Vegan boots?

Waroku

Hello all,

First off I would like to say that I will probably be asking a lot of questions about finding vegan gear hopefully some of you will be able to help.

I should say that I am not the vegan but rather my girlfriend I on the other hand am just a vegetarian.

So heres the question she is looking to find vegan (Meaning absolutely no animal parts) boots that are rated to at least -40 and cost around $100 or less we have had little luck so far if we find a pair the store is out of her size or they aren't suited for the withers here in northern Ohio.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

thanx

Waroku

Hello all,

First off I would like to say that I will probably be asking a lot of questions about finding vegan gear hopefully some of you will be able to help.

I should say that I am not the vegan but rather my girlfriend I on the other hand am just a vegetarian.

So heres the question she is looking to find vegan (Meaning absolutely no animal parts) boots that are rated to at least -40 and cost around $100 or less we have had little luck so far if we find a pair the store is out of her size or they aren't suited for the withers here in northern Ohio.

thanx

Waroku

Military Surplus Bunny Boots. So far as I know they are 100% artifical. No idea on price.

Hello all,

thanx

Waroku

Military Surplus Bunny Boots. So far as I know they are 100% artifical. No idea on price.

$69 but the wool may present an issue

these?

Sorel makes quite a few winter boots now using 600-1000 denier nylon and rubber.

I have a pair of their "glacier" pacs (also made in womens') and four years later, show no real wear. I spray silicone on the nylon and use armor-all on the rubber.

They seem to be more popular than their leather ones.

Also, the inserts on the newer packs no longer use wool.

Look online and you'll find a good number of boots made up of HEMP.

Some folks say it holds up well, but I'm not so sure about the constant damp of Winter. Maybe with some silicone treatment.

As a "child of the sixties", curious whether after a long day on the trail, you could pinch a corner off somewhere and... :shocked:

Cache safe.

I'm glad to say the we stumbled on to a Payless website and found out that Airwalk makes a whole line of animal free snowboarding boots that only cost about $50 a pair. We bought a pair for my gf yesterday and tried them out on a 5 mile hike at a local park. they held up well and kept her warm so for now they are the vegan boot of choice.

Thank you all so much for the links and advice you would be surprised just how many people will shun us for not eating meat or wearing animal products. It's nice to see that people here don't have issues with it.

Thanx again

Waroku

LOL! :blink: I knew someone would eventually ask a question like this. The answer is no she won't be eating them. It's just a personal choice that she has made not to USE any products that contain animal parts. It was a bit difficult for me to get my head around at first but it has become a part of our lives reading every label and doing an over abundance of research before buying many products. The really hard part comes when we have to buy any sort of chemical product and she breaks out the animal testing book to see what products have been tested on animals. We try to not buy anything that has used animals for testing. Like I said it can be a bit tricky but you get used to it. :)

LOL! :blink: I knew someone would eventually ask a question like this. The answer is no she won't be eating them. It's just a personal choice that she has made not to USE any products that contain animal parts. It was a bit difficult for me to get my head around at first but it has become a part of our lives reading every label and doing an over abundance of research before buying many products. The really hard part comes when we have to buy any sort of chemical product and she breaks out the animal testing book to see what products have been tested on animals. We try to not buy anything that has used animals for testing. Like I said it can be a bit tricky but you get used to it. :D

Well, I can certainly understand that she doesn’t want to eat animal products (even if I think it’s odd). She should look at it this way; it would be terribly wasteful NOT to wear leather boots. After they peel the hide off the animal to get to the meat (for those of us who enjoy such things), should they just throw it away? No, of course not. They may as well put it to use by making boots, stylish jackets, handbags, and belts. It’s the circle of life!

:)

I understand what you are saying. But, for her it's a matter of avoiding the industry as a whole. Look at it this way you eat it you wear it. :D If there was no meat industry there would be no leather industry so it all is in a circle of sorts but I certainly wouldn't call it a circle of life.

LOL! :D I knew someone would eventually ask a question like this. The answer is no she won't be eating them. It's just a personal choice that she has made not to USE any products that contain animal parts. It was a bit difficult for me to get my head around at first but it has become a part of our lives reading every label and doing an over abundance of research before buying many products. The really hard part comes when we have to buy any sort of chemical product and she breaks out the animal testing book to see what products have been tested on animals. We try to not buy anything that has used animals for testing. Like I said it can be a bit tricky but you get used to it. :D

And do you avoid dairy? Or do you eat cheese made with the fake rennet? Do you wear any faux animal products? Do you buy vegan / vegetarian products made to mimic animal products? Do you only buy foodstuffs which were raised without pesticides? what if you find a worm in an apple? Do you set it free? Should you buy any products made in countries with poor animal rights histories? Do you make sure any medical procedure you receive has not been perfected using animals? What about medicines and vaccines made from animal products? Lots of things to ponder.

Hello all,

thanx

Waroku

$69 but the wool may present an issue

these?

Good catch. I got a catalog in the mail the night I wrote this and saw wool The strange thing is the white ones I used as a kid seemed all synthetic. Maybe they had wool in them after all. As for wool being a problem, the sheep live through the process unlike leather so it's where you draw the line. As my kids grapple with these concepts I ask them "what makes plants any less worthy? The point being to remind them that there is a design and we are part if it and that while we can choose our place within it, we can't escape it.

I find vegans kind of silly. They seem to them people are better than other animals. I support their choice, but humans are omnivores and are meant use animal products. Biologically that means to eat the animals, but we shouldn't waist the any part that is usable. :D I am glad they are a minority, but they do act in tempering the attitudes of pro animal testing companies; that part of their beliefs i fully support.

just my 2 cents. good luck in finding what you need. Have you thought about natural death leather?

waroku.. I am not going to pass judgement on your (or your GF's) life choices. If you don't want to consume animal products more power to you.

That part about wool had me thinking. I am not up on my veganism so please bare with my NewB questions. Would those boots be exceptable? The wool is substainable so it's not like the animal dies. One could argue about in humane conditions. Do they have free range sheep? ;)

You don't live in a house made of wood do you? Many animals are killed during the harvesting of trees... From the tiny little insect to large furry rodents...

The only way I can see for your GF to completely avoid harming animals would be to shoot herself to the moon on a rocket.... You might miss her though ;) I guess at some point you have to apply higher value to human life than animal life <pondering>

The point is to make as minimal an impact as possible I wouldn't consider my GF to be an extremist but believe me there are some out there. Some choose live entirely off the grid where they can grow their own food & live with out harming anything (or as close to it as you can get). I was just asking for help finding boots I didn't think that this would turn into an ethics debate. If you wanted to you could sit down and easily poke holes in the beliefs or ethical choices of every person in the world. The fact remains that you can be understanding of the choices made by others or you can attempt to belittle them because they don't see the world in the same way that you do.

As for the questions above

about wool, it all comes down to personal choice and what information can be gathered about the wools source. My GF for example has no issue with alpaca wool because we can go to the local farm and see that the alpaca are well kept before we buy wool from that farm. But, like I said Its personal choice.

do you avoid dairy? Or do you eat cheese made with the fake rennet? I eat dairy but my GF does not.

Do you wear any faux animal products? I have a fake leather jacket buy my GF doesn't wear anything made of faux animal parts if she can help it she says they look tacky.

Do you buy vegan / vegetarian products made to mimic animal products? If you mean like "not dogs" or "bocca burgers" we only eat these things if were in a restaurant with very few vegan/vegi choices. For the most part they taste like rubber. And how I see it is why eat something that is supposed to taste like what your avoiding?

Do you only buy foodstuffs which were raised without pesticides? If we can then yes, We will either buy from local growers or to a market about an hour from home that sells only pesticide free produce. But the world we live in is what it is and sometimes you have to buy what you can get.

what if you find a worm in an apple? Do you set it free? Yes thus why I buy locally grown food so that the worms freedom will not affect the eco system.

Should you buy any products made in countries with poor animal rights histories? First off we always try to buy local merchandise. Secondly it comes down to the company and the country purchases should support animal rights as best they can.

Do you make sure any medical procedure you receive has not been perfected using animals? sadly that isn't possible almost every procedure has been perfected on animals.

What about medicines and vaccines made from animal products? I recall one time I sat at a 24h drug store for almost an hour reading ingredients on different brands of "NyQuill" until I found one that my GF could use that should answer your question.

I don't mind answering real questions about being a vegi or vegan I just ask that you treat our decision to be meat free with the same respect that we treat your decision to eat meat. We are all free to make our own choices. Like I said I was just asking for advice on boots not for an ethical discussion.

...I don't mind answering real questions about being a vegi or vegan I just ask that you treat our decision to be meat free with the same respect that we treat your decision to eat meat. We are all free to make our own choices. Like I said I was just asking for advice on boots not for an ethical discussion.

Very nice. Your willness to talk without being rabid would make for some very good philisophical conversations. It would be easy to fill the space between caches with all kinds of thought provoking talk.

The point is to make as minimal an impact as possible I wouldn't consider my GF to be an extremist but believe me there are some out there. Some choose live entirely off the grid where they can grow their own food & live with out harming anything (or as close to it as you can get). I was just asking for help finding boots I didn't think that this would turn into an ethics debate. If you wanted to you could sit down and easily poke holes in the beliefs or ethical choices of every person in the world. The fact remains that you can be understanding of the choices made by others or you can attempt to belittle them because they don't see the world in the same way that you do.

As for the questions above

about wool, it all comes down to personal choice and what information can be gathered about the wools source. My GF for example has no issue with alpaca wool because we can go to the local farm and see that the alpaca are well kept before we buy wool from that farm. But, like I said Its personal choice.

do you avoid dairy? Or do you eat cheese made with the fake rennet? I eat dairy but my GF does not.

Do you wear any faux animal products? I have a fake leather jacket buy my GF doesn't wear anything made of faux animal parts if she can help it she says they look tacky.

Do you buy vegan / vegetarian products made to mimic animal products? If you mean like "not dogs" or "bocca burgers" we only eat these things if were in a restaurant with very few vegan/vegi choices. For the most part they taste like rubber. And how I see it is why eat something that is supposed to taste like what your avoiding?

Do you only buy foodstuffs which were raised without pesticides? If we can then yes, We will either buy from local growers or to a market about an hour from home that sells only pesticide free produce. But the world we live in is what it is and sometimes you have to buy what you can get.

what if you find a worm in an apple? Do you set it free? Yes thus why I buy locally grown food so that the worms freedom will not affect the eco system.

Should you buy any products made in countries with poor animal rights histories? First off we always try to buy local merchandise. Secondly it comes down to the company and the country purchases should support animal rights as best they can.

Do you make sure any medical procedure you receive has not been perfected using animals? sadly that isn't possible almost every procedure has been perfected on animals.

What about medicines and vaccines made from animal products? I recall one time I sat at a 24h drug store for almost an hour reading ingredients on different brands of "NyQuill" until I found one that my GF could use that should answer your question.

I don't mind answering real questions about being a vegi or vegan I just ask that you treat our decision to be meat free with the same respect that we treat your decision to eat meat. We are all free to make our own choices. Like I said I was just asking for advice on boots not for an ethical discussion.

As long as you've pondered those things and realize what the lifestyle encompasses, I can respect your / her decision. Its the folks who are vegan / vegetarian that do it for acceptance or status (like celebs) I dislike.

As for the faux animal products, I do think it sends the wrong message to wear something that someone might mistake for an animal product -- ie fake fur, pleather, etc...

I tried TSP once after someone suggested I go meatless -- all I can say is the increase in greenhouse gases were more harmful to the environment than me eating Bambi.

Waroku, I'm interested in the fact that your girlfriend is using snowboarding boots to walk in, all snowboarding boots I know of have a forward lean on them (like ski boots), is that not uncomfortable?

I do know that there are non leather mountaineering boots available, I wouldn't like to say if all the glues used in them are animal free though.

So far she likes them our longest hike after buying the boots was about 8 miles over moderate terrain and she didn't complain at all. They seem to hold up to the cold and keep out the wet but we'll see if they are still in one piece after a month or two of hiking.

Oh yeah for the TSP topic its most often referred to as TVP for textured vegetable protein. While a lot of it is mostly soy it can contain other vegetable ingredients.

I was just asking for help finding boots I didn't think that this would turn into an ethics debate.

That is the first lesson to learn in here. We are for the most part good people but if you mention something even remotely controversial it will be beaten to death and could go on days.

Somehow I doubt it was TSP... while you might have felt like you had a chemical burn in your gastrointestinal tract, it was probably of a different sort.

Strangely trisodium phosphate was also the first thing that popped into my head.

- Rev Mike