Hike of the Month 2009

TotemLake

Tomorrow's hike is mapped out at 13.4 miles and 22 caches. This makes it a hiking cache machine. Start time is going to be at 8 AM and will meet up and end at Dude, Where's My Geocache? Target cache is Doughty Falls. Bookmarked.

Track is now included in GPX format.

So far, I have a total headcount of 4 including my brother and LandRover, with Dwoodford meeting up at Big Sky Cache. Anybody else?

Wonder if the length is holding them back? It's not that bad, really! Sorry that I won't make it, but I'll keep my cell phone on, in case you need any help.

That and the fact I did plan it across Dad's day. I was trying to get one planned ahead of my kid and she couldn't work in the day off for it. Oh well. It is what it is.

10 1/2 hours and an estimated 15 miles. Two beers and two burgers down and I'm feelng good.

Tomorrow's hike is mapped out at 13.4 miles and 22 caches. This makes it a hiking cache machine. Start time is going to be at 8 AM and will meet up and end at Dude, Where's My Geocache? Target cache is Doughty Falls. Bookmarked.

So far, I have a total headcount of 4 including my brother and LandRover, with Dwoodford meeting up at Big Sky Cache. Anybody else?

Wonder if the length is holding them back? It's not that bad, really! Sorry that I won't make it, but I'll keep my cell phone on, in case you need any help.

That and the fact I did plan it across Dad's day. I was trying to get one planned ahead of my kid and she couldn't work in the day off for it. Oh well. It is what it is.

10 1/2 hours and an estimated 15 miles. Two beers and two burgers down and I'm feelng good.

So I can turn off the cell phone now? :) Can't wait to read about it and see photos. I bet you got some rain, and how 'bout that thunder! I had a strike over my house that set off the smoke detectors and gave that nice ozone smell. :)

So I can turn off the cell phone now? ;) Can't wait to read about it and see photos. I bet you got some rain, and how 'bout that thunder! I had a strike over my house that set off the smoke detectors and gave that nice ozone smell. <_<

We did get rain, and I saw at least two lightning strikes.

Now that I'm taking a vacation break, I'll get pictures posted this week for the last couple of hikes.

New hike for July! I've been inspired by the other thread about not found caches and located one worthy of a hike to go after. Rainy Lake has an opportunity of being found for the first time since it was placed by Forty-n-Eight last November. There will be other caches along the way, but that's the target. July 25th is the date. Stay tuned for details.

Now that I'm taking a vacation break, I'll get pictures posted this week for the last couple of hikes.

New hike for July! I've been inspired by the other thread about not found caches and located one worthy of a hike to go after. Rainy Lake has an opportunity of being found for the first time since it was placed by Forty-n-Eight last November. There will be other caches along the way, but that's the target. July 25th is the date. Stay tuned for details.

The trail up there to Rainy Lake is mapped in NW Trails.

Don't be surprised if someone "finds" it before the 25th. Not me, but just saying...

Edited by SamSpade47

Even though it's the day before my Summer Picnic, and I'm not in great shape, I really want to do this one. I vividly remember my trek up there with alciato in late November 2007. There were no caches then (now there are three, one en route and two at the lake), and he wanted to be the first. We crossed the slippery, icy bridge, the slippery icy creeks, and climbed and climbed, and when the trail ran out, started bushwhacking in the cold, wet, and snow. We got higher than the lake (we could see a glimpse), but our turnaround time came before we ever found the right route (no NW Trails to help out then). Placed the cache on the way back down (will be interesting to see how close it is/was to the Halfway one there now). Managed to skate across the creeks just before dark.

Alciato never did publish that cache, so the Raine coin I dropped in is still up there somewhere. I think we should drag him with us... :o

Edited by hydnsek

I am interested but unsure if I will be able to make it.

Even though it's the day before my Summer Picnic, and I'm not in great shape, I really want to do this one. I vividly remember my trek up there with alciato in late November 2007. There were no caches then (now there are three, one en route and two at the lake), and he wanted to be the first. We crossed the slippery, icy bridge, the slippery icy creeks, and climbed and climbed, and when the trail ran out, started bushwhacking in the cold, wet, and snow. We got higher than the lake (we could see a glimpse), but our turnaround time came before we ever found the right route (no NW Trails to help out then). Placed the cache on the way back down (will be interesting to see how close it is/was to the Halfway one there now). Managed to skate across the creeks just before dark.

Alciato never did publish that cache, so the Raine coin I dropped in is still up there somewhere. I think we should drag him with us... :(

Which is why I didn't schedule for the 26th. I also didn't want to take time away from my wife on our vacation this week so I'm stuck with the one day left in this month after all my commitments were in place. Besides, this gives us a war story to talk about on the 26th. :D

Anyway, looks like we can turn this into a rescue misstion eh?

Andrew! Sorry you might not be able to make it!

The trail up there to Rainy Lake is mapped in NW Trails.

Don't be surprised if someone "finds" it before the 25th. Not me, but just saying...

Now come on... It would be nice if this was a group effort. :(

It's not the first time this happened. (Hydnsek can attest to that. :D )

In the spirit of fair play, I should let you know I'll be heading to Preacher Mountain before the 25th and since the route runs via Rainy Lake my compatriots will likely FTF my cache up there. Don't let that discourage you as it's a beautiful climb along the creek.

On a related subject, the alciato cache contains one of my Washington Quarter geocoins that has now been in his unpublished cache for over a year and a half (boo, hiss). I have asked him repeatedly for the coords and even after publicly shaming him at the GPS Maze I still don't have 'em. Abby, do you know where his cache is? I'd sure like to get my coin traveling again.

In the spirit of fair play, I should let you know I'll be heading to Preacher Mountain before the 25th and since the route runs via Rainy Lake my compatriots will likely FTF my cache up there. Don't let that discourage you as it's a beautiful climb along the creek.

On a related subject, the alciato cache contains one of my Washington Quarter geocoins that has now been in his unpublished cache for over a year and a half (boo, hiss). I have asked him repeatedly for the coords and even after publicly shaming him at the GPS Maze I still don't have 'em. Abby, do you know where his cache is? I'd sure like to get my coin traveling again.

Thanks for the advisement but I wasn't really worried if we were FTF or not. Hope y'all have fun!

No, I don't have coords for where alciato placed his unpublished cache, and after two years, my visual memory is likely to be poor. At the base of a large tree (back side) on the right side of the trail as you're headed up, about halfway to the lake, on a flattish section of trail near a bend/intersection. I bet that's just incredibly helpful. :( I've emailed alciato about this trip and the coords to his cache, and I'll try to pry them out of him (if he still has them). I'd forgotten there were two coins in the cache.

Edited by hydnsek

That's to be one VERY Long Hike as the Middle Fork is closed at the 12.5 milepost Bridge.

I just stopped in at the Ranger station and that is what I was told, No 4x4 can get back there. :(

Isn't that just after the parking area that heads up to Stegasauras Butte cache?

Looking at a map it seems that that should be open up to the parking area at least. Of course I could be remembering the wrong bridge.

That's to be one VERY Long Hike as the Middle Fork is closed at the 12.5 milepost Bridge.

I just stopped in at the Ranger station and that is what I was told, No 4x4 can get back there. :(

Isn't that just after the parking area that heads up to Stegasauras Butte cache?

Looking at a map it seems that that should be open up to the parking area at least. Of course I could be remembering the wrong bridge.

Andrew, I think you're right. The start for Rainy Lake (and Stegosaurus Butte) is the Middle Fork Trailhead, which is open according to the lady at the North Bend Ranger Station. The Taylor River Bridge is out so the TH's further out are inaccessable.

Road closure is at this bridge where the Kayakers put in.

Trail to Rainy Lake is on the other side of Bridge to which one can not get too.

The ranger and Myself went over the road area and also reviewed the map showing Rainy which is far beyond the closure.

Jersey barriers block access just before bridge

imagepec.jpg

You might have your bridges mixed up. Here are two links indicating the road to the Middle Fork TH (the start to Rainy Lake) is open:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/mbs/news/2009/midd...d-closure.shtml

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7976104

I guess that's the last time I listen to the North Bend Ranger Station folks.

I wonder if they ever actually get out to check these areas?

I think you just happened on a mis-informed one. I spoke to a woman there who gave me accurate info. Don't write 'em all off!

You could end up talking to my dad! He's the Radio Tech, though, so you're not likely to actually end up doing so.

I'm in.

Glad this one's on a Saturday so my knee will have a day to somewhat recover before Monday.

I finally got in to see the orthopedic surgeon and he says just give him a call when I want to schedule the repair on my meniscus so I think I'll probably wait until September / October before going in, unless it gets significantly worse.

I'm in.

Glad this one's on a Saturday so my knee will have a day to somewhat recover before Monday.

I finally got in to see the orthopedic surgeon and he says just give him a call when I want to schedule the repair on my meniscus so I think I'll probably wait until September / October before going in, unless it gets significantly worse.

I had that done a bit over a year ago. I was back in full form (as much as that is) within a week. I was walking around the neighborhood, including up and down stairs, the next day.

I may have to have mine replaced, but that is a different cause.

Just to let you know, the road does go all the way to the TH. The distance to the lake is more like 10 miles RT (it took us 4 hours in, 3:15 out. There are some very steep sections, but a mostly dry trail). And we had a mini-convention at the lake, three groups of cachers arrived within an hour of each other (Rockitbiker & Jaded, Blooming Idiot and myself, and CCIJT (?)).

Edited by The Jester

Just to let you know, the road does go all the way to the TH. The distance to the lake is more like 10 miles RT (it took us 4 hours in, 3:15 out. There are some very steep sections, but a mostly dry trail). And we had a mini-convention at the lake, three groups of caches arrived within an hour of each other (Rockitbiker & Jaded, Blooming Idiot and myself, and CCIJT (?)).

Good news on the road, congrats on the finds, and who'da thunk so many folks would be in the middle of nowhere simultaneously. :P but I may have to reconsider this HOTM, as I'm hosting a major event the following day and don't want to be completely drained.

But the real question is....did any of the groups find alciato's unpublished cache? :P

Edited by hydnsek

Just to let you know, the road does go all the way to the TH. The distance to the lake is more like 10 miles RT (it took us 4 hours in, 3:15 out. There are some very steep sections, but a mostly dry trail). And we had a mini-convention at the lake, three groups of caches arrived within an hour of each other (Rockitbiker & Jaded, Blooming Idiot and myself, and CCIJT (?)).

Good news on the road, congrats on the finds, and who'da thunk so many folks would be in the middle of nowhere simultaneously. :P but I may have to reconsider this HOTM, as I'm hosting a major event the following day and don't want to be completely drained.

But the real question is....did any of the groups find alciato's unpublished cache? :P

We looked but didn't find it. I guess he wants my coin to sit in his unpublished cache forever.

There are a lot of trees to be looking at... And "behind a big tree" - how big is a big tree? I poked around a few, but didn't take (or have) the time to really search. Some of the trees have done the fall down, go boom action (a couple of the biggest), so that could make it interesting (it made parts of the trail interesting...).

Considering the different driving skills that will be involved, I intend to be N47° 28.3727'

W121° 42.6731' by 6AM if anybody wants to meet up there before heading any further. I'll be leaving that point at about 6:20.

I will be monitoring FRS2 and 146.52 as well as the North Bend repeater 441.775. PM me if you want my cell phone but I don't know what the reception is out there.

Edited by TotemLake

Oh man... I just saw the weather report. Why oh why do we always do these hikes on the hotest days of the year. :D Reminds me of the TMT without all the water breaks.

94 on Saturday :laughing:

Edit: So if you are meeting there at 6, what is the official start time and where.

I am guessing 7am at the middle fork trailhead?

Edited by AndrewRJ

Oh man... I just saw the weather report. Why oh why do we always do these hikes on the hotest days of the year. :laughing: Reminds me of the TMT without all the water breaks.

94 on Saturday ;)

Edit: So if you are meeting there at 6, what is the official start time and where.

I am guessing 7am at the middle fork trailhead?

It just keeps getting better and better doesn't it? :D At least with an early start we won't be in the heat of the sun until the descent. That river is going to look good and inviting towards the end. ;)

Yah I expect to get to the trailhead by 7AM and allow time for stragglers. Jump off time at the trailhead will be about 7:20 unless all attending are agreed all are on site. :D

Due to the expected heat, I'm leaving my geopuppy behind.

Considering the different driving skills that will be involved, I intend to be N47° 28.3727'

W121° 42.6731' by 6AM if anybody wants to meet up there before heading any further. I'll be leaving that point at about 6:20.

I will be monitoring FRS2 and 146.52 as well as the North Bend repeater 441.775. PM me if you want my cell phone but I don't know what the reception is out there.

Given I havn't been on any of the hikes with you guys yet, but do you always get off to such and early start? For me to even get there at 6:20 I would have to camp there. :D

Totem, what area do you normally try and setup the hikes in? I would love to join you, but this one is about 2-3 hours drive from me.

Given I havn't been on any of the hikes with you guys yet, but do you always get off to such and early start? For me to even get there at 6:20 I would have to camp there. :laughing:

Totem, what area do you normally try and setup the hikes in? I would love to join you, but this one is about 2-3 hours drive from me.

I typically make a 8-9Am start time. Exceptions are based on anticipated travel time and weather report. The TMT (Tiger Mountain Trail) hike Andrew alluded to was on a similarly hot day and we suffered for it although we did start 8-830ish.

I try to get a good spread across but it appears I've been targeting the North Cascades quite a bit this year. I have been remiss on the dry side as well as further south with the same problem as you; the further I have to drive the earlier I have to get started. :D I have been known to be out the door at 4AM for a 9AM start time and I have also been known to bully suffer my way through rush hour to make the distant drive for an overnighter and hike.

I typically make a 8-9Am start time. Exceptions are based on anticipated travel time and weather report. The TMT (Tiger Mountain Trail) hike Andrew alluded to was on a similarly hot day and we suffered for it although we did start 8-830ish.

I try to get a good spread across but it appears I've been targeting the North Cascades quite a bit this year. I have been remiss on the dry side as well as further south with the same problem as you; the further I have to drive the earlier I have to get started. :D I have been known to be out the door at 4AM for a 9AM start time and I have also been known to bully suffer my way through rush hour to make the distant drive for an overnighter and hike.

Your commitment is admirable. I guess I have never been one to get up that early for stuff, I enjoy my sleep to much. Although I am all for a great sunset and relaxing evening. :D I will say that the calm of the morning when I have been camping is really amazing in some remote locations.

I was thinking of trying to setup some hikes in the Columbia River Gorge. There are some AMAZING waterfalls as well as a mix of caches all along the different trails.

I try to get a good spread across but it appears I've been targeting the North Cascades quite a bit this year. I have been remiss on the dry side as well as further south with the same problem as you; the further I have to drive the earlier I have to get started. :rolleyes: I have been known to be out the door at 4AM for a 9AM start time and I have also been known to bully suffer my way through rush hour to make the distant drive for an overnighter and hike.

Your commitment is admirable. I guess I have never been one to get up that early for stuff, I enjoy my sleep to much. Although I am all for a great sunset and relaxing evening. :blink: I will say that the calm of the morning when I have been camping is really amazing in some remote locations.

I was thinking of trying to setup some hikes in the Columbia River Gorge. There are some AMAZING waterfalls as well as a mix of caches all along the different trails.

I have learned a few years back the views are worth the extra effort most of the time. That, and the cameraderie I have grown to appreciate. There's been a couple of solo hikes where scheduling conflicts or distance was a factor, but I don't let that deter me. About the only thing that stops me from going is my Jeep breaking down or being stolen, and even the theft didn't stop me, it just slowed me down. :D Throwing out my back stopped me from progressing any further on that particular snowshoe hike. :laughing::D

Throwing out my back stopped me from progressing any further on that particular snowshoe hike. :blink::rolleyes:

As did breaking your foot (ankle?). How quickly they forget when there are mountain trails to be explored. :D

:D Now now, if you recall, that was on the way out, and merely slowed me down. :laughing:

I'm blaming the doctor for telling me I couldn't hike anymore with it for the duration.

Oh and it was the fibula just above the ankle.

Edited by TotemLake

You'll want plenty of water for the Rainy Lake hike. A filter (or two, three...) would be best. The first mile or so (also the last on the way out...) has good access to river/stream, the middle section you can work your way down to the stream occasionally, the upper section (from the midway cache on) you cross small streams every once and a while. We used 50oz CamelBak's and refilled at the lake (plus the quart of drink we split at lunch) and that did us OK - but then it sounds like your trip will be hotter.

Given I havn't been on any of the hikes with you guys yet, but do you always get off to such and early start? For me to even get there at 6:20 I would have to camp there.

As a climber, I think you guys are starting pretty late in the day...

Many climbs start at 5 or 6am...

Except the big volcano's - they start between 12 midnight and 2am...

You'll want plenty of water for the Rainy Lake hike. A filter (or two, three...) would be best. The first mile or so (also the last on the way out...) has good access to river/stream, the middle section you can work your way down to the stream occasionally, the upper section (from the midway cache on) you cross small streams every once and a while. We used 50oz CamelBak's and refilled at the lake (plus the quart of drink we split at lunch) and that did us OK - but then it sounds like your trip will be hotter.

Given I havn't been on any of the hikes with you guys yet, but do you always get off to such and early start? For me to even get there at 6:20 I would have to camp there.

When you are talking about hikes, are you talking about 10-12 hours? Or longer? I normally look at a long hike as being 6-8 hours, which getting started at 8am or so would give you a good amount of time with time before and after.

I think that I just havn't been hiking much to really get a feel for what is a long hike. I will keep an eye on this thread for more info on future hikes, I would love to join you guys.

When you are talking about hikes, are you talking about 10-12 hours? Or longer? I normally look at a long hike as being 6-8 hours, which getting started at 8am or so would give you a good amount of time with time before and after.

I think that I just havn't been hiking much to really get a feel for what is a long hike. I will keep an eye on this thread for more info on future hikes, I would love to join you guys.

The HOTMs vary in length and physicality. Some are 3-4 hours; others are all-day (8 hours or so, plus driving to a remote location). In this case (Rainy Lake), the hike is long and quite strenuous, plus a heat wave is forecast which should slow the pace. TotemLake doesn't usually start his hikes quite so early, but my bet is that he's ensuring they have plenty of time at a leisurely pace, and trying to avoid peak heat on the upward trajectory. He's an excellent planner that way. My 2 cents as a previous participant.

The HOTMs vary in length and physicality. Some are 3-4 hours; others are all-day (8 hours or so, plus driving to a remote location). In this case (Rainy Lake), the hike is long and quite strenuous, plus a heat wave is forecast which should slow the pace. TotemLake doesn't usually start his hikes quite so early, but my bet is that he's ensuring they have plenty of time at a leisurely pace, and trying to avoid peak heat on the upward trajectory. He's an excellent planner that way. My 2 cents as a previous participant.

That's about it in a nutshell.

Typically, I try to include a mix of hikes for different hiking skills. Typically.

This year is an endurance builder for some of next year's hikes. That isn't to say or discourage anybody just breaking out into it. If they are unable to keep a high pace, I try to keep the pace to their level with strong memories and appreciation for the folks that did the same for me when I first started.

:D Duh, put this in the wrong place the first time....

If I can get a Chore Pass, I'd like to tag along on another HOTM.

But my problem is also Transportation to the site. I could meet someone in the North Bend QFC parking lot at about 0530.

Does anyone have a spare seat?

I would know for sure if I can get released Friday afternoon.

Give me coordinates and I'll be there.

But my problem is also Transportation to the site. I could meet someone in the North Bend QFC parking lot at about 0530.

N 47 29.579, W 121 46.852, from Google Earth, and converted with FizzyCalc.

N 47 29.579, W 121 46.852, from Google Earth, and converted with FizzyCalc.

Thanks! See you there MtnMutt!