Hike of the Month 2009

TotemLake

Hey it was only two calls :D one to find out if what we had found was the cache, it wasn't, it was a GPSthegame.com thingy

Where was that?

TL, it should be fall of the month, instead of Hike of the Month! :lol:

It was at Shy Bear Pass, you can't miss it.

Ah, it was placed after I did the Shy Bear Pass cache with Albert and Friends and Avatrix22. GrnXnham and I did stumble on a letterbox at the cache further down the hill from that one.

Well it looks like someone was kind enough to share their flu... At least it feels like I'm coming down with something. This month may be a bust for me. If nothing else, I'll tentatively schedule for the 28th.

It wasn't me! Still healthy here! :(

Although it's not a snowshoe, what about Wallace Falls? My WTA newsletter reminded me that this is a nice winter hike outside of snow country. It's been a few years since I was there, and all the caches are new to me, anyway. Some are further back, out the backside of the park.

Just an idea, not sure I can make that date anyway, since I'd have to be home by 6:00 latest.

Edited by hydnsek

Are well behaved dogs welcome on the HOTM. They can be leashed if necessary, but they like to roam around and sniff stuff... like dogs do.

Just wondering.

sam

I always pick places to hike where dogs are welcome. I try to bring mine when I think she can handle it. The only time I worry about leashing her up is when we may be approaching another hiker whom 1) may show fear of the animal or 2) have a pet that appears too aggressive.

So is there any thought yet on the February hike? If it is on the 28th I might actually be able to make it.

I'm leaning towards Snoqualmie Pass. Being that I've been barely holding my own with this bug, I haven't put much more thought into it, but will certainly make an announcment prior to the end of the 3 day weekend.

So is there any thought yet on the February hike? If it is on the 28th I might actually be able to make it.

I'm leaning towards Snoqualmie Pass. Being that I've been barely holding my own with this bug, I haven't put much more thought into it, but will certainly make an announcment prior to the end of the 3 day weekend.

Well it looks like most of the good snowshoeing was done by a good part of you guys on snowshoes already in Snoqualmie Pass. I'm filtering out what I can to isolate what hasn't been hit yet, but I'm open to suggestions for snowshoeing.

Well it looks like most of the good snowshoeing was done by a good part of you guys on snowshoes already in Snoqualmie Pass. I'm filtering out what I can to isolate what hasn't been hit yet, but I'm open to suggestions for snowshoeing.

There's Suntop Lookout off Hwy 410

or

Mt. Catherine or Kendall Knob at Snoqualmie Pass

or

Interesting... I never thought of Mt. Catherine as a snowshoe hike before, because the road to the traditional trailhead is impassable in winter. If you do visit Mt. Catherine, try to go when the weather is clear so you don't cheat yourself out of the magnificent 360° view.

or

I'm partial to all three. If anybody is interested, vote. Next Saturday the one with the most will be announced as the HOTM for the 28th.

Sorry you can't make it IM but thanks for the extra effort for a new trail!

or

I'm partial to all three. If anybody is interested, vote. Next Saturday the one with the most will be announced as the HOTM for the 28th.

Is there a cache at Kendall Knob? If so, I'd vote for that one, as it's the shortest and relatively close, and therefore the only one I could possibly attend, as I have to be home between 5-6 that evening. So, my vote might should be discounted, anyways...

Edited by hydnsek

or

Is there a cache at Kendall Knob? If so, I'd vote for that one, as it's the shortest and relatively close, and therefore the only one I could possibly attend, as I have to be home between 5-6 that evening. So, my vote might should be discounted, anyways...

J&S's KPL Cache is fairly close to Kendall Knob although a bit of digging might be required.

or

Sorry you can't make it IM but thanks for the extra effort for a new trail!

I vote for the Kendall Knob hike. I have also been feeling under the weather for the last couple of weeks and not sure I'm up to either of the other hikes.

Cornish Girl and I vote for the Kendall Knob hike if you feel up to it.

Sounds like there's a consensus. Does someone know what the round-trip length and elevation change is (to the cache LR mentioned)? The cache page says 6 miles, but not whether that is one-way or not. I definitely hope it's RT. :laughing:

By taking the direct route up the ridge rather than following the road it is about 2.4 miles each way and 2200 feet elevation (to 500@5000). The ridge route has the least avalanche risk and is ideal for snowshoes. Following the road is longer thus more gradual thus the route usually taken by skiers and thus may have the advantage of another party breaking trail.

Edited by runhills

Cornish Girl and I vote for the Kendall Knob hike if you feel up to it.

Sounds like there's a consensus. Does someone know what the round-trip length and elevation change is (to the cache LR mentioned)? The cache page says 6 miles, but not whether that is one-way or not. I definitely hope it's RT. :unsure:

By taking the direct route up the ridge rather than following the road it is about 2.4 miles each way and 2200 feet elevation (to 500@5000). The ridge route has the least avalanche risk and is ideal for snowshoes. Following the road is longer thus more gradual thus the route usually taken by skiers and thus may have the advantage of another party breaking trail.

Avalanche risk....how risky is the ridge route? For those of us who aren't alpine-equipped and -trained.

I'm not comfortable assessing avalanche risk for others. Staying right on the ridge is the least risk because any slides will follow the fall line and not along the ridge. The biggest problem is they are not protected from the wind so parties drop down from the ridge line onto slopes which could be risky due to snow load. Wind may form cornices which can break so on or below is another risk.

Current conditions for Snoqualmie/Stevens Pass areas according to Northwest Weather and Avalanche Center:

ZONE AVALANCHE FORECASTS

* WASHINGTON CASCADES SNOQUALMIE NORTH-

* STEVENS SNOQUALMIE PASSES-

Sunday and Sunday night: Slightly increasing low avalanche

danger below 7000 feet.

Monday and Monday night: Further slightly increasing danger

becoming moderate above 4000 feet and low below.

I'll keep an eye on this and will decide a go/no go by Friday morning. If it stays low, I'm going. If it's moderate and in a warming trend, I'll probably not go and will aim for Silverton instead.

USDangerScale.gif

Avalanche danger has increased. It's not looking good. The report is at this link and a quick detail is below:

WASHINGTON CASCADES NEAR AND WEST OF THE CREST-

· CASCADE PASSES, INCLUDING STEVENS, SNOQUALMIE AND WHITE PASSES-

Wednesday and Wednesday night: considerable avalanche danger above 4 to 5000 feet and moderate below increasing and becoming considerable above 4000 feet and moderate below

Thursday and Thursday night: slowly decreasing danger, becoming considerable above 5 to 6000 feet and moderate below

· EAST SLOPES WASHINGTON CASCADES-

Wednesday and Wednesday night: considerable avalanche danger above 6000 feet and moderate below slowly increasing and becoming considerable above 5 to 6000 feet and moderate below

Thursday and Thursday night: slowly decreasing danger, becoming moderate below 7000 feet

SNOWPACK ANALYSIS

The combination of recent moderate to heavy snowfall, lowering freezing levels and moderate to locally strong winds Monday and Tuesday has spread increasing load over a multitude of buried weak layers along with generally increasing avalanche danger, especially on north through east exposures. This has produced an increasingly challenging snowpack structure to safely negotiate, with increasing reports of cracking, whumpfs and sensitive wind slabs received during the past 12-24 hours. A variety of ski areas including Mt Hood Meadows, Alpental and Crystal Mt indicated that initially small but increasing soft wind slabs have been easily triggered by either explosives, skiers or boarders Tuesday and early Wednesday, with slab depths ranging up to about 1 foot at Alpental, and up to 1 to 2 feet at Crystal and Meadows, along with shooting tracks and some remote triggering. An off-duty ski patroller at Crystal Mt was also caught and mostly buried by a small loose slide released from above his position by another skier; fortunately no injuries resulted.

I've had some avalanche training, and would like to make a couple of observations. One, the forecast is calling for DECREASING levels by tomorrow night. Two, the Kendal ridge is on West to South slopes, the opposite of the more dangerous in this forecast. Three, little if any of the ridge route is "steeper terrain", much of it is below what is optimal for avalanches. The steepest part is below 4000 - which doesn't get above a Moderate level in the forcast.

Meet up time 9AM 2/28/09

Trailhead

N47° 23.8402'

W121° 23.7461'

GPX files and aerial map posted at

http://www.totemlake.org/20090228.htm

If the forecast changes for the worse, I'll change everything for Silverton tomorrow night.

I'm probably can't go, due to my evening commitment, but just in case...what time to you estimate being back at the cars? I realize YMMV. :D

I gave Jester what I think is an optimistic estimate of 6 hours from start of hike.

Meet up time 9AM 2/28/09

Trailhead

N47° 23.8402'

W121° 23.7461'

If the forecast changes for the worse, I'll change everything for Silverton tomorrow night.

I'm not sure is this is part of the Gold Creek Sno-Park but if it is a Sno-Park Permit will be required for parking and "if" I remember right a NW Forest Pass isn't a substitute for a Sno-Park Permit.

I'm not sure is this is part of the Gold Creek Sno-Park but if it is a Sno-Park Permit will be required for parking and "if" I remember right a NW Forest Pass isn't a substitute for a Sno-Park Permit.

'Zactly right - Sno-Park Permit is separate from a NW Forest Pass and can't substitute one for the other. I learned that last winter on a snowshoe hike. :D

Don't try to get one from a State Parks office today. I just called and discovered that our lovely governor has cut them down to a 4-day work week and now they are closed on Fridays. You can still get them from REI.

Unless a miracle happens, I am going to have to skip this trip. I have been dealing with a real sore back this week and have been nursing it. So today I went for a 5 mile walkabout in the woods to check it out and was feeling real good.... until I got out of the car at home, It only took 10 mins to get out of the seat.

I have really been looking forward to this hike and it bums me out to have to cancel. Hope you all have a great day!

So anybody want to come over and pull off my boots cause I can't bend over to take them off.

:D

Edited by Cstmfrmr/Duckfart

Meet up time 9AM 2/28/09

Trailhead

N47° 23.8402'

W121° 23.7461'

I checked on the NWHikers board and they tell me that a Sno-Park Pass is required here.

Looks like I'm toast for the permit. I forgot about the sno-park. Anyway, I'll be carrying a SPOT with me borrowed from a buddy. If you're interested, hopefully the progress will be tracked.

I'm sure we can work out a ride from a nearby ski area for you. Leave your car there and someone can give you a lift. Or check with the FS office at the summit in the morning and buy one there.