Help with maps for etrex Vista HCx

bella'splace

Help, I received a Garmin etrex Vista HCx for christmas and am looking for maps. I want to use the GPS for geocaching and for city navigating. There are a lot of different maps out there (Natl Geographic, City Navigator, etc...), and I don't know which map would be best. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

There are a couple of versions of maps that you can use. There are City Navigator NT DVD maps. This will install a mapping program on your computer where you will build and send mapsets to your GPS, which would be stored on a microSD card that you'd have to buy. There's also a non NT version of the maps on DVD that may load just a bit faster. The NT maps are compressed, so your GPS has to uncompress them. Both work fine, the NT maps take just a tad longer to render on your GPS as the maps scroll along.

Or, you can get the map database already on a microSD card, and just insert that into your GPS. The benefit of this is that you don't have to build and send mapsets to your GPS, they're already on the card. But, one disadvantage, you can't use these maps on your PC at all. Like if you wanted to create a route on the PC, then build maps and send it to the GPS, you can't do this with the microSD card version.

Prices for any of the versions mentioned above are about the same.

Edited by vwaldoguy

If you are going to use your device for driving than I suggest City Navigator NT. You may also need to get an sd card for your device to hold the maps.

I want this for both on and off road use. How is City Navigator NT for off-road use? I would really like to use just one program/map and not have to get multiple. I want to be able to go from using my etrex to get to a trail, and then again to help navigate once on one. Thanks again!

You don't really use City Navigator for the off-road use. For that, I use the Topo 2008 maps, which show elevation contours, streams, lakes, and some trails, etc. Basically, I use my GPSr with City Navigator maps to navigate to the cache proximity, then switch to Topo Maps to navigate from my car to the actual cache location.

I want this for both on and off road use. How is City Navigator NT for off-road use? I would really like to use just one program/map and not have to get multiple. I want to be able to go from using my etrex to get to a trail, and then again to help navigate once on one. Thanks again!

Note that your unit uses microSD up to 2 GB, but you are limited to 2025 map segments. Each NT segment covers an entire state, but you would not be able to load Topo maps (smaller segments) for the entire USA at once.

There are free transparent elevation overlays available for City Navigator NT maps. Although, you have to download each segment you want and put them into MapSource with something like MapSetToolKit. They do not show all the small roads, trails, creeks of regular topo maps, but at least help you get the lay of the land. See http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/news.asp?ID=446

You can change which mapsets display from Setup, Maps, (i) Information icon, then Menu button. If you enable tracking that can at least help you find your way back out the way you came (or where you parked your car if you forgot to mark that).

Something to note is to properly set "Follow Foad" (lock to roads) or "Off Road" (when out in the field) under Setup, Routing. I have mine set to "Prompted" so when I pick a destination, it asks me. Once you find your way to a parking spot, make sure you use Off Road mode.

Before you spend ~$100 on the CN DVD consider this. Even with the best of maps your Vista is a crappy automotive unit. The display is tiny and very reflective, a turn beep is no substitute for a human voice saying turn left in 300', turn left. You'll have to buy a mount, another $30, and a 12V adapter, another $15. Hold your vista at arms length, can you read anything.

For ~$100 you can buy a low end Nuvi with those same maps loaded, it comes with a mount, has an adjustable volume speaker with human voice turn directions, a MUCH larger screen, and a 12V plug for power.

Use your Vista as a handheld, leave the car to the Nuvi.

Would have to disagree a bit with the previous comment about the Vista being a crappy automotive unit. While the screen on the Vista is small, that size works just fine as an automotive unit for me. Personally, I don't need a talking voice telling me to turn left, etc. Also, my eyesight is 20/15, and can read the screen at 3 arms length. I guess to each their own, but I use my 60CSx in the car all the time, (same screen size as the Vista) and have no problems.

Edited by vwaldoguy

Although we've disagreed over this same subject before, this time I have to agree with MtnHermit. Yes, the Vista (or Legend or 60Csx, etc.) can be used in a vehicle. BUT... I saw a Nuvi today for Cdn$99. (With the current exchange rate isn't that, like, US$37.95? :D )

That's about what you would pay for the City Navigator maps alone. That sort of price is an excellent argument for just getting a cheap Nuvi complete with maps and car mount, and just put some free topos on the Vista for caching.

...ken...