Wooden coins

geodc

Hello again..still having fun as we have just started in Nov,2008 still very new.

We saw a website for wooden nickles and want to order some to leave in caches ..however the company says we need to send them a design we like ..e-mail or such. Anyway I did find geonickles.com they will contact me soon. Any ideas? Thanks so much!

Hello again..still having fun as we have just started in Nov,2008 still very new.

We saw a website for wooden nickles and want to order some to leave in caches ..however the company says we need to send them a design we like ..e-mail or such. Anyway I did find geonickles.com they will contact me soon. Any ideas? Thanks so much!

Don't be afraid to spend some time making a design that really reflects you. I have a wooden nickle that is extremely rare, as far as I know it was one of four that were hand made by a cacher. I like signature items, they are my favourite thing to find in a cache.

Go ahead and submit a design that you like. If you can't create your own design then many places will help you design a wooden nickle.

Don't forget to put your geocaching nick on the nickle. <_<

Don't be afraid to spend some time making a design that really reflects you. I have a wooden nickle that is extremely rare, as far as I know it was one of four that were hand made by a cacher. I like signature items, they are my favourite thing to find in a cache.

Go ahead and submit a design that you like. If you can't create your own design then many places will help you design a wooden nickle.

Don't forget to put your geocaching nick on the nickle. :shocked:

Thanks for the resoponse ..yes we really would like to design one ..but how? Maybe we have to send in a design and the "coin maker" makes one? We don't know how to design one on the computor..as they say, "fill out the form and such ..we are not so computor literate. And especially do not know how to send them"the coin people" a design we don't know how to submit,and don't know how to draw up one. We like the wooden coin concept, easy to leave in the cache.

Thanks for the resoponse ..yes we really would like to design one ..but how? Maybe we have to send in a design and the "coin maker" makes one? We don't know how to design one on the computor..as they say, "fill out the form and such ..we are not so computor literate. And especially do not know how to send them"the coin people" a design we don't know how to submit,and don't know how to draw up one. We like the wooden coin concept, easy to leave in the cache.

Most manufacturers are looking for artwork in a specific format but many can and will work from something as simple as a faxed sketch. A good place to start creating a design is by using a program like Paint Shop or Corel Draw, even Paint will work but vector images scale better. If you make a large design (letter size) it should scale down OK but again, remember, details that work at full size may be unusable or unseen when it is shrunk to wooden nickel size.

You need a sketch or drawing for each side of the coin, keep in mind is that it needs to fit inside a circle.

The sky is the limit on design elements, your geocaching nick is good start, maybe a date showing when you started geocaching, phrases that you like that relate to geocaching, there really is no guide to the things make a good choice for a wooden nickel.

I have taken a few pictures of wooden nickels for you to look at and each is different, they give you an idea of what you can do with wooden nickels.

The first is a handmade wooden nickel and it is also handpainted.

The second is a simple wooden nickel that is one colour and a very easy design

The third is a full on geocoin design, printed on wood, it is a four colour wooden nickel.

I will go and find my second favourite wooden nickel, it is a true labour of love made by BC geocachers the Kootenay Pirates, it is a piece of art more than it is a wooden nickel.

Here are some pics that will give you some design ideas

WoodenNickleSideOne.jpg

WoodenNickleSideTwo.jpg

Most manufacturers are looking for artwork in a specific format but many can and will work from something as simple as a faxed sketch. A good place to start creating a design is by using a program like Paint Shop or Corel Draw, even Paint will work but vector images scale better. If you make a large design (letter size) it should scale down OK but again, remember, details that work at full size may be unusable or unseen when it is shrunk to wooden nickel size.

You need a sketch or drawing for each side of the coin, keep in mind is that it needs to fit inside a circle.

The sky is the limit on design elements, your geocaching nick is good start, maybe a date showing when you started geocaching, phrases that you like that relate to geocaching, there really is no guide to the things make a good choice for a wooden nickel.

I have taken a few pictures of wooden nickels for you to look at and each is different, they give you an idea of what you can do with wooden nickels.

The first is a handmade wooden nickel and it is also handpainted.

The second is a simple wooden nickel that is one colour and a very easy design

The third is a full on geocoin design, printed on wood, it is a four colour wooden nickel.

I will go and find my second favourite wooden nickel, it is a true labour of love made by BC geocachers the Kootenay Pirates, it is a piece of art more than it is a wooden nickel.

Here are some pics that will give you some design ideas

WoodenNickleSideOne.jpg

WoodenNickleSideTwo.jpg

Thanks ..great pics of the nickles! We have seen some,I guess we do have to draw one up, once that is done ..then we are on our way, thanks again ..we will try with a paint shop or something and try with graphics ..Thanks again

Thanks ..great pics of the nickles! We have seen some,I guess we do have to draw one up, once that is done ..then we are on our way, thanks again ..we will try with a paint shop or something and try with graphics ..Thanks again

Here is a final picture set of one of the finest signature items I have ever seen. This is a very high quality wooden nickel and it is handmade. Geocachers who make signature items of this quality are rare. This wooden nickel has an unbelievable finish. I believe it was made using decoupage techniques and that allows the design items to be printed out on paper then incorporated into the coin.

I am not sure how the finish was achieved but geocachers are smart and crafty, it is an activity that appeals to people who have those qualities.

Most geocachers like personal items and really appreciate handmade signature items, I think they are the most desirable items in any cache.

This wooden nickel has such a high grade finish it is difficult to get a good picture, I had to turn the flash off so these pics may be a bit dark.

KootenayPiratesWoodenNickleSideOne.jpg

KootenayPiratesWoodenNickleSideTwo.jpg

Edited by wavector

Here is a final picture set of one of the finest signature items I have ever seen. This is a very high quality wooden nickel and it is handmade. Geocachers who make signature items of this quality are rare. This wooden nickel has an unbelievable finish. I believe it was made using decoupage techniques and that allows the design items to be printed out on paper then incorporated into the coin.

I am not sure how the finish was achieved but geocachers are smart and crafty, it is an activity that appeals to people who have those qualities.

Most geocachers like personal items and really appreciate handmade signature items, I think they are the most desirable items in any cache.

This wooden nickel has such a high grade finish it is difficult to get a good picture, I had to turn the flash off so these pics may be a bit dark.

KootenayPiratesWoodenNickleSideOne.jpg

KootenayPiratesWoodenNickleSideTwo.jpg

Really nice thanks for sharing!!