!!??

:D;):ph34r::cool:

That's a good point. It is that rough if memory serves me from 8 years ago. Adjust to be there between 7:30-8:00AM arrival time. No sense in putting everyone in a tizzy trying to get there.

Thats some odd mapping.

I just plugged this into yahoo maps and it said it would take 2 hours and 22 minutes, thats an HOUR AND 22 MINUTES to drive those 12 miles!!??

;):ph34r::cool::)

That's a good point. It is that rough if memory serves me from 8 years ago. Adjust to be there between 7:30-8:00AM arrival time. No sense in putting everyone in a tizzy trying to get there.

Actually that's not exactly my point. I DONT think that the yahoo maps in anything close to accurate. They are estimating something like 9 mph. The road is much better then that. I would be shocked if anyone going feels the need to drive below 30 mph. which should take a half hour. I have seen the way you all drive, no problems going 30 :D:laughing:

Actually that's not exactly my point. I DONT think that the yahoo maps in anything close to accurate. They are estimating something like 9 mph. The road is much better then that. I would be shocked if anyone going feels the need to drive below 30 mph. which should take a half hour. I have seen the way you all drive, no problems going 30 :D:ph34r:

Ok.... we're back to the schedule of meet up by 7AM. I can only mill about the trailhead for so long. ;)

PN is loaded with aerials, route and caches. Woot!

Edited by TotemLake

My wife and I will join this hike.

We will bring our two dogs as well.

If it was going to be in the 90's we'd leave the dogs, but with it in the 80's, I think they will be okay. Plus, the Jester said there was a few stream crossings, so the dogs can get a drink and cool down.

We'll be there before 7AM.

Y'all have a good time...

Oh lord. That was insane! There was steep, really steep, and where did I put the repelling gear.

It took much longer then I figured but the early start kept the temps down until we were heading back. Jeff caught and released a few fish and the lake was really nice. Only saw one person all day, and that as we were getting ready to leave.

The knees are hurting and I thing that Jeff may need that surgery sooner now.

Y'all have a good time...

We missed you on this one Brian. Just got home and I'm not sure I'm going to be able to get out of my chair for 3 or 4 days. I did atch ans release 3 trout and a 4th one broke my line just as I was about to land it and swam away with my lure in it's mouth. First time I've been fishing in years and had a good time, the hike on the other hand was a real killer.

Sounds like a good time was had by all...well, except for the fishes...

I was on call so I'm sure you had more fun than I did...

Don't be so sure about that.

This is by far the toughest hike I've been on including Camp Muir. I thought it was bad going up but coming down was even worse.

This is by far the toughest hike I've been on including Camp Muir. I thought it was bad going up but coming down was even worse.

Sounds like we need another "drive in the mountains on logging roads and find easy caches" trip again...haven't had one of those in awhile...

Sounds like we need another "drive in the mountains on logging roads and find easy caches" trip again...haven't had one of those in awhile...

You're probably just saying that because this is the one thread I track and you knew I'd see it. Is Andrew driving again? Who's got valium? :D

I'm a terrible back-seat passenger and driver. I'd never been on the likes of some of the roads Andrew, Brian and I cached on. It just kept going up and up and that road kept getting narrower and narrower. :(

I had a BLAST that day, though, and the scenery...oh, my! That was my first view of Ross Lake. 'Nuff said?

Edited by Pyewacket

Whew! Home at last. I have a commitment to be up north tomorrow so I'll post as soon as I can. This was a very challenging hike and I'm hesitant to pursue Kings Lake. I'll give it a few more days before I decide.

Oh and Dwoodford, the coordinates provided were for QFC.

Edited by TotemLake

You're probably just saying that because this is the one thread I track and you knew I'd see it. Is Andrew driving again? Who's got valium? :(

I'm a terrible back-seat passenger and driver. I'd never been on the likes of some of the roads Andrew, Brian and I cached on. It just kept going up and up and that road kept getting narrower and narrower. <_<

I had a BLAST that day, though, and the scenery...oh, my! That was my first view of Ross Lake. 'Nuff said?

Those roads were nothing...you should see some of the ones I've driven in my youth... :D

There is an event in Winthrop being hosted by the Birdy(s)...we could do those roads again...or similar ones... :)

There is an event in Winthrop being hosted by the Birdy(s)...we could do those roads again...or similar ones... :D

I miss event after event since I gave away my van. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE that I'm sticking by my convictions and just riding my bike, taking mass transit, or riding with a friend if they were already planning to go my way. But it makes it really tough to get anywhere when the last bus for Sumas leaves at the time events just get started.

Hey, Greg, can you check into the caches not far from here that are gold mine-themed? There's a hike with at least five caches that might not be as strenuous as some you've planned, but it wouldn't be a walk in the park, either. 'Course, it's quite a drive up here, but I'd be happy to offer sleeping space for as many as I can.

There is an event in Winthrop being hosted by the Birdy(s)...we could do those roads again...or similar ones... :D

I miss event after event since I gave away my van. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE that I'm sticking by my convictions and just riding my bike, taking mass transit, or riding with a friend if they were already planning to go my way. But it makes it really tough to get anywhere when the last bus for Sumas leaves at the time events just get started.

Hey, Greg, can you check into the caches not far from here that are gold mine-themed? There's a hike with at least five caches that might not be as strenuous as some you've planned, but it wouldn't be a walk in the park, either. 'Course, it's quite a drive up here, but I'd be happy to offer sleeping space for as many as I can.

I keep looking in that direction. One day... someday...

Whew! Home at last. I have a commitment to be up north tomorrow so I'll post as soon as I can. This was a very challenging hike and I'm hesitant to pursue Kings Lake. I'll give it a few more days before I decide.

That is where you met MtnMutt, is it not? :D:(

I'm OUT when/If you do Kings Lake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy cow - harder than Camp Muir and Mt St Helens? :D That IS a tough hike. I think I'm glad I persuaded JustMike and kids to go up and visit Alnilam and do The Outlet Mall and revisit The Air of Your Ways. Their family reunion is tomorrow and got to sit and chat with a bunch of the family when we were done. The Outlet Mall is another instant classic and hope it wins COTM.

I survived the :P Cake Walk to Rainy Lake, I looked behind too many trees in search of an unpublished cache. I think it is lost in SPACE.

The beginning was fun, the large amount of level areas was superb and the various elevation gains was exciting.

:) Wait a minute! What Hike am I talking about? This was up and up, the a short down the up and up. That last push to the high point above the lake has turned many a Hiker around. We heard of 2 this day.

As we headed back from this adventure, I had a vision of a Cold Moose Drool and a Blue Cheese, Bacon Burger kept this wandering soul moving. Once back it was better than I dreamed about. Right Totem??

I must admit this was more fun than doing say 15 Caches during a Dog Show weekend. I missed this week but the won the Breed. a Win-Win for both.

Thanks Greg for another warm weather hike...

oh for those who did go on this short adventure... 'Did you wake this morning with some new aches or muscles pains you didn't have yesterday or did I just sleep wrong last night?

oh for those who did go on this short adventure... 'Did you wake this morning with some new aches or muscles pains you didn't have yesterday or did I just sleep wrong last night?

With the exception of two little spots that my sweat soaked shirt rubbed raw most of me feels much better than I thought it would this morning, maybe it was those Canadian Tylenol that I picked up a few weeks ago :P , not that I'm ready for another hike this today. Even the deep breath induced back spasms I was having on the drive home last night are gone this morning.

A big thanks to TotemLake for putting together this hike. Great choice for a day hike.

We were REALLY stiff this morning! Even the dogs didn't want to get up.

I was sure glad this hike was on a Saturday instead of a Sunday. I have to get up for work on Monday! I need a day of recovery.

That is where you met MtnMutt, is it not? :P:)

Yes we did. Thankfully.

My point is...

What if he didn't pay attention to the posted coordinates becaue he knew where Safeway was?

Anyway, I'm glad everyone had a great time! I'm still a little stiff but I'm out for what sounds like a 4 mile walk today with my family around Lake Padden.

Edited by TotemLake

Lake Padden is nice, a very chilly lake high in the hills. The trails going 'round are nice, too. I rode my folding bike, so I took the easy trail; my little folder is easily transported, but not so easy to ride on uneven terrain with 16" wheels. A couple of hills almost got me...I don't have my wind back after the PE...I may never get it back completely. I hope you brought towels...you're gonna want to dunk after a walk in today's heat and humidity. If you find a cheap, brown, wooden-beaded mala in the lake that looks as if it had been worn two years consecutively...can ya hold onto it for me? :P

Congrats to the HOTM for conquoring Rainy Lake; that's a tough trail. Sounds like it was worth it. :D

I was asked this morning from a coworker why I put myself through this kind of torture. My response....

Becasue you can't get to the view any other way.

I have to say I was challenged to continue upward knowing I was as close as I was. I was unwilling to put that much work in and turn around shy of the target. Was it worth it? Oh yah, big time. Will my dog forgive me? In time. :blink:

I was sorry to see Cstmfrmr turn around but it was understandable. His geopuppy, Shay, was unable to handle the big rocks scramble section and I can honestly say it was a wise decision even after getting past those.

I was sorry to see Cstmfrmr turn around but it was understandable. His geopuppy, Shay, was unable to handle the big rocks scramble section and I can honestly say it was a wise decision even after getting past those.

Thanks TL, It took us almost an hour to get down after Shay fell a couple more times. I really have to remember his fitness more than mine, I can't even imagine how bad he would have been if we had kept on going, His huge heart is game but the knee just can't keep up, I'm afraid his climbing days are over. :blink: We did stop at the river for a good long soak thou, even after that Shay didn't move but once on Sunday. Congrats to the rest of the team for what had to be a huge effort. Thanks for letting us tag along. :D

Edited by Cstmframr/Duckfart

Thanks TL, It took us almost an hour to get down after Shay fell a couple more times. I really have to remember his fitness more than mine, I can't even imagine how bad he would have been if we had kept on going, His huge heart is game but the knee just can't keep up, I'm afraid his climbing days are over. :blink: We did stop at the river for a good long soak thou, even after that Shay didn't move but once on Sunday. Congrats to the rest of the team for what had to be a huge effort. Thanks for letting us tag along. :D

I feel bad for deciding against the group pic at the foot bridge as you were missed at the lake. Oh yah, and it was a general consensus to not go after Upper Rainy Lake.

Howdy all, kinda new cacher, and a very wet behind the ears beginning hiker here. I like the idea of joining you guys for a HOTM, but I may not be up to the level needed to join. Can I make a suggested hike? I noticed a bunch of caches along the south side of Taylor mountain, requiring a pretty good (for me) hike to get. I would love the experience of hiking with some more experienced members, and would learn a bunch. Would something like this be possible?

Edit to add, Taylor mountain is SE of Tiger mountain on hwy 18.......just in case

Edited by RS67Man

Howdy all, kinda new cacher, and a very wet behind the ears beginning hiker here. I like the idea of joining you guys for a HOTM, but I may not be up to the level needed to join. Can I make a suggested hike? I noticed a bunch of caches along the south side of Taylor mountain, requiring a pretty good (for me) hike to get. I would love the experience of hiking with some more experienced members, and would learn a bunch. Would something like this be possible?

Edit to add, Taylor mountain is SE of Tiger mountain on hwy 18.......just in case

Welcome to the sport!

I'll look at the map and timing to see where we can get it in. This year is particularly a tough one because I need to build up my endurance, skills and strength for the upcoming hikes I'm planning next year.

There is also the possibility of more than one group going on different hikes. I encourage the use of this thread for that so don't think you're hijaacking if this is something you're interested in organizing.

Edited by TotemLake

Any more details? Monte Cristo has been on my list to do, but not familiar with what's involved. Just got back from a 5-day backpack trip around the SolDuc Loop and need to shower/etc before my brain is fully working, but since Sunday's canoe trip is cancelled, I'd be interested in doing this.

Any more details? Monte Cristo has been on my list to do, but not familiar with what's involved. Just got back from a 5-day backpack trip around the SolDuc Loop and need to shower/etc before my brain is fully working, but since Sunday's canoe trip is cancelled, I'd be interested in doing this.

Its an 8 mile RT walk up an old access road that has suffered a lot of flood damage in the last few years. Still a really passable road however.

The hike is definitely worth doing. I am booked Sunday or I would go as well.

Its an 8 mile RT walk up an old access road that has suffered a lot of flood damage in the last few years. Still a really passable road however.

The hike is definitely worth doing. I am booked Sunday or I would go as well.

It was also the railroad grade, so it's as flat as possible.

Any more details? Monte Cristo has been on my list to do, but not familiar with what's involved. Just got back from a 5-day backpack trip around the SolDuc Loop and need to shower/etc before my brain is fully working, but since Sunday's canoe trip is canceled, I'd be interested in doing this.

I need to be at the Masonic Park in Granite Falls at 0800 to drop the wife off for a breakfast deal which means leaving Federal Way at 0630. I know 0800 is pretty early to be in Granite Falls so depending on what time anyone else can be there I can either hang out there or not. I am also be bringing my bicycle just in case, I can either use it or not depending on others.

Any more details? Monte Cristo has been on my list to do, but not familiar with what's involved. Just got back from a 5-day backpack trip around the SolDuc Loop and need to shower/etc before my brain is fully working, but since Sunday's canoe trip is canceled, I'd be interested in doing this.

I need to be at the Masonic Park in Granite Falls at 0800 to drop the wife off for a breakfast deal which means leaving Federal Way at 0630. I know 0800 is pretty early to be in Granite Falls so depending on what time anyone else can be there I can either hang out there or not. I am also be bringing my bicycle just in case, I can either use it or not depending on others.

I will be at the Masonic Park all weekend with the Rainbow Girls so if you think you might want to hang out for a while and have a cup of coffee come on down to the main camping area.

I think I could be in Granite Falls at 8am. What cache(s) would we be going after? I can bring a mountain bike too.

I think I could be in Granite Falls at 8am. What cache(s) would we be going after? I can bring a mountain bike too.

Here is the bookmark of caches from Barlow Pass to Monte Cristo.

There is also a TC there as well.

There is also a TC there as well.

What is a TC? :)

We're up for doing this one. It's been eons since I was out that way. I think the last ice sheet had just receded right before my visit.

We'll bring our mountain bikes and be on the 6:25 ferry which should get us to Granite Falls somewhere between 8:00-8:30, depending on whether the ferry is on time, traffic, etc. It should be noted that we are using Google Maps for the time estimate and Google can be somewhat conservative with driving times. For comparison, according to Google's estimate, you will not arrive until around 8:30. In this case, the estimate looks fairly reasonable, so we are going to assume you may like to keep the right-hand pedal under some pressure. We like to use a more moderate touch, so let us know if 8-8:30 is too late, because we have no desire to take the earlier 5:35 ferry.

If the time is agreeable, where is the meeting point going to be? The Masonic Park?

We're up for doing this one. It's been eons since I was out that way. I think the last ice sheet had just receded right before my visit.

We'll bring our mountain bikes and be on the 6:25 ferry which should get us to Granite Falls somewhere between 8:00-8:30, depending on whether the ferry is on time, traffic, etc. It should be noted that we are using Google Maps for the time estimate and Google can be somewhat conservative with driving times. For comparison, according to Google's estimate, you will not arrive until around 8:30. In this case, the estimate looks fairly reasonable, so we are going to assume you may like to keep the right-hand pedal under some pressure. We like to use a more moderate touch, so let us know if 8-8:30 is too late, because we have no desire to take the earlier 5:35 ferry.

If the time is agreeable, where is the meeting point going to be? The Masonic Park?

Between 0800 & 0830 is fine. Belleterre is grabbing the 0605 Southworth boat.

The meeting point is N48 06.913 W121 54.241, somewhere near the entrance to the Masonic Park, I've never been there before so I can't give you any better info than that.

When you get to Granite Falls give me a call, hopefully there's cell coverage.

My cells is

Edited by LandRover

Between 0800 & 0830 is fine. Belleterre is grabbing the 0605 Southworth boat.

The meeting point is N48 06.913 W121 54.241, somewhere near the entrance to the Masonic Park, I've never been there before so I can't give you any better info than that.

When you get to Granite Falls give me a call, hopefully there's cell coverage.

Sorry Fat Fingered Typo

Edited by LandRover