Searching archived caches

flper

No, that feature has been removed. That prompted lots of users to post asking that the feature be restored. We were informed that the search for archived caches feature would be restored. But we are still waiting.

That's a bummer. There's a large park nearby which oddly enough has no caches. I live in an area dense with caches so it's hard to believe none exist in this park. I was hoping to see if there had been caches which had been plundered or otherwise removed for other reasons, but it doesn't appear to be possible.

I guess I'll hide a few and cross my fingers.

No, that feature has been removed. That prompted lots of users to post asking that the feature be restored. We were informed that the search for archived caches feature would be restored. But we are still waiting.

That's a bummer. There's a large park nearby which oddly enough has no caches. I live in an area dense with caches so it's hard to believe none exist in this park. I was hoping to see if there had been caches which had been plundered or otherwise removed for other reasons, but it doesn't appear to be possible.

I guess I'll hide a few and cross my fingers.

I would ask your local reviewer first. The park may have some rules... Edited by TrailGators

One way to find archived caches is to look at the list of caches found by some of the "elders" or early geocachers in your area. Chances are some of the caches they found in their early days have now been archived but will still show up in their list of finds. I've found some very interesting old caches worthy of resurrecting this way. It also often makes VERY intertaining reading! Good Luck.

One way to find archived caches is to look at the list of caches found by some of the "elders" or early geocachers in your area. Chances are some of the caches they found in their early days have now been archived but will still show up in their list of finds. I've found some very interesting old caches worthy of resurrecting this way. It also often makes VERY intertaining reading! Good Luck.

Yes, that can work for a cache that you have some knowledge of. But just randomly searching through every archived find of the "elders" till one turns up in your area of interest is not my idea of fun.

I really didn't think TPTB would cave under the pressure of popular demand when this was first killed.

But they appeared to waver. Or did they?

Perhaps it's time to start a new campaign to find out.

Agreed. I would like to hear some input on the latest plan to restore this feature (or not). It was very useful.

Only recently in my area a newbie placed a cache in a spot that had had problems previously. The new cache already appears to be having the same issues. That could have been avoided if they had been able to see what had been there before and make the appropriate adjustments.

Only recently in my area a newbie placed a cache in a spot that had had problems previously. The new cache already appears to be having the same issues. That could have been avoided if they had been able to see what had been there before and make the appropriate adjustments.

Lets at least use valid arguments about this. How many newbies actually read anything. And assuming you actually found the rare exception, was the newbie even a Premium Member? This was a feature for knowledgeable users. It used to work. It still works for Reviewers. I can't believe it would be hard to make it work again. Are they going to bring this back, or did they weave a web of deception? They can't possibly think we are going to forget about this.

I would ask your local reviewer first. The park may have some rules...

I haven't had good luck with the local reviewers, so I won't bother them. If the caches go missing or if the approvers don't approve them, then I'll just cut my losses or retrieve the containers.

I would ask your local reviewer first. The park may have some rules...

I haven't had good luck with the local reviewers, so I won't bother them. If the caches go missing or if the approvers don't approve them, then I'll just cut my losses or retrieve the containers.

You're going to place containers in a Park that MIGHT have an explicit ban on Geocaching, and submit the cache page to find out? Sounds like a plan.

A bad one.

You're going to place containers in a Park that MIGHT have an explicit ban on Geocaching, and submit the cache page to find out? Sounds like a plan.

A bad one.

I guess that's my point. How are we supposed to know if there's a ban on them? There's nothing to lead me to believe there's an outright ban on using this park. Just seems odd that none exist.

I submitted the cache listing yesterday and added a note to the reviewer asking if they can look up any archived caches in the park. Since it's not far and I go there regularly, it's not a big deal to retrieve the container in case it's not approved.

Is that still a bad plan?

I guess that's my point. How are we supposed to know if there's a ban on them? There's nothing to lead me to believe there's an outright ban on using this park. Just seems odd that none exist.

If "you don't know that there is a ban in a particular place", then "you did not get permission to place a cache in that place, and didn't really read the agreement you signed".

Read the rules on the creat a cache page, read them again. Don't attempt to get a cache publ;ished until you have.

You would call the agency that's in charge of the park. If it's a town park, you call the town. If it's a state park, you would call the state parks department. If it's a private land trust, you'd call the land trust manager.

You would call the agency that's in charge of the park. If it's a town park, you call the town. If it's a state park, you would call the state parks department. If it's a private land trust, you'd call the land trust manager.

I guess I'd better go retrieve the cache. I simply was wanting to be able to search archived caches to see if this was a problem area (caches plundered, etc), but didn't expect to get ripped on this. I never really even thought about there being a ban on caches in this park since it's a city park, and Dallas has thousands of caches in various parks throughout the city, and it has baseball fields, horseback trails, etc, so didn't think it was some kind of nature preserve.

Regarding permission, I know the rules on hiding caches on private land, national forests, etc. But I wasn't aware that we needed to call and get permission for hiding a cache anywhere even on public lands. I'll just stick to finding them as opposed to hiding them. How's that?