Hike of the Month 2009

TotemLake

Did anyone keep account of the number of ferns which were harm in the accomplishment of this HOTM?

:D You had to be there to understand that line.

Not sure about those ferns but my knee is a bit unhappy after my little fall near central peak. Just glad to do my part as a HOTM rookie and take one for the team. :unsure:

Definitely more than a few muscles reminding me where they are today. Tomorrow will be even more fun.

I still think we should have hotwired the Kubota. :yikes:

Did anyone keep account of the number of ferns which were harm in the accomplishment of this HOTM?

:D You had to be there to understand that line.

Not sure about those ferns but my knee is a bit unhappy after my little fall near central peak. Just glad to do my part as a HOTM rookie and take one for the team. :unsure:

Definitely more than a few muscles reminding me where they are today. Tomorrow will be even more fun.

I still think we should have hotwired the Kubota. :yikes:

I was tempted. My right knee is reminding me the escalator is the best method to travel right now.

My track without corrections show 11.67 miles. I haven't compared it against Cstmfrmr's track yet but I will have that comparison up sometime this week. For now, I'll be busy logging the caches and then posting the pics. Keep tuned for the group pic.

I was tempted. My right knee is reminding me the escalator is the best method to travel right now.

My track without corrections show 11.67 miles. I haven't compared it against Cstmfrmr's track yet but I will have that comparison up sometime this week. For now, I'll be busy logging the caches and then posting the pics. Keep tuned for the group pic.

My corrected track log showed 10.9 miles, but I decided not to do the romp down to the Kabota and back.

Hey... It was nice to meet all you guys up there at the Crazy Monkey Tripod Cache. Interesting cache to say the least. My hike only ended up being ~7 miles. I had come in from down near Squak Visit cache and came up to the top, hit all those up there, hit Tye Mill on the way out... My black dog usually limps around for a couple of days following a 4 or 5 mile hike (that's why I didn't join you for the planned 10 miles). Anyway, even after the ~7 miles she was fine the next day. I'm pretty happy with that. I had never been up to Squak Mt. Park before, it's a pretty nice place. I sure wouldn't want to go up there without the GPS and the NW Trails maps loaded. Seems like it's just a maze of trails up there. I look forward to next time...

Edited by SamSpade47

Next hike is called Mum's the Word. It is scheduled for Mom's day on May 10. My Mom has been on these trails quite a bit by horseback and had bandied some ideas. We settled on Moss Lake. Three caches are bookmarked. This trail is short and easy with a modest elevation gain.

I'm gauging the start time based on who is joining and general walking speed of your Mom. My Mom has made the distance, but she's more active than most at her age (don't ask it ain't polite but I'm 51).

Some stats to work with.

Total elevation gain for the optional cache is 645 feet. Otherwise, the expected elevation gain in either direction is about 50-60 feet.

The total hike to the optional cache is 1.4 miles one way.

I'd like to time this for a lunch break where the kids serve up their Mom's in some similarity of style. Lunch break can be at the apex of the hike or back at the cars or even back at the lake. There are no picnic facilities which means we pack it in, we pack it out. There is a restroom at the parking lot.

Map with profile.

Edited by TotemLake

Next hike is called Mum's the Word. It is scheduled for Mom's day on May 10. My Mom has been on these trails quite a bit by horseback and had bandied some ideas. We settled on Moss Lake. Three caches are bookmarked. This trail is short and easy with a modest elevation gain.

I'm gauging the start time based on who is joining and general walking speed of your Mom.

Any chance we could coordinate this with avroair's Cache Safari meet-n-greet in Issaquah, which is 11:00 - 1:00? I notice some respondents to that, including me, ideally would like to do both, as avroair just moved here from back east and we'd like to meet him and celebrate his daughter's 1st birthday...then go hiking. :sad: Heck, maybe we could get avroair to join us, if the two events didn't overlap.

Edited by hydnsek

I'm gauging the start time based on who is joining and general walking speed of your Mom.

Any chance we could coordinate this with avroair's Cache Safari meet-n-greet in Issaquah, which is 11:00 - 1:00? I notice some respondents to that, including me, ideally would like to do both, as avroair just moved here from back east and we'd like to meet him and celebrate his daughter's 1st birthday...then go hiking. :sad: Heck, maybe we could get avroair to join us, if the two events didn't overlap.

I'm in conflict. I made these arrangments with my Mom on the phone.

Edited by TotemLake

Next hike is called Mum's the Word. It is scheduled for Mom's day on May 10.

This one is practically in our backyard, so we plan to join you. Neither mom will be with us, however. Hopefully we will be able to keep up with your mom. :sad:

No mom for me either, but I plan to be there for at least the first two (and another nearby)...the walk will depend...or maybe I'll wait and just get lunch (whatever it is) ready...

As much as I would like to accomodate the event of our new residents (I do want to meet them), I'm inclined to stick to the main plan and perhaps start this with a meetup at 10AM so we can be back at the trailhead for lunch.

What would be ETA back at the trailhead afterward? I mean, if we start early enough, some of us could go to Issaquah afterward, instead of before....

As much as I would like to accomodate the event of our new residents (I do want to meet them), I'm inclined to stick to the main plan and perhaps start this with a meetup at 10AM so we can be back at the trailhead for lunch.

What would be ETA back at the trailhead afterward? I mean, if we start early enough, some of us could go to Issaquah afterward, instead of before....

That depends entirely on the turnback point. Mom can take the entire loop which we ultimately want to do, but I can't speak for LandRover's Mom. I'll put it to you this way, if you feel you need to forage ahead to grab the caches and/or turn back early, our feelings won't be hurt. :D It still counts as an HOTM. :D

Trail conditions I was going to post yesterday were going to be favorable, but I'm afraid part of it now may be worse than what was provided to me. (Mom rode her horse through there Monday morning before the storm.) Most of the trail is groomed but there are parts that become mucky when wet.

That depends entirely on the turnback point. Mom can take the entire loop which we ultimately want to do, but I can't speak for LandRover's Mom. I'll put it to you this way, if you feel you need to forage ahead to grab the caches and/or turn back early, our feelings won't be hurt. :D It still counts as an HOTM. :D

Trail conditions I was going to post yesterday were going to be favorable, but I'm afraid part of it now may be worse than what was provided to me. (Mom rode her horse through there Monday morning before the storm.) Most of the trail is groomed but there are parts that become mucky when wet.

I guess I was hinting that if we started a tad earlier, say at 9 am (the usual time), it might dovetail better with the other event, since a few folks wanted to do both. :D Selfishly, I was hoping to do the HOTM with friends as a birthday treat, then meet avroair at his event, but sounds like coordinating the two isn't in the cards. C'est la vie, it's your hike with your mom! I'll share birthday cake with the 1yo in Issaquah. Tasty!

Edited by hydnsek

I guess I was hinting that if we started a tad earlier, say at 9 am (the usual time), it might dovetail better with the other event, since a few folks wanted to do both. :D Selfishly, I was hoping to do the HOTM with friends as a birthday treat, then meet avroair at his event, but sounds like coordinating the two isn't in the cards. C'est la vie, it's your hike with your mom! I'll share birthday cake with the 1yo in Issaquah. Tasty!

This discussion isn't over yet. Stay tuned.

That depends entirely on the turnback point. Mom can take the entire loop which we ultimately want to do, but I can't speak for LandRover's Mom. I'll put it to you this way, if you feel you need to forage ahead to grab the caches and/or turn back early, our feelings won't be hurt. :D It still counts as an HOTM. :huh:

This discussion isn't over yet. Stay tuned.

An earlier time would not be a problem for us, even though we have such a long way to go to get there. :D

I received my HOTM signature item on Sunday, very cool! Sounds like everybody had a good time. Welcome to all the new inductees to the Crazy Monkey Club!

Peace, Nolenator

Wow. Looks like I really have to plan my schedule out now with all the other events getting in the way. :P

The next hike planned (and I have the OK from Mrs TL to do this) is on Sunday, 4/26. Squak Mountain. 5 caches planned and will be bookmarked. Optional 6 if we want to go more than 11 miles roundtrip.

Crazy Monkey Tripod is the targeted cache. Dogs are welcome, cameras are encouraged. We may have some non-cachers with us.

Details to follow soon.

I received my HOTM signature item on Sunday, very cool! Sounds like everybody had a good time. Welcome to all the new inductees to the Crazy Monkey Club!

Peace, Nolenator

Wow. Looks like I really have to plan my schedule out now with all the other events getting in the way. :P

The next hike planned (and I have the OK from Mrs TL to do this) is on Sunday, 4/26. Squak Mountain. 5 caches planned and will be bookmarked. Optional 6 if we want to go more than 11 miles roundtrip.

Crazy Monkey Tripod is the targeted cache. Dogs are welcome, cameras are encouraged. We may have some non-cachers with us.

Details to follow soon.

Awesome. I had to stop about half way up and just catch my breath. I hadn't climbed a ladder like that in a very long time.

I'm gauging the start time based on who is joining and general walking speed of your Mom. My Mom has made the distance, but she's more active than most at her age (don't ask it ain't polite but I'm 51).

Some stats to work with.

Total elevation gain for the optional cache is 645 feet. Otherwise, the expected elevation gain in either direction is about 50-60 feet.

The total hike to the optional cache is 1.4 miles one way.

I'd like to time this for a lunch break where the kids serve up their Mom's in some similarity of style. Lunch break can be at the apex of the hike or back at the cars or even back at the lake. There are no picnic facilities which means we pack it in, we pack it out. There is a restroom at the parking lot.

Map with profile.

Based on off-line conversations, time has changed to meet up at the TH at 0900. Start time 9:15ish or so. We're planning on the full river loop which isn't evident on the NWT project but it's there.

Bookmark has been updated. I'm going to be there at 9AM. Use the Moss Lake Multi for the coordinates to get there.

I have sandwich fixings. Mom's bringing potato salad.

Hydnsek, are you gonna be there, or was the lobbying for naught?

Yes, I'll be there. Had to wait and see how I felt physically. Thanks for changing the time! Looking forward to it!

Well, falling asleep for three hours a few minutes before you want to leave for an 'event' isn't a good way to make it to said event. :anitongue:

I hope everyone had fun...

I've done that. It's heck playing catch up.

The hike as a good one. We had a good crowd, half of them my family and found six out of six caches.

Well, falling asleep for three hours a few minutes before you want to leave for an 'event' isn't a good way to make it to said event. :anitongue:

I hope everyone had fun...

I've done that. It's heck playing catch up.

The hike as a good one. We had a good crowd, half of them my family and found six out of six caches.

It was great! Sorry you missed it, Allanon. Thanks, TotemLake, for moving the time up an hour. I made it down to avroair's event in Issaquah and got to meet his family and mingle with the crowd there. Then I was so fatigued I took a siesta; so I guess Allanon and I sorta bookended the day's events with our napping. :)