Compressing City Navigator maps

Just install the area that you need, don't try to install the whole US. Just install the state you are in or the counties you utilze the most.

I do not know how to compress the maps. I live in California and have the whole state loaded with parts of Nevada because I am in the Sacramento area near Tahoe.

I hate to tell you this, but you should not have purchased the NT version. The maps in the NT version cover a much larger area than the non-NT version. If the state you wish to load requires more space than your GPS can accommodate, you're out of luck unfortunately. The non-NT version breaks a state into multiple map areas, so one area can be loaded onto units with limited memory.

I hate to tell you this, but you should not have purchased the NT version. The maps in the NT version cover a much larger area than the non-NT version. If the state you wish to load requires more space than your GPS can accommodate, you're out of luck unfortunately. The non-NT version breaks a state into multiple map areas, so one area can be loaded onto units with limited memory.

I just checked on my non-NT version of City Navigator NA 2009 and Pennsylvania contains about 15 seperate segments. That would allow for some flexibility in picking only the area needed.

On the other hand, it might be a bunch smarter to take the Venture back and spend a few more dollars on the Legend HCx which allows for a micro-SD card. That's what I did when I discovered how limited the internal 24MB really was .. returned the Venture HC for full credit on the Legend HCx, bought a cheap 2GB micro-SD card for about 7 bucks on blow-out at a local electronics shop and I've never looked back. I was so frustrated on the first attempt to fit anything useful on the Venture that I knew it wouldn't be more than a few more days before I tossed it into a lake or cut my throat. I know my limits... :rolleyes:

...ken...