Are forums a good place for information?

Manville Possum

The Groundspeak forums are much more friendly than a lot of forums on the net. It you have a question about someting tangentially related (stole the word from briansnat) to geocaching, you will probably get an almost immediate answer. There may be some head butting once in a while, but the moderators really do a great job of keeping things civil.

The Groundspeak forums are much more friendly than a lot of forums on the net. It you have a question about someting tangentially related (stole the word from briansnat) to geocaching, you will probably get an almost immediate answer. There may be some head butting once in a while, but the moderators really do a great job of keeping things civil.

I have been using forums in one form or another on the internet for 25 years and this one is quite tame compared to some.

If you really want to get an immediate answer, post an incorrect response to a question.

Like every other forum I have participated in, the information is only as useful as what existing participants will provide, and any information you read is being provided purely on a volunteer basis. Those that have been participating in a forum for any length of time have invested a lot of time and every forum will develop it's own atmosphere and generally accepted level of civility. One of the best ways to get an adverse response in the forum is to come into a forum you've never visited and try to change how people should respond to each other. Like any other forum, it's a good idea to read for awhile to get a sense of the landscape before jumping in and trying to change it.

Most of the unpleasantness is restricted to the Geocaching Topics forum, I've noticed. I haven't seen much actual flaming there, but there are a few long-winded arguments about "what people thought someone said about what they said in response to the thing that they other person thought they meant when they said this other thing"

The Getting Started is usually a great place for new cachers to get information on everything to do with caching and the GPS and Technology forum is a great place to get advice on using particular units, or fixing problems (Although there used to be Garmin vs Magellan debates there and nowdays there are Oregon vs PN-40 vs Garmin 60CSx debates in the Technology forum).

The moderators in the Getting Started forums do a pretty thorough job of making sure people remember that most of the questions posted in this forum are by newcomers who don't know the answers, or they wouldn't ask. A lot of people who "don't mind answering the same question for the 100th time" drop in here to help out newbies. It's probably the "safest" thread in the forums for new folks.

Thanks, we joke with each other on the c.b. out on the big road. It helps to pass the time and is all in fun. Briansnat sent me a warming about a comment I made about Keystone in the unlisted caches forum, I did'nt mean to hurt his feelings and did not know reviewers were treated any different than other forum users. I have a unlisted cache for my discovery coins only. I am one of less than five geocachers that place caches in my area. I will keep cacheing just like I used to, but will no longer use any forums. The mistake that I feel I have made is paying to be a member.

Big Rig.

Site volunteers must play by the rules too. If anything, we are held to a higher standard. Your actual mistake was to accuse me of something that isn't true. Now, you've compounded the error by alleging a double standard.

I will be happy to explain all this in more detail if it's still unclear. That is the goal here in the "Getting Started" forum.

I have been using forums in one form or another on the internet for 25 years and this one is quite tame compared to some.

Heh, that's the truth. I moderated a forum on the RIME network in the early 90s. People whose only forum experience is here, have no idea what a real flame war is like.

I have been flaming people on the Internet for many many years. :)

That is wrong...I meant to say I have been flamed many many times.

The best flames are the ones that burn you much much later.

Flame wars are won when one side cracks and starts heaping insults and abuse on the other, insults and abuse are not flaming.

Flaming is an art, the target is never your opponent, it is always the audience.

People not experienced in the art of digital warfare often miss this nuance and when they do flame they are just blowtorching their opponent and they lose the audience.

There are some pretty good flamers in here and there are a few popinjays.

Cleaving to the line means you never have to duck, quack quack.

I actually had a moderator from this board send me a private message and this is what he said...

...general attacks on an idea will not be tolerated.

So there you go, an idea whose time has come, a forum where you are not even allowed to attack ideas. <_<

Pretty much. Forums are a nice, safe place for Internet Tough Guys to say and do things they wouldn't have the guts to do face-to-face (without getting decked).

Conversations held on the Internet are "conversations".

The threat of physical violence is the sign of a real tough guy and everyone knows where the real tough guys are.

Many prisons today allow prisoners to post messages on the Internet.

Are you telling us that when people say things that you do not receive well you punch them?

Are you suggesting that this is a normal response to people who are saying things?

Leading a life of consequences are you?

<_<

This is a test flame, no posters were injured by this post, no one should be punched, even if they didn't like what I said.

Edited by wavector

Heh, that's the truth. I moderated a forum on the RIME network in the early 90s. People whose only forum experience is here, have no idea what a real flame war is like.

Venture into the REC.SKIING.ALPINE usenet forum and you'll see a real flamefest. People have been fired from their jobs, had their tires slashed and been prohibited by court order from posting there over posts in that forum. The most innocuous question about what kind of skis someone should buy, or what resort is a good one is turned into the most vile name calling and threats within about 3 posts.

You'd think the chief perpetrators would tire of it after all these years, but I go back there once in a while and the same people are still at it and have been for at least 10 years.

In reality this place is all flowers and cherry pie compared to many Internet forums.

Edited by briansnat

flowers and cherry pie

There is pie?

And you didn't tell me?

Are you keeping all the pie for yourself?

Did Brian tell anyone there was cherry pie, I bet he didn't.

If I lived closer to you I would slash your tires for that.

Actually I probably wouldn't because they might toss me in the same cell as Girgorii and then I would live in fear of getting "decked". :shocked:

Hey briansnat, what kind of GPS should I buy? :shocked:

This is a test flame, no posters were injured by this post, no one should be punched, even if they didn't like what I said. No one should slash anyone's tires, keep flame levels moderated at all times because many people have delicate skin.

Site volunteers must play by the rules too. If anything, we are held to a higher standard. Your actual mistake was to accuse me of something that isn't true. Now, you've compounded the error by alleging a double standard.

I will be happy to explain all this in more detail if it's still unclear. That is the goal here in the "Getting Started" forum.

Basiclly saying, Everyone must play by the rules.

Off topic: Cool holiday avatar Keystone!

Briansnat sent me a warming about a comment I made about Keystone in the unlisted caches forum, I did'nt mean to hurt his feelings and did not know reviewers were treated any different than other forum users

They are different than other forum posters. They are not only very familiar with the rules, they are tasked with enforcing them. Do you play with matches in front of a fireman?

I will keep cacheing just like I used to, but will no longer use any forums.

Thanks for the heads up Big Rig. We'll be here if you change your mind.

...or just another way to degrade each other?

Big _igger.

Pretty much. Forums are a nice, safe place for Internet Tough Guys to say and do things they wouldn't have the guts to do face-to-face (without getting decked).

Ignore 'em. Go caching, instead!

Cache Safe,

Grigorii Rasputin

There is alot of truth in that statement. :shocked:

I'm looking forward to meeting some of my buddies later.

Do you play with matches in front of a fireman?

Thanks for the heads up Big Rig. We'll be here if you change your mind.

This is just so not "flowers and cherry pie".

Your ruthless and "repeated" :shocked: attack has likely left an indelible mark on delicate skin.

The rules are clear, no name calling, so it doesn't matter if you think that Keystone is a "fireman", you cannot attack him for that. These forums are also not to be used for attacks on ideas.

If Big-igger is leaving and thinks that this idea is a "good one", to use my own parlance, and you attack that idea then you might find yourself facing a court order, you could even lose your job.

I cannot imagine that you think you can impose some type of restraint that will ensure that I am here should Big-igger decide to return. This is just an outright attack on my freedom and I am shocked, you must be one of those "Internet Tough Guys" that "deck" people when you meet them in person.

We are wholesome and sweet around here and your "explosion" style avatar signals anything but that, I have an idea, it is another "good one" and as such it is not allowed to be attacked. You should get an avatar that has some flowers and such, maybe something in a pastel pink.

:shocked: OK, this post is so not funny, whose idea was this thread?

This is a test flame, no posters were injured by this post, no one should be punched, even if they didn't like what I said. No one should slash anyone's tires, keep flame levels moderated at all times because many people have delicate skin. Remember people, flowers and cherry pie, flowers and cherry pie, try and keep the flowers pink.

Edited by wavector