Hike of the Month 2009

TotemLake

Ok, I'm putting it out there now. May 10th, Mother's Day HOTM.

Oh boy, a birthday hike (for me)! :D

Who's bringing the cake?

Don't know about that, but clearly, a cache must be placed. :D

I can see it now. An ammo can painted to look like a cake :D .

Good idea! ;)

You're looking at it all wrong. Bring a cake decorated to look like an ammo can. :D

Ok, I'm putting it out there now. May 10th, Mother's Day HOTM.

Oh boy, a birthday hike (for me)! :D

Who's bringing the cake?

Don't know about that, but clearly, a cache must be placed. :D

I can see it now. An ammo can painted to look like a cake :D .

Good idea! ;)

You're looking at it all wrong. Bring a cake decorated to look like an ammo can. :D

That's a tastier option - and you won't chip your teeth on it either!

But the real question - will it be big enough for all the candles? :D:D

But the real question - will it be big enough for all the candles? :D:D

I heard read that! :D:D

It reminded me of the card I just got a friend:

Jack be nimble,

Jack be quick,

Jack jumps over your candlesticks,

< open card >

Jack be in the burn ward at Mother Goose General Hospital.

:D;):D:D:D:D

Just remember, middle age is always 10 years older than you are...

Wow. Looks like I really have to plan my schedule out now with all the other events getting in the way. :D

The next hike planned (and I have the OK from Mrs TL to do this) is on Sunday, 4/26. Squak Mountain. 5 caches planned and will be bookmarked. Optional 6 if we want to go more than 11 miles roundtrip.

Crazy Monkey Tripod is the targeted cache. Dogs are welcome, cameras are encouraged. We may have some non-cachers with us.

Details to follow soon.

Why would 38 candles be too many, unless it's a Cupcake?

Darn, I'll miss the Monkey because I'm the Cook that day.

I just noticed that April goes without a HOTM...Hmmm.

Anyone up for a Friday the 17th, 3 Night Caches and maybe a side trip or along the way Cache? ;)

There is a April HOTM planned.

I would love to do some night caches with a group again... But the date you have selected I will be driving out to the cache machine in the Quad Cities.

Wow. Looks like I really have to plan my schedule out now with all the other events getting in the way. :D

The next hike planned (and I have the OK from Mrs TL to do this) is on Sunday, 4/26. Squak Mountain. 5 caches planned and will be bookmarked. Optional 6 if we want to go more than 11 miles roundtrip.

Crazy Monkey Tripod is the targeted cache. Dogs are welcome, cameras are encouraged. We may have some non-cachers with us.

Details to follow soon.

Why would 38 candles be too many, unless it's a Cupcake?

Darn, I'll miss the Monkey because I'm the Cook that day.

I just noticed that April goes without a HOTM...Hmmm.

Anyone up for a Friday the 17th, 3 Night Caches and maybe a side trip or along the way Cache? ;)

There is a April HOTM planned.

I would love to do some night caches with a group again... But the date you have selected I will be driving out to the cache machine in the Quad Cities.

Andrew's got it right. The April HOTM was announced back here. The hike is planned for the 26th, Sunday. You can see more details here. (Requires IE until I can update the site to be more compliant.)

OH! I guess the talk about May 10th got me all confused, I got lost and had no where to stand.

I may have to ask for a Hall pass to go do this one, it may just be a Fun one.

:laughing:

Sorry about that. I'm trying to put out advanced enough notice for May 10 due to Mom's day in case anybody was wondering what to do. It's something I started with my Mom last year and it was a kick. I'm thinking the same trail again. It's easy and only had a muck hole or two to get around.

As badly as I want to scratch that Crazy Monkey itch, my doctors (and more than a few of my friends, methinks) will prevent me from taking any hike for a while. I don't even know how long it will be before I can get back on The Pyecycle, and when I do, I have to take it very easy. :unsure:

This was going to be the summer I started pushing my limits again. Think someone is trying to tell me something?

As badly as I want to scratch that Crazy Monkey itch, my doctors (and more than a few of my friends, methinks) will prevent me from taking any hike for a while. I don't even know how long it will be before I can get back on The Pyecycle, and when I do, I have to take it very easy. :unsure:

This was going to be the summer I started pushing my limits again. Think someone is trying to tell me something?

That's bummer news. I was looking forward to seeing you again. I think you're an amazing woman at how well you've been doing since you arrived back to this part of the world. Sometimes even you need to listen to good advise. :D You'll be back riding again before you know it.

Sunday, 4/26. Squak Mountain. 7 caches planned, 9 if you do the mystery caches in the list.

Crazy Monkey Tripod is the targeted cache. Dogs are welcome, cameras are encouraged. Meet up time is 9AM at the primary trailhead.

More information can be had here

Please let me know if you can make it.

Joining in the hike so far:

TotemLake

Ironman

MtnMutt

Wrastro tentative

Belleterre tentative

Hydnsek tentative

LandRover tentative

I have this on my calendar and am looking forward to it. Jane and Judy are out of town for the weekend and Elroy will undoubtedly decide he needs to sleep until sometime in the afternoon. Looking forward to chatting with MtnMutt as I haven't seen him since I knew him in Scouting a few years ago.

Not sure how much of the hike I will be able to do but I'll be there at the start.

I may just still be tired from the CM, 1000 miles of driving and crawling around under the Land Rover bodging up a broken air line this weekend but I don't see which of the many trails head we are starting from.

If you click the link to the Primary Trailhead, I have the coordinates posted on the map. Each of the alternate maps also have their respective coordinates posted on the map if you click the link on my website.

Got it.

FYI unless they've opened up the access road in the last couple of years you can't drive to the towers near CPW (posted TH for Alt 1 & 2). The parking lot / trailhead is at the beginning of the Access Road just off of SE May Valley Road.

If you click the link to the Primary Trailhead, I have the coordinates posted on the map. Each of the alternate maps also have their respective coordinates posted on the map if you click the link on my website.

Got it.

FYI unless they've opened up the access road in the last couple of years you can't drive to the towers near CPW (posted TH for Alt 1 & 2). The parking lot / trailhead is at the beginning of the Access Road just off of SE May Valley Road.

Good to know. I'll update the maps accordingly tonight.

Thanks!

:laughing: Foothills Trailhead just off Sunrise SW Place is the start of the Hike.

47 31.090 122 02.238

Thanks for posting the meet-up location and coords here. :laughing:

Ok. It stops being fun if I have to post it in three locations. Here, WSGA and an email. That's why I'm trying to post it in one location for everybody to look at. :laughing:

For that reason, I'm cutting this down to one thread. Here.

Well I see I didn't make the list despite posting back on the last page. :):D I will be there.

I don't know why that happened cuz I know I typed your name out.

Bummer Ironman, I was looking forward to seeing you again.

TotemLake

AndrewRJ

MtnMutt

Hydnsek

LandRover

Cstmfrmr - I was wondering when you were going to pipe up

Wrastro tentative

Belleterre tentative

Love tentative

Edited by TotemLake

I don't think that AndrewRJ or LandRover should be allowed to go out and play until they get all their caches logged from last weekend... innocent.gif:D

I guess that would include me too. I haven't even started....

And I am actually tentative for this hike. Still recovering from the crud.

Edited by hydnsek

I don't think that AndrewRJ or LandRover should be allowed to go out and play until they get all their caches logged from last weekend... innocent.gif:D

Don't make me smack you. Or may just copy all your logs. Long hours at work. I am also no longer the spill responder for the next month or so.

Don't make me smack you. Or may just copy all your logs. Long hours at work. I am also no longer the spill responder for the next month or so.

:lol: Smack away...

Is the spill thing good or bad? :ph34r:

Has someone on the hike volunteered to climb that tripod? And bring the cache down for non-climbers to sign?

- or is that considered bad caching etiquette?

I've been to that spot a few times but never had the nerve to go up there.

I loved the climb! I'd do it again if I were going. And yes, it has been brought down in in the past for the acrophobic to sign.

TotemLake

AndrewRJ

MtnMutt

LandRover

Cstmfrmr

pcakes

Wrastro tentative

Love tentative

Go West - toying with the idea

Details:

Meet up by tomorrow morning (4/26) 9AM taking off by 9:15ish

Coordinates: N47 31.0904, W122 2.2377

Currently planned as 10 miles

The bookmark is updated with the latest suggestion

This is the map profile

Tracks are located off this page

I will have my radios on for FRS2 and the HAM Wilderness channel 146.52.

Has someone on the hike volunteered to climb that tripod? And bring the cache down for non-climbers to sign?

- or is that considered bad caching etiquette?

I've been to that spot a few times but never had the nerve to go up there.

I loved the climb! I'd do it again if I were going. And yes, it has been brought down in in the past for the acrophobic to sign.

I have been there once before but chose not to climb so I logged a note while Tibby's People logged the find since one of them climbed. I don't plan to climb tomorrow and won't log a find since I personally think that should be a requirement to claim the find on this cache. I don't care what others do. That is just my standard for this cache.