Geo- Hostage?

besty45

We have a few caches in my area that have disposable cameras in them, as well as different objects or characters that you're supposed to take a picture of yourself with and the owner will eventually download the photos to the site. Would it be wrong to take the character "hostage" and place in an already existing very hard cache or to create a new cache for the owner to come back and retrieve the character? I think it would be hilarious and a lot of fun. What do you think?

examples of cachesRubber Chicken Cache

Spud Masher One

What carleenp said.

I would not do it even if I knew the person. Once the object is in another cache, if someone mistook it for a trade item and took it, I'd feel (and indeed I would be) personally responsible for replacing it. Even if the "character" had explicit instructions not to be moved. I've seen enough TBs go one way when instructions attached to them said to move it in another direction to know not everyone reads.

Most of us around here would find it Funny But there are some that would Pi** all over you for that. And like Harry said he would take your whole cache and hide it. Now if it were a freind of mine I would take pictures with it in front of his House or car at work and not say a word untill he publishes the pictures, making sure it's back in the cache verry soon, as not to be missed.

How this kind of thing is taken has a lot to do with your relationship with the other person. If you played an unrelated prank on a stranger they'd think "Wow, that guy's mean." If you played it on a friend they'd be like "Oh that besty." If you played it on an enemy, they'd think it was just another jab.

We have a few caches in my area that have disposable cameras in them, as well as different objects or characters that you're supposed to take a picture of yourself with and the owner will eventually download the photos to the site. Would it be wrong to take the character "hostage" and place in an already existing very hard cache or to create a new cache for the owner to come back and retrieve the character? I think it would be hilarious and a lot of fun. What do you think?

examples of cachesRubber Chicken Cache

Spud Masher One

I don't see the "funny" in that for anyone but you, don't do it. And why did you give example cache links to two caches that are unpublished?

Well, I think it would be funny but as others have said, probably wouldn't be met with enjoyment. We had an "incident" here that was a joke that turned ugly. A local cacher was going to swap all the TBs from one TB hotel with ones from another TB hotel - he called it Kidnapping. It was actually a pretty funny gag but wasn't met with much appreciation - here's his log. However, he did create a pretty cool cache from the experience: GCJA8H

How this kind of thing is taken has a lot to do with your relationship with the other person. If you played an unrelated prank on a stranger they'd think "Wow, that guy's mean." If you played it on a friend they'd be like "Oh that besty." If you played it on an enemy, they'd think it was just another jab.

Yeah, definitely depends on your relationship with them. If you only "know" this person from the internet, and never met in person, you'd be crazy to do this. If you only met them personally within the last couple of years through geocaching, you'd probably still be crazy to do it. Now if you've known them since childhood, and have a pretty good idea of how they would take this whole thing, then maybe. :rolleyes: