Hike of the Month 2009

TotemLake

If you used the small lunch size bags you could just scoop the Chili into the bags and use them as bowls. The clean up would be so easy.

Next would be the capture of the next generation of BioFuel.

Did I say that out loud?

Definitely so, but after much searching while preparing for the PNW debut of Frito Pies, it was discovered that the small bags are only found in a variety pack, and determined that Cheeto Pies are a significantly greater gastronomical abomination than Frito Pies.

I stopped by Cache Cash & Carry this afternoon and bought 25 2oz bags of Fritos.

If you used the small lunch size bags you could just scoop the Chili into the bags and use them as bowls. The clean up would be so easy.

Did I say that out loud?

Definitely so, but after much searching while preparing for the PNW debut of Frito Pies, it was discovered that the small bags are only found in a variety pack, and determined that Cheeto Pies are a significantly greater gastronomical abomination than Frito Pies.

I stopped by Cache Cash & Carry this afternoon and bought 25 2oz bags of Fritos.

Cool! The grocery stores and Costco don't have anything but the variety packs. I may still bring a bowl so I don't have to hold a bag of hot chili in my hands.

Did I say that out loud?

Cool! The grocery stores and Costco don't have anything but the variety packs. I may still bring a bowl so I don't have to hold a bag of hot chili in my hands.

I have the paper bowls I alluded to. I'll be bringing those.

Edited by TotemLake

Current attendees for January HOTM (Strung Out): 13 16 18 20

TotemLake (3 w/colleagues)

SquareBear (Ray)

hydnsek

lucyandrickie (2)

Cache Ahead

Cstmfrmr (3 w/daughters)

Ironman

LandRover

AndrewRJ

Criminal

Prying Pandora

Plaidguy

MtnMutt

LittleBlue

Allanon

2 are wavering. They had a $2300 vet bill to attend to. Be that as it may, this is looking to be a record breaker.

Edited by TotemLake

Current attendees for January HOTM (Strung Out):

17 Definite:

TotemLake

SquareBear (Ray)

hydnsek

lucyandrickie (2)

Cache Ahead

Cstmfrmr (4 w/daughters and bfs)

Ironman

LandRover

Criminal

Prying Pandora

Plaidguy

MtnMutt

LittleBlue

3 Maybes:

AndrewRJ

2 colleagues of TotemLake

Edited by hydnsek

Current attendees for January HOTM (Strung Out):

TotemLake (3 w/colleagues)

SquareBear (Ray)

hydnsek

lucyandrickie (2)

Cache Ahead

Cstmfrmr (4 w/daughters and bfs)

Ironman

LandRover

AndrewRJ

Criminal

Prying Pandora

Plaidguy

MtnMutt

LittleBlue

Allanon

Still 20, although TotemLake said two are now maybes (don't know who).

Make that a third maybe. I need to try to shake this chest cold a little. If I don't feel any better I may bail, but I am going to call in tomorrow and rest so I hope I will make it.

Still 20, although TotemLake said two are now maybes (don't know who).

Make that a third maybe. I need to try to shake this chest cold a little. If I don't feel any better I may bail, but I am going to call in tomorrow and rest so I hope I will make it.

Roll call updated in my message above. Feel better soon!

I had to dig up my MeriPlat track and convert it via GPSBabel then blah blah blah.... Anyway, it's there now in Txt An1 and GPX format along with a couple of images on how it looks on the aerial and in 3-D.

http://www.totemlake.org/20090124.htm

Coordinates posted are at the turn and at the location we had to park. I have no idea how this is going to look this year with the melt-off. I'm planning on being there at 9AM. I'll be bringing Ray along. Bring shovels in case I high center myself again. :P

Approx parking coords are N47 47.0744 W121 2.0237

Service road coords are N47 47.0177 W121 2.3951

I do try to stay a little bit ahead of the game. :D

See ya there!

Edited by TotemLake

Great snowshoe today, despite only finding 1 of 3 caches - 16 peeps, temp below 20F, lovely scenery. Great to see Ray!! :) Found our first cache after AndrewRJ and Ironman did some excavating with snow shovel (it had fallen from its hanger). Hollow Tree escaped us yet again - third year in a row it's been AWOL, so Cache Ahead hung up the 4th container. ;) We decided a summer bushwhack is in order to see what the heck is going on under all that snow. Also agreed it needs a subtitle...(aka Jinxed, the Bermuda Triangle...something), and maybe even an annual Hollow Tree Snowshoe in its honor. And, alas, lucyandrickie's cache, Strung Up, also couldn't be recovered, although we at least found the rope and carabiner. Lots of guys doing lots of excavation, but nada. Fortunately, they also brought a new container.

Got pretty chilly after that, so back to the car for warm chili on Frito Pies, drinks and peppermint bark, then some of the guyz went to Eddie's Trackside in Monroe for more manly gossip. :)

Thanks yet again to TotemLake for organizing!

Edited by hydnsek

Girls go to Eddie's too. ;)

Yep, just not tonight for most of us - glad you were there to keep them in line. :)

Too bad, you girls missed their new improved sweet potato fries.

Forget the fries, were they breaking in a new cook this time? Like every other time we have gone?

I dunno, but they were crinkle cut tonight. Crispy outside, fluffy inside, not greasy - perfect!

It was a great hike with even greater camaraderie among the hikers/cache seekers.

It was good to see those that were there last year again and too meet Cache Ahead who placed some of the caches we were seeking today.

The conditions were vastly different from last year with hard crunchy snow and sunshine.

Now if I can only quit placing my boot in my mouth.

I had a great time yesterday but apparently it wasn't enough so I went out with Nick today and did a 6 mile hike on Cougar and picked up 11 caches in the snow. I'm no longer a cougar Mountain virgin. :P

I can verify this, as I received several cache logs and phone calls. Congrats on losing your Cougar virginity, LR! ;)

I had a great time yesterday but apparently it wasn't enough so I went out with Nick today and did a 6 mile hike on Cougar and picked up 11 caches in the snow. I'm no longer a cougar Mountain virgin. :lol:

I can verify this, as I received several cache logs and phone calls. Congrats on losing your Cougar virginity, LR! :P

Hey it was only two calls ;) one to find out if what we had found was the cache, it wasn't, it was a GPSthegame.com thingy and the other was for a hint on a P.O.S bison tube hidden on an old wrecked Ford in the woods.

Hey it was only two calls :P one to find out if what we had found was the cache, it wasn't, it was a GPSthegame.com thingy

Where was that?

TL, it should be fall of the month, instead of Hike of the Month! ;)

It was at Shy Bear Pass, you can't miss it.

That GPSthegame thingy, which was placed last fall, is causing a lot of confusion with the Shy Bear Pass cache. Since a bear destroyed the original hide spot for Shy Bear (how apt!) last month anyway, I may relocate it a bit further away from the intruder, to avoid cacher confusion. Gonna make a maintenance run this week, perhaps tomorrow, and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks to LandRover for finding several of my caches today, but only calling me twice. :lol: And for sending updated coords for Shy Bear's current location. ;)