Hike of the Month 2009

TotemLake

Looks like I'm toast for the permit. I forgot about the sno-park. Anyway, I'll be carrying a SPOT with me borrowed from a buddy. If you're interested, hopefully the progress will be tracked.

I'm sure we can work out a ride from a nearby ski area for you. Leave your car there and someone can give you a lift. Or check with the FS office at the summit in the morning and buy one there.

I'll work it out. Just in case I'll PM you my cell phone.

Unless a miracle happens, I am going to have to skip this trip. I have been dealing with a real sore back this week and have been nursing it. So today I went for a 5 mile walkabout in the woods to check it out and was feeling real good.... until I got out of the car at home, It only took 10 mins to get out of the seat.

I have really been looking forward to this hike and it bums me out to have to cancel. Hope you all have a great day!

So anybody want to come over and pull off my boots cause I can't bend over to take them off.

:D

Sorry to hear that! But today was a great day to hike, eh? I finally visited Poo Poo Point on Tiger Mtn myself.

Anyway, I won't be able to make this trek, either, due to conflicting activities. Y'all have fun!!

Unless a miracle happens, I am going to have to skip this trip. I have been dealing with a real sore back this week and have been nursing it. So today I went for a 5 mile walkabout in the woods to check it out and was feeling real good.... until I got out of the car at home, It only took 10 mins to get out of the seat.

I have really been looking forward to this hike and it bums me out to have to cancel. Hope you all have a great day!

So anybody want to come over and pull off my boots cause I can't bend over to take them off.

:D

Sorry to hear that! But today was a great day to hike, eh? I finally visited Poo Poo Point on Tiger Mtn myself.

Anyway, I won't be able to make this trek, either, due to conflicting activities. Y'all have fun!!

Ditto that. I know how back strains can be. Take care and we'll see you on the next hike!

I'll be on FRS2

I only have my handheld HAM as I had to disable my mobile during car troubles last month.

I'll be leaving a tad early to see if I can snag a sno-park permit on the way up.

Edited by TotemLake

Whoo Hoo! What a trip! That is a great trail up to the lake(s) - and no problem with avalanch danger on the road route. Lunch went down really well, with hot drinks for all who wanted (three stoves for six people). And then we found the cache! It took some digging, but the sweet sound of shovel meeting ammo can was heard at 1:48pm - of course, it took a bit longer to get it unfrozen from it resting spot. Blooming Idiot and I had a dinner we needed to get back for, so then boogied down the trail arriving at 3:55. Hot showers by 5:30 - a wonderful day. Thanks TotemLake for putting this together.

I'm interested in your opinion of the SPOT. I saw eight points for your trip, ano kay at the start and seven track points. The last track point was still on the trail. :o

My opinion is pretty low right about now. I had LandRover check and adjust it on my backpack on a pretty regular basis. There should have been a whole lot more track points there. I'm thinking for our mountains, we're too far north for a decent comm satellite fix for the txt message to be sent. I'm on the fence about its usefulness for tracking which I had hoped to use next year on a mult-day hike.

I'm interested in your opinion of the SPOT. I saw eight points for your trip, ano kay at the start and seven track points. The last track point was still on the trail. :o

My opinion is pretty low right about now. I had LandRover check and adjust it on my backpack on a pretty regular basis. There should have been a whole lot more track points there. I'm thinking for our mountains, we're too far north for a decent comm satellite fix for the txt message to be sent. I'm on the fence about its usefulness for tracking which I had hoped to use next year on a mult-day hike.

Shucks, it seems like a great solution to my wife's concerns about my solo hikes out of cell coverage. :)

I was tracking you today as I was able. I guess the way I was looking at it, if something went wrong I would have had a fairly good place to start looking, it seems like it would really narrow the circle for search and rescue.

How often was it supposed to register?

I was tracking you today as I was able. I guess the way I was looking at it, if something went wrong I would have had a fairly good place to start looking, it seems like it would really narrow the circle for search and rescue.

How often was it supposed to register?

It was supposed to register every 10 minutes. Your indicator that all is working right are 2 green LEDs blinking together every 5 seconds. Which is what we saw all day. You have no idea if you really have communication or not. This is a failing of the SPOT device. There should be better feedback for the user that the device actually did or did not communicate with the comm satellite. I would be hard pressed to say I could depend on this for help when I press the 911 button. My chances of hitting a repeater with my handheld HAM would be higher in most backcountry areas of our state than my chances were with hitting the comm satellite. At least we had cell phone coverage up there if we needed immediate help.

I'll add here the SPOT missed 5 1/2 hours of tracking when we thought we had good communication happening. To misquote Verizon... "Can anybody hear me?"

Edited by TotemLake

Hmmm...

Well I was going to go for a hike on the other side of the mountains on the 21st and then the GPS maze on the 28th.

So I am planning on doing 1000 Finds for Mahawking on Saturday the 14th. Anyone is free to join me.

We could also get

Cherry Cache II

On the Way #2

Hoagy’s Walkabout or at least parts of it

Icha-No-Bod Crane

and Double Shot possible will be gone soon due to the building of a new fire station.

Hmmm...

Well I was going to go for a hike on the other side of the mountains on the 21st and then the GPS maze on the 28th.

So I am planning on doing 1000 Finds for Mahawking on Saturday the 14th. Anyone is free to join me.

We could also get

Cherry Cache II

On the Way #2

Icha-No-Bod Crane

and Double Shot possible will be gone soon due to the building of a new fire station.

I'd love to go, but Saturday is the WSGA-PS chapter meeting, which I'm hosting. Darn! I'm free Sunday, tho... [:laughing:]

Hmmm...

We could also get

Cherry Cache II

On the Way #2

Icha-No-Bod Crane

I'd love to go, but Saturday is the WSGA-PS chapter meeting, which I'm hosting. Darn! I'm free Sunday, tho... [:laughing:]

Yea I know, I plan on being there with Amy and Riley. We will see how the timing works out.

Hmmm...

We could also get

Cherry Cache II

On the Way #2

Icha-No-Bod Crane

Is this a bikable route?

Hmmm...

We could also get

Cherry Cache II

On the Way #2

Icha-No-Bod Crane

Is this a bikable route?

Most of it, I know that Evergreenhiker! says its bikeable to Cherry Cache 2 and then you continue up the road for a while before bushwacking to 1000 Finds.

Hmmm...

We could also get

Cherry Cache II

On the Way #2

Icha-No-Bod Crane

Is this a bikable route?

Most of it, I know that Evergreenhiker! says its bikeable to Cherry Cache 2 and then you continue up the road for a while before bushwacking to 1000 Finds.

I'm in. If you want I can borrow the SIL's bike again.

Time & place??

Hmmm...

We could also get

Cherry Cache II

On the Way #2

Icha-No-Bod Crane

Is this a bikable route?

Time & place??

Sure, that would be fine.

I think that we can meet at Double Shot. There is a wide spot for several vehicals at the Intersection.

8AM I was thinking.

Hmmm...

We could also get

Cherry Cache II

On the Way #2

Icha-No-Bod Crane

Is this a bikable route?

Time & place??

Sure, that would be fine.

I think that we can meet at Double Shot. There is a wide spot for several vehicals at the Intersection.

8AM I was thinking.

Okay. I'll be there.

Wow. Looks like I really have to plan my schedule out now with all the other events getting in the way. ;)

The next hike planned (and I have the OK from Mrs TL to do this) is on Sunday, 4/26. Squak Mountain. 5 caches planned and will be bookmarked. Optional 6 if we want to go more than 11 miles roundtrip.

Crazy Monkey Tripod is the targeted cache. Dogs are welcome, cameras are encouraged. We may have some non-cachers with us.

Details to follow soon.

Wow. Looks like I really have to plan my schedule out now with all the other events getting in the way. ;)

The next hike planned (and I have the OK from Mrs TL to do this) is on Sunday, 4/26. Squak Mountain. 5 caches planned and will be bookmarked. Optional 6 if we want to go more than 11 miles roundtrip.

Crazy Monkey Tripod is the targeted cache. Dogs are welcome, cameras are encouraged. We may have some non-cachers with us.

Details to follow soon.

I may try to make this one just so I can cringe again watching others climb the ladder.

Okay...how far a hike is this if you don't go for that sixth cache? I've been jonesin' to do this cache since I first heard about it. I don't know that I'll be able to get down there for the hike, though (it's 103.6 miles as the GPS flies). I'm watching this space to see what happens. ;)

Hike distance revision:

4.92 miles one way for 5 caches, making for 9.84 miles roundtrip, slightly longer if we go after the optional 6th cache. Elevation gain of 1,800 feet, most of it will be within the first 2.4 miles.

Optionally, I've come up with three alternate routes for Pyewacket in the event she's serious:

1. 3,867 feet with a climbing elevation gain of 247 feet of which the average grade in the final 2 ,000 feet can reach as high as 23%.

2. Starting from the same location on the mountain, 1.55 miles, elevation descent is about 550 feet and elevation gain in about 400 feet. Think of this for going in reverse. Most of this appears to be on maintained trail. The last segment of 0.2 miles is not on the maintained trail but someone else in the know can pipe up about this.

These first two options take you past the optional 6th cache.

3. 1.3 miles all up hill with an elevation gain of 860 feet on what appears to be maintained trail. The last 0.2 miles is the same segment as option 2. Alternatively, you can detour on the way back to hit the optional cache.

I will have details and profiles up tonight. Right now I need to get out and enjoy take advantage of the weather to cut the winter grass. ;)

Edited by TotemLake

I've hiked Squak, climbed the Crazy Monkey Tripod (in the cold and rain), and found the Tie Mill (History Challenge). But it's been a few years, so I may join ya, as there's one "new" cache I don't have, Cruising Down Squak Mountain (wow, placed almost three years ago, guess it HAS been a while since I was at Squak).

So, put me down as "tentative."

Well that's the optional 6th cache, and I will be routing towards that one on the way out.

Sorry to hear that. I try not to pick Sundays but with the cache machine and the Mission Possible event, I didn't want to take away from anybody there either and the beginning of the month just had too many things going for me.

Details are up at http://www.totemlake.org/20090426.htm with alternate routes for Pye to chose from. This time the maps have profiles with them.

You might want to add Symbolism, Native Plant Pop Quiz and even though it's currently disabled Bullitt Fireplace Cache.

The first two are puzzles and they are both in very interesting areas and Bullitt Fireplace Cache is near the old Bullitt residence and would make a good place for a lunch/snack break.

Sorry to hear that. I try not to pick Sundays but with the cache machine and the Mission Possible event, I didn't want to take away from anybody there either and the beginning of the month just had too many things going for me.

Details are up at http://www.totemlake.org/20090426.htm with alternate routes for Pye to chose from. This time the maps have profiles with them.

You might want to add Symbolism, Native Plant Pop Quiz and even though it's currently disabled Bullitt Fireplace Cache.

The first two are puzzles and they are both in very interesting areas and Bullitt Fireplace Cache is near the old Bullitt residence and would make a good place for a lunch/snack break.

What he said; the puzzles are on the route, and Bullitt is a very nice spot.

Interesting route choice. I don't have Last Letters Home, but didn't mention it because most hiking routes don't go that way. So that's two I could get!

I've done all the caches on the list for this month's HOTM but that's never stopped me before so I'm in. My knee has been giving me fits for the last week or so, so depending on how it's doing will depend on how much of the hike I do. I've never had any problems with my knees before and this really sucks, right now I'm even having trouble walking the mile from my house to the bus.