downloading caches to gps

Lidea

Download EasyGPS at www.easygps.com. It's free and it's very easy to use.

If you aren't a premium member you can't run pocket queries. However you can get .LOC file directly from the individual cache page. .LOC is very basic cache info but if you want just the cache coords this will work fine. ---

On the cache page just a few lines down from the top of the page you'll see a button titled "LOC Waypoint File". Click that button. It will prompt you to save the file. Name that file anything you want, maybe the GC name or some other name so you can keep track of it later in case you want to load more than one cache. Make a folder or save to wherever you wish so you can retrieve it. That will give you the cache coords and very basic cache info for that cache. You can save as many cache .LOC files as you want.

Connect your GPS to your computer. Make sure your GPS is set to "Garmin" connection set up.

Start up EasyGPS. Drag and drop each of the .LOC files that you've saved onto EasyGPS. It will put the cache coords in EasyGPS. If you have 10 caches saved then it will list each of the caches.

In the top toolbar of EasyGPS is a button titled "Send". That will send all the cache coords to your GPS.

After doing a few you'll get on to it and you'll be able to do it fairly quickly.

I have done the communicator as well as the driver. I have agreed to the Groundspeak licence. I do not know what you mean by "program using to load caches". What kind of program do i need?

Thank you, Wadcutter, for an in depth description. Sorry to be so stupid.

Check the Garmin Communicator Plugin test page. This will tell you if you plugin is working properly and if your GPS is connected to your computer properly. You might also trying rebooting your PC to get a fresh reload of everything if you have problems. Once you've got all this working properly, you should be able to click the "Send to GPS" icon on a cache page (with your GPS attached via the USB port).

i am trying to load caches to my new garmin gps. I have the Garmin driver installed and the plug-in which seems to be the same thing. What else do i do? I click on "send to gps" on the cache page. Nothing happends. What else should i be doing that i am not?

You should be telling us what type of garmin gps you have.

Colorado and Oregon don't use the send to gps functionality, they are mass storage devices and as such need to have .gpx files. The eTrexs and Geckos use serial interface and can't use the send to gps functionality. The others that use usb cables can use the send to gps functionality. So which one do you have? Also, what OS? Not sure if the garmin plugin works with 64bit Vista.

Jim

i am trying to load caches to my new garmin gps. I have the Garmin driver installed and the plug-in which seems to be the same thing. What else do i do? I click on "send to gps" on the cache page. Nothing happends. What else should i be doing that i am not?

Colorado and Oregon don't use the send to gps functionality, they are mass storage devices and as such need to have .gpx files. The eTrexs and Geckos use serial interface and can't use the send to gps functionality. The others that use usb cables can use the send to gps functionality. So which one do you have? Also, what OS? Not sure if the garmin plugin works with 64bit Vista.

Jim

Hi and Happy Holidays Jim. I just doubled checked on my new HP laptop with 64 bit Vista. I have the gamin plugin installed and it works great. I normally do my loading with GSAK on my older desktop. Dick

Jim

Hi and Happy Holidays Jim. I just doubled checked on my new HP laptop with 64 bit Vista. I have the gamin plugin installed and it works great. I normally do my loading with GSAK on my older desktop. Dick

Happy Holidays to you Dick. Thanks for that info. Do you use a palm? Hot sync won't work with 64bit Vista, but I have an easy work around.

Jim

If you aren't a premium member you can't run pocket queries. However you can get .LOC file directly from the individual cache page. .LOC is very basic cache info but if you want just the cache coords this will work fine. ---

On the cache page just a few lines down from the top of the page you'll see a button titled "LOC Waypoint File". Click that button. It will prompt you to save the file. Name that file anything you want, maybe the GC name or some other name so you can keep track of it later in case you want to load more than one cache. Make a folder or save to wherever you wish so you can retrieve it. That will give you the cache coords and very basic cache info for that cache. You can save as many cache .LOC files as you want.

Connect your GPS to your computer. Make sure your GPS is set to "Garmin" connection set up.

Start up EasyGPS. Drag and drop each of the .LOC files that you've saved onto EasyGPS. It will put the cache coords in EasyGPS. If you have 10 caches saved then it will list each of the caches.

In the top toolbar of EasyGPS is a button titled "Send". That will send all the cache coords to your GPS.

After doing a few you'll get on to it and you'll be able to do it fairly quickly.

Thanks for this info. Will EasyGPS load the basic cache info onto garmin topo maps? By this I mean can I send it right to my 60csx or do I send info to my pc to creat a map in topo then send it to the 60csx?

Anyone use the GeoBuddy software advertised on the easygps website?

EasyGPS can load both .loc and .gpx files from GC.com. You then use EasyGPS to send these waypoints to your gps. Mapsource can be used in a similar manner as can many other programs. Basically you get a file from GC.com, be .loc or .gpx, and then load it into some program (EasyGPS, mapsource, waypoint manager, GSAK, etc) on your PC and then use that program to load the waypoints on to your GPS.

Jim

Many people in this listing are saying that the "Send to GPS" does not work with the Oregon 400 from Garmin, this is not strictly true. Firstly install Garmin Communicator software (link is available in Geocache.com)

When you plug in your Garmin to your PC, the Garmin askes "USB Cable detected, would you like to go to mass storage?" The correct answer here is YES. This puts a picture of a PC on the garmin, now simply press send to Garmin on any Geocache you like and it sends it straight away.

Hope this helps,

Regards

Simon

Many people in this listing are saying that the "Send to GPS" does not work with the Oregon 400 from Garmin, this is not strictly true. Firstly install Garmin Communicator software (link is available in Geocache.com)

When you plug in your Garmin to your PC, the Garmin askes "USB Cable detected, would you like to go to mass storage?" The correct answer here is YES. This puts a picture of a PC on the garmin, now simply press send to Garmin on any Geocache you like and it sends it straight away.

Hope this helps,

Regards

Simon

Simon you are absolutely right. One more thing I would like to add one more thing the Garmin Communicator software runs very well on a Vista 64 bit operating system.

I have successfully uploaded .loc files into my Garmin, but I don't like how the default of the .loc file appears. It gives the registered name (GC####) instead of the written name, but gives the written name as a note. Does anyone have a solution to get the written name into the name field and the clues into the notes section of the .loc file without having to edit them in MapSource?