Oregon vs PN-40

The Yinnies

With hiking it should work well. The supplied mapping program is powerful, but has a steep learning curve. For caching it is not as good as the Oregon yet, but should catch-up with a planned firmware update that will improve the geocaching functions. For auto routing, it depends. If you want to look up an address and then route to it then the PN-40 is not very good. It will not route you to a specific address, only to a range of addresses on a street.

PN-40 out the box with the provided pre-cut DVD maps fpr auto-routing is mediocre. Oregon plus City Navigator beats the poop out the PN-40 for auto-routing, both hardware and software wise.

Hiking, on par with each other as guidance tools, but the Delorme beats the poop outta the Oregon for available maps and imagery.

Learning how to use? The Oregon is a piece of pie. The PN-40 and the associated desktop software for loading maps etc has a very steep learning curve. Steep.

The other comment I would make about the PN-40 is that it is totally tied to Topo 7. You can not get anything on to the PN-40 unless you run it through Topo 7 first. That to me is a big negative. As for the compass, it is a nice idea and probably pretty good, but with the other large issues with this unit is pretty well gets drowned out.

Jim

The other comment I would make about the PN-40 is that it is totally tied to Topo 7. You can not get anything on to the PN-40 unless you run it through Topo 7 first. That to me is a big negative. As for the compass, it is a nice idea and probably pretty good, but with the other large issues with this unit is pretty well gets drowned out.

Jim

I guess it really depends on what you're looking for the GPS to do. Garmins have to use third party software to pull in the same functions the Topo7 does for the PN-40 which means instead of one tool, you have to manipulate multiple tools for the Garmin functionality. If that's what you want to do, cool. Me, I like working with one interface and make it do what I want it to do. Yes, the learning curve is steep and the interface isn't considered the friendliest, but once you have it figured out, it is easy to navigate and Delorme has forums with excellent help from your peers as well as the Delorme support team.

The tri-axial compass is a neat feature and only one of the items that convinced me to buy the PN-40. Satellite, aerial and USGS topo quads at 1:24,000 is another neat feature. Yes there are some things the Garmin does better, but these are pretty persuasive features in one tool. Let's also add to the fact you can register more than one GPS to the Topo7 software versus one to the Mapsource. (Yah thanks for that Garmin.)

Delorme also encourages sharing data between the GPS receivers off of the same software package. This is something else Garmin doesn't offer. Even though only the Delorme branded GPS units can accept map uploads, all brand GPS receivers can connect to the software and upload or dowload tracks and waypoints.

That's not bad for a second generation hand held.

Jim

I guess it really depends on what you're looking for the GPS to do. Garmins have to use third party software to pull in the same functions the Topo7 does for the PN-40 which means instead of one tool, you have to manipulate multiple tools for the Garmin functionality. If that's what you want to do, cool. Me, I like working with one interface and make it do what I want it to do. Yes, the learning curve is steep and the interface isn't considered the friendliest, but once you have it figured out, it is easy to navigate and Delorme has forums with excellent help from your peers as well as the Delorme support team.

The tri-axial compass is a neat feature and only one of the items that convinced me to buy the PN-40. Satellite, aerial and USGS topo quads at 1:24,000 is another neat feature. Yes there are some things the Garmin does better, but these are pretty persuasive features in one tool. Let's also add to the fact you can register more than one GPS to the Topo7 software versus one to the Mapsource. (Yah thanks for that Garmin.)

Delorme also encourages sharing data between the GPS receivers off of the same software package. This is something else Garmin doesn't offer. Even though only the Delorme branded GPS units can accept map uploads, all brand GPS receivers can connect to the software and upload or dowload tracks and waypoints.

That's not bad for a second generation hand held.

Actually you don't need any tools with a garmin, you can download from the cache page directly. Unless of course you consider GC.com a third party tool. That is still being promised on DeLorme. As for third party tools, there certainly are a variety to choose from, aren't there? Not limited to only one with a difficult interface. As for the topo quads, there are lots of free sources floating around for garmin, and it is possible to roll your own. And you can roll your own specialized maps for garmin. As for registering more than one GPS to mapsource, that is only for the city navigator, there is no restrictions on the topo product or the third party software, like Northwest Trails, that I have on my mapsource. And actually the registraion is not for the mapsource product, but the gps itself. And I need to play around with the software I found to put sat imagery on the garmins.

The three axis compass is neat, I'll give you that.

If DeLorme listens to the feedback and implements, it would be a fine unit.

Now that only real question is, is the PN-40 significantly more accurate that other units under the same conditions? That would be interesting to find out.

Jim

Now that only real question is, is the PN-40 significantly more accurate that other units under the same conditions? That would be interesting to find out.

Jim

I sure wish that I could answer that with results of a side-by-side comparison with a PN-40 and another unit as expressed in the quote. Unfortunately, I have only one, a PN-40, and nothing for which I could compare.

However, using the Hi-Res City 133 photo imagery, available for download in unlimited amounts from DeLorme for an annual subsscription of $30, I did perform a standalone test. I was in the middle of my 4' wide sidewalk and the apex of the triangular current position cursor was at the sidewalk - grass boundary as displayed over the photo imagery.

OTOH, with a demonstrated ±2' accuracy under those conditions at that time, what are the expectations that another unit might have shown better and by how much? What is the value to me of aquiring that information?

At present, I own both the Colorado 300 and the PN-40. I have used both for caching and both for navigating and both for hunting. I realize that the CO is not the OR, but it does have the same Garmin interfaces. Although there is a steep learning curve for the PN-40/Topo 7, it far exceeds anything the Garmin can do with Mapsource or any other mapping software. Secondly, the PN-40 can actually USE its electronic compass in any position, another claim that the Garmin can't make. In fact, I had to disable my electronic compass on the CO to improve the speed and accuracy I needed when caching. Finally, in side-by-side caching experiences of about 150 caches since I got the PN-40, it has been more accurate and faster to zero me in on the caches than the CO. Now, on the converse, the PN-40 can't hold a candle to the CO on screen size (it is easier to read than one might think, and it does redraw very fast). Secondly, at the present, the Garmin far exceeds the 40 in on-road navigation skills/routing. Finally, although DeLorme is promising an exciting geocaching firmware update, at the present, the Garmin is better for managing the caches from gc.com to GPSr, logging your find, and logging the caches back into gc.com. Battery performance is about the same in both under normal use. Now, I have a year of experience with the CO, and a month of experience with the 40, so at this point, I feel more comfortable with the CO overall, but I am loving the existing performance of the 40 on the trail, its maps, and the potential that it has as a caching machine when the firmware updates come. It will probably never replace the CO in the vehicle, but at the cache and on the trail, it has already proven its mettle. When/if I can log my finds from it to gc.com, it will be the overall winner in that regard. I hope this helps. If you have questions, PM me and I will answer what I can. :rolleyes:

Edited by bluemustangpride

I had a Colorado for about 5 weeks and was quite unhappy with the workings and accuracy. The Oregon is different, but Garmin's support was so miserable it will be a long time before I'd ever consider buying from them again. I went with a PN-40 and have been much happier. DeLorme participates frequently in the forums. They seem to actually listen to people and take action. For caching, it sounds like we're about to get a very nice program and update. I don't find Topo 7 to be bad, but maybe a complete computer novice would. And as far as mapping, DeLorme's got everybody beat with unlimited downloads for just $30 per year. In my experiences with DeLorme and Garmin, I'll have to say Garmin will be lucky to ever see a penny of my money ever again.

If DeLorme listens to the feedback and implements, it would be a fine unit.

Jim

I think these forums and the Delorme forums are big proof of their ability to listen and act in a positive manner. More so than Garmin did in their best day.

Firmware updates are fast and furious based on noted issues by the user community. There was a recent FW update that improved the WAAS lock issue some of the units had within 6 weeks of being released to the public. That's pretty impressive in my book. Even Magellan's customer service before they tanked never matched this level.

I appreciate being corrected on my other comments, but lets go over those items.

Actually you don't need any tools with a garmin, you can download from the cache page directly. Unless of course you consider GC.com a third party tool.

Wasn't including this, I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I was merely talking about the mapping tools.

As for third party tools, there certainly are a variety to choose from, aren't there? Not limited to only one with a difficult interface. As for the topo quads, there are lots of free sources floating around for garmin, and it is possible to roll your own. And you can roll your own specialized maps for garmin. As for registering more than one GPS to mapsource, that is only for the city navigator, there is no restrictions on the topo product or the third party software, like Northwest Trails, that I have on my mapsource. And actually the registraion is not for the mapsource product, but the gps itself. And I need to play around with the software I found to put sat imagery on the garmins.

Multiple products to do the same thing as one is a hassle to me easy interface or not. In TopoX, I have been able to do street routing and topographic information for years. In Topo7, I have the luxury of more formats to export to the GPS and now I have a GPS that is capable of auto routing even though it isn't as good as Garmin's capability. But that's what I have my Navigon for.

As for registration of the software, I was talking about being able to register only one GPS (apparently only to Mapsource.) If you want to register more than one GPS, you have to pay $99 per for another licensed use. Not so with T7, thus my point.

And I am capable of using the NWT on T7 when exported to TXT or GPX. I can even take GPSBabel and do the translation for me from Garmin to T7. I'm extremely grateful Moun10Bike is willing to export to the appropriate format and allow me to post it to my website for Delorme users. (I'm currently working on his latest version.) I'm also capable of exporting back out to TXT or GPX format for other users by way of the T7 software. Again, not bad for a single source software.

Yes the interface is difficult to learn. I can easily point out other interfaces that are as difficult and are more widely used. Again, once you figure it out, it is easy to navigate. IMO, this is a weak hook to hang a hat on unless you're a total technophobia.

I did take a serious look at Garmin before making my purchase. I was wowed by the CO and even more so the OR. However, not only was the licensing issue a problem with me, but so was the declining QC of the product releases of the last 2 models, and the declining customer support attitude. I just couldn't see paying the premium price for something when I was going to receive sub par service. I know the problems have been fixed in the CO and OR, but it took an awfully long time for those fixes to come around and the lack of acknowledgment to the point of near denial was appalling to me. Delorme users have been accused of drinking Koolaid, but I really have to wonder at who was actually doing the drinking to accept what I consider to be real big road blocks. :rolleyes:

Sign me as a happy camper in the Delorme camp.

Edited by TotemLake

I have a Garmin Legend HCx, and when I first heard about the Oregon, I was thinking about getting one, but then I heard about the PN-40, too, and that sounded cool, too. So I bought a refurbed PN-20 to give DeLorme a test drive, and I sold it about a month later so I could upgrade to a PN-40. After reading about the problems people were having with the Oregon, I was glad too, especially since it seemed like a lot of the problems were carry-over issues from the Colorado, and that didn't seem right. And while Topo 7.0 was a bit harder to learn than Mapsource, it's fine once you learn it, which didn't really take that long. It's also MUCH more powerful in terms of what it can do, and not having to spend more money on street-level maps for auto-routing is an added bonus. And if you have a problem, search or ask over on forum.delorme.com , and you'll find an answer. Try that on Garmins forums. It's not that I have anything against Garmin, I still like and plan on keeping my Legend HCx, but I prefer the control layout, functionality, and customer care of DeLorme better than Garmin. I've never actually used a CO or OR, though, so I can't speak directly about them, just the general state of complacency that I seem to be seeing from Garmin because they have such a large market share... for now. There are a lot of people going from Garmin to the PN-40, and I think Garmin is going to start feeling that pretty soon.

Hey, Totem, pass the Kool-Aid!

So, what I have been reading is that if you have the time, and some knowledge of a computer the PN-40 out shines the Colorado and the Oregon? I have a 205W for road and will mainly be using it for caching and on the lakes when I am in Three Lakes Wi. It will do fine for this? I have a legend cx for my wife and that I was going to sell for a vista. If I would buy a PN-20 for her I could see how the 40 will work for me.

So, what I have been reading is that if you have the time, and some knowledge of a computer the PN-40 out shines the Colorado and the Oregon? I have a 205W for road and will mainly be using it for caching and on the lakes when I am in Three Lakes Wi. It will do fine for this? I have a legend cx for my wife and that I was going to sell for a vista. If I would buy a PN-20 for her I could see how the 40 will work for me.

You get yourself past the learning curve, you'll do fine with the PN-XX handheld series.

There are some things the DeLorme handhelds don't offer... yet. Direct connection to GC.com for GPX downloads straight to the GPS. Direct connection to GSAK, and the cache size differentiation by icon. The first two are being worked on by DeLorme and third party developers. I am unable to answer for the last hitch. If you can get past these lacking things, then you'll be ok.

You get yourself past the learning curve, you'll do fine with the PN-XX handheld series.

There are some things the DeLorme handhelds don't offer... yet. Direct connection to GC.com for GPX downloads straight to the GPS. Direct connection to GSAK, and the cache size differentiation by icon. The first two are being worked on by DeLorme and third party developers. I am unable to answer for the last hitch. If you can get past these lacking things, then you'll be ok.

So for caching it does not load cache logs, descriptions, or other info? What about the PN-20? Samething? How do you load the caches to the PN's?

So for caching it does not load cache logs, descriptions, or other info? What about the PN-20? Samething? How do you load the caches to the PN's?

Cache info is transferred via PQ or GSAK GPX to the Topo7 then to the GPS. There is currently an 800 character limit to be changed to unlimited. The current organization places Title, Owner, D/T and Hint first, then the general cache page description. Anything left over includes the logs. This is supposed to change as well. I don't know if the PN-20 handles the same information. I just did a quick look at the specs and it isn't mentioned, so will need to depend upon someone else in the know for that answer.

I myself took the plunge and ordered a PN-40 today.I went to a local retailer and almost bought one on the spot after playing around with it however i had a $100 gift card i could use online at walmart. One interesting thing though. Online at their website it listed under accessories " map library annual subscription ".I don't know if that means that a 1 year subscription is included or not .My decision to purchase a Delorme product was motivated by their apparrently genuine desire to make a high quality and innovative product and to back that product up with personal customer service. In my opinion Brand G and brand M better lookout as i see their market share shrinking .

Cache info is transferred via PQ or GSAK GPX to the Topo7 then to the GPS. There is currently an 800 character limit to be changed to unlimited. The current organization places Title, Owner, D/T and Hint first, then the general cache page description. Anything left over includes the logs. This is supposed to change as well. I don't know if the PN-20 handles the same information. I just did a quick look at the specs and it isn't mentioned, so will need to depend upon someone else in the know for that answer.

I geocache with both PN-20 and -40 and there are no differences in what the user does. When one zooms in as they approach the cache, the PN-40 will redraw the screens more quickly.

For those few caches with descriptions longer than 800 characters, one can to an edit, character deletion, in Topo 7 if there is a preference to retain information farther down. I choose to do this on ocassion. It is just another step in forsaking the paper.

Yes, I agree with the projection above that the 800 character limit will be withdrawn with the forthcoming widget, Cache Register.

I myself took the plunge and ordered a PN-40 today.I went to a local retailer and almost bought one on the spot after playing around with it however i had a $100 gift card i could use online at walmart. One interesting thing though. Online at their website it listed under accessories " map library annual subscription ".I don't know if that means that a 1 year subscription is included or not .My decision to purchase a Delorme product was motivated by their apparrently genuine desire to make a high quality and innovative product and to back that product up with personal customer service. In my opinion Brand G and brand M better lookout as i see their market share shrinking .

The annual subscription to the map library is $30 and is an option. I'm guessing that if it is purchased from a retailer, you receive a card in a seperate enclosure. They may also be arranged directly from DeLorme with a phone call and a credit card. For that annual fee, one can download all the high resolution imagery that one wants. I prefer to geocache with the imagery and really don't use the maps for that anymore.

I've owned a Colorado 400t since March. Santa brought a PN-40. There is no comparison between the paperless geocaching experience on the CO (superlative) and the PN-40 (less than stellar). This is one of the places where the CO and OR are similar, so I think advantage goes to the OR here. I'm holding off on final judgement until we see the much promised but not "delivered for the holidays" PN-40 firmware update.

There is no direct way to project a waypoint on the PN-40. Yes, I am familiar with the graphical approach on the map screen. But it's awkward. And, like so many other features on the PN-40, more time-consuming than it needs to be. I've seen some discussion of this problem in the forums, but (unlike other issues), I've yet to see anybody from Delorme comment on it. So I'm guessing this won't get fixed.

Having to crank up Topo7 to move a PQ to the device is another example of making the simple more difficult.

BUT, I got the PN-40 for its library of image data. Delivered as promised! So I'm guessing the CO will be the caching device and the PN-40 the hiking device.

For those with PN-40s... our geocaching firmware update went to our beta testers this week. We're hoping for a fast turn around in testing. I've been using it for a while and am very excited for everyone to see the new features. The gap in geocaching functionality will be closed shortly... Check out our forums for more information...

Chip Noble

Team DeLorme

Having to crank up Topo7 to move a PQ to the device is another example of making the simple more difficult.

Copy that. I asked for a PQ this AM and got the email this afternoon. Topo 7, unzip, open, exchange to PN-40. About 3 minutes, 12 - 15 keystrokes, rough afternoon. 'Bout ready for a PBR. :blink:

Not sayin' it's hard. Just harder than it needs to be.

For those with PN-40s... our geocaching firmware update went to our beta testers this week. We're hoping for a fast turn around in testing. I've been using it for a while and am very excited for everyone to see the new features. The gap in geocaching functionality will be closed shortly... Check out our forums for more information...

Chip Noble

Team DeLorme

And once again, DeLorme comes through. Thanks Chip!

I have a Garmin 60Csx, but wow, sure am impressed by the support of the Delorme folks and their ability/willingness to get updated firmware out to the field. With the ability to overlay satellite imagery on the Delorme units, along with their geocaching functionality, I think they are really starting to give Garmin a run for their money. Moun10bike (forum user) did have an article on his website a couple weeks ago about returning his PN-40 though that was interesting.

Edited by vwaldoguy

I purchased a Colorado 400t and had it for several weeks. I updated the unit several times and the updates did nothing to address the problems it had. It would take much longer to acquire a lock than my 60Csx, changes of direction would confuse it and cause the map to freeze and jerk about wildly for several minutes until it would recover, and the accuracy was always 10-20 feet worse than my 60Csx. I ended up returning the unit for a refund since it was essentially useless for geocaching, the main purpose I purchased it for. I am now considering giving a Delorme PN-40 a try.

Edited by kd4crs

Copy that. I asked for a PQ this AM and got the email this afternoon. Topo 7, unzip, open, exchange to PN-40. About 3 minutes, 12 - 15 keystrokes, rough afternoon. 'Bout ready for a PBR. :D

You left out the part about waiting 10 minutes for the slow and kludgy Topo7 to import the GPX file. The only thing that the PN-40 is better then the Garmin is the satellite and color aerial photography. I took it out caching today and the accuracy is very good, I will give it that.

I really like all the responses and it helped me alot. I am going to wait until I have enough money and buy an Oregon or find a good deal on a Colorado.

Thanks

I don't have any personal experience with the Colorado. I only know what I have read about it. I do own an Oregon 300 and for geocaching it is an excellent unit. I installed City Navigator NT and parts of Topo 2008. As far as automotive use its on par with my Nuvi very accurate. I started out caching with a 60csx back in August, then bought the Oregon in November comparing the two for accuracy I'd say they are on par with each other. My daughter uses a 60csx and when we are at GZ we are standing shoulder to shoulder. The touchscreen interface on the Oregon works very well, and paperless caching feature is superb.

In my opinion I 'd hold out until you can get the Oregon

I really like all the responses and it helped me alot. I am going to wait until I have enough money and buy an Oregon or find a good deal on a Colorado.

Thanks

I don't have any personal experience with the Colorado. I only know what I have read about it. I do own an Oregon 300 and for geocaching it is an excellent unit. I installed City Navigator NT and parts of Topo 2008. As far as automotive use its on par with my Nuvi very accurate. I started out caching with a 60csx back in August, then bought the Oregon in November comparing the two for accuracy I'd say they are on par with each other. My daughter uses a 60csx and when we are at GZ we are standing shoulder to shoulder. The touchscreen interface on the Oregon works very well, and paperless caching feature is superb.

In my opinion I 'd hold out until you can get the Oregon

Did that, it should be here on the 30th.

You left out the part about waiting 10 minutes

Actually, it was an intolerable 20 seconds. Back later - off to Best Buy to see what I can get in trade for this Atari Commodore Lisa.

Actually I was being kind. When I load my GPX file of 10700 caches on my AMD quad core 9850 system it took 12 minutes. 20 seconds is what it takes when I load them into Mapsource. Good luck with that Commodore Lisa, though. :lol:

Edited by Blind Avocado

Chip Noble

Team DeLorme

Looking forward to this update...

Actually, it was an intolerable 20 seconds. Back later - off to Best Buy to see what I can get in trade for this Atari Commodore Lisa.

Actually I was being kind. When I load my GPX file of 10700 caches on my AMD quad core 9850 system it took 12 minutes. 20 seconds is what it takes when I load them into Mapsource. Good luck with that Commodore Lisa, though. :lol:

12 minutes ain't bad for over 10,000 records which include 800 characters in details and it is forced to truncate the leftovers. You're probably looking at a 50MB file (more or less) to translate and import into the software database. I have discovered there is a size limit and it is somehwere between 60-69.5MB for over 13,000 records with 4 logs that will choke the application. I had to create 4 GSAK filters to break this down to manageable chunks.

Actually I was being kind. When I load my GPX file of 10700 caches on my AMD quad core 9850 system it took 12 minutes. 20 seconds is what it takes when I load them into Mapsource. Good luck with that Commodore Lisa, though. :(

Aha, just a small detail left out! :( Geez, and I only had 232, no wonder it was so fast!

Worse yet, I struck out at Big Buy, no trade in credit. :lol:

But, actually, I did have an Atari 400 when they first came out. :lol:

Oh yeah, with 10,700 you must have my hides. One in Costa Mesa and one in Borrego Springs.

.....It will not route you to a specific address, only to a range of addresses on a street.

Yes, a HUGE issue indeed. I just informed my daughter of this and now she is calling the realtor to put her house up for sale.

You see, first time guests relying on the unit may never find her house.

She lives on a 6 house cul-de-sac. :lol:

Perhaps she can buy a condo on Sunset Blvd which is 12 miles long. Then finding that one address among the range it provided while driving 40mph will be a breeze! :lol:

Chip Noble

Team DeLorme

opps can you tell i am new too this ? any way my brother visiting for the holidays got me hooked in just 4 caches! so i have been doing my research and have come to like the pn 40. BUT i am not one that likes to wait for things so how about it chip hit me up with a e mail and get me into the beta testing. i am a geocaching and gps virgin! if i can figuer this out anyone can and what a better way to convince the unbelievers!!!

any way chip help convince me to get one now while i have the money instead of waiting to see if all you promiss actually happens.

team cowboypapa i like your style!!!!! i hope you will rope me in and take me under your wing if i get one of the pn 40's i may need some help.

Edited by fun for the family

Chip Noble

Team DeLorme

opps can you tell i am new too this ? any way my brother visiting for the holidays got me hooked in just 4 caches! so i have been doing my research and have come to like the pn 40. BUT i am not one that likes to wait for things so how about it chip hit me up with a e mail and get me into the beta testing. i am a geocaching and gps virgin! if i can figuer this out anyone can and what a better way to convince the unbelievers!!!

any way chip help convince me to get one now while i have the money instead of waiting to see if all you promiss actually happens.

team cowboypapa i like your style!!!!! i hope you will rope me in and take me under your wing if i get one of the pn 40's i may need some help.

Along with the great help here and all the tips happening on the Delorme Forums, at the request of a couple of cachers local to me, I have also started a DIY tutorial on my website. When and where I see great links to other on-line help, I'll add to the list I've started along with my own. I've taken a couple of different approaches. One of them incorporates common mishaps when setting up tracks to export to your GPS and is very visibly noted with comments when I did this.

Roger that, you got it!

fftf: Regarding my style, it was always great. But since I went to the Dale Carnegie classes/seminars, I really sizzle. :lol:

TL: Great start on the website. If I post anything that you can use, feel free to plagerize away.

Roger that, you got it!

fftf: Regarding my style, it was always great. But since I went to the Dale Carnegie classes/seminars, I really sizzle. :lol:

TL: Great start on the website. If I post anything that you can use, feel free to plagerize away.

Thanks! Whatever I do plagerize, due credit will be provided. This has been a collaborative effort and I see no reason not to keep it that way.