Hike of the Month 2009

TotemLake

Sorry, I didn't make the Moss Lake HOTM. I did wander out Friday and got to see 2 deer, one very Large Tan Faced Black Bear prior to Mrs ARJ's Cache and later on at the beginning of Orange Arrow Trail 2 smaller Black Bears.

I may try to make the next one.

Wow! We must have been too noisy. Did see a thing except a few birds.

Now as I review my cords, I FAT Fingered one and the other I didn't have my notes in accord so back I'll go to complete the quest.

I also see a CACHE I must do but can not accomplish unless I see a VERSION 2 Moun10bike coin or someone graciously sents me a photo so as I can grab those digits to solve the mystery puzzle. I cannot locate one but I know that several exist in our NW area.

Can anyone help the Mutt? :laughing:

Until further notice, my Jeep is down for serious electrical issues and I will not be able to continue setting up hikes until I can resolve this. :ph34r:

If anybody wants to pick up the ball and run with this, please be my guest.

Well okay.

We are hiking up Mt. Si outside North Bend on Saturday (May 30th) if anyone wants to join us. Weather should be warm and clear for some great views up there. Looks like about 6-8 caches also.

Until further notice, my Jeep is down for serious electrical issues and I will not be able to continue setting up hikes until I can resolve this. :ph34r:

Well okay.

We are hiking up Mt. Si outside North Bend on Saturday (May 30th) if anyone wants to join us. Weather should be warm and clear for some great views up there. Looks like about 6-8 caches also.

Up and down the same route or the loop?

We haven't been up there before but I was studying the map someone provided to Jon for the NW Trails Project and it looks like if you make a loop by going up Si and then coming down the trail between Si and Teneriffe, you can hike by 6-8 caches.

So, yes, we were going to do a loop so we can find caches going up and down.

Edited by GrnXnham

We haven't been up there before but I was studying the map someone provided to Jon for the NW Trails Project and it looks like if you make a loop by going up Si and then coming down the trail between Si and Teneriffe, you can hike by 6-8 caches.

Correct, I've done that loop before (with grossi and AnalogDog, if I recall correctly). It's a good leg stretcher.

So, yes, we were going to do a loop so we can find caches going up and down.

Looks like it will be a bit too much for me. I am still recovering from a sprained ankle and don't want to over stress it at this point.

HAve fun though. That is a wonderfull hike. Also don't forget about the terracache on top if you do that kind of thing.

Until further notice, my Jeep is down for serious electrical issues and I will not be able to continue setting up hikes until I can resolve this. :D

Problem resolved. I'm on again for June 21 Cougar Mtn. I'll have details up this weekend. But don't let this stop folks from making other plans on this thread. I'm all for seeing more activity like this.

Edited by TotemLake

Until further notice, my Jeep is down for serious electrical issues and I will not be able to continue setting up hikes until I can resolve this. :D

Problem resolved. I'm on again for June 21 Cougar Mtn. I'll have details up this weekend. But don't let this stop folks from making other plans on this thread. I'm all for seeing more activity like this.

Great to hear!

Not sure what section of the park you're aiming for, but at Red Town, note that three caches - Turntable, North Creek Falls, and Twisted Bridge - will be unavailable. Normally, they'd be at the top of my suggestion list, as that's a great stretch of trail with a lot of history, but the upper section of Coal Creek Trail, where they are located, will be closed June 15 - Aug 15 for reconstruction.

Edited by hydnsek

Until further notice, my Jeep is down for serious electrical issues and I will not be able to continue setting up hikes until I can resolve this. :P

Great to hear!

Not sure what section of the park you're aiming for, but at Red Town, note that three caches - Turntable, North Creek Falls, and Twisted Bridge - will be unavailable. Normally, they'd be at the top of my suggestion list, as that's a great stretch of trail with a lot of history, but the upper section of Coal Creek Trail, where they are located, will be closed June 15 - Aug 15 for reconstruction.

Good to know. Thanks!

McClellan Butte for July HOTM... just throwing it out there.

Aye. I'll throw out Mt Washington along I-90. Ton o' caches there.

I will readily admit that I am not an experienced mountain climber, but isn't Mt. Washington on the Olympic Penninsula north of Lake Cushman?

I will readily admit that I am not an experienced mountain climber, but isn't Mt. Washington on the Olympic Penninsula north of Lake Cushman?

Many places in Washington have the same name. There are at least two Blue Lakes, three Table Mountains, and two Mount Washingtons. The one I'm referencing is just west of McClellan Butte (off I-90) and has a dozen or so caches on it, including Mt Washington.

Many places in Washington have the same name. There are at least two Blue Lakes, three Table Mountains, and two Mount Washingtons. The one I'm referencing is just west of McClellan Butte (off I-90) and has a dozen or so caches on it, including Mt Washington.

I knew you would have the answer but I wasn't bright enough to find it. Thanks!

Wow, that is one ambitious hike! Starting from the lowest trailhead (Wilderness Creek), traversing the park to Big Sky trailhead, then back, and bagging half the park's horde of caches. Sounds like a fun time in a very cool park, at a great time of year. :D

Assuming you plan to get Dude, Where's My Geocache?, which is a puzzle cache with posted coords at the Wilderness Creek TH, then I don't think I'm giving anything away to say Texas Loosey should be added to your list. :D

P.S. Obviously, you can't get all the caches, but too bad Skunk Cabbage and Is That a Treehouse? didn't make the list, as they are both nifty spots.

P.P.S. If anybody wants a bookmark list of all the caches on Cougar Mountain: Caching Cougar Mountain. Currently about 50 caches, counting those in contiguous park lands.

Edited by hydnsek

Wow, that is one ambitious hike! Starting from the lowest trailhead (Wilderness Creek), traversing the park to Big Sky trailhead, then back, and bagging half the park's horde of caches. Sounds like a fun time in a very cool park, at a great time of year. :o

Assuming you plan to get Dude, Where's My Geocache?, which is a puzzle cache with posted coords at the Wilderness Creek TH, then I don't think I'm giving anything away to say Texas Loosey should be added to your list. :laughing:

P.S. Obviously, you can't get all the caches, but too bad Skunk Cabbage and Is That a Treehouse? didn't make the list, as they are both nifty spots.

P.P.S. If anybody wants a bookmark list of all the caches on Cougar Mountain: Caching Cougar Mountain. Currently about 50 caches, counting those in contiguous park lands.

I really wanted to try to get Is That a Treehouse, but I just couldn't fit it in and still keep the trackbacks to a miniumum and the Maple Cathedral won out. :lol: I'll be trying to gain a TB for the coordinates to Dude Where's My Cache? either Thursday or Saturday. I'm keeping track of the bugs' locations.

Sorry to see two dropouts already.

I'll be there. Not that it really matters but do you plan on going clock-wise or anti-clockwise?

I'm thinking counterclockwise. I'm not entirely sure of the water source at the duck pond, but I'm thinking I want nice cold water to refill with towards the end of the day by the time I reach the falls.

I'll be there. Not that it really matters but do you plan on going clock-wise or anti-clockwise?

I'm thinking counterclockwise. I'm not entirely sure of the water source at the duck pond, but I'm thinking I want nice cold water to refill with towards the end of the day by the time I reach the falls.

That's some black water in the duck pond, but it is water. The most reliable creek is Coal Creek, which runs over Coal Creek Falls, where 48 Hours is (not on your hike, tho). The smaller streams at Far Country Falls and Doughty Falls should also have some water. Might be hard to get water at Doughty Falls itself, but you have to cross Cabbage Creek to reach the falls. Hopefully, they still will have water after very little rain of late. You may also find other small streams along the way.

Edited by hydnsek

That's some black water in the duck pond, but it is water. The most reliable creek is Coal Creek, which runs over Coal Creek Falls, where 48 Hours is (not on your hike, tho). The smaller streams at Far Country Falls and Doughty Falls should also have some water. Might be hard to get water at Doughty Falls itself, but you have to cross Cabbage Creek to reach the falls. Hopefully, they still will have water after very little rain of late. You may also find other small streams along the way.

Got a filter??? I wouldn't drink any of that water without a filter or other water purification system. Also, I recall there is a creek crossing just east of the meadow ( where The Old Ballfield cache is) near Red Town.

Edited by Dwoodford

Got a filter??? I wouldn't drink any of that water without a filter or other water purification system. Also, I recall there is a creek crossing just east of the meadow ( where The Old Ballfield cache is) near Red Town.

What a silly question. :D I don't leave home without it.

Edited by TotemLake

What a silly question. :anicute: I don't leave home without it.

Really. I remember at the TMT hike a year ago, we had like 8 water filters pumping simultaneously, more than once. :D

What a silly question. :) I don't leave home without it.

Really. I remember at the TMT hike a year ago, we had like 8 water filters pumping simultaneously, more than once. :(

I'll have my filter with me but not sure I'll subject it to the duck pond, I've seen that water. :(

I'll have my filter with me but not sure I'll subject it to the duck pond, I've seen that water. :(

Which is why if we go by that one early in the day, the need for water replenishment probably will be low. If we ended up there late in the day, the need for water will be much higher and I'd rather not risk filtering black water even with my filter even though it's heftier than most y'all carry.

If need be, we can always alter our route to head for a known good water source. The loop was mapped to maximize distance with minimal backtracking in mind.

Edited by TotemLake

Just a heads up that the Livestrong Bicycle Challenge is this Sunday (HOTM/Father's Day). Drivers can expect slowdowns throughout the day while sharing the road with the cyclists.

It will run through the East Side, including Newcastle and sections of roads you may be traveling: Coal Creek Pkwy, Newcastle Way, Newcastle Golf Club Road (several Cougar access points), Lakemont Blvd, May Valley Road, Lake Washington Blvd, and Issaquah-Hobart Rd.

It doesn't run along Hwy 900 (Renton-Issaquah Rd.), where Wilderness Creek TH is, but as you can see, it runs along connecting roads.

PDF route map

Just a heads up that the Livestrong Bicycle Challenge is this Sunday (HOTM/Father's Day). Drivers can expect slowdowns throughout the day while sharing the road with the cyclists.

It will run through the East Side, including Newcastle and sections of roads you may be traveling: Coal Creek Pkwy, Newcastle Way, Newcastle Golf Club Road (several Cougar access points), Lakemont Blvd, May Valley Road, Lake Washington Blvd, and Issaquah-Hobart Rd.

It doesn't run along Hwy 900 (Renton-Issaquah Rd.), where Wilderness Creek TH is, but as you can see, it runs along connecting roads.

PDF route map

Start time is from Seattle Center at 8AM (sorry) 7AM and they are expected to start passing by Cougar Mtn by about 9:30sh after circling Mercer Island depending on how strong these riders are.

I've got a buddy that's in it.

Link

Edited by TotemLake

:D DARN IT!

DANG!

"Interjections! Show excitement, or emotion. They're generally set apart from a sentence by an exclamation point, Or by a comma when the feeling's not as strong." :rolleyes:

So...not really trying to take this off topic, but just out of curiosity, did no one understand my reference or just not care? Just so I know...

Since I met someone yesterday that didn't know it...in case it's the former: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhHpJ45_zwM

DANG!

"Interjections! Show excitement, or emotion. They're generally set apart from a sentence by an exclamation point, Or by a comma when the feeling's not as strong." :rolleyes:

So...not really trying to take this off topic, but just out of curiosity, did no one understand my reference or just not care? Just so I know...

Since I met someone yesterday that didn't know it...in case it's the former: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhHpJ45_zwM

You can put me down in the 'didn't have a clue' column. Now I do.

DANG!

You can put me down in the 'didn't have a clue' column. Now I do.

I will admit to not having a clue. flask would love this.

Tomorrow's hike is mapped out at 13.4 miles and 22 caches. This makes it a hiking cache machine. Start time is going to be at 8 AM and will meet up and end at Dude, Where's My Geocache? Target cache is Doughty Falls. Bookmarked.

Track is now included in GPX format.

So far, I have a total headcount of 4 including my brother and LandRover, with Dwoodford meeting up at Big Sky Cache. Anybody else?

Tomorrow's hike is mapped out at 13.4 miles and 22 caches. This makes it a hiking cache machine. Start time is going to be at 8 AM and will meet up and end at Dude, Where's My Geocache? Target cache is Doughty Falls. Bookmarked.

So far, I have a total headcount of 4 including my brother and LandRover, with Dwoodford meeting up at Big Sky Cache. Anybody else?

This sounds like a wonderful trek in a park with some great scenery, history, and caches (if I do say so myself). Surprised not to see more folks going. Wonder if the length is holding them back? It's not that bad, really! Sorry that I won't make it, but I'll keep my cell phone on, in case you need any help.

Having just been a victim of the annual Hwy 520 bridge closure, wanted to remind anyone coming from the Seattle direction that Hwy 520 is closed all weekend for its annual inspection. So plan ahead, because I-90 is practically a parking lot (speaking from experience this morning).

Edited by hydnsek

Wonder if the length is holding them back? It's not that bad, really! Sorry that I won't make it, but I'll keep my cell phone on, in case you need any help.

That and the fact I did plan it across Dad's day. I was trying to get one planned ahead of my kid and she couldn't work in the day off for it. Oh well. It is what it is.