Grabbing from afar without increasing miles?

mvigor

I had a traveler go missing from a cache in Sweden. It's time to release a duplicate traveler, but I don't want to "claim" any mileage for moving it from Sweden back to Illinois since I didn't go there. Will this be as simple as deleting a log from the traveler's page?

You can delete logs but then you are erasing the history and cachers find. There has been TB's and geocoins that have come back after years of being missing. If that happens then you would have two out there and would have to get one out of circulation.

If you delete the logs to go back to zero you could send an email to the people who moved it letting them know you are deleting the log and letting them log a discover because they did see it.

If you want it to continue on its journey as it is you could see if there was a cacher near where it went missing you could mail it to and start it again in Sweden.

Deleting logs is a very bad idea. It removes the stats, logs and photos of everyone who assisted your bug and that isn't very nice.

Don't worry about the extra mileage just grab the bug and drop it into a cache. Even if you delete just your log the next log will show a jump from Sweden to the cache. Or you can do as Maine Family suggested and send it to someone in that country.

Edited by BlueDeuce

If you mark the bug as missing before you release the new one you won't get any miles added to the bug AFAIK.

NOTE: This information is incorrect. It does add miles. I was wrong. Almost went the whole year without being wrong but just blew it. This is the first time I have been wrong this year. Drats! :blink:

Edited by webscouter.

BD & MF-

I didn't mean to imply that for any reason I was going to remove all the logs from my traveler. I was simply asking if there was a way that when I place a traveler in an Illinois cache, I could remove the mileage indication that it had been directly moved there from Sweden. I am replacing a lost bug with a copy.

WS-

Thanks for trying! If you find a way that works, I'd love to hear about it.

Edited by mvigor

That's cool. I don't find the mileage to be that accurate in the first place so I don't worry too much about it. I prefer the cache visits stay accurate, although it would seem that cache visits and mileage go hand in hand.

I often cache over my lunch hour, so I drive to work (35 miles) , find a cache, log my personal TB and then I drive home. The next day I drive back to work, find another cache and my personal TB will show maybe 2 miles traveled even though I've driven 70 plus miles between cache finds.

Your bug was logged into the cache in Sweden, now it's logged into one in Illinois. That's all that matters.

Since there is always mileage continuity between logs you won't be able to restrict the calculation between here and there.

Edited by BlueDeuce