Hike of the Month 2009

TotemLake

In anticipation of being unshackled, I'm planning on the next HOTM to be near the end of the month of January. Sepecifically Saturday the 25th 24th. SquareBear will be back in town and he's looking for a challenge. I intend to give him one. Stay tuned for more info later on down the trail.

Fixed. Hope so anyway, because I have to work on Sunday the 25th.

In anticipation of being unshackled, I'm planning on the next HOTM to be near the end of the month of January. Sepecifically Saturday the 25th 24th. SquareBear will be back in town and he's looking for a challenge. I intend to give him one. Stay tuned for more info later on down the trail.

Fixed. Hope so anyway, because I have to work on Sunday the 25th.

I must be getting old. Thanks.

You and me both.

I'm getting around very good without the boot although when I'm leaving the house, the boot goes on. I've been doing Yoga exercises with the ankle so the Dr is not recommending a PT session for me. I hope to be near full strength by the time the scheduled hike comes up.

I'm whining alot right now cuz I'm missing the best start of the snow season this past two weeks for snowshoeing. My better half will be so relieved when I get back on the trails again just to quit hearing me whine so much. :D

I've marked Saturday 24th down.

Don't know what your primary plan is, but you mentioned in emal a backup plan to revisit the Hollow Tree area. I need to revisit that area to get the Strung Up snowshoe cache, which is beyond Hollow Tree. And I know cache ahead still wonders how many of the former Hollow Tree containers might still be there. :laughing:

Don't know what your primary plan is, but you mentioned in emal a backup plan to revisit the Hollow Tree area. I need to revisit that area to get the Strung Up snowshoe cache, which is beyond Hollow Tree. And I know cache ahead still wonders how many of the former Hollow Tree containers might still be there. :laughing:

Well then. I think we just got a primary hike in place. I hadn't realized there was another one out there now. We'll call this one Strung Out.

Well then. I think we just got a primary hike in place. I hadn't realized there was another one out there now. We'll call this one Strung Out.

Kewl. There are actually three snowshoe caches on that route now:

I Saw This Hollow Tree

Hollow Tree

Strung Up

Ok, I may just have to try this one. Where does one rent snow shoes? REI?

This would be a good beginning snowshoe, not too physical. And pretty.

Yah, some REIs rent (call and check); probably some other sports stores do, too. Or maybe you can borrow a pair from one of our brethren who won't be going. There are a lot of snowshoe owners now!

Yah, some REIs rent (call and check); probably some other sports stores do, too. Or maybe you can borrow a pair from one of our brethren who won't be going. There are a lot of snowshoe owners now!

I do believe that GI Joes may rent them as well, but I'm not absolutly sure. I do know they rent rafts and the like.

Allow me to assist...

Here's a list of REI stores and what they rent.

Allow me to assist...

Wow, never seen that page, how useful! And it says every one of our REI stores rents snowshoes. Nifty keen.

Allow me to assist...

Wow, never seen that page, how useful! And it says every one of our REI stores rents snowshoes. Nifty keen.

Speaking of Snowshoeing & REI.....

The Southcenter store is having a snowshoeing clinic tonight at 7:00PM

I see I should have waited a week for my 5000 and done it at Strung Up. I would've had a much larger crowd to celebrate with. :cry:

Oh well...this weekend, a visit to the beach in north Kitsap with a few buds (including hanging out at Velma's beach house!); next weekend, back to winter and snowshoes (with a cameo by Ray!). Life is tuff. :D Y'all can help me celebrate, uh, 5010.

Edited by hydnsek

I had to dig up my MeriPlat track and convert it via GPSBabel then blah blah blah.... Anyway, it's there now in Txt An1 and GPX format along with a couple of images on how it looks on the aerial and in 3-D.

http://www.totemlake.org/20090124.htm

Coordinates posted are at the turn and at the location we had to park. I have no idea how this is going to look this year with the melt-off. I'm planning on being there at 9AM. I'll be bringing Ray along. Bring shovels in case I high center myself again. :cry:

Edited by TotemLake

Wow! This is turning into a big outing! Criminal is planning on being there too!

Is Ray going to make his famous chili for us to enjoy after? Or should we get a plan for Frito pies? :rolleyes:

Yah, this trek is huge. The snow will be well-packed for our return hike. I count 13 16 so far:

TotemLake

SquareBear (Ray)

hydnsek

lucyandrickie (2)

Cache Ahead

Cstmfrmr

Ironman114

LandRover

AndrewRJ

Criminal

Prying Pandora

Plaidguy

MtnMutt

LittleBlue

Allanon

Edit: Attendees.

Edited by hydnsek

Wow! This is turning into a big outing! Criminal is planning on being there too!

Is Ray going to make his famous chili for us to enjoy after? Or should we get a plan for Frito pies? :rolleyes:

Yah, this trek is huge. The snow will be well-packed for our return hike. I count 13 so far:

TotemLake

SquareBear (Ray)

hydnsek

lucyandrickie (2)

Cache Ahead

Cstmfrmr

Ironman114

LandRover

AndrewRJ

Criminal

Prying Pandora

Plaidguy

LeAnn expressed interest too...or so I heard.

If someone wants to buy/provide the food, I'd be willing to go again and play cook...

If someone wants to buy/provide the food, I'd be willing to go again and play cook...

Terrific! Count me in for a monster Costco-sized can of chili. (Unless Ray volunteers to make his home-made chili - that stuff is GOOD!!)

I'll chop a couple of jalapenoes and an onion along with a jumbo sized bag of fritoes.

Well... maybe not chop the fritoes.

Edited by TotemLake

If you used the small lunch size bags you could just scoop the Chili into the bags and use them as bowls. The clean up would be so easy.

Next would be the capture of the next generation of BioFuel.

Did I say that out loud?

Definitely so, but after much searching while preparing for the PNW debut of Frito Pies, it was discovered that the small bags are only found in a variety pack, and determined that Cheeto Pies are a significantly greater gastronomical abomination than Frito Pies.

If you used the small lunch size bags you could just scoop the Chili into the bags and use them as bowls. The clean up would be so easy.

Next would be the capture of the next generation of BioFuel.

Did I say that out loud?

Definitely so, but after much searching while preparing for the PNW debut of Frito Pies, it was discovered that the small bags are only found in a variety pack, and determined that Cheeto Pies are a significantly greater gastronomical abomination than Frito Pies.

If the food is too hot, then the plastic will melt. I might tell you how I found out. :angry: I think I have some paper bowls left over from the Mt Rainier CITO.

Current attendees for January HOTM (Strung Out): 13 16 18 20

TotemLake (3 w/colleagues)

SquareBear (Ray)

hydnsek

lucyandrickie (2)

Cache Ahead

Cstmfrmr (3 w/daughters)

Ironman

LandRover

AndrewRJ

Criminal

Prying Pandora

Plaidguy

MtnMutt

LittleBlue

Allanon

Edited by hydnsek

Up to 18 people ?! :huh:

TL is going to be up all week making the collectables for this one. :)

I was just thinking the same thing but with a giant smile. Of course, I'm going to have to go buy more supplies now. LOL :)

It just occured to me I forgot to mention you may have to drive past the hike location to get to a turn around. The crossing you see at the beginning of the highway split was blocked by plowed snow the last time. Coords and image of the turn around location is now on my web site.

Also, we may have 2 more joining us from my work.

Edited by TotemLake

Up to 18 people ?! :D

TL is going to be up all week making the collectables for this one. :angry:

I was just thinking the same thing but with a giant smile. Of course, I'm going to have to go buy more supplies now. LOL :D

It just occured to me I forgot to mention you may have to drive past the hike location to get to a turn around. The crossing you see at the beginning of the highway split was blocked by plowed snow the last time. Coords and image of the turn around location is now on my web site.

Also, we may have 2 more joining us from my work.

So the broken leg didn't scare them off from hiking with you?

Or do they want to finish the job??

More crazy people are welcome to the addiction.

I must be crazy too for doing some trail building work in the Columbia Gorge this weekend with sub freezing temps and winds 40-60 mph.