60 CSx vs. Colorado

jimsteel71

The Colorado had many problems and there were a lot of complaints from geocachers about it. At a recent Garmin display I visited, the Colorado was the only handheld unit in Garmin's line that the rep didn't have. When I asked him about it he said "We don't push the Colorado..."

I think that says enough about the Colorado. Get the 60CSX despite what Wavector will tell you

While the 60CSx is the tried and true choice here - don't completely overlook the Colorado. Amazon has the Colorado 300 at $230 and there is a $50 Garmin rebate for an end price of $180. The 60CSx is still above $260.

Almost all of the problems in the Colorado have been ironed out and it truely has a paperless Geocaching capability without any macros or 3rd party software.

Maybe it isn't the unit they are pushing but it works well especially if your primary purpose is Geocaching.

And I'd say that if your primary purpose is geocaching, get the Garmin 60CSx instead of the Colorado.

Interesting how opinions vary, isn't it?

Most of the people I know who really like their Colorado (or Oregon) have never owned a 60CSx. The folks who have owned both told me to stick with the 60CSx. The forum posts I read about it have also convinced me not to try the Colorado or the Oregon or even the PN-40 yet. You need to know that I really love new tools & toys and I really liked the idea of the built-in PDA feature, so I was eager to learn about the Colorado/Oregons/PN-40s in hopes of getting a new toy.

There have been lots of threads about this topic recently...bottom line is the Colorado (and the Oregon) doesn't have some very handy capabilities for caching or for navigation that the 60CSx does have--and it wasn't worth doing without those things just to have a PDA built into your gps.

Of course, you haven't owned a 60CSx, so you won't know what you are missing. You may indeed like the Colorado and appreciate the savings.

Any gps unit will get you to the cache...some just do it more elegantly than others.

The Colorado had many problems and there were a lot of complaints from geocachers about it. At a recent Garmin display I visited, the Colorado was the only handheld unit in Garmin's line that the rep didn't have. When I asked him about it he said "We don't push the Colorado..."

I think that says enough about the Colorado. Get the 60CSX despite what Wavector will tell you

Thanks- now do what additional software/maps do I need to buy- I live in SW Georgia and will be concentrating in the southeast.

If you buy a 60CSx, it comes with a very basic basemap with US and state roads, but no street-level maps. You can buy Topo 2008 to add contour lines if you want, and you can buy City Navigator maps to add on if you want the unit to auto-route (used to get from point A to point B on city streets, etc).

If you buy the Colorado, there are different flavors of the unit available. The low-end unit comes with a simple basemap (again which has most US and state roads, but that's about it), or you can get the Topo map built in for a few more $$. If you want to use the Colorado for auto-routing on street-level maps, you'd still need to buy the City Navigator maps.

When faced with the same choice a few months ago, I bought a 60CSx. It seems to be the Garmin workhorse of all of their handheld lines. With the Colorado rebate, I suspect that they will be closing out that line after the new 2009 electronics show in January, but that's just a hunch on my end, no facts here to back that up.

Van

Edited by vwaldoguy

Thanks- now do what additional software/maps do I need to buy- I live in SW Georgia and will be concentrating in the southeast.

You don't need to buy any maps, but Topo and/or City Navigator will come in handy. City Navgator is better if you will be doing mostly urban and suburban park n grabs and if you want your GPS to give you turn by turn driving directions. City Navigator also has a database of millions of business and services so if you want to find the nearest gas station, theater, restaurant, marina, campground, hotel, mall, etc., City Navigator will tell you where it is and how to get there. On the downside, City Navigator shows limited terrain features. Only major bodies of water are shown. Most smaller rivers, ponds and streams aren't on it. Topo doesn't do turn by turn driving directions.

Topo on the other hand shows most bodies of water - even small streams. Topo also shows terrain features such as hills, ravines, cliffs, swamps and moutains. Though Topo shows most streets, only the major ones are named and the street maps are very old, so some newer streets are missing in many areas. But if you venture away from the road for hiking, backpacking, geocaching, hunting, off roading, birdwatching, etc., Topo is a valuable tool.

Ideally you'll have both and switch between them as needed (they can run concurrently on your unit), but if you can only afford one, you'll have to decide which better fits your needs.

Edited by briansnat

Garmin sells a Southeast USA/Puerto Rico microSD card topo map. I think MegaGPS has the best price, about $77 incl shipping. The Garmin part number is 010-C0909-00. It's reasonably up to date as topo maps go. I've used it for geocaching and general navigation in Florida with good success.

Jim

Ideally you need both maps.

If you think you will ever want to use both city navigation maps and topo maps at the same time, be sure to get them on DVD/CD and not on disk. If they are on the DVD/CD you can also use them on your computer.

I load both to my 60CSx and toggle between them as needed.

I use City Select (It's since been replaced by City Navigator) and US TOPO, which has three disks East, West, and Alaska / Hawaii. There are newer topo maps out, too, but they really aren't much different.

The City Navigator map will bring the auto-routing features of your gps to life and make your unit work for you the way it really should. We use it all the time while traveling, to find caches and to locate our hotel, places to eat, entertainment sites, the nearest gas station, etc.

The totp maps are invaluable when we go out near areas with lots of creeks and ponds. Only the largest bodies of water are marked on the city maps, but the topo has nearly all of them.

Ideally you need both maps.

If you think you will ever want to use both city navigation maps and topo maps at the same time, be sure to get them on DVD/CD and not on disk. If they are on the DVD/CD you can also use them on your computer.

I load both to my 60CSx and toggle between them as needed.

I use City Select (It's since been replaced by City Navigator) and US TOPO, which has three disks East, West, and Alaska / Hawaii. There are newer topo maps out, too, but they really aren't much different.

The City Navigator map will bring the auto-routing features of your gps to life and make your unit work for you the way it really should. We use it all the time while traveling, to find caches and to locate our hotel, places to eat, entertainment sites, the nearest gas station, etc.

The totp maps are invaluable when we go out near areas with lots of creeks and ponds. Only the largest bodies of water are marked on the city maps, but the topo has nearly all of them.

Thanks- I saw a previous post about using a SD card format- had an excellent price-but I think having both is better. Now the fun part- price shopping.

I'm following this thread, I'm in the same boat. 60 CSx or the Colorado.

Hope you're learning- really good advice out there. I bought the 60CSx, now I'm looking for topo and street maps. Also, since the book I am reading suggest having a good compass, I am looking for a good one of those. My problem is that there are no sports/outdoor stores within 75 miles to go look at the real thing. Internet shopping is fine-but sometimes I need to put my eyeballs on the real deal and then verify the best price.

Between the 60 and the Colorado.... I would definitely buy the 76CSx as it beats both of them. And if you want to add maps, get the Mapsource TOPO 2008.

For pricing, you can hardly beat Amazon.com for any of this stuff!

That unit is identical to the 60CSx just in a different case that floats.

Two other differences - the 76 hangs upside down from the lanyard connection, and doesn't have a belt hanger.

Not true. They are both internally and externally different. Just for example: The 76 has a larger screen, is designed for the marine environment, accepts lithium batteries, comes with a larger capacity SD memory card, and uses an internal patch antenna. The 60 is for woodland use, does not accept lithium batteries, and uses an external helix antenna. The 60 also has the poor ergonomic controls located at the bottom so it requires two hands to operate. The 76 has the original Garmin 40-series controls at the top so the unit can be run single handed while you're on the move.

As for lanyards, if you hang the unit from the top (like the 60) then it will be upside down every time you pick it up. By hanging a device from the bottom, it is right side up when you grab it.

Not true. They are both internally and externally different. Just for example: The 76 has a larger screen, is designed for the marine environment, accepts lithium batteries, comes with a larger capacity SD memory card, and uses an internal patch antenna. The 60 is for woodland use, does not accept lithium batteries, and uses an external helix antenna. The 60 also has the poor ergonomic controls located at the bottom so it requires two hands to operate. The 76 has the original Garmin 40-series controls at the top so the unit can be run single handed while you're on the move.

As for lanyards, if you hang the unit from the top (like the 60) then it will be upside down every time you pick it up. By hanging a device from the bottom, it is right side up when you grab it.

the 60 series can use lithium batteries.....I have certainly used them in my 60C.

I use my 60C with 1 hand frequently. Buttons are identical to the 60CSx.

A 2GB card runs about $10 these days so any of the included cards are a joke.

The screen on the 76 is slightly taller (by 3 millimeters), but the total pixel count is the same, so there's no additional information displayed.

The 76 does float, but that's about the extent of the "marine" capabilities that the 60 doesn't have.

The 76 does not have a patch antenna. It has a quad-helix, just like the 60. It's simply all contained within the case.

The 60's smaller form-factor makes it easy to grasp, and is easily operated by one hand.

As previously noted, that size of the memory card is irrelevent, since no one uses them with 2GB cards available for $5.

Since the 60 has a belt hanger, and the lanyard/hand strap connector is at the top, regardless of which you use, it holds the antenna in the optimal upright position.

Edited by Prime Suspect

I have both the 60CSx and the Colorado 400t. I loved my 60CSx while I used it and it makes a great backup unit. The Colorado is far superior Geocaching GPS. People who say otherwise have either used/seen a defective unit or are resistant to change. There are a few minor things the 60CSx has that the Colorado doesn't but I have never used them for Geocaching. There are MANY things the Colorado has that the 60CSx doesn't and these are the things that are used for Geocaching. The only thing I wish the Colorado had was averaging. Otherwise I love my Colorado and would have a hard time going back.

StaticTank

I have been doing trails with GPS for quite a while, though I am new to geocaching. I can say that my experience with the Colorado 400T has been nothing short of excellent. When I originally looked at it, I was under the impression that it was also a "real" PDA. It is not, especially when comparing it to a Palm or Windows PDA. It has a simple alarm clock, shows a calender, though it does not allow the setting of events. I tried geocaching on my Treo 800W and it worked, but I was not as impressed with it as with the real hand held units.

I thought of going with the Oregon 400T due to the touch screen; however, as it has no other significant differences with the Colorado 400T, I opted to stay with the Colorado.

I have both the 60CSx and the Colorado 400t. I loved my 60CSx while I used it and it makes a great backup unit. The Colorado is far superior Geocaching GPS. People who say otherwise have either used/seen a defective unit or are resistant to change. There are a few minor things the 60CSx has that the Colorado doesn't but I have never used them for Geocaching. There are MANY things the Colorado has that the 60CSx doesn't and these are the things that are used for Geocaching. The only thing I wish the Colorado had was averaging. Otherwise I love my Colorado and would have a hard time going back.

StaticTank

OT : "60 CSx vs. Colorado" both excellent units! I'd probably go with the Colorado, because of the Wherigo capability, though I recognize that is a very minor, or non-consideration for many cachers.

Amazon has the Colorado 300 at $230 and there is a $50 Garmin rebate for an end price of $180. The 60CSx is still above $260.

You got me excited with that! but it ain't so. Maybe $330 at the time of your post, but I'm not finding that now.

It's $312 currently.

The rebate expired 12/31/08. I knew that, and waffled about buying while the rebate was available...didn't do it.

I have a 40% off gps at Best Buy coupon too, also expired yesterday. Now that was a deal, but I didn't jump on it, as I own a number of functioning gps and PDA units. Maybe by the time my current gps dies, the ideal unit will exist. I've cached with a buddy with the Oregon. Sweet, but isn't running Wherigo properly.... as a Wherigo owner, and enthusiast, this is a real drawback.

Well we purchased the GPSMAP 60CSx - found it at sports Chalet for $399 on sale for $349, but they price matched the WalMart sales price of $300......I brought it home and everything in there is for Kansas....I live in CA. I take it outside and it can't locate any satalites....I go to the Garmin site and find that FAQ "can't locate a GPS fix"...I download the Webupdated and update my GPS...says I have the latest version...update it anyway to get rid of Kansas....put in new batteries....nothing.....outside for over an hour and have different satalites, but no fix.....come back in...go to FAQ again....hold down page, menu and on buttons at the same time then I'm suppose to choose Yes....but Yes never comes up as an option....

How on earth do I fix our home base location? I'm in Beaumont, CA...not sure that make a difference.

I own both a 76CSx and a Colorado 300. The 76CSx served me well (and still does, as well as being a unit I can now lend to friends either when they come caching with me, or if they want to try caching on their own). My primary reason for getting the Colorado was the paperless features. I'd previously been using a GSAK macro to store cache details in the contact list on my iPod. It worked fairly well but did have its limitations.

Initially I was rather disappointed with the Colorado. The interface is a bit clunky compared to the 76CSx, but I was willing to overlook that. My main issue was with accuracy problems - specifically the "drift" issues that could sometimes be as much as 600ft. Not much use for caching if you're not even in the right ballpark.

A firmware upgrade a while ago (2.7? 2.8? I forget) appears to have fixed the accuracy issues and I'm now very happy with the Colorado. The interface is still a bit clunky, and for some baffling reason you can't do waypoint averaging (there simply isn't an option to let you do it). Prior to the accuracy problems being fixed, I would not have recommended the Colorado - I would have suggested the 76CSx instead. For non-geocachers I probably still would, but if paperless caching is something you want I'd say the Colorado with the latest firmware is pretty solid.

Edited by Crid

I own both a 76CSx and a Colorado 300. The 76CSx served me well (and still does, as well as being a unit I can now lend to friends either when they come caching with me, or if they want to try caching on their own). My primary reason for getting the Colorado was the paperless features. I'd previously been using a GSAK macro to store cache details in the contact list on my iPod. It worked fairly well but did have its limitations.

Initially I was rather disappointed with the Colorado. The interface is a bit clunky compared to the 76CSx, but I was willing to overlook that. My main issue was with accuracy problems - specifically the "drift" issues that could sometimes be as much as 600ft. Not much use for caching if you're not even in the right ballpark.

A firmware upgrade a while ago (2.7? 2.8? I forget) appears to have fixed the accuracy issues and I'm now very happy with the Colorado. The interface is still a bit clunky, and for some baffling reason you can't do waypoint averaging (there simply isn't an option to let you do it). Prior to the accuracy problems being fixed, I would not have recommended the Colorado - I would have suggested the 76CSx instead. For non-geocachers I probably still would, but if paperless caching is something you want I'd say the Colorado with the latest firmware is pretty solid.

Any thoughts about the touch screen on the Oregon 400t versus the wheel on the Colorado 400t? I am seriously looking at getting rid of my Colorado 400t for a Oregon 400t.