Tell us what GPS gift Santa gave you?

wavector

I got a Celestron Sky Scout. :):unsure::anibad:

This is a GPS enabled unit that is used to learn about the things that you see in the night sky. Thanks wavemom, when I mentioned this in the fall I really didn't expect that you would remeber but I kept my fingers crossed and hoooooraaaay.

I am going to use it to find a geocache. :laughing:

It can do it, maybe it isn't the ideal geocaching unit, that would be a Garmin Oregon, but I will let you know how it works.

Merry Christmas Everyone

I got a Celestron Sky Scout[/url]. :):unsure::anibad:

This is a GPS enabled unit that is used to learn about the things that you see in the night sky. Thanks wavemom, when I mentioned this in the fall I really didn't expect that you would remeber but I kept my fingers crossed and hoooooraaaay.

I am going to use it to find a geocache. :laughing:

It can do it, maybe it isn't the ideal geocaching unit, that would be a Garmin Oregon, but I will let you know how it works.

Merry Christmas Everyone

A WAAS enabled Lump of coal - great unit but hard to see at night... :(

Edited by wkmccall

My wifes stepfather got us both a nuvi 200 each. We had no idea that he was going to do that and we were totally blown away. Derf (Fred backwards) rocks! He's a good guy to us stepkids. :rolleyes:

He knows we cache and thought these might be able to help us out and be good for us on our other road trips as well. We are very happy with his choice.

Edited by Teioneon

Just turn on to Geo Caching by my boss a few weeks ago. Told my wife (Santa) about it and that I would like to get a unit and start finding. Went to Sportsmans a few days ago maybe a week, and told her that I was going to look for a deal on the CSX 60. Well opened a gift this morning and there it was. So we load up the Rover and went and found our first cache. Really cold out and the base of the pole where it was was frozen. Look forward to many more finds.

:rolleyes:

Well Mr.Claus dropped off a new shockproof, waterproof card sized camera...something I can drop in a puddle! Santa must have watched me hiking to worry about the 'big camera.' Now there'll be room in my kit for a Garmin. Santa left an IOU for that. There's so much snow here that I can wait until the January sales to 'cache' that IOU in ~

I got one too, and the equipment to connect it to my NexStar130 (Thanks Honey!).

I've been drooling for one of these ever since LumberJackTom brought one to the Windy Rock event a few years ago. It's an event way out in the country away from most of the light pollution we get here near the big city. I've been taking my telescope to the event for a couple of years now. (This year I even remembered to take the lenses, too. :rolleyes: ). I can hardly wait for next year...we'll be able to find things a lot faster, so we'll get to see even more.

my two boys recieved a Garmin Etrex (the one the Garmin Web site is discontinued). Now I need some help from someone, My family is new to the Geocaching. I want to use this GPS reciever first to understand geocaching before upgrading. and am finding out that I think I need to get a data interface cable. Dos anyone out thereknow where I can obtain one other than the Garmin web site. The one Garmin sells is for hardwiring into another device. looking for one with a USB on the one end.

my two boys recieved a Garmin Etrex (the one the Garmin Web site is discontinued). Now I need some help from someone, My family is new to the Geocaching. I want to use this GPS reciever first to understand geocaching before upgrading. and am finding out that I think I need to get a data interface cable. Dos anyone out thereknow where I can obtain one other than the Garmin web site. The one Garmin sells is for hardwiring into another device. looking for one with a USB on the one end.

I think you need to get a USB to Serial converter, the Etrex interface is an RS-232 interface and many newer computers do not offer an RS-232 port. Garmin does have a cable that connects an Etrex to a standard serial port on a PC but if your PC has no serial port you wil nee dthe USB to serial converter to make the Garmin cable work. My old GPSMap 60 Series used that system and to connect to my laptop I used a Belkin USB to Serial converter and then a standard serial cable from Garmin. You should shop for your own USB to Serial converter, they can be had a lot cheaper than the units I see quoted in the GPS stores. Future Shop or Walmart should offer one that doesn't cost too much money. Once you have that cable connected ands set up you will need the eTrex serial cable and it can be plugged into the com port that is created by the USB to Serial adapter.

You don't need to have this cable. If you just want to test out geocaching then you can manually enter information to your eTrex and use cache page printouts to make sure you have all the information you need.

Good Luck with your etrex and have fun geocaching.

Santa got me a Dell Mini 9. After she hacked my Dell account. I've been paperless almost since I started caching, but this will take it to a new level. No, the Mini won't leave the car, it's my sweetie's job to navigate and manage the caches. She's been addicted to video games since Atari 2600 (then VCS) days so she got a Wii. GSAK is already installed on the Mini and ready to go.

hairball

So, we all gave and got some of the usual stuff...I got a beautiful Canadian geocoin (and another one to keep, so I can release the first one!) and some pathtags and SWAG. Gave the boys the new TXGA geocoins, and we all got some very nice natural walking sticks. Sis and BIL (aceofspays) finally got their own GPSr (eTrex Legend).

But the funnest gift was from aceofspays for me, epochtexas and nycdancerboi. Ace handed us an envelope, containing what looked very similar to a GC page with coords. We grabbed the GPSr and ran outside and plugged them in. Oh, it's right here! So we look (dancerboi quickly "Woot-ed", we had to look for a while longer, much to everyone's amusement!), and finally spot a keyholder on my carport. Inside was a clue about CITO. So we head to the backyard (by the trashcans), and spot a big black bag. Inside is a huge box, wrapped in paper with a giant GC logo that aceofspays handpainted on it (incredible job!). Inside the box was enough container making stuff, lock-n-locks of all sizes, cammo paint and tape, etc...to keep us busy for months. :blink: It was a blast! And even though they are sorta new to GCing, they put so much effort into this gift and had as much fun as we did...personally, I think we've got 'em hooked.

We all then had breakfast, a few Bloody Marys (except dancerboi!), and went and found a few caches. One was a cahce that we had a few DNFs on...finally got it. Aceofspays found the cahce that I placed near where they got married, in their honour, and a few tricky ones in the neighborhood.

All in all, a spectacular day. I am indeed a lucky woman to be surrounded by such a great family. Life is good. :)

I got my oregon 400t so the vista hcx is out anyone want to buy it.
Heh... How much?

I've got the Oregon but I used to have a Legend HCx, and have seriously thought about getting an HCx to "supplement" my new unit. The feature I miss the most: waypoint averaging. Not to mention dependable accuracy in tree cover.

For Christmas, Santa was good to me, geo-wise. I got:

• A hard case for my Oregon (I already broke one touch screen by putting a stick through it!)
  • The "beanbag" mount for my Nuvi
  • A pair of Nano Caches
  • A new headlamp for night caching
  • Travel Bug Dog Tags w/ the car-sized versions for both our vehicles
  • A nice waterproof bag
  • A multi tool, complete with mirror, whistle, thermometer and flashlight
  • A Space Pen (and a refill with green ink, the color I prefer to sign the logbook with!)
  • A Geocaching t-shirt & matching bumper sticker
  • A bag of 20 little (non-trackable) enameled coins for swag

:D:grin::laughing::grin::santa::grin::):grin::D:grin::santa::grin::santa::grin::santa: